ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,744

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#1061 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:01 pm

Where's the thread for the Women's U18 they are onto the Semi finals!
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#1062 » by mojo13 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:41 pm

Alrighty then...SMNT camp starts today and the 14 man core that has provided a three year cycle committment is shown to be a little more squishy than any of us hoped.

RJ Barrett, Oshae Brissett, Khem Birch, Luguentz Dort, Jamal Murray, Cory Joseph and Kevin Pangos are not playing this window but will attend camp.

Cory Joseph is not playing, but "exempt" from camp due to the birth of a child.

Dillon Brooks is absent completely and unexcused. Nurse's first commentary on this seems to indicated Brooks is out of the 14 man "core" and will have to earn his way back in if there are enough absences (ala Andrew Wiggins).

This is a pretty crap start IMO. But I guess excuses do exist for each (as always).

Barrett - staring down a big extention and supposedly ended the season with a knee injury. Hasn't been any video out there of him playing or working out, so perhaps the injury is real.
Brissett - possible extention summer. I honestly think he should be playing.
Birch - just had knee surgury. Valid out.
Dort - extention concerns and coming off a shoulder injury. I have no idea the state of his injury recovery, but he is probably no where near game shape.
Murray - lingering knee issues although has been medically cleared since mid April. Maybe just not feeling in shape enough to play?
Pangos - Contract limbo with CSKA. Trying to sign with another team but CSKA holds his contract and so far will not release him..

Brooks - supossedly the excuse is that the Grizz "want him in Memphis" this summer. Yet it is not too hard to show up for a 3-4 day camp in Canada and just sit around and watch. He did hurt himself last summer in workouts (not with the SMNT) and missed a good part of the season. Perhaps Memphis is thinking about that. I did hear Brooks was the last to committ to the "core" and had serious reservations. So maybe there is other stuff going on. Either way it shows the constant pressure these guys are under not to play FIBA by their clubs and agents. Typical BS.

So the same crap as every summer and why I'm still skeptical about this summer "core" concept. Perhaps just being in camp is worth something.

So cue the winter core replacements and a 16 man camp roster of:
Alexander
Alexander-Walker
Bell-Haynes
Best
Chery
Edey
Ejim
Gilgeous-Alexander
Kajami-Keane
Morgan
Mukama
Olynyk
Powell
Robertson
Phil Scrubb
Thomas Scrubb

So 4 NBA players out of a possible 11. Oof...but not th end of the world.

First off this is still an excellent roster that should have no problem with the DR and USVI.
SGA is the most important Canadian player at this point in my opinion. More than the always injured Jamal Murray. Kelly Olynyk is still by far our most important big and can completely open up the floor for this team. He is in my top 3 or 4 most important FIBA players for Canada. So with SGA and KO and plenty of good role players around them you can build an excellent team.

I do think there is a good chance the 4 NBA players don't travel to USVI and the winter core handles things. This happened in the past with Chile.

Starting line up?
Seems likely Nurse would go with the 4 NBA players SGA, NAW, Powell, