ImageImageImageImageImage

Why its time to trade Kyle Lowry

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Re: Why its time to trade Kyle Lowry 

Post#41 » by Indeed » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:26 am

Zeno wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Zeno wrote:If it is just a late first as return, you wait to see if teams with a more urgent window will experience an injury. Where is Miami if Dragic is out for the season or the Jazz if they lose Conley? I know those teams don’t have much, just throwing out examples. If the return is just meh, wait on the market to shake a few more suitors out.

The Minnesota 1st is a top 3 protected pick, right now they are a bottom 3 team.

Yeah, sorry. I was kind of skipping steps in my logic here. To me the Wiggins contract is negative value so it is like you are selling the capspace for that pick in addition to Lowry which I get. But I wonder if it is not better to get Lowry’s true value and maintain the capspace to make an additional improvement or acquire another asset.
I’m not saying that I wouldn’t do the Lowry for Wiggins plus Minny pick but more could shake out from a desperate team as the season wears on. There is some risk that Minnesota somehow drop to 4 and somehow actually gets better the following year and it turns into not much of anything but a mid 1st 2022 and a bad contract.

If we just want to trade Lowry to a bad team, we can probably do that to maximize the return. It is just not making your organization looks good, as you failed to live up to the promise.

I feel Golden States still has a chance to compete this year, and the pick would be better than any other contender regardless it becomes out side of top 10. Meanwhile, it is difficult to find a team to match Lowry's contract with other non-core contract. Furthermore, Wiggins contract isn't as bad with 2 years remaining after this year, and he is a serviceable player, therefore, from an asset management perspective, he can be traded in the future, particularly as an expiring after next year.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#42 » by Indeed » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:34 am

pr0gr4m wrote:With or without Lowry a championship isn't coming. FVV has proven me wrong as a rim finisher the past few games. I don't think it'll hold but it is what it is. We paid him so we gotta test him.

Powell is a better starter than bench player. We should regulate OG to the bench and try to develop him as a scorer. Yuta has shown more production in his short run so far in the regular and PRESEASON. It's all the data we have and we can run with it.

OG sharted with his opportunity. It is gone.

Start Boucher or Baynes situationally depending on the match ups. Lowry should be able to bring back a decent front court piece. I would probably aim for Vucevic.

Vuc
Siakam
Yuta
Powell
FVV

OG
Flynn
Boucher
Davis or PWJ or Thomas (rn it is Davis)

NN can figure out the defense, we can out score teams in the meanwhile. Before ripping on my solution maybe try thinking of a better solution first.

Last two games there may not be a shot blocker, but a stretch big will help. However, many teams are having big PG with long wingspan that may challenge VanVleet, so perhaps we will have to see.

As for Powell, he is pretty much the reason we are not winning. He is not an elite defender like OG, nor he is a scorer like Davis. I am unsure you watched the last game when Powell starts. Powell lack of energy as compare to Lowry was an issue, and we sub out Len for Boucher for the hustle, then we started scoring. Powell just doesn't give enough to the lineup (starting or bench lineup). He might fill the stats sheet by being assisted or transition, but in a half court setting, he does not seem to do much except for getting knocked on his drive.
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#43 » by Inevitable » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:50 am

Agreed he has to go. Best case scenario, finish 5-8. Get embarrassed, end up with a trash pick outside the lotto in a top 10 heavy draft. Lack of young talent makes the future look bleak. We need to do everything possible to get a high pick this year so we can be competitive by 2023.
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#44 » by RonaldArtest » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:01 am

Saul Goodman wrote:As much as I love him, if were on the outside looking in its time to deal him. I don't believe he would want to resign with a non playoff team and would probably sign with his hometown 76ers.

to Philly
Kyle Lowry
Matt Thomas

To Toronto
Tyrese Maxey
Danny Green
Mike Scott
Terrence Ferguson
2021 1st

Follow up

Trade 2

Brooklyn
Norm Powell

Toronto
Taureen Prince
2021 1st top 15 protected

The Raptors get a young SG in Maxey and a future 1st. The 76ers get likely the most talented starting 5 in the NBA

VanVleet/Maxey/OG/Siakam/Boucher

Davis/Flynn/Prince/Baynes

hope we're bad enough to select Evan Mobley...

