ImageImageImageImageImage

Why its time to trade Kyle Lowry

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,282

Re: Why its time to trade Kyle Lowry 

Post#21 » by PhilBlackson » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:51 pm

We need to accumulate future assets.

This team isn't doing anything so yes the time to act is now while teams can still see an almost full year as value, waiting will turn a likely mid to late 1st into a 2nd.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,007

Post#22 » by DelAbbot » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:05 am

Additionally, trading Lowry asap before an injury pops up and plummets his trade market.
nivisi9 wrote:I think we are underestimating the potential importance of trading Lowry sooner then later if we want to maximize a quick stealth 1 yr tank..

I think its much more realistic that Siakam, Powell, young guys, all start playing alot better then how we started and we begin hovering into low playoff seed territory.

by trading Lowry sooner then later we eliminate that possibility and maximize this rare opportunity!

We could easily be really good again next season with a high lottery pick + the young core guys we already have = a nasty young core for a long time.

I think its the tough call we need to make to capitalize on this, but I'm doubtful our front office would go for it.
dsdraps
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#23 » by dsdraps » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:17 am

I'm not against trading him, especially considering he's expiring this year and likely going to want another $30M/yr deal. His value is pretty high. The Clippers really need him, so if FO can figure out a way to maximize on this by way of a 3-way deal I would be okay with it (Note: I say 3-way deal with the clippers because i don't see what the clippers could realistically offer us that would be sufficient for a straight trade)

I'm afraid if he leaves though we won't have any long time vets on our team. Vets are important to help shape and mentor our young guys. Not sure if FVV is seasoned enough to play that role should Lowry leave. I believe a big role of FVV's development was from Lowry. I think there's a valid argument to say Lowry/FVV are our best players right now (based on the small sample size of games we have had this season)

I see some people mentioning that he's an all-time greatest Raptor. This is noted, but I'm pretty confident he will leave at free agency as soon as he realizes the raptors FO is not going to give him a big deal. Unfortunately the NBA is a business, it's harsh, but it's true.
JPriest
Senior
And1: 843

Post#24 » by JPriest » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:18 am

100% agree. The front office should put an end to the 6 feet and under back court. FVV's here for the long term and Lowry most likely would welcome a trade to a contender. Powell is also in his prime and he needs consistent minutes. He's highly effective when he gets it. Envisioning consistency from Norm and FVV continuing his efficient 3 point shooting and developing his playmaking. TD and Flynn also need time off the bench. It makes sense. Some poster mentioned in another thread the team shouldn't trade Lowry because of his veteran presence. I don't think his presence moves the needle all that much in the long term.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,042

Post#25 » by ItsDanger » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:22 am

Couldn't we have had a shot at signing Christian Wood if we hadn't extended Lowry?
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#26 » by Indeed » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:36 am

The two-guards lineup and our defensive scheme work with an elite shot blocker, as the kickout will be intercepted by our guards that is hide away from the paint.

There are only a few elite shot blockers that can do more on offense, which includes Giannis. However, it is unlikely we will get one. Therefore, I am not against breaking this up. And I guess the biggest question for the front office is, do we still need the cap space this summer? As I do not believe we are a free agent destination for the elites, and many of them signed with their original team.

Now if we are willing to take longer contracts, I suppose Golden States would be giving us more. Wiggins and Lowry swap if they need to contend and make up for the shooting, or Green and Oubre for Lowry if they need to clear their salary. The Minnesota 1st and Toronto 2nd can be included to make up the difference.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#27 » by SharoneWright » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:41 am

Is anybody here a marine biologist?
halifax
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#28 » by halifax » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:47 am

does lowry really make a different for wins right now ? if so how many ? if we can upgrade a position why not ?
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,194

Post#29 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:47 am

Him to Philly in a 3 way trade just makes too much sense. I'd prefer to get back a SF/PF/C type prospect and next years 1st rounder.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,194

Post#30 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:50 am

ItsDanger wrote:Couldn't we have had a shot at signing Christian Wood if we hadn't extended Lowry?

If we really wanted Wood, we could have done a sign and trade for him so I wouldn't blame the Lowry contract for that. He's making a lot of GMs look stupid for undervaluing him. Dude got a 3 year/41 mill contract and is playing like a max player.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,785

Post#31 » by Zeno » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:50 am

Indeed wrote:The two-guards lineup and our defensive scheme work with an elite shot blocker, as the kickout will be intercepted by our guards that is hide away from the paint.

There are only a few elite shot blockers that can do more on offense, which includes Giannis. However, it is unlikely we will get one. Therefore, I am not against breaking this up. And I guess the biggest question for the front office is, do we still need the cap space this summer? As I do not believe we are a free agent destination for the elites, and many of them signed with their original team.

Now if we are willing to take longer contracts, I suppose Golden States would be giving us more. Wiggins and Lowry swap if they need to contend and make up for the shooting, or Green and Oubre for Lowry if they need to clear their salary. The Minnesota 1st and Toronto 2nd can be included to make up the difference.

