ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors lose top assistant to Wolves

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Re: Raptors lose top assistant to Wolves 

Post#161 » by MadDogSHWA » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:34 pm

Marty_Budda wrote:
7 Footer wrote:He went from probably like a 5 figure salary to 7 figures. Easy choice.

no way assistant coaches in the nba make less than 100k. Maybe in the WNBA. But yeah he probably more than quadrupled his salary.

Kia Nurse the WNBA correspondent on the TNT broadcast only makes 57K. I agree, no way NBA coaches make less than 6 figgies.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,792

Post#162 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:37 pm

Zeno wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:Don't recall an assistant coach ever being poached from a team midseason, Raps are all class to give their blessing, but there really should be some compensation.

It is the first time an assistant from another staff has been hired as the permanent replacement in-season since the Memphis Grizzlies hired Bucks assistant Lionel Hollins in 2009.

https://theathletic.com/2340381/2021/02/22/ryan-saunders-fired-chris-finch-hired-timberwolves/

Honest question from an outsider who generally routs for long tortured franchises to turn it around...

If you could just wipe the slate clean now, complete roster, new ownership, new everything with no Townes, Russell but a bunch of 1sts including your own and a cleanish cap sheet would you? Because for at least 2 years you could see this coming. They decided to get in deeper. Building around another big man in a guard driven league, and devaluing him as they go. It's gone on for generations from Garnett to Love to Towns. I apologize for asking this, but this situation is so frustrating and sad that I'm not even a fan of the team and I'm frustrated and sad. best wishes, hope Finch works out for you.

I would hire a new gm, entire front office, trade every single player, and change the name of the team, and just burn anything wolves. A new coach won’t fix it.
wtcantfw
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,578

Post#163 » by wtcantfw » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:37 pm

dagger wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:Don't recall an assistant coach ever being poached from a team midseason, Raps are all class to give their blessing, but there really should be some compensation.

Apparently, Memphis poached Lionel Hollins from another team mid-season a couple of decades ago.

Ouch, when you realize 2009 is considered "a couple of decades ago".
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#164 » by MadDogSHWA » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:38 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
And1Skip wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Oh wow, I forgot he was Saunder's top assistant. Why didn't they just give the job to him??

Guess we're gonna do the whole race thing every time now...

Only until people have equality.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,792

Post#165 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:39 pm

Btw, I don’t see where finch made the changes he discussed at the start of the year. For example, the only guy I see cut regularly is bembry.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#166 » by MadDogSHWA » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:47 pm

fbalmeida wrote:Can't help thinking that Finch jumped the gun here. Had he waited until the end of this season, he might've found himself coaching the Celtics or the Bucks, instead of an organization who's entire franchise history can be described as a permanent tank and rebuild, interrupted only by Kevin Garnett.

You never give up an opportunity of this magnitude.
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,850

Post#167 » by rocky_da_best » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:01 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
And1Skip wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Oh wow, I forgot he was Saunder's top assistant. Why didn't they just give the job to him??

It's about equity not equality. If you're gonna preach it, at least know what you're preaching.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#168 » by MadDogSHWA » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:05 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:

It's about equity not equality. If you're gonna preach it, at least know what you're preaching.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: This is the first time I've seen this meme without the captions. It makes this smug post even funnier.
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,582

Post#169 » by NeoDragonKnight » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:08 pm

I don't think people realize what a big deal it is for any assistant without any NBA HC under their belt is despite how awful the franchise maybe. If you are an assistant you don't have the luxury of picking and chosing your HC job unless you are a big name, it maybe the only HC shot someone may ever get.
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach

Post#170 » by rocky_da_best » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:09 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

EDIT: This is the first time I've seen this meme without the captions. It makes this smug post even funnier.

lol ok dude.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#171 » by MadDogSHWA » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:09 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:

lol ok dude.

Only a racist would refer to my post as 'preaching'.
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,911

Post#172 » by bape_lovers » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:11 pm

do we get another assistant?

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach

Post#173 » by rocky_da_best » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:15 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

lol ok dude.

Ok so let me get this straight. So at first I was an **** but in your eyes probably a racist because I think that Chris Finch got the job because he has a better resume. Then you came at me because you didn't like what I implied with my original post. Then I corrected you and you got upset because I made you look foolish. And now you're clutching at straws, jumping to more conclusions, and calling me a racist because of my word choice? Ok lol. I forget why I had you blocked but I guess it makes sense now.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#174 » by Westside Gunn » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:21 pm

No matter who the coach is, you won't win with KAT hanging out at the 3 point line
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,785

Post#175 » by Zeno » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:25 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Zeno wrote:
Klomp wrote:
It is the first time an assistant from another staff has been hired as the permanent replacement in-season since the Memphis Grizzlies hired Bucks assistant Lionel Hollins in 2009.

https://theathletic.com/2340381/2021/02/22/ryan-saunders-fired-chris-finch-hired-timberwolves/

Honest question from an outsider who generally routs for long tortured franchises to turn it around...

If you could just wipe the slate clean now, complete roster, new ownership, new everything with no Townes, Russell but a bunch of 1sts including your own and a cleanish cap sheet would you? Because for at least 2 years you could see this coming. They decided to get in deeper. Building around another big man in a guard driven league, and devaluing him as they go. It's gone on for generations from Garnett to Love to Towns. I apologize for asking this, but this situation is so frustrating and sad that I'm not even a fan of the team and I'm frustrated and sad. best wishes, hope Finch works out for you.

I would hire a new gm, entire front office, trade every single player, and change the name of the team, and just burn anything wolves. A new coach won’t fix it.

Oh I agree but I wanted to ask a fan who is more attached. I’d call in various religious leaders to preform any and all cleansing rituals they think might help as well.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#176 » by MadDogSHWA » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:26 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
lol ok dude.

Ok so let me get this straight. So at first I was an **** but in your eyes probably a racist because I think that Chris Finch got the job because he has a better resume. Then you came at me because you didn't like what I implied with my original post. Then I corrected you and you got upset because I made you look foolish. And now you're clutching at straws, jumping to more conclusions, and calling me a racist because of my word choice? Ok lol. I forget why I had you blocked but I guess it makes sense now.

Dame is speaking out against racism. You're speaking out against him. Easy math.

Just block me and I'll do the same with you and it will be like the good old days when this place actually had an ignore feature.
vado
Analyst
And1: 2,172

Post#177 » by vado » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:34 pm

Does Finch use Saunders assistants or does he try and find new ones midseason? This whole situation is off
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach

Post#178 » by rocky_da_best » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:41 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

Dame is speaking out against racism. You're speaking out against him. Easy math.

Just block me and I'll do the same with you and it will be like the good old days when this place actually had an ignore feature.

Since you like math:

Vanterpool 7 years as an assistant with Portland and 2 years most notably with the T-Wolves i.e. he's been there during their **** show. Before then had 5 years as an assistant in Moscow.

Finch 5 years with the rockets, 1 with the Nuggets, 3 with the Pelicans, and part of a season with the Raptors. And before the NBA he had multiple head coaching gigs in lower leagues amounting to 14 years. Was a candidate to have been the T-Wolves head coach in the first place.

As one poster mentioned, Dame's comment was as much about standing up for his boy who coached him for 7 years as it was about racism. I'm not even sure which it was, I just assumed it was about racism knowing that's where everyone goes to nowadays with head coaching hires.

I already do have you blocked, why I don't know, but you jumping to conclusions that I'm racist and yelling it so emphatically and at the top of your lungs when there isn't even the slightest of hints of it probably reinforces my original decision to have you blocked. I was minding my business till you decided to derail the thread and slinging out personal attacks my way.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#179 » by MadDogSHWA » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:53 pm

vado wrote:Does Finch use Saunders assistants or does he try and find new ones midseason? This whole situation is off

Historically the new coach rides with existing assistants. Too much continuity to lose.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,327

Post#180 » by douggood » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:00 pm

vado wrote:Does Finch use Saunders assistants or does he try and find new ones midseason? This whole situation is off

WOJ reports they plan on keeping the assistants, but vanterpool could choose to leave if he feels slighted.

"Finch is expected to begin the job Tuesday in Milwaukee with Saunders' coaching staff in place, including associate head coach David Vanterpool and assistants Bryan Gates and Pablo Prigioni, sources said.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30943300/sources-minnesota-timberwolves-dismiss-coach-ryan-saunders"

Return to Toronto Raptors