ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#1041 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:47 pm

Snowwy wrote:
duppyy wrote:I hope Zach Edey can improve next year, I thought he'd enter the draft and get picked in the 2nd round. Maybe he thinks he can squeak into the first round next year.

Do you think he is a NBA player? He can barely run up the court. To me, he projects as a solid international player. Very slow, very methodical. Does not fit in the NBA playoffs, that is for sure. Sadly.

He can definitely run up and down the court. I think he's an NBA player for sure, playoffs is a different ball game. He'll be better offensively than Gobert just based on the size difference alone, but Edey has a nice touch.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,627

Post#1042 » by Bruin » Wed May 25, 2022 10:36 pm

Snowwy wrote:
Bruin wrote:2023 5 star Elijah Fisher is committing tonight. Texas Tech is the favorite

Hope it isn't Texas Tech. Not a good school for developing NBA players. Total cowards when it comes to scheduling. Their non-conference schedule was 347th out of 358 in terms of difficulty last year. Below average in terms of pace. But they do seem to pay their players (NIL). Certainly Kansas or Kentucky would be better and Ok St seems to have helped Cade (although I'm not as all in on Cade as some people)

It’s not the biggest basketball school but the Big12 is one of the strongest conferences in the NCAA right now and he’d get to be the featured player there which will help him

It seems the commitment has been rescheduled for tomorrow and all signs are pointing to Texas Tech
Snowwy
Junior
And1: 209

Post#1043 » by Snowwy » Wed May 25, 2022 11:01 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Snowwy wrote:
duppyy wrote:I hope Zach Edey can improve next year, I thought he'd enter the draft and get picked in the 2nd round. Maybe he thinks he can squeak into the first round next year.

Do you think he is a NBA player? He can barely run up the court. To me, he projects as a solid international player. Very slow, very methodical. Does not fit in the NBA playoffs, that is for sure. Sadly.

He can definitely run up and down the court. I think he's an NBA player for sure, playoffs is a different ball game. He'll be better offensively than Gobert just based on the size difference alone, but Edey has a nice touch.

I get that this is a bit of a touchy subject as he is a local player, but have you had a chance the whole game of his instead of just the highlights? I know it is tough to find time to watch a lot of games. I just don't see how he gets enough NBA minutes to be better than Gobert at anything, but maybe he will.

Was it not a red flag to you that he could not dominate St. Peter's? They had no one taller than 6'8", almost like how the NBA is these days and his coach played him 17 minutes. 11 points, 5 turnovers.

PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,155

Post#1044 » by PoundTown » Wed May 25, 2022 11:10 pm

Snowwy wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
Snowwy wrote:Do you think he is a NBA player? He can barely run up the court. To me, he projects as a solid international player. Very slow, very methodical. Does not fit in the NBA playoffs, that is for sure. Sadly.

I get that this is a bit of a touchy subject as he is a local player, but have you had a chance the whole game of his instead of just the highlights? I know it is tough to find time to watch a lot of games. I just don't see how he gets enough NBA minutes to be better than Gobert at anything, but maybe he will.

Was it not a red flag to you that he could not dominate St. Peter's? They had no one taller than 6'8", almost like how the NBA is these days and his coach played him 17 minutes. 11 points, 5 turnovers.

If he makes the NBA, I'm expecting a Boban type role. Come in off the bench, when hopefully the most dangerous players for opponent are sitting and hope he gives you more than he gives up on the other end.
Snowwy
Junior

Post#1045 » by Snowwy » Wed May 25, 2022 11:15 pm

PoundTown wrote:
Snowwy wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

If he makes the NBA, I'm expecting a Boban type role. Come in off the bench, when hopefully the most dangerous players for opponent are sitting and hope he gives you more than he gives up on the other end.

He is a fantastic basketball player and will be important to team Canada in my opinion, I just feel he is born 20 or 30 years too late. I'm not trying to be hateful or anything, and I would love to be wrong.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#1046 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed May 25, 2022 11:29 pm

Snowwy wrote:
PoundTown wrote:
Snowwy wrote:I get that this is a bit of a touchy subject as he is a local player, but have you had a chance the whole game of his instead of just the highlights? I know it is tough to find time to watch a lot of games. I just don't see how he gets enough NBA minutes to be better than Gobert at anything, but maybe he will.

He is a fantastic basketball player and will be important to team Canada in my opinion, I just feel he is born 20 or 30 years too late. I'm not trying to be hateful or anything, and I would love to be wrong.

Eventually one of these coaches will find a way or trust these BIG BIG guys with minutes. Not comparing these guys to Embiid, but somehow he gets away with playing on defense.

Embiid Jokic, do they have great lateral quicks

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Snowwy
Junior

Post#1047 » by Snowwy » Fri May 27, 2022 11:18 am

Elijah Fisher is the fourth freshman to sign with Texas Tech in the 2022 class, joining ESPN 100 point guard Rickie Isaacs and four-star prospects Lamar Washington and Robert Jennings. Adams is also bringing in a four-man transfer class that includes Fardaws Aimaq (Utah Valley), De'Vion Harmon (Oregon), Jaylon Tyson (Texas) and D'Maurian Williams (Gardner-Webb). Aimaq, Harmon and Tyson are all ranked inside ESPN's top 100 transfers
Snowwy
Junior

Post#1048 » by Snowwy » Fri May 27, 2022 11:21 am

Snowwy wrote:Elijah Fisher is the fourth freshman to sign with Texas Tech in the 2022 class, joining ESPN 100 point guard Rickie Isaacs and four-star prospects Lamar Washington and Robert Jennings. Adams is also bringing in a four-man transfer class that includes Fardaws Aimaq (Utah Valley), De'Vion Harmon (Oregon), Jaylon Tyson (Texas) and D'Maurian Williams (Gardner-Webb). Aimaq, Harmon and Tyson are all ranked inside ESPN's top 100 transfers

:-? :-? :-?

We will see what happens here but my first thought is here is a guy who will be dropping in next season’s draft.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#1049 » by mojo13 » Fri May 27, 2022 5:54 pm

Snowwy wrote:
Snowwy wrote:Elijah Fisher is the fourth freshman to sign with Texas Tech in the 2022 class, joining ESPN 100 point guard Rickie Isaacs and four-star prospects Lamar Washington and Robert Jennings. Adams is also bringing in a four-man transfer class that includes Fardaws Aimaq (Utah Valley), De'Vion Harmon (Oregon), Jaylon Tyson (Texas) and D'Maurian Williams (Gardner-Webb). Aimaq, Harmon and Tyson are all ranked inside ESPN's top 100 transfers

We will see what happens here but my first thought is here is a guy who will be dropping in next season’s draft.

Dropping? As in falling down the draft boards?

If so, please show me something that says he's expected to be drafted in 2023? Fisher's dropped preciptiously in the rankings over the last couple years as his development sort of plateaued and his peer grouop caught up to him. I don't think anyone serious is really expecting him to be a sure fire NBA pick at this point. However, it is only recently on the sping AAU circuit that he looked like he re-turned the corner on development. He has looked much better as of late and has actually gotten me back on board as a potential NBA propsect.

I'm quite excited to see him at Tech. If he balls out, we may actually start seeing him on draft boards.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,522

Post#1050 » by OakleyDokely » Fri May 27, 2022 6:54 pm

Read on Twitter
DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 401

Post#1051 » by DoctaJ » Fri May 27, 2022 7:42 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Snowwy wrote:

Dropping? As in falling down the draft boards?

If so, please show me something that says he's expected to be drafted in 2023? Fisher's dropped preciptiously in the rankings over the last couple years as his development sort of plateaued and his peer grouop caught up to him. I don't think anyone serious is really expecting him to be a sure fire NBA pick at this point. However, it is only recently on the sping AAU circuit that he looked like he re-turned the corner on development. He has looked much better as of late and has actually gotten me back on board as a potential NBA propsect.

I'm quite excited to see him at Tech. If he balls out, we may actually start seeing him on draft boards.

Yup, all I've seen is a few 2024 mocks/rankings. Like you, looking forward to watching him at TT.
Snowwy
Junior

Post#1052 » by Snowwy » Sat May 28, 2022 2:10 am

We will see how it turns out, I think we will see more of an Emoni Bates type of situation rather than a Jalen Duran situation. Have any of these free agent schools succeeded yet since the transfer rules have changed?
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#1053 » by BilboBanginz » Sun Jun 5, 2022 3:00 pm

Read on Twitter
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#1054 » by SharoneWright » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:20 am

Did anyone learn anything about Josh Primo this year? How should I feel about his future?
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,485

Post#1055 » by Hair Canada » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:12 pm

SharoneWright wrote:Did anyone learn anything about Josh Primo this year? How should I feel about his future?

Still too early to tell I would think. Those who see a future star can point to flashes of shot creation/making, passing athleticism, and defensive upside. Those who see a bust in the making would point out the shooting inefficiency, TOs, and questionable handle. For myself, I think it is likely to fall somewhere in between: A rotation player, maybe even a good one, but very unlikely a star. But who knows. I also thought NAW was going to break out this year...

Mind you, Primo is still younger than two-thirds of the players who will be drafted in the first round two weeks from now.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#1056 » by Hair Canada » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:05 pm

CB posted a list of 22 players who will be in the training camp going into the new U23 Global Jam event in Toronto:

https://www.basketball.ca/news/twenty-two-nextgen-u23-mens-athletes-to-attend-globl-jam-training-camp-in-toronto

Before looking at the list, let's have some fun. Here are some players who COULD HAVE been on this list age-wise:

Barrett, Dort, Banton, Andrew Nembhard, Primo, Sharpe, Mathurin, Lawson, Houstan, and Edey.

Besides the NBA guys, there are also a couple of (literally) big college names who are missing (besides Edey, who's already part of the senior team). These include Fardaws Aimaq, Tyrese Samuel, Maurice Calloo, Nick Ongenda, and Ben Krikke. Could have also been nice to see the Ivy League graduates Noah Kirkwood and Jaelin Llewellyn on the list.

But back to the actual list, a couple of former Canada junior teams players stand out to me as "sure things", including Marcus Carr, Charles Bediako, Quincy Guerrier, Emanuel Miller, Keeshawn Barthelemy, Prosper, and Ryan Nembhard (if he's healthy; I was a bit surprised to see him on the list so soon after his wrist injury late in the season).

The list includes some really young guys who are not yet in college (Mahi, Miller), and a few seasoned Team Canada veterans like Djuricic, Smith, and Shephard.

Some players I'd be especially curious to see if they make it into the final 12:

Obviously, Leonard Miller, fresh off the decision to withdraw from this year's NBA draft, who could play next to his older brother (wouldn't that be fun!).

Addison Patterson and Cashius McNeilly. The two big names from the Canadian class of 2020 disappeared from sight in recent years. Patterson hasn't played competitive basketball in more than 2 years and McNeilly in more than 3 years (recently reemerged with a commitment to his 4th (!) college team, Pittsburgh; but he hasn't played a minute with the first 3).

Liam McChesney is a lengthy big PF from BC who was pretty quiet so far in his college career but I think can break out soon.

From the Usport guys, it would be interesting to see if Aaron Rhooms can make it to the team. Had a really good rookie year and looks like an interesting prospect.
— Steve Nash
mojo13
Veteran

Post#1057 » by mojo13 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:35 pm

Hair Canada wrote:
Before looking at the list, let's have some fun. Here are some players who COULD HAVE been on this list age-wise:

Barrett, Dort, Banton, Andrew Nembhard, Primo, Sharpe, Mathurin, Lawson, Houstan, and Edey.

And more fun....

Shai Gilgeous Alexander
Oshae Brissett
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Ignas Brazdeikis

Nate Darling
Karim Mane

Emmanuel Akot
Abu Kigab
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#1058 » by Hair Canada » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:09 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:

And more fun....

Shai Gilgeous Alexander
Oshae Brissett
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Ignas Brazdeikis

Nate Darling
Karim Mane

Emmanuel Akot
Abu Kigab

Couldn't find definitive info on this, but it does seem like U23 means players born Jan 1, 1999 or later (meaning they would be no older than 23.5 at the time of the competition).

So if that's the case, then no SGA, NAW, Brissett, Darling, or Kigab (or Wigginton or Vrankic). Iggy would be eligible (barely) but he's already declared he wants to play for Lithuania.

Mane is somewhat of a questionable prospect for me right now. Haven't seen him play decently anywhere outside of high school and a bit of U19 WC. But yes, he'd be worth a shot. Akot I agree could have been interesting.
— Steve Nash
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#1059 » by johanliebert » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:36 am

Haha I remember all of the wiggins vitriol last summer despite him being the clear cut best player on the team. Some posters wanted him coming off the bench for last summers Canadian roster.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#1060 » by mojo13 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:41 pm

johanliebert wrote:Haha I remember all of the wiggins vitriol last summer despite him being the clear cut best player on the team. Some posters wanted him coming off the bench for last summers Canadian roster.

You may need to source that please. If found surely those were nothing more than a couple casual interlopers.

Most regular posters here never gave up on dear Wiggy and recognized that even Wiggins in his worst years was always a top 3-5 Canadian talent - let alone last year when he just completed a really good season for the Warriors (best effeciency and defense seen at that point in his career).

Return to Toronto Raptors