ImageImageImageImageImage

Why its time to trade Kyle Lowry

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,232

Re: Why its time to trade Kyle Lowry 

Post#181 » by sidsid » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:40 am

tecumseh18 wrote:Raps are NOT getting Maxey. At least not before the trade deadline, and not even then unless Heat engage hard in the bidding war for Lowry.

I'd be happy with a couple of top five protected firsts from the Sixers - 2022 and 2024. The double cohort year, and who knows where they'll be in 2024.

This is the path. All this Maxey talk. Philly is looking for players who can produce now and having low cost assets (rookie contracts) who can play is extremely valuable to them. And these guys can fall off at any time but severely limit the amount of assets you can extract in a trade.

You're better off looking for more picks, later in the future
(which carry less perceived value because of unknowns) and reducing protections.

Delayed picks down the road is the type of forward thinking that can set you up for contention if a window opens up 3-5 years from now.
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,027

Post#182 » by NotMyKawhi » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:44 am

sidsid wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:Raps are NOT getting Maxey. At least not before the trade deadline, and not even then unless Heat engage hard in the bidding war for Lowry.

I'd be happy with a couple of top five protected firsts from the Sixers - 2022 and 2024. The double cohort year, and who knows where they'll be in 2024.

This is the path. All this Maxey talk. Philly is looking for players who can produce now and having low cost assets (rookie contracts) who can play is extremely valuable to them. And these guys can fall off at any time but severely limit the amount of assets you can extract in a trade.

You're better off looking for more picks, later in the future
(which carry less perceived value because of unknowns) and reducing protections.

Delayed picks down the road is the type of forward thinking that can set you up for contention if a window opens up 3-5 years from now.

I'd take one 1st tbh bc it will be better than nothing when he walks in the off-season like ibaka did
dsdraps
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#183 » by dsdraps » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:22 am

Won't disagree with trading Lowry given that the Nets just got Harden. We don't have much of a chance at this point, and Lowry is likely leaving in the summer anyways
T-d0t
General Manager
And1: 12,914

Post#184 » by T-d0t » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:11 pm

Someone post other teams that would be interested in Lowry other than Philly. It's going to be tough to match salaries unless its a multi-team deal
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,843

Post#185 » by JShuttlesworth » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:24 pm

I don't think anyone is trading multiple FRP's for an expiring, 34 year old, Kyle Lowry. I would be happy to get a single FRP for him and a bunch of expiring contracts, it's better than losing him all together.

Three best trade options are Dallas / Miami / Philly in my opinion.

Miami could put together a deal with Olynyk + Igoudala and Dallas could work with the Hardaway + Johnson contracts to make the salaries match. I could see him re-signing with either team afterwards.

Philly is mostly interesting because it's home for Kyle, but I think people are mistaken when they say we have leverage in a Philly trade. I don't think they'll include Maxey, and I don't think they'll trade 2 FRP's. If we are going to trade him, at least he'd be going home in this scenario.
garbagnani
Starter
And1: 194

Post#186 » by garbagnani » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:26 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:I don't think anyone is trading multiple FRP's for an expiring, 34 year old, Kyle Lowry. I would be happy to get a single FRP for him and a bunch of expiring contracts, it's better than losing him all together.

Miami could put together a deal with Olynyk + Igoudala and Dallas could work with the Hardaway + Johnson contracts to make the salaries match. I could see him re-signing with either team afterwards.

Philly is mostly interesting because it's home for Kyle, but I think people are mistaken when they say we have leverage in a Philly trade. I don't think they'll include Maxey, and I don't think they'll trade 2 FRP's. If we are going to trade him, at least he'd be going home in this scenario.

+golden state. And they have assets we actually want.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager

Post#187 » by JShuttlesworth » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:30 pm

garbagnani wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:I don't think anyone is trading multiple FRP's for an expiring, 34 year old, Kyle Lowry. I would be happy to get a single FRP for him and a bunch of expiring contracts, it's better than losing him all together.

I don't necessarily know why they'd have any interest in Kyle.
T-d0t
General Manager
And1: 12,914

Post#188 » by T-d0t » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:33 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:
garbagnani wrote:

Only thing I can think of is salary cap relief from Wiggins but I think they'd rather tank and get another good pick to pair with the splash brothers next season
JShuttlesworth
General Manager

Post#189 » by JShuttlesworth » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:39 pm

T-d0t wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:
garbagnani wrote:

Only thing I can think of is salary cap relief from Wiggins but I think they'd rather tank and get another good pick to pair with the splash brothers next season

Agreed. They'd either be trying to dump Wiggins or Dray, but I don't think they'd include any lotto level picks, and I question Lowry's fit in general with that team.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,001

Post#190 » by ItsDanger » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:40 pm

Thybulle is cheap, not part of regular rotation. Therefore, available as a throw in. They would trade Maxey for the right deal. Pressure is on Sixers now.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,282

Post#191 » by JB7 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:39 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:
T-d0t wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:

Agreed. They'd either be trying to dump Wiggins or Dray, but I don't think they'd include any lotto level picks, and I question Lowry's fit in general with that team.

GSW would want Lowry for:
1) Salary and Tax relief next year (presuming Klay is back and they don't re-sign Lowry) - they would save $30 on salary alone + probably well more than that in tax?
2) A consistent 2nd option to help them on a playoff run this year (they already traded their 1st (conditional) to OKC for Oubre)

Plus GSW already has another top pick (Wolves) to draft more young talent to pair with their core for next year. I doubt they would offer that pick in a deal for Lowry, but I could see them offering a conditional future pick of theirs.

GSW cannot afford to keep on losing. They need to sell seats in their new building when they are finally able to allow fans back in, and two straight years of losing will not help.

Deal: Lowry, Davis (doubt he will re-sign with Raptors, he adds additional depth for GSW and Raps unload a looming problem) & McCaw (to fill in the lack of size GSW has on wings) for Wiggins, conditional future FRP & Chriss (salary filler for the deal - he is out for the season and his deal expires after this year).

Cap space is useless to the Raptors this offseason, as there are no quality FA's available (Kawhi will re-sign in LA). They are better off having Wiggins deal (which only has two years left after this season) which they could use as salary filler in any other future deals, since Lowry will not re-sign with the club this offseason.

Lineup:
C) Boucher (Len, Baynes)
PF) Siakam
SF) Anunoby (Watson)
SG) Wiggins (Powell, Thomas)
PG) FVV (Flynn)
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,477

Post#192 » by Brinbe » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:41 pm

I'd be happy with a first and ideally a young prospect. Doesn't have to be an A-tier guy, but at least someone.

Can Thybulle play the 3 well?
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,770

Post#193 » by Zeno » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:15 pm

The two non Philly teams that I have a feeling might have interest in Kyle are the Knicks and the Pelicans. The reason for each is somewhat similar - improve shooting to better develop a young star player and win now coaches in developmental situations. Knicks were rumored to be interested in Paul and New Orleans does this kind of thing. They signed an aging JJ and the traded and extended Adams. They obviously believe in putting young players in more focused environments.

The Knicks are an easy trade since they are under the cap by quite a bit. You just need to take back 10.8 million to make a trade work and the Knicks have a few failed draft guys that Masai and Bobby love giving a 2nd shot. For example Knox and Frankie works coming back and create a TPE of 19 million. They have the Dallas 1st next year. They have Detroit's 2nd which is almost a 1st. They have Charlotte's 2nd too. This would be a perfect return for Lowry in my opinion. Two marginal prospects/reclamation guys a early 20s 1st and two high to mid 2nds plus a valuable TPE

New Orleans is a little different. They are trading us an unprotected future Lakers pick or their own pick I don't think. They do have Cleveland and Washington's 2nd next year which will pretty high I think. A trade with them would be based on them not wanting to keep Lonzo and us having interest in him. We could trade them Lowry and Matt Thomas for Lonzo(RFA), JJ (expiring) and Melli(expiring). We could probably flip JJ for some more 2nds too. If we are willing to take on Bledsoe (which I can't see) or can find a home for him elsewhere then you could leave out Matt Thomas, JJ and Melli from this idea.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,253

Post#194 » by brownbobcat » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:49 pm

He's still playing at a very high level and would excel in a situation where he can pick his spots offensively and just concentrate on facilitating and defending. He could easily be resigned for something close to the MLE (but more years), so I don't see why it matters that he's expiring. I think a lot of people are overrating the value of expiring contracts in Toronto's situation.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 18,997

Post#195 » by DelAbbot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:51 pm

Why isn't Lowry traded yet? Longer he stays the harder to tank and more risk he gets hurt.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager

Post#196 » by JShuttlesworth » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:31 pm

Zeno wrote:

The two non Philly teams that I have a feeling might have interest in Kyle are the Knicks and the Pelicans. The reason for each is somewhat similar - improve shooting to better develop a young star player and win now coaches in developmental situations. Knicks were rumored to be interested in Paul and New Orleans does this kind of thing. They signed an aging JJ and the traded and extended Adams. They obviously believe in putting young players in more focused environments.

The Knicks are an easy trade since they are under the cap by quite a bit. You just need to take back 10.8 million to make a trade work and the Knicks have a few failed draft guys that Masai and Bobby love giving a 2nd shot. For example Knox and Frankie works coming back and create a TPE of 19 million. They have the Dallas 1st next year. They have Detroit's 2nd which is almost a 1st. They have Charlotte's 2nd too. This would be a perfect return for Lowry in my opinion. Two marginal prospects/reclamation guys a early 20s 1st and two high to mid 2nds plus a valuable TPE

New Orleans is a little different. They are trading us an unprotected future Lakers pick or their own pick I don't think. They do have Cleveland and Washington's 2nd next year which will pretty high I think. A trade with them would be based on them not wanting to keep Lonzo and us having interest in him. We could trade them Lowry and Matt Thomas for Lonzo(RFA), JJ (expiring) and Melli(expiring). We could probably flip JJ for some more 2nds too. If we are willing to take on Bledsoe (which I can't see) or can find a home for him elsewhere then you could leave out Matt Thomas, JJ and Melli from this idea.

I was going to include the Knicks, they can take on his salary easily and push for the playoffs for the first time in years. I think he'd be good for their team.

But I don't think Lowry re-signs there, so again, I'm not sure why they'd give up future picks for a few months of Lowry and a first round exit from the playoffs (at best). Especially with no fans in the seats this season to sell tickets to.

Pelicans trade is interesting for sure, Lowry would be a great fit there to close out his career with Zion / Ingram.
garbagnani
Starter
And1: 194

Post#197 » by garbagnani » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:59 pm

T-d0t wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:
garbagnani wrote:

Really? You don’t think that GS knows the value of Kyle Lowry better than anybody? Siakam too.
baller16
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,548

Post#198 » by baller16 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:05 pm

T-d0t wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:
garbagnani wrote:

GSW doesn't have time to develop a rookie when they're in win now mode with their aging core. They were looking to package the Wiseman pick before Klay went down. GSW will definitely look to flip that pick if a team is willing to give up an all-star while taking on Wiggins contract
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,494

Post#199 » by bballsparkin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:06 pm

DelAbbot wrote:Why isn't Lowry traded yet? Longer he stays the harder to tank and more risk he gets hurt.

Now that Harden is dealt it should help expedite any possible Lowry trades.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,885

Post#200 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:26 pm

T-d0t wrote:Someone post other teams that would be interested in Lowry other than Philly. It's going to be tough to match salaries unless its a multi-team deal

Miami. Olynyk, Iggy, Duncan Robinson + pick for KL, Davis and Bembry is my guess. Best Raps can hope for is one overachiever, a Toronto big and Father time plus heavily protected pick.

Gonna look like:

Paskal/Boucher/OG
Fred/Duncan Robinson
Kelly,
Malachi, Stanley, Matt, Watson, Len, Yuta

Norm dealt and Iggy bought out to join playoff team. Baynes deadline dealt as well. Raps look to have three FRPs next two offseasons plus Robinson or like potential starter.

Return to Toronto Raptors