VanVleet/Maxey/OG/Siakam/Boucher

Flynn/Davis

I think philly would be hesitant on including Maxey in the deal, Thybulle is probably the more realistic prospect. As much as I’d hate to see Kyle dealt on a personal level, if it’s a legit chance at another ring for him with the sweet bonus of playing in his home city, it’d be a nice gesture for sure to Lowry for all he’s done for Toronto. Maxey would be great but if not I think Thybulle has tools to be an incredible defender. Still raw but lots for Nurse to work with, he’s one of the better centrepieces in any of the Lowry deals I’ve seen proposed.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#45 » by Metallikid » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:43 am

KL78192020 wrote:
AP_cb4 wrote:Unless Lowry demands a trade or there's a great deal on the table which we cannot pass , I wouldn't trade him.

He's the greatest Raptors of all time, we won our championship . If Massai was okay losing Ibaka for nothing then that is the chance you take with Lowry as well.

I hope he can retire here.

Eh. People get to sentimental, Jordan the GOAT played for the Wizards, Hakeem played for the Raptors, Patrick Ewing a legendary Knick played for the magic and the supersonics, the list goes on and on.

Lowry didn't even start his career here. Its not a big deal if he moves on or is traded.

They were all scrubs by then. (even Jordan)

Kyle Lowry would probably be an all-star this season under normal circumstances.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#46 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:55 pm

Close to trade deadline some teams may be more motivated to offer much more for a lowry/Norm trade.... ibam sure thst is masai strategy.. hope so.
Ganjamayne
Starter
And1: 5,308

Post#47 » by Ganjamayne » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:41 pm

Didn't read thread, but Van Vleet can be traded January 15th apparently.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#48 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:20 pm

Ganjamayne wrote:Didn't read thread, but Van Vleet can be traded January 15th apparently.

Raps won't be trading either fred or pascal... they are the core going forward.
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#49 » by TheBoi10 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:41 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:
Ganjamayne wrote:Didn't read thread, but Van Vleet can be traded January 15th apparently.

Sounds like mediocrity
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#50 » by StopitLeo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:46 pm

This isn’t correct for this season. I believe the date is March 3rd for Fred.
Ganjamayne
Starter

Post#51 » by Ganjamayne » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:48 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:

Not saying trade him, but exploring options always makes sense.
Ganjamayne
Starter

Post#52 » by Ganjamayne » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:49 pm

StopitLeo wrote:

Yeah not 100% sure. Someone one Reddit said all signings this year would be tradeable January 15th due to it being a shortened season.
flipside21
Veteran
And1: 896

Post#53 » by flipside21 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:54 pm

Ackshun wrote:I would ask him if he wants to be here.

If he says yes, then I do not trade him.

I actually agree in principle with all the points laid out in the original post - but at the end of the day this quote is the truth.

Kyle won us a championship and he gets to make the call whether he stays or not. This actually matters from a franchise branding and cultural perspective more than wins this season or next.
mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#54 » by mintsa » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:01 pm

flipside21 wrote:
Ackshun wrote:I would ask him if he wants to be here.

If he says yes, then I do not trade him.

I actually agree in principle with all the points laid out in the original post - but at the end of the day this quote is the truth.

Kyle won us a championship and he gets to make the call whether he stays or not. This actually matters from a franchise branding and cultural perspective more than wins this season or next.

You guys are right. It’s Lowry call. If he wants a trade the raptors move him to where he wants to go.

If he wants finish his career here and ride off into the sunset. Then the raptors won’t trade and bring him back on a deal they are both happy with........

It’s Lowry’s call. Doesn’t matter what interest or deal
Is out there. It’s Lowry’s choice and the organization will go with it.
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,937

Post#55 » by vulture » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:06 pm

The only way we trade Lowry is is he asks for one. His expiring contract gives the flexibility this summer to add ready nba talent to this group and that’s worth more than getting some late first rounder imo.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#56 » by bluerap23 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:09 pm

Indeed wrote:
Zeno wrote:
Indeed wrote:
The Minnesota 1st is a top 3 protected pick, right now they are a bottom 3 team.

