ImageImageImageImageImage

OG extension signed: 4 years $72 million

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Re: OG extension signed: 4 years $72 million 

Post#281 » by Steelo Green » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:34 pm

MessiahUjiri wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:
A bigger and stronger Covington/PJ Tucker is something every championship team would love to have.

This is the deflection tactic used.

Rightful criticism of OG being offensively challenged and it’s “well he’s still useful”.

No one is debating OG is a bad player. Just a limited one offensively.

Him being 23 with time is irrelevant when he doesn’t have the skills to improve his O.

Sorry he is not the player you wished for.

Huh?

If you look above, everyone here is saying Fred and Norm are taking touches away and the ability is there.

The problem with OG is other people thinking he is something he is not. I am fine with what OG does, but he won't all of a sudden become a top 3 scorer on a team just because he's young and people hope for it.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,810

Post#282 » by ash_k » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:59 pm

Steelo Green wrote:
ruckus wrote:
ash_k wrote:after last night game, I really can't see any reason why he cant do 15ppg/7rpg/1bpg/1spg MINIMUM(again) this season.

Last night, it had limited chances outside of his WIDE-open 3pt shots but still did
8pts/8rbs/2blks/3stls
He should have at least knocked down 2 of his 5 3pt shots

OG can be a 15-20 ppg player without having to create for himself by just being active. Those 8 points that he scored all came by taking advantage of opportunity instead of forcing his offense. Then if he can make 2 or 3 threes a night, hes right there.

You guys realize that humping from 8-11 points per game to 15-20 is a huge jump right?

It's not just as simple as make those shots you missed. Who knows if he gets those looks next game, and of course the issue of him not being able to create good looks.

OG at best can hope to be RoCo or Ariza. That isn't an insult, just a reality.

You guys are hoping for somtething that won't happen.

He passively averaged 10 points last year. He is a 40% 3PT shooter. He can score 10 pts just off his size/athleticism/strength.
He has all the tools to average 5 more points (at least) than last year.
But of course, feel free to have your reality.
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,666

Post#283 » by C_Money » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:02 pm

Psubs wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:With Fred on the floor, he's not getting the ball. Malachi would make OG a much better scorer.

So you're telling me a rookie is the key to unlocking OG? It isn't that OG is extremely limited in what he can actually do offensively?

With FVV and Powell on the floor with him, OG has to create for himself more which he isn't quite advanced yet.

FVV just got extended so he's not going anywhere. Powell must go.

Powell must go because your favorite player OG isn’t getting enough shots, lol. I’m getting flashbacks to the Bargnani days here.
Steelo Green
RealGM

Post#284 » by Steelo Green » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:05 pm

ash_k wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:
ruckus wrote:
OG can be a 15-20 ppg player without having to create for himself by just being active. Those 8 points that he scored all came by taking advantage of opportunity instead of forcing his offense. Then if he can make 2 or 3 threes a night, hes right there.

You guys realize that humping from 8-11 points per game to 15-20 is a huge jump right?

It's not just as simple as make those shots you missed. Who knows if he gets those looks next game, and of course the issue of him not being able to create good looks.

He passively averaged 10 points last year. He is a 40% 3PT shooter. He can score 10 pts just off his size/athleticism/strength.

My reality is a player who in 3 years has averaged less than 10 points a game over their career, and last year a career high almost 11 with nothing really increasing except some usage. He has been the same player since his rookie year. His rookie TS was 59 and last year 60, if we increase his usage he will decrease the efficiency, but we don't run more plays because he just doesn't have much offensive talent.

You don't just jump 5 points on hopes and feelings.

He scores most of his points from assisted baskets, and without Kyle it will look even worse.

What tools are you talking about? Players have tools, Joey Graham looked amazing physically, but he simply isn't skilled.

OG is not going to be a scorer in the NBA, sorry to burst your bubblee.
ash_k
RealGM

Post#285 » by ash_k » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:09 pm

Steelo Green wrote:
ash_k wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:You guys realize that humping from 8-11 points per game to 15-20 is a huge jump right?

My reality is a player who in 3 years has averaged less than 10 points a game over their career, and last year a career high almost 11 with nothing really increasing except some usage. He has been the same player since his rookie year. His rookie TS was 59 and last year 60, if we increase his usage he will decrease the efficiency, but we don't run more plays because he just doesn't have much offensive talent.

He scores most of his points from assisted baskets, and without Kyle it will look even worse.

What tools are you talking about? Players have tools, Joey Graham looked amazing physically, but he simply isn't skilled.

like I said feel free to have your reality:Like comparing Joey Graham to OG or like 'scoring 15 pts in the NBA' means "being a scorer in the NBA". Enjoy OG's growth this season.
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Post#286 » by Chandan » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:49 pm

ash_k wrote:He passively averaged 10 points last year. He is a 40% 3PT shooter. He can score 10 pts just off his size/athleticism/strength.

then why doesn't he?

that's a question worth asking. it looks like he can do what u described. Why can't he at least be Ben Simmons without the passing game?

why are we trying to expanding his offensive repertoire when he can't even be an effective garbage man. Really, is he even better than Rondae offensively inside the three point line?
ash_k
RealGM

Post#287 » by ash_k » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:37 pm

Chandan wrote:
ash_k wrote:He passively averaged 10 points last year. He is a 40% 3PT shooter. He can score 10 pts just off his size/athleticism/strength.

then why doesn't he?

that's a question worth asking. it looks like he can do what u described. Why can't he at least be Ben Simmons without the passing game?

why are we trying to expanding his offensive repertoire when he can't even be an effective garbage man. Really, is he even better than Rondae offensively inside the three point line?

