ImageImageImageImageImage

Why its time to trade Kyle Lowry

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

canz55
Sixth Man
And1: 2,026

Re: Why its time to trade Kyle Lowry 

Post#261 » by canz55 » Wed Feb 3, 2021 5:16 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote: It's laughable that people think an expiring Lowry is worth multiple picks, or even a lottery pick.
This is probably untrue or at least a sentiment that isn't likely shared by other GM's but if it is - why bother trading Lowry at all?

20+ games into the season and its clear that Lowry's absence from the court doesn't make a material net difference in the teams +/- stats. That will change come playoff time but for now it doesn't make much of a difference whether Lowry plays or not.
ImageWe the Champs...
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#262 » by JB7 » Wed Feb 3, 2021 5:36 pm

North_of_Border wrote:Considering that we likely are not getting a huge haul for Lowry at this point in his career, im changing my mind. He's an icon for Toronto, so Raptors should be trying to extend him for a another year or two. His value as leader on this team is more than what we would get by trading him. Why make a trade for sake of making a trade.

Only way I would trade Lowry is if someone goes WAY out there and overpays. Im not trading Lowry for a low 1st rounder. Its gotta be a lotto pick or multiple picks, or a young player with huge potential. Now i know we wont get any of that to be realistic. So i would not deal Lowry.

.... Now if Massai talks to Lowry personally and the guy said he is leaving after the season, then I would consider a trade if the Raptors are out of it and start tanking. Though as long as Raps are in the playoff picture, I keep Lowry, even if he is leaving for nothing. His presence in the playoffs would be better than anything we would get for him.

I also don't think Raps are going to get much for Lowry, but is re-signing him really in the best interest of developing the young talent on the team?
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#263 » by Kingsway_fan » Wed Feb 3, 2021 5:52 pm

Best to trade at deadline.. even if for late first and exp, rather than letting him walk for nothing?
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#264 » by MixxSRC » Wed Feb 3, 2021 5:54 pm

After watching that video with Lowry congratulating FVV on breaking the record I'm starting to feel he's fine with veteran role.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#265 » by Danny1616 » Wed Feb 3, 2021 6:06 pm

MixxSRC wrote:After watching that video with Lowry congratulating FVV on breaking the record I'm starting to feel he's fine with veteran role.

It could be that Lowry is satisfied with his career, he already won a chip and is a hero in Toronto. He really doesn't have anything left to prove and it's clear he loves our young guys and takes pride in grooming them.

Maybe he decides to finish his career here, take a bit of a hometown discount, and sign a 3 year 30m contract and take a 6th man role off the bench?

Who knows. Understandable if he wants to leave to a contender as well.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#266 » by Danny1616 » Wed Feb 3, 2021 6:09 pm

JB7 wrote:
North_of_Border wrote:Considering that we likely are not getting a huge haul for Lowry at this point in his career, im changing my mind. He's an icon for Toronto, so Raptors should be trying to extend him for a another year or two. His value as leader on this team is more than what we would get by trading him. Why make a trade for sake of making a trade.

Only way I would trade Lowry is if someone goes WAY out there and overpays. Im not trading Lowry for a low 1st rounder. Its gotta be a lotto pick or multiple picks, or a young player with huge potential. Now i know we wont get any of that to be realistic. So i would not deal Lowry.

.... Now if Massai talks to Lowry personally and the guy said he is leaving after the season, then I would consider a trade if the Raptors are out of it and start tanking. Though as long as Raps are in the playoff picture, I keep Lowry, even if he is leaving for nothing. His presence in the playoffs would be better than anything we would get for him.

I also don't think Raps are going to get much for Lowry, but is re-signing him really in the best interest of developing the young talent on the team?

It would be perfect if Lowry was content with coming off the bench and playing reduced minutes to finish his career.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,438

Post#267 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed Feb 3, 2021 6:34 pm

I love Lowry. Still remember exactly where I was when I saw that Colangelo moved a 1st for him.

Best thing he did in his entire tenure here in Toronto.

But if Boston could trade Pierce, I really don't see why we can't trade Lowry. Unless he explicitly indicates he doesn't want to leave, then I would look to move him to Philly.

All good things come to an end eventually and objectively, I don't see how it helps him or us in the long term to keep him here. Toronto has a history of letting it's premier talent walk out the door for nothing. Happened with Bosh, Serge, Marc and I think the same thing is going to happen with Lowry. Rebuilds take much, much longer if you're going to practice this kind of asset management.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#268 » by JB7 » Wed Feb 3, 2021 7:03 pm

Danny1616 wrote:It would be perfect if Lowry was content with coming off the bench and playing reduced minutes to finish his career.

Even that would still take away minutes from Flynn and Thomas in the PG and SG roles, and if the team really wants to see what it has with those two, they need to get minutes.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,393

Post#269 » by phanman » Wed Feb 3, 2021 8:52 pm

JB7 wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:It would be perfect if Lowry was content with coming off the bench and playing reduced minutes to finish his career.

Even that would still take away minutes from Flynn and Thomas in the PG and SG roles, and if the team really wants to see what it has with those two, they need to get minutes.

From what we've seen this season, those guys aren't ready for meaningful minutes. You don't just trade away Lowry and begin the free-fall for guys like them. The team and organization believe in his leadership and there's a reason why he still leads the team in mpg.

I mean I get the intention of getting something for Lowry's expiring deal but you have to be honest in terms of what type of return you can potentially get for a soon to be 35yo PG making 30m.
Jetfire
Ballboy
And1: 34

Post#270 » by Jetfire » Wed Feb 3, 2021 9:20 pm

It hurts to think of Lowry not retiring in Toronto, same as the idea of Steph playing on a team other than San Fran, but the game is bigger than it's personalities. He'll forever be a hero to Canada, the game must go on however. I'd said before it would be a nice sentimental nod to send him to Phili to hopefully win another chip there in the place he was born, if it matters to him at all.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#271 » by anotherhomer » Wed Feb 3, 2021 9:39 pm

Lowry likely will stay unless a team offers something

Sixers maybe targetting other players including Bradley beal and Zach lavine
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,489

Post#272 » by YelloC » Wed Feb 3, 2021 10:39 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
MixxSRC wrote:After watching that video with Lowry congratulating FVV on breaking the record I'm starting to feel he's fine with veteran role.

It could be that Lowry is satisfied with his career, he already won a chip and is a hero in Toronto. He really doesn't have anything left to prove and it's clear he loves our young guys and takes pride in grooming them.

Maybe he decides to finish his career here, take a bit of a hometown discount, and sign a 3 year 30m contract and take a 6th man role off the bench?

Who knows. Understandable if he wants to leave to a contender as well.

If Kyle was fine with running/coaching the bench and coming in at crunch time, he could win 6th man right away.
I don’t even think his assists would take much of a hit and it would really help the progression of the young guys.
I don’t know if we could do it without a legitimate Center because we need the extra playmaking to make up for the lack of creation at Center.

Return to Toronto Raptors