If it is just a late first as return, you wait to see if teams with a more urgent window will experience an injury. Where is Miami if Dragic is out for the season or the Jazz if they lose Conley? I know those teams don’t have much, just throwing out examples. If the return is just meh, wait on the market to shake a few more suitors out.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
halifax
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#32 » by halifax » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:52 am

raptors are a good team even without lowry. they still have all of their future picks.
they can choose to
trade lowry and a few picks for a player that fits the win now paradigm.
trade lowry for more picks and recently picked players.

FVV will be a an all star very soon, siakam has already proven he can be one, lots to be excited about.
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,357

Post#33 » by PerfectJab » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:00 am

KL78192020 wrote:
AP_cb4 wrote:Unless Lowry demands a trade or there's a great deal on the table which we cannot pass , I wouldn't trade him.

He's the greatest Raptors of all time, we won our championship . If Massai was okay losing Ibaka for nothing then that is the chance you take with Lowry as well.

I hope he can retire here.

Eh. People get to sentimental, Jordan the GOAT played for the Wizards, Hakeem played for the Raptors, Patrick Ewing a legendary Knick played for the magic and the supersonics, the list goes on and on.

Lowry didn't even start his career here. Its not a big deal if he moves on or is traded.

Every single player that you mentioned were well past their prime when they played for other teams.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,367

Post#34 » by Saul Goodman » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:02 am

As much as I love him, if were on the outside looking in its time to deal him. I don't believe he would want to resign with a non playoff team and would probably sign with his hometown 76ers.

to Philly
Kyle Lowry
Matt Thomas

To Toronto
Tyrese Maxey
Danny Green
Mike Scott
Terrence Ferguson
2021 1st

Follow up

Trade 2

Brooklyn
Norm Powell

Toronto
Taureen Prince
2021 1st top 15 protected

The Raptors get a young SG in Maxey and a future 1st. The 76ers get likely the most talented starting 5 in the NBA

VanVleet/Maxey/OG/Siakam/Boucher

Davis/Flynn/Prince/Baynes

hope we're bad enough to select Evan Mobley...

VanVleet/Maxey/OG/Siakam/Boucher

Flynn/Davis
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,190

Post#35 » by Tofubeque » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:33 am

Another point I haven't seen in this thread yet is the insane trade returns we've seen this year for aging all-star PGs. After what the Pelicans got for Holiday, there's no way the Raptors should settle for just ONE 1st round pick back in any Lowry trade.

There are multiple playoff teams with draft assets who Lowry could reasonably push to contender status. It would be a fantastic market for him.
props Turbozone
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,165

Post#36 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:50 am

I wonder what it would take for that Minny pick from GS... Lowry + what for that pick and... Wiggins?
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,282

Post#37 » by PhilBlackson » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:53 am

Wish those rumors during the summer of trading Lowry to be able to draft LaMelo were true...yeah I said it lol

What a start to the rebuild that would've been. Flip him for a mid to late first asap.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#38 » by pr0gr4m » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:00 am

With or without Lowry a championship isn't coming. FVV has proven me wrong as a rim finisher the past few games. I don't think it'll hold but it is what it is. We paid him so we gotta test him.

Powell is a better starter than bench player. We should regulate OG to the bench and try to develop him as a scorer. Yuta has shown more production in his short run so far in the regular and PRESEASON. It's all the data we have and we can run with it.

OG sharted with his opportunity. It is gone.

Start Boucher or Baynes situationally depending on the match ups. Lowry should be able to bring back a decent front court piece. I would probably aim for Vucevic.

Vuc
Siakam
Yuta
Powell
FVV

OG
Flynn
Boucher
Davis or PWJ or Thomas (rn it is Davis)

NN can figure out the defense, we can out score teams in the meanwhile. Before ripping on my solution maybe try thinking of a better solution first.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#39 » by Indeed » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:06 am

Zeno wrote:
Indeed wrote:The two-guards lineup and our defensive scheme work with an elite shot blocker, as the kickout will be intercepted by our guards that is hide away from the paint.

If it is just a late first as return, you wait to see if teams with a more urgent window will experience an injury. Where is Miami if Dragic is out for the season or the Jazz if they lose Conley? I know those teams don’t have much, just throwing out examples. If the return is just meh, wait on the market to shake a few more suitors out.

The Minnesota 1st is a top 3 protected pick, right now they are a bottom 3 team.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,785

Post#40 » by Zeno » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:17 am

Indeed wrote:
Zeno wrote:

The Minnesota 1st is a top 3 protected pick, right now they are a bottom 3 team.

Yeah, sorry. I was kind of skipping steps in my logic here. To me the Wiggins contract is negative value so it is like you are selling the capspace for that pick in addition to Lowry which I get. But I wonder if it is not better to get Lowry’s true value and maintain the capspace to make an additional improvement or acquire another asset.
I’m not saying that I wouldn’t do the Lowry for Wiggins plus Minny pick but more could shake out from a desperate team as the season wears on. There is some risk that Minnesota somehow drop to 4 and somehow actually gets better the following year and it turns into not much of anything but a mid 1st 2022 and a bad contract.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

Return to Toronto Raptors