Game 1 out of the 72, let's check back at about Game 23.
Last year, he showed great signs offensively. Under this management, I fully expect him to reach his potential. Until then, nothing should stop him from averaging 15pts this season.
nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,778

Post#288 » by nestea » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:39 pm

Probably little to excited to prove his worth last night. He'll settle down.
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#289 » by Pooh_Jeter » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:39 am

ruckus wrote:
ash_k wrote:after last night game, I really can't see any reason why he cant do 15ppg/7rpg/1bpg/1spg MINIMUM(again) this season.

Last night, it had limited chances outside of his WIDE-open 3pt shots but still did
8pts/8rbs/2blks/3stls
He should have at least knocked down 2 of his 5 3pt shots

The numbers you are throwing out have no basis in reality.

Last season 12 players made 3 or more three pointers per game and OG isn't even close to that class of shooter. Look at what a Duncan Robinson or even a Matt Thomas on this team have to do to get their 3 point shots off. OG does not run off pin downs, he does not shoot well under duress or when his shooting motion is interrupted. He is not just a one dimensional offensive player, he is a one dimensional shooter.

15-20 PPG is quite the range. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility he could sniff near 15 points, but where is the consistency? Do you really think that a 5th option on the floor needs to be force fed shots? Only 27 players scored 20+ PPG last year.

Ron Artest only averaged over 20 PPG once. Shawn Marion twice and even Kyle Lowry twice. Do you think OG is even close to those class of players or are you completely in the tank for OG?
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Steelo Green
RealGM

Post#290 » by Steelo Green » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:01 am

ash_k wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:

like I said feel free to have your reality:Like comparing Joey Graham to OG or like 'scoring 15 pts in the NBA' means "being a scorer in the NBA". Enjoy OG's growth this season.

I’m sorry, what?

What is this deflection tactic now.

You said he could score 5 more points based on his tools. I knew of a Raptor once who was physically gifted more so than anyone to be a good scorer and nothing came of it. I’m responding to the logic you used and giving an example.

You either do or you don’t. As of now I have 3 years of empirical data, and then yesterday where he looks like nothing has improved at all in terms of creating off the dribble or drives to the basket, and you have your hopes and feelings of he will break out because he will?

Even in the playoffs against Boston he averaged 12 on 13.5% usage.

The Raptors would love a wing player who could create some scoring, but OG isn’t that guy.

15 points in the NBA is a far cry from 10. I could say well OG is only 5 points away from 5 points too and you would say that’s crazy to think of such a huge backwards jump. Where is this arbitrary 5 points number even coming from?

OG averaged 11 in his sophomore year at Indiana.

He was like the 200th recruit out of high school not known for scoring ability.

But let’s see in 20 games if he’s at 12 PPG and people will be excited for his “huge growth” from skills he doesn’t have.
Steelo Green
RealGM

Post#291 » by Steelo Green » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:03 am

ash_k wrote:
Chandan wrote:

then why doesn't he?

Game 1 out of the 72, let's check back at about Game 23.
Last year, he showed great signs offensively. Under this management, I fully expect him to reach his potential. Until then, nothing should stop him from averaging 15pts this season.

What signs has he shown offensively. Tell me. What skills does OG have that are different from the year before?

He showed leaps and bounds to go from what 8 to 10.5 PPG? And you expect it to jump to 15 without him having any creation ability and his best playmaker getting older?
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,255

Post#292 » by SurgeIblocka » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:49 pm

Man the hot takes on this board after just one game on OG, Fred and Baynes lol. OG will be just fine and will show his worth throughout the season. Fred may be overpaid but he also has a champions mentality which Pascal does not, lets give him some time to settle in this year, one game is far too early to be calling for his head. The same people were calling for his head in the Philly series during the title run and he proved everyone wrong. Baynes may not be as good as Ibaka or Gasol but he was never the 1st option, Masai wanted him to backup Serge. He is a stop gap until we find a solution later on.
raptoradical
Sixth Man
And1: 1,224

Post#293 » by raptoradical » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:38 pm

You guys are trippin! I thought getting a championship should give you more faith in an organization, but it's seemed like it's made it worse.

It's only been one game bro. This is just a team that needed a full preseason as aposed to the one, or lack of one we just had and even if we had a regular preseason still there's a type of settling period the team needs. But what's to be so disappointed about, unless you had hopes of them making the championship. At least that would make more sense for this reaction imo.
Inevitable wrote:Magic Johnson meets Kawhi meets Giannis.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#294 » by Scott Hall » Fri Jan 1, 2021 3:02 am

Man I had high hopes for OG evolving offensively and it's still early.... but 1-10 against the **** Knicks
with Siakam out is unacceptable!
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#295 » by Westside Gunn » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:28 am

i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,666

Post#296 » by C_Money » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:34 am

Looking forward to more OG, Stanley Johnson lineups where we don’t score a basket for 5 minutes, lol.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,904

Post#297 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:44 am

He's been awful on the offensive end. Which is a damn shame because he looked real good in the Boston series.
Handles are back to being sh*t, way too hesitant, no rhythm, lacks offensive awareness, shots are waaaaaay off, etc.
I really like OG and hope he can return to form soon.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#298 » by TheBoi10 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:53 am

Hypebeast Aminu has no offensive talent
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,062

Post#299 » by rarefind » Fri Jan 1, 2021 5:52 am

I've taken the over on O.G. scoring over 10.5 and lost both times.

He looks like a cabbage again.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#300 » by Kingsway_fan » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:13 pm

Worst contract on the team.... Masai overpay and too impatient ... should have waited to season end...

Return to Toronto Raptors