ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets get Harden

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

RapsAndJays21
RealGM
And1: 16,319

Re: Nets get Harden 

Post#161 » by RapsAndJays21 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:00 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Allen and Prince would have been perfect for our team. All it took was a late 1st rounder for the Cavs.

SFour wrote:
NotMyKawhi wrote:
they gave up the bucks 1st and exum

sucks the Raptors didn't try to sneak in and get Allen....that might've saved the season (if you're anti-tank)

You are all insane - getting Allen would mess up our tank!

Not to mention he can just bolt at the end of the season.
Rep T Dot, till they bury me.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,704

Post#162 » by Kurtz » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:00 pm

How the **** did Houston end up getting 0 good young players and probably 0 lottery picks out of a Harden deal?
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#163 » by StopitLeo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:01 pm

Son Goku 25 wrote:So reqlistically... we aren't really going to be competing for the next 2 years including this year?

We were going to be ECF finalists at best anyway. More likely 2nd round exit.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,585

Post#164 » by Bruin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:01 pm

RapsAndJays21 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Allen and Prince would have been perfect for our team. All it took was a late 1st rounder for the Cavs.

SFour wrote:
sucks the Raptors didn't try to sneak in and get Allen....that might've saved the season (if you're anti-tank)

You are all insane - getting Allen would mess up our tank!

Not to mention he can just bolt at the end of the season.

Well not really, he’s a RFA. Still would’ve ruined the tank mission tho
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#165 » by StopitLeo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:02 pm

Kurtz wrote:How the **** did Houston end up getting 0 good young players and probably 0 lottery picks out of a Harden deal?

I’m guessing the Nets were the only team willing to give up all the unprotected picks and swaps so the Rockets took those over young prospects.
Bruin
RealGM

Post#166 » by Bruin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:02 pm

Kurtz wrote:How the **** did Houston end up getting 0 good young players and probably 0 lottery picks out of a Harden deal?

Pretty sure 2027 swap and the 2026 picks will be lotto picks
Kurtz
RealGM

Post#167 » by Kurtz » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:04 pm

StopitLeo wrote:

I’m guessing the Nets were the only team willing to give up all the unprotected picks and swaps so the Rockets took those over young prospects.

Sure, but why didn't Houston just keep Allen + Levert?
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,542

Post#168 » by mdenny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:04 pm

It's possible they get 6 lottery picks out of the deal. Only 2 of the 8 picks they got occur before Durant and Harden can leave if they want.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,295

Post#169 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:04 pm

Steelo Green wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:The 25 and 27 pick swaps could very well be top 5 picks.

Or they could just as easily not be.

I'll take my virtually guaranteed titles barring injury, thanks.

25 is 4 years away, 27 is 6 years away, no KD, Kyrie or Harden, and unless they sign, they are comfortably going to be great picks.

Don't think anyone is saying Nets don't become better and likely title winners, but Rockets did fine here.

You can't predict what the Nets are going to look like a half decade from now, but I can certainly project what the Nets are going to look like for the next several years. Virtual title locks barring injury.

It's the easiest trade they could have ever made and they didn't even have to trade any elite talent away to make it happen.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,542

Post#170 » by mdenny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:05 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Or they could just as easily not be.

25 is 4 years away, 27 is 6 years away, no KD, Kyrie or Harden, and unless they sign, they are comfortably going to be great picks.

Don't think anyone is saying Nets don't become better and likely title winners, but Rockets did fine here.

You can't predict what the Nets are going to look like a half decade from now, but I can certainly project what the Nets are going to look like for the next several years. Virtual title locks barring injury.

It's the easiest trade they could have ever made and they didn't even have to trade any elite talent away to make it happen.

Not even the next several years. Only the next 2 years.
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,221

Post#171 » by sidsid » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:06 pm

StopitLeo wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:For a good team, as the Nets project to be, it's basically nothing for Harden.

How Philly (especially), Masai (Siakam should have been dealt) or the rest of the league allowed them to pull this off, I'll never get it.