Yeah, sorry. I was kind of skipping steps in my logic here. To me the Wiggins contract is negative value so it is like you are selling the capspace for that pick in addition to Lowry which I get. But I wonder if it is not better to get Lowry’s true value and maintain the capspace to make an additional improvement or acquire another asset.
I’m not saying that I wouldn’t do the Lowry for Wiggins plus Minny pick but more could shake out from a desperate team as the season wears on. There is some risk that Minnesota somehow drop to 4 and somehow actually gets better the following year and it turns into not much of anything but a mid 1st 2022 and a bad contract.

If we just want to trade Lowry to a bad team, we can probably do that to maximize the return. It is just not making your organization looks good, as you failed to live up to the promise.

I feel Golden States still has a chance to compete this year, and the pick would be better than any other contender regardless it becomes out side of top 10. Meanwhile, it is difficult to find a team to match Lowry's contract with other non-core contract. Furthermore, Wiggins contract isn't as bad with 2 years remaining after this year, and he is a serviceable player, therefore, from an asset management perspective, he can be traded in the future, particularly as an expiring after next year.

Why would a bad team want him though?

Lowry will be targeted by contenders looking for the final piece. His agent is probably looking for a match as we speculate.
traps#10
Head Coach
And1: 8,364

Post#57 » by traps#10 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:11 pm

I would hate trading Lowry to Philly, the direct competition. I think Denver would be a good destination for Lowry and a good return for us if we land Porter.
StopitLeo
RealGM

Post#58 » by StopitLeo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:20 pm

Ganjamayne wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:

Yeah not 100% sure. Someone one Reddit said all signings this year would be tradeable January 15th due to it being a shortened season.

That would be the date for a normal season. Usually it is 3 months or December 15th, whichever is later, and January 15th if the contract meets certain criteria. This year those dates are February 6th and March 3rd. Fred's contract falls under the criteria for March 3rd.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
StopitLeo
RealGM

Post#59 » by StopitLeo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:34 pm

RonaldArtest wrote:I think philly would be hesitant on including Maxey in the deal, Thybulle is probably the more realistic prospect. As much as I’d hate to see Kyle dealt on a personal level, if it’s a legit chance at another ring for him with the sweet bonus of playing in his home city, it’d be a nice gesture for sure to Lowry for all he’s done for Toronto. Maxey would be great but if not I think Thybulle has tools to be an incredible defender. Still raw but lots for Nurse to work with, he’s one of the better centrepieces in any of the Lowry deals I’ve seen proposed.

I have no doubt they would be hesitant. However, if at the trade deadline it looks like this is the year to go for it, they would be foolish not to give him up for Lowry.
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#60 » by RonaldArtest » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:46 pm

StopitLeo wrote:
RonaldArtest wrote:I think philly would be hesitant on including Maxey in the deal, Thybulle is probably the more realistic prospect. As much as I’d hate to see Kyle dealt on a personal level, if it’s a legit chance at another ring for him with the sweet bonus of playing in his home city, it’d be a nice gesture for sure to Lowry for all he’s done for Toronto. Maxey would be great but if not I think Thybulle has tools to be an incredible defender. Still raw but lots for Nurse to work with, he’s one of the better centrepieces in any of the Lowry deals I’ve seen proposed.

I have no doubt they would be hesitant. However, if at the trade deadline it looks like this is the year to go for it, they would be foolish not to give him up for Lowry.

Maybe, maybe not. They have their core locked up, it’s not like their window is closing soon. They could possibly look to sign Kyle in the offseason for MLE money if Lowry gives a hometown discount to play in philly and for a shot at another title. I don’t think they’re in desperation mode that maybe a team like the clippers would be. I just don’t see them trading Maxey for a player with 1 year left of term and turning 35. Guys like Korkmaz, Ferguson, they are more expendable. Thybulle being the highest valued asset they’d lose, I think they can live with that for a shot this year with Lowry. Maxey just dropped 39 playing with scrubs against a top team, if they were to move him they need a bigger prize returning imo.

Return to Toronto Raptors