ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2-8 .. next 10 games

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

rapluva
Analyst
And1: 937

Raps 2-8 .. next 10 games 

Post#1 » by rapluva » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:36 am

Raps are going to start the next ten on Thursday .. we have Charlotte twice, and then Dallas... Then the Heat twice.. then Indiana twice ..

This is it folks, this is going to determine the season. Raptors are going to be busy at the trade deadline..I wonder if even one Raptor makes it to the All Star game this year..with our amount of wins..

Trade baits, I can see Stanley Johnson.. Norm Powell and even Kyle Lowry..this will be interesting.. I think they will beat Charlotte both games..they better, so their record looks a bit better..if not.. we getting a top 10 pick the way things are going lol..
canz55
Sixth Man
And1: 2,024

Re: Raps 2-8 .. next 10 games 

Post#2 » by canz55 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:42 am

I'm still not convinced it's going to determine anything.

If we were still Boston-game level bad then I'd agree but the Raps have seemingly turned around their overall production.

Yes we're in a hole and with every loss the season looks more and more like a wash but if I know Masai he's taking his time by letting these guys work through finding their form.

I also think we steal one of the Miami games.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
ImageWe the Champs...
stanch sabonis
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,610

Post#3 » by stanch sabonis » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:39 am

canz55 wrote:I'm still not convinced it's going to determine anything.

If we were still Boston-game level bad then I'd agree but the Raps have seemingly turned around their overall production.

Yes we're in a hole and with every loss the season looks more and more like a wash but if I know Masai he's taking his time by letting these guys work through finding their form.

Look good? What is the best case scenario for this team? A first round exit? That's preferable to having a top pick in a loaded draft? lol
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#4 » by Indeed » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:12 pm

Please add Baynes to the list. I think Len being a backup against traditional big is alright, while Boucher off the bench for scoring.

I don't feel we have enough assets to make the trade. Outside of Lowry, I am not seeing teams wanting our player. The only reason would be to fill for COVID-19 or injuries. For example, I do not see Powell would be needed by any team.
Taking long term contracts for picks would be another way to acquire assets, as I am not seeing many FA the cap space may not be useful, the remaining ones may simply join the Knicks (Oladipo, Otto Porter, etc.)
bunshichi
Freshman
And1: 64

Post#5 » by bunshichi » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:14 pm

Don't even think it would be that hard, most of their guys are out this week for covid protocols. They'll probably out of shape and rusty when we play them.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,158

Post#6 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:30 pm

stanch sabonis wrote:

Look good? What is the best case scenario for this team? A first round exit? That's preferable to having a top pick in a loaded draft? lol

Its not what everyone expected but it seems like the short term pains = long term gains.

Raps current roster going through some growing pains right now. Raps drafting in the top 5-6 picks will set this team straight for the next 7-10 years - and some continuity with our current guys. These guys have known about winning and will be a great mentor to a lottery pick imho. and plus whoever we draft in the 2022 pick is going to be a highly touted player (potentially 2 years worth of lottery players in the first round - so the Raps can be good and still get a really good player).

they are directionless at the moment imho, it seems they are trying to cling onto something that isn't there anymore, i.e. championship aspirations, and another currently muted future of whether or not to play their young guys. well, at least it seems that is what Nurse is trying to do with the limited talent he has on the roster.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,429

Post#7 » by KL78192020 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:44 pm

I predicted 5-5 for the first 10 lol so wrong. The team is playing better I'll say 4-6 best case scenario, but they could easily end up 2-8 in this stretch as well.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,934

Post#8 » by Anticon » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:47 pm

rapluva wrote:Raps are going to start the next ten on Thursday .. we have Charlotte twice, and then Dallas... Then the Heat twice.. then Indiana twice ..

This is it folks, this is going to determine the season. Raptors are going to be busy at the trade deadline..I wonder if even one Raptor makes it to the All Star game this year..with our amount of wins..

Trade baits, I can see Stanley Johnson.. Norm Powell and even Kyle Lowry..this will be interesting.. I think they will beat Charlotte both games..they better, so their record looks a bit better..if not.. we getting a top 10 pick the way things are going lol..

I think the front office has already shifted out of win now mode and will be busy at the deadline.

Don't know what will materialize, but developing the guys we committed to (Siakam, FVV, OG) and high potential guys (Flynn and Boucher) is what matters.

Definitely still a chance we make the playoffs and this will give insight into that, but expect at least an effort to trade non-core guys at the deadline no matter what.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,921

Post#9 » by JN » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:53 pm

Indeed wrote:Please add Baynes to the list. I think Len being a backup against traditional big is alright, while Boucher off the bench for scoring.

I don't feel we have enough assets to make the trade. Outside of Lowry, I am not seeing teams wanting our player. The only reason would be to fill for COVID-19 or injuries. For example, I do not see Powell would be needed by any team.
Taking long term contracts for picks would be another way to acquire assets, as I am not seeing many FA the cap space may not be useful, the remaining ones may simply join the Knicks (Oladipo, Otto Porter, etc.)

Powell is streaky -- at times he is very good, and he has had some good playoff moments and experience.

Some team will take the flier on getting good Norm and giving us 2 second round picks at least.... and hope to get good Norm during the playoffs and realizing he may flop. Trading second rounders for risks is pretty normal for teams.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#10 » by Indeed » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:12 pm

JN wrote:
Indeed wrote:Please add Baynes to the list. I think Len being a backup against traditional big is alright, while Boucher off the bench for scoring.

Powell is streaky -- at times he is very good, and he has had some good playoff moments and experience.

Some team will take the flier on getting good Norm and giving us 2 second round picks at least.... and hope to get good Norm during the playoffs and realizing he may flop. Trading second rounders for risks is pretty normal for teams.

Not that he is streaky, but he is rather limited. Since he cannot pass (3.5% assist ratio as a guard is pretty much the minimum, play more like a wing without the finishing height), he can only score against teams without shot blocker (play against bench unit for this reason). His points are also mainly coming from transition. His defense is not particular outstanding to be the lockdown role.

Therefore, there are only a few teams who plays a fast pace game instead of half court, and taking a 10m contract for a bench role would be too much for them. I just don't see a team would need to fill a 7th or 8th man at the cost. Even we can't use him as the 6th man to help on the scoring.
rapluva
Analyst
And1: 937

Post#11 » by rapluva » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
stanch sabonis wrote:

Yes but Kyle won't stick around next year..

Its not what everyone expected but it seems like the short term pains = long term gains.

Raps current roster going through some growing pains right now. Raps drafting in the top 5-6 picks will set this team straight for the next 7-10 years - and some continuity with our current guys. These guys have known about winning and will be a great mentor to a lottery pick imho. and plus whoever we draft in the 2022 pick is going to be a highly touted player (potentially 2 years worth of lottery players in the first round - so the Raps can be good and still get a really good player).

they are directionless at the moment imho, it seems they are trying to cling onto something that isn't there anymore, i.e. championship aspirations, and another currently muted future of whether or not to play their young guys. well, at least it seems that is what Nurse is trying to do with the limited talent he has on the roster.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,109

Post#12 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:24 pm

I hope we have the unluckiest season ever. Re-sign Lowry, grab a top pick, sign someone good in the off season.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,743

Post#13 » by metafisical » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:25 pm

I can get why some aren't convinced that we should tank yet after 10 games -- only about 14% of the season has elapsed. But if we are still playing like ass after 20 games (after close to a third of the season having elapsed), is it really worth it to try to string some wins together for a chance as the 7th or 8th seed, only to get swept by Boston or Milwaukee?

We will not get Giannis, and we probably won't get Harden. Oladipo won't come to our team (why the hell would he sign with us?). We ain't getting any top flight FAs -- don't kid yourself, especially when our highest profile FA is still Hedo Turkoglu over a decade ago LMAO. If we let Lowry's contract to expire, there is no proof he will re-sign with us.

Our only option is build through the draft and make shrewd trades.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
Preliudas
Senior
And1: 457

Post#14 » by Preliudas » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:29 pm

Start of the season was very rough but the more they play more confident they look. I hope that next 10 games will have much more positive W/L percentage
azorian
Veteran
And1: 1,660

Post#15 » by azorian » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:23 pm

They're alot better than their record looks. Most games were competitive minus boston. I still say 2-8 because of how unlucky they've been with timely buckets and bad whistles.

I still believe in this team but the universe is definitely shoving them down the garbage disposal.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#16 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:40 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:I hope we have the unluckiest season ever. Re-sign Lowry, grab a top pick, sign someone good in the off season.

do you think Lowry will resign at min? because the only way Raps sign someone good in the offseason is if Raptors don't re-sign Lowry.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#17 » by Psubs » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:48 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I hope we have the unluckiest season ever. Re-sign Lowry, grab a top pick, sign someone good in the off season.

do you think Lowry will resign at min? because the only way Raps sign someone good in the offseason is if Raptors don't re-sign Lowry.

Would Lowry sign for the MLE for 5 years with the last couple of years decreasing? 10-10-10-8-6.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,324

Post#18 » by TOStateofMind » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:03 pm

They should really be closer to .500, so it really woulnt shock me if they started to finally get some wins.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#19 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:04 pm

Psubs wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

Would Lowry sign for the MLE for 5 years with the last couple of years decreasing? 10-10-10-8-6.

you can't sign him for MLE. Raptors under the salary cap next year
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,217

Post#20 » by Mehar » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:14 pm

I can see this team being 5-15 after 20 games. Not mad at all. You have to look at the long-term picture. The best thing for this franchise long-term would be to draft in the top 5. Hoping for a top 3. Only chance this franchise has to get another potential star in Toronto. Not happening in free agency.

Return to Toronto Raptors