The 25 and 27 pick swaps could very well be top 5 picks.

The likely multiple Finals appearances (and possible championships) will make up for those future picks.

Picks are overrated. It’ll be interesting to see if any of those picks or swaps yields an impact player. None of the ones the Celtics got for KG and Pierce did.

It's equally good and bad for both teams. Considering the other option potentially on the table was Simmons - a guaranteed high value piece but not a superstar - and less draft capital.

Leveraging the next decade of your draft future for a superstar is completely worth it for the three year window. It's also the return any team should want for a superstar: multiple shots at drafting a superstar once the other team is on a down cycle.

Draft picks aren't overrated. They are a *chance* at a superstar vs. The certainty of no superstar in other types of trades (see Kawhi/DeRozan). And championships are determined by superstars.
Kurtz
RealGM

Post#172 » by Kurtz » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:06 pm

mdenny wrote:

It's possible they get 6 lottery picks out of the deal. Only 2 of the 8 picks they got occur before Durant and Harden can leave of they want.

They're not going anywhere. Harden will sign an extension now - this is where he wanted to be all along.

Kyrie - who knows, he's a space cadet. But KD and Harden will be there for 5+ years.
Bruin
RealGM

Post#173 » by Bruin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:06 pm

Nets are a DeAndre Jordan injury away from a major problem. Trick them into getting Baynes off our hands
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 5,988

Post#174 » by Coco Costanza » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:06 pm

;t=52s&ab_channel=thegoldfighter
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,279

Post#175 » by ruckus » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:07 pm

If there's one thing I've learned during my years of watching the NBA, nothing ever works out the way fans envision it. The Heat only got 2 titles out of their run with Lebron. The Thunder only got to the finals once. The Warriors, while it being a pretty dominant 5 years should have and could have been more in terms of both titles and longevity.

Things change quickly in the NBA so I wouldn't be surprised if after all is said and done, Houston may come out of this looking like the winner of the trade.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Post#176 » by douggood » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:07 pm

Kurtz wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:

Sure, but why didn't Houston just keep Allen + Levert?

follow the westbrook trade, they owe picks to okc, as long as its not top 5, houston tanking.
biblast
RealGM
And1: 4,799

Post#177 » by biblast » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:08 pm

I don’t understand what the Nets are doing!
I’d have kept Levert and trade Dinwiddie instead! Levert is a young star with a ton of potential to become really good!!
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#178 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:08 pm

mdenny wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:25 is 4 years away, 27 is 6 years away, no KD, Kyrie or Harden, and unless they sign, they are comfortably going to be great picks.

Not even the next several years. Only the next 2 years.

I think you can anticipate Harden is going to re-sign unless he and Durant really hate each other's guts. They will win a title this year regardless and that will help push things down that road.

Honestly, the only thing stopping an extended Nets dynasty is Kyrie Irving at this point. If he decides to play basketball for a few years instead of fight for social justice, the league is gonna be boring for a while.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#179 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:09 pm

biblast wrote:I don’t understand what the Nets are doing!
I’d have kept Levert and trade Dinwiddie instead! Levert is a young star with a ton of potential to become really good!!

Why would any team need Caris Levert on a roster with Kevin Durant, James Harden and Kyrie Irving? He's completely redundant.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,806

Post#180 » by Steelo Green » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:10 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Or they could just as easily not be.

Harden and KD are 32 and 31, so from 2024-2027 they could be straight lottery picks depending on how KD ages, Kyrie still in the league, and what Harden does as a FA.

Multiple lottery picks for Harden is fine personally.

It's not on the level of the Nets for Pierce and KG because of age, but the uncertainty in 4-6 years is a pretty fair deal. Brooklyn has to sign big ticket FAs or those will be 3 straight mega picks almost guaranteed, and more than that depending on what unfolds with these 3.

Interesting nonetheless, but I think in a few years the Nets have 1-2 titles while the Rockets are picking very high due to them. I don't rate Simmons anyways. Fine player don't get me wrong, but the lack of scoring and shooting is a big negative.

Return to Toronto Raptors