ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Cavs looking to release/Trade Kevin Porter Jr

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Re: OT: Cavs looking to release/Trade Kevin Porter Jr 

Post#121 » by God Squad » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:24 am

Inevitable wrote:
God Squad wrote:
Inevitable wrote:Literally a zero percent chance Masai would’ve been interested considering we already are dealing with TD.

IMO Porter a better prospect than Davis. At least in terms of shot creation/seperation.

KP is a solid young talent, my point was rooted from optics and their current dealings with TD’s alleged domestic violence case they would not want another headache with similar legal issues

Oh, I get it. I just hate to see high-end talent go for nothing.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#122 » by Badonkadonk » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:55 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:He was available to every team, apparently for as close to free as you can get (i.e. future protected 2nd).

That lottery, rebuilding, retooling and playoff teams all determined his market value to be so low should tell you everything you need to know.

By that logic, the fact only 1 team wanted to offer wood 3/42 this past offseason "should have told us everything we need to know."

That's a very odd comparison. Porter was available for free, Wood's contract was priced above the MLE strategically, so only teams with cap room above the exception could even bid or get in on sign-and-trades.

Very different "logic", you can't compare somebody who has no value with somebody who commanded more than guys like Ibaka on the open market :lol:
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#123 » by Indeed » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:10 pm

God Squad wrote:Masai/Bobby couldn't have given up a future SECOND for this guy? C'mon. Would have been a better project than most players we have minus Bouche.

What second pick do we have that wasn't traded on the last few seasons?
And they may not want to get a replacement from us (cash + pick for him?). I wonder if we waived Len for this reason.
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Post#124 » by raptor jesus » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:31 pm

God Squad wrote:Masai/Bobby couldn't have given up a future SECOND for this guy? C'mon. Would have been a better project than most players we have minus Bouche.

- Suspended at USC
- Sent home by Cleveland
- Weapons charge

The guy has some pretty evident off-court red flags. A key question is: is his on-court production/potential good enough to live with his off-court distractions? He's young, has some talent, but the same can be said for a lot of guys who didn't survive the league because they didn't have their heads on right, plus his numbers aren't super encouraging - so I'd pass on him as well. Given the FO's draft record, I'd rather keep that 2nd rounder.
riff_raff
Sophomore
And1: 449

Post#125 » by riff_raff » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:15 pm

The Cavs got him for a second round pick
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#126 » by Psubs » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:21 pm

raptor jesus wrote:

- Suspended at USC
- Sent home by Cleveland
- Weapons charge

The guy has some pretty evident off-court red flags. A key question is: is his on-court production/potential good enough to live with his off-court distractions? He's young, has some talent, but the same can be said for a lot of guys who didn't survive the league because they didn't have their heads on right, plus his numbers aren't super encouraging - so I'd pass on him as well. Given the FO's draft record, I'd rather keep that 2nd rounder.

Houston will likely keep the 2nd rounder as well, with the protections, it won't convey.
Raptaz
Starter
And1: 2,400

Post#127 » by Raptaz » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:50 pm

Its tough, don't know exactly how he lived life before the NBA. Hopefully he will mature and accepts some help/guidance
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,142

Post#128 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:52 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:He was available to every team, apparently for as close to free as you can get (i.e. future protected 2nd).

That lottery, rebuilding, retooling and playoff teams all determined his market value to be so low should tell you everything you need to know.

By that logic, the fact only 1 team wanted to offer wood 3/42 this past offseason "should have told us everything we need to know."

That's a very odd comparison. Porter was available for free, Wood's contract was priced above the MLE strategically, so only teams with cap room above the exception could even bid or get in on sign-and-trades.

Very different "logic", you can't compare somebody who has no value with somebody who commanded more than guys like Ibaka on the open market :lol:

Won't argue with you too much on this lol. Not the finest analogy but my point was that you cant say a player sucks because no one wanted him. My comparison to undrafted players made more sense. "Oh he must suck because no one drafted him." It's your job to find the diamond in the rough.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#129 » by Badonkadonk » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:00 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:By that logic, the fact only 1 team wanted to offer wood 3/42 this past offseason "should have told us everything we need to know."

Won't argue with you too much on this lol. Not the finest analogy but my point was that you cant say a player sucks because no one wanted him. My comparison to undrafted players made more sense. "Oh he must suck because no one drafted him." It's your job to find the diamond in the rough.

Yeah I agree with that last comment. I think the team has a pretty good track record of finding those gems, and I suppose ultimately my point is that in the case of Porter, I give them the benefit of the doubt that despite his talent, it wasn't worth the roster spot and investment in time.

Semi-related, but I'd love to see them give Paul Watson some extended run before another project, as he's been in the development system for a bit now and has shown a combination of things that I think we could really use on the wing (size, passable handle, rebounding, good shot, tough etc.).
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#130 » by Tor_Raps » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:04 am

25pts 3 Rebs 7 asts at the end of 3 quarters against the Jazz. Not saying he's destined for stardom but these are the type of buy lows that I wish we'd take chances on.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#131 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:11 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:I am unreasonably upset about this. Getting a talented scoring prospect for free is not good enough apparently. We need "high character guys" that cannot score

Read on Twitter
?s=21
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,099

Post#132 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:15 am

Tor_Raps wrote:25pts 3 Rebs 7 asts at the end of 3 quarters against the Jazz. Not saying he's destined for stardom but these are the type of buy lows that I wish we'd take chances on.

FFS, how does Masai manage to miss out on so many great "buy low" opportunities, forcing Nurse give minutes to entitled prima donnas like Boucher, Norm, Fred or Davis. I soon might have to add SJ to that list.

Porter is a 2 who is shooting 20% from 3 this season. Let's not go down that road ... again.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#133 » by Tor_Raps » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:51 am

tecumseh18 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:25pts 3 Rebs 7 asts at the end of 3 quarters against the Jazz. Not saying he's destined for stardom but these are the type of buy lows that I wish we'd take chances on.

FFS, how does Masai manage to miss out on so many great "buy low" opportunities, forcing Nurse give minutes to entitled prima donnas like Boucher, Norm, Fred or Davis. I soon might have to add SJ to that list.

Porter is a 2 who is shooting 20% from 3 this season. Let's not go down that road ... again.

Lol why do you have to go to the extreme? This board is hilarious that if you question anything our management does, it means that you hate them all together lol. I repeat, we have the best management in the game and I would not trade them for any other management.

And I hope you realize the stats you quoted are from ONE friggin game. Feel free to check his season stats after tonight's game, you might think he's an actual allstar lol.
Oakville_Raptor
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#134 » by Oakville_Raptor » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:22 am

I would love to have Kevin Porter, but it''s clear as day that no opposing GM's want to trade with Masai because of his history with screwing teams. It's kind of unfortunate...but oh well :lol:
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,369

Post#135 » by TD2FutureStar » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Oakville_Raptor wrote:I would love to have Kevin Porter, but it''s clear as day that no opposing GM's want to trade with Masai because of his history with screwing teams. It's kind of unfortunate...but oh well :lol:

Exactly. Crazy to say but I dont think we see an in season trade with Masai at the helm for years. It's already been a few btw.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#136 » by bluerap23 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:26 pm

There are certain guys that will only get a second chance with teams that are completely in the tank. It isn't just the Raptors that passed on him. Also, no evidence that Cleveland was willing to trade him in conference.

BTW, did Houston win?
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Post#137 » by Brinbe » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:04 pm

I would've loved porter Jr here. More skilled and accomplished version of TD.

But they're in full stasis evaluation mode. They're buying time. For what? Only the front office knows right now.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,165

Post#138 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:17 pm

The guy shot 11/25. Context is key
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,099

Post#139 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:22 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

Lol why do you have to go to the extreme? This board is hilarious that if you question anything our management does, it means that you hate them all together lol. I repeat, we have the best management in the game and I would not trade them for any other management.

Your exact words were "these are the type of buy lows that I wish we'd take chances on". There is a strong implication there that the Raps have failed to take advantage of such buy low opportunities in the past. I was simply - but yes, sarcastically - noting that our entire fricken' team, including the coach, represents management taking advantage of buy-low opportunities.

Given the general reluctance of US athletes to come north of the border, we have to pick our spots. This trade for Houston's heavily protected second could have been consumated, although Raps only have one 2nd round pick available in the next few seasons. Perhaps Masai wants to save it for use in a bigger deal.

And I hope you realize the stats you quoted are from ONE friggin game. Feel free to check his season stats after tonight's game, you might think he's an actual allstar lol.

Actually, I didn't realize this was his first game this season. After last night he's down to 14.3% from 3 for the two games. Including last season, he's averaging 32%. But, unlike Norm, he seems to be able to pass and (maybe) rebound the ball. Interesting prospect, being given the green light by a going nowhere franchise.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,282

Post#140 » by PhilBlackson » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:30 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

The guy shot 11/25. Context is key

In his first game or so against arguably the league's best defense or you saying good players never have numbers like that?!?

I can understand making that kinda comment if he had a full season (particularly on a good team) and this was pretty much his norm but it obviously isn't and context also applies to the level of competition. Powell shot 7 of 17 and Lowry 5 of 18 against BOS which is an even lower percentage and these guys are the ones supposedlycarrying us, does this "context" mean they're garbage or overrated or maybe what you're trying to imply is fairly meaningless and it's not the case for anyone being mentioned.

All you have to do is actually WATCH KP Jr and it's obvious he's a very talented young player. Not lighting up the league's best defense in your first game doesn't somehow kill that notion.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley

Return to Toronto Raptors