ImageImageImageImageImage

Only Two NBA Teams Have Won a Chip With Their Own Top 3 Pick Since the 1990 Draft

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Re: Only NBA Team Has Won a Chip with the #1 Pick in the Last 20 Years 

Post#221 » by Pooh_Jeter » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:44 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
You are not getting a star player from 7-15 unless its kind of a fluke, but definitely it is not common at all. And the star player has been your entire sticking point, The entire idea of tanking it to get to the top of the lottery, but the lottery odds are so bad it will so much ore often than not take more than a year unless you get incredibly lucky.

It's kind of a fluke getting a star player in general as the Raptors can attest to with the Kawhi deal. Yes, higher picks are better, which is why I'm advocating for using EVERYTHING at a GMs disposal. Lottery picks, trading vets for picks/young players and weaponizing cap space for extra assets.

Just like having a top 3 pick makes it more likely you get a star than say the 15th pick, so does have a multitude of high upside young players and draft picks. It's about playing the probabilities and people who are banking on another Kawhi deal are playing the short stick in this scenario. Same goes for those who want to stay pat and hope and pray that a mid-late 20s pick turns into a Tony Parker/Manu, etc. etc.

There is nothing controversial about this take. If you don't have the stomach for a rebuild, cool, but don't try to tell me that it's just as or more likely the Raptors get a star banking on another Kawhi deal or some incredible Jokic pick.

First off, I've said for 6 months now that this year was a lost year where we don't compete. So don't try and tell me I don't have "the stomach" for a rebuild when you're late to the party. This is just the start.

2nd... i swear... people here change their argument by the day. You want a star player, so now it's not tanking we need.. it just incredible luck ...by just finishing out of the playoffs and drafting a star. You also seem to be mistaken that there is an incredible difference between the quality of players you get between 10 and 20 on average.

And you keep harping on Ujiri while saying one in a million (which is a complete **** fallacy), even though he managed to make a one in a million trade? Pick a lane. The reality is that stars are moving more and more every single year now. It's not the improbability you're pretending it is. The reality is... We aren't good enough to trade for a star right now. And when we get a star, we may have the same problems keeping him that other teams are facing if we suck, and it's why stars are moving.

It was a general statement, but thanks for your usual condescending attitude!

What? You're literally making up stuff I've said. Of course there is luck involved, there is no guarantee with anything. The higher in the draft you pick the better the available talent. Picking 1st means you get your choice of prospect, picking 30th means you don't have 30 prospects to choose from, I don't think that needs further explanation. If you want to make a definitive statement like there isn't a major difference in quality between picks 10 and 20 provide some actual evidence and not just your own opinion.

It's already been covered ad naseum that a player of Kawhi's calibre being available and for a discounted price is extremely rare. You really got me when you took "One in a million" as a literal statement. Even if it was, that doesn't preclude something from happening you know, once.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,112

Post#222 » by xAIRNESSx » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:49 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
How is more sensible that you two think my argument is "The Raptors should aim to finish JUST out of playoff position" and not "You can still get really good players even deep in the lottery?"

This answers your 2nd point. If anything there have been more draft picks being traded the last few years, but they are typically swaps and years down the road with various protections like you said. Hinkie and Griffin have proven you can take advantage of desperate GMs though.

You are not getting a star player from 7-15 unless its kind of a fluke, but definitely it is not common at all. And the star player has been your entire sticking point, The entire idea of tanking it to get to the top of the lottery, but the lottery odds are so bad it will so much ore often than not take more than a year unless you get incredibly lucky.

It's kind of a fluke getting a star player in general as the Raptors can attest to with the Kawhi deal. Yes, higher picks are better, which is why I'm advocating for using EVERYTHING at a GMs disposal. Lottery picks, trading vets for picks/young players and weaponizing cap space for extra assets.

Just like having a top 3 pick makes it more likely you get a star than say the 15th pick, so does have a multitude of high upside young players and draft picks. It's about playing the probabilities and people who are banking on another Kawhi deal are playing the short stick in this scenario. Same goes for those who want to stay pat and hope and pray that a mid-late 20s pick turns into a Tony Parker/Manu, etc. etc.

There is nothing controversial about this take. If you don't have the stomach for a rebuild, cool, but don't try to tell me that it's just as or more likely the Raptors get a star banking on another Kawhi deal or some incredible Jokic pick

If the goal is to get star players, yes, we would have a better chance of getting them through higher draft picks.

If the goal is for the Raptors to win the championship, the "realistic" scenarios would be the Detroit, Boston, Dallas, Golden State (before Durant) and Toronto championships which is to go where your team takes you through solid drafting/shrewd acquisitions and basically a whole lot of luck.

Why are you in such a hurry to rebuild when we had the second best record last season and we're only 2 games into this season? Winning a championship is statistically improbable no matter what the team does, so I don't really understand what the rush to suck is.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,934

Re: Only Two NBA Teams Have Won a Chip With Their Own Top 3 Pick Since 1990 

Post#223 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:08 pm

KL78192020 wrote:
planetmars wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:
Is Masai a good GM or not? If hes good and making trades and finding draft gems later, why can't he find stars in the lottery?

He's not a god either though. He drafted Bruno and Daniels over a few good players available.. including Jokic. He could miss, and then that season would have been a complete waste.

Right so if he had better odds to draft a player lets say in the top 10 versus the 20-30 he might do better. This whole debate really is a moot point. The Raptors will naturally suck in the next few years and end up in the lottery, no forced tank necessary.

So then why are you even in this thread? The Raptors will be where you want them to be, organically.

The reality is that they'll have as much of a chance of landing LeBron James or Tim Duncan as they would being good and trading for Kawhi again.
wtcantfw
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,578

Post#224 » by wtcantfw » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:32 pm

Thread title needs to be changed. "Only two top-3 picks since 1990 have won a title with the team that drafted them" is what OP means.

I can think of several championship teams that have "won a title with their own top 3 pick since 1990" - Bulls (Jordan #3), Rockets (Olajuwon #1), Spurs (Duncan#1), Cavs (Lebron #1).
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Re: Only Two NBA Teams Have Won a Chip With Their Own Top 3 Pick Since the 1990 Draft 

Post#225 » by MavCarter » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:10 pm

It amazes me how we literally have a formula for how this franchise can win a championship and people still bring up the "herp derp derp we need top 3 picks muh tanking" like its 2013. Trying to compete, drafting well no matter where you draft, collecting assets and making good cap decisions in the long run is a much better formula than depending on lottery balls and falling into a rabbit hole of bad season after bad season and ruined culture only for you to draft markelle fultz and marvin bagley and lonzo ball etc etc. Tanking hasnt worked for a majority of the teams that have tried it and even though some of them have drafted good players they've had an extremely hard time getting themselves out of the losing culture theyve implemented
#Enjoytheride
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Re: Only Two NBA Teams Have Won a Chip With Their Own Top 3 Pick Since the 1990 Draft 

Post#226 » by Danny1616 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:14 pm

MavCarter wrote:It amazes me how we literally have a formula for how this franchise can win a championship and people still bring up the "herp derp derp we need top 3 picks muh tanking" like its 2013. Trying to compete, drafting well no matter where you draft, collecting assets and making good cap decisions in the long run is a much better formula than depending on lottery balls and falling into a rabbit hole of bad season after bad season and ruined culture only for you to draft markelle fultz and marvin bagley and lonzo ball etc etc. Tanking hasnt worked for a majority of the teams that have tried it and even though some of them have drafted good players they've had an extremely hard time getting themselves out of the losing culture theyve implemented

100%.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant

Post#227 » by Pooh_Jeter » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:51 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
MavCarter wrote:It amazes me how we literally have a formula for how this franchise can win a championship and people still bring up the "herp derp derp we need top 3 picks muh tanking" like its 2013. Trying to compete, drafting well no matter where you draft, collecting assets and making good cap decisions in the long run is a much better formula than depending on lottery balls and falling into a rabbit hole of bad season after bad season and ruined culture only for you to draft markelle fultz and marvin bagley and lonzo ball etc etc. Tanking hasnt worked for a majority of the teams that have tried it and even though some of them have drafted good players they've had an extremely hard time getting themselves out of the losing culture theyve implemented

100%.

The formula is desperately hoping for another Kawhi trade? :lol:

Winning a championship is hard, there is no perfect formula. Even if you want to say that the Raptors as an organization have made 100% of the right moves, it still took an incredible set of circumstances to win.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#228 » by MavCarter » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:14 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:

100%.

Winning a championship is hard, there is no perfect formula. Even if you want to say that the Raptors as an organization have made 100% of the right moves, it still took an incredible set of circumstances to win.

In the last 15 drafts 4 teams who have drafted in the top 5 have actually gone on to win championships. The celtics (traded the pick), the heat (michael beasley), Raptors (JV) and the cavs (kyrie). Leveraging every avenue of team building seems like a much better path to me then relying on 1 path where the hit rate is 5% in 15 years (4% if you just count the 3 that actually helped win a championship in the celtics/raptors trades for allen/marc and kyrie. None of these players were the best players on their championship teams btw)
#Enjoytheride
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,591

Post#229 » by Son Goku 25 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:22 pm

Some of you guys need to hug it out or go on vacation
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,583

Post#230 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:25 pm

Son Goku 25 wrote:Some of you guys need to hug it out or go on vacation

Don’t worry, when the Raps start winning games again a few posters will magically vanish. It’s the circle of life.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,743

Post#231 » by metafisical » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:27 pm

I would be 100% anti-tank if Toronto were a free agent magnet (e.g., LA), but we are not. A lot of people state that if we build a successful team, the free agents will come. We have been contenders for a few, if not several, seasons now. We even have a championship, but the free agents still avoid us. Free agency can never be relied on for us.

Our only options are shrewd trades and 'home run' drafts. We have had excellent trades recently that have allowed to bring in guys like Kawhi and Gasol, but some important pieces of those trades were our lottery picks (e.g., Demar, Valanciunas and Poeltl).

That's why a part of me always hopes we can occasionally have great lottery picks (either our own or some other teams). If we use those picks well, they can either turn into solid rotation players (at least) or great pieces in a trade to make us better.

Moral of the story is to embrace winning and embrace tanking. Both are great strategies. There is obviously a lot of joy in winning a championship or getting to the conference finals, but there is something less explicitly satisfying watching your team get a great lottery pick.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#232 » by Danny1616 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:33 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:

100%.

Nobody is saying that it's easy or there is a perfect formula, that's what we've been telling you for months.

You've been saying outlandish stuff while we have been saying that you need enormous luck, smart drafting/signings/trades, strong player development, accumulation of assets, and of course HEALTH. Simply tanking doesn't work, and in fact, usually doesn't work.

You've already changed your original stance which is good. Strangely, in this thread you've been arguing that semi-tanking (whatever that means) is a good strategy. Semi-tanking simply means that you are mediocre team that gets a mid-1st round, that's all it is.

So according to your definition, if we are an average team this year that wins 40-45 games and we get the 14-20th pick, that's a success, no? LOL.
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#233 » by Danny1616 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:34 pm

This is what happens when I have vacation days and I'm stuck at home due to a lockdown, dude.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant

Post#234 » by Pooh_Jeter » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:45 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
100%.

Nobody is saying that it's easy or there is a perfect formula, that's what we've been telling you for months.

You've been saying outlandish stuff while we have been saying that you need enormous luck, smart drafting/signings/trades, strong player development, accumulation of assets, and of course HEALTH. Simply tanking doesn't work, and in fact, usually doesn't work.

You've already changed your original stance which is good. Strangely, in this thread you've been arguing that semi-tanking (whatever that means) is a good strategy. Semi-tanking simply means that you are mediocre team that gets a mid-1st round, that's all it is.

So according to your definition, if we are an average team this year that wins 40-45 games and we get the 14-20th pick, that's a success, no? LOL.

You're making up stuff again.

I've always said (multiple times in this thread) that a rebuild/tank involves accumulating as many assets as possible and that involves more than JUST tanking and the end result can be accelerated depending on the circumstances.

YOU are the one who assumes tanking means praying for a #1 pick and not doing anything else. That you are calling it "semi-tanking" just shows you still don't understand what I'm trying to say. Some teams are in different situations and obviously there is no be all and end all solution for EVERY team.

You've created multiple straw mans just to try and prove your own point. I don't know if that is worse, or the blatant lies you have spouted on here in multiple threads.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#235 » by lobosloboslobos » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:51 am

planetmars wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Exactly man.

These tank commanders need to make crazy extrapolations and participate in insane mental gymnastics to justify their weird propositions.

It’s honestly mind boggling.

good luck with you dream of trading for another Kawhi in the next 25 years.

It's not a dream.. it's a tactic. It's a trend. You have to be a smart GM to see these trends. Max contracts are 5 years long.. but most have player options.. so really 4 years. Star players want chips. And they want to play with their buddies. It's become so common place now in the NBA that nobody blinks an eye when the next star wants out.

I'd rather not be a farm system for another team. I'd rather be the poacher.

That seems a totally reasonable position. I trust Masai to poach as well as anyone out there.
Skeezo
Analyst
And1: 2,737

Post#236 » by Skeezo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:15 am

Bit of revisionist history in this thread...

First off, before we were a Championship Team were were a Top 6 contending team for 3 straight years... Those contending teams included DeRozan (#9), JV (#5), Ross (#8), Poeltl (#9), and Lowry (#12 pick used to acquire via trade)... Excluding Lowry, all of those "lottery picks" were then used to acquire Leonard, Ibaka, and Gasol... Facts are, unless you are in a free agent glamor market than teams need lottery picks to acquire top-end talent either through draft or trade. As a result, every team has to plan for some down years as a means of gaining higher ceiling talent.

It's historically and statistically proven, the higher the pick typically produces better chances of obtaining higher quality talent... Stars >> All Stars >> Starters >> Bench ... If this wasn't true then tanking would never be a thing, and there would be no reason for the lottery to begin with. Point is, we need higher-ceiling talent, and the easiest way to obtaining that type of talent is through a higher position in the draft. Luckily for us, we have some of the best evaluators of talent in league... What that means is we may not need to draft in the Top 3 to get that talent, but Masai and Bobby certainly need to get higher than Top 20 to have a better chance of drafting an identified player.

Second, those that don't want to go into a mode of future asset-building (trade Lowry, Powell), and would rather run-out the clock on Lowry, are seeking the "Hail Mary" idea of trading for a star like Harden and go back to contending status. What this argument fails to realize is that to keep a decent team around Harden means the Raps have to mortgage likely future lottery picks... Much like BK picks became lottery picks for Boston, the same will occur for OKC with LAC picks for P.George, and the same if we trade for Harden.

We also need to remember, half the reason why teams like Boston, Denver, Miami never seemed to tank or whose pain was short-lived was because of how they leveraged franchise players aging and otherwise into future assets... Masai, reaped a windfall in the Melo trade... Boston's Pierce and KG trade is legendary... In Miami, Riley refused to pay Wade which certainly helped aid putting the Heat in the lottery that year where they drafted Adebayo. This is the reason why there are many people saying maybe it's time to cash in on Lowry and Powell now, because it is likely both are gone next year anyways.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,430

Post#237 » by KL78192020 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:11 am

Danny1616 wrote:

This is what happens when I have vacation days and I'm stuck at home due to a lockdown, dude.

lol haven't posted this much in 10 years. **** get heated lol keeps the day interesting. We can disagree on strategy but its all good.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,760

Post#238 » by Duffman100 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:49 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Boston didn't have to tank because they got lottery picks from the Nets.

Milwaukee got Giannis in the lottery.

Miami got Herro and Bam in the lottery.

Denver got Jamal Murray in the lottery.

Utah got Donovan Mitchell in the lottery.

I don't understand how you can be this dense. Rebuilding or tanking doesn't mean you have to go full scorched Earth and be a 10 win team especially with the lottery odds being flattened out.

1) Milwaukee was a legitimate treadmill team before they got Giannis. In 2011 they won 35 games, in 2012 they won 31 games, and in 2012 they won 38 games. They had the 13th overall pick because they were a slightly below average team.

2) Miami was also a treadmill team that won 44 games in 2018 and 39 games in 2019. They never tanked. They were in the playoffs one year and finished 9th the next year.

3) Utah won 40 games the year they drafted Mitchell. They had just missed the playoffs.

Again, another pathetic and dumbass argument on your part. The teams you mentioned were all mediocre teams still fighting for a playoff spot. None of them tanked.

According to your idiotic logic, the strategy is to get around 40 wins every year, maybe finish in the 7-10 range and hopefully find an all-star in the top 10-15 range? You think we are a mediocore team now...so then what's the problem? You should be **** praising this team for being average according to your stupid a$$ logic. If we win 40 games and finish in 8th, that's exactly what you are telling us to do LMAO.

You are so weird, dude.

Miami traded away all the bad contracts they had and then retooled. They actively gave up on the playoffs in order to secure a lottery pick. You do realize you can tank for something other than a #1 pick, right? Read any of the local beat writers and they will say the same thing.

Milwaukee was already on a downward trajectory. They got Giannis then were the 2nd pick the next year.

I forgot that Mitchell was actually acquired in a trade. They dealt a pick and Lyles FOR a lottery pick.

Nice, personal insults. Glad you are level headed.

If you think that is what I am advocating you must have a reading comprehension issue. The whole point is that you don't need the #1 or even a top 3 pick to get a talented player. That being said, the higher in the draft the better. You can also actually use the assets you amass during a rebuild to trade for players too. It's a lose cause being reasonable with you though.

For everyone's sake, can you two please stop interacting with each other?
Nebuchadnezzar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,848

Post#239 » by Nebuchadnezzar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:51 pm

Let's keep boosting this post, sorely needed. Actual evidence. Tankers please respond with evidence in kind.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,748

Post#240 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:20 pm

It's mostly amusing, since a competent FO like the Raps' would never go scorched earth and truly bottom out. To be specific, it's the futility of the conversation that amuses me.

Imagine eroding the foundation of what makes you a strong franchise year-over-year for the pipe dream of a high-lotto pick. It's as if these folks don't realize that the same thing that allows the Raps to find value late in the draft (OG, Pascal, Flynn, FVV etc.) prevents them from ever really having a great shot at a top 4 pick.

I'll take the well-run franchise thanks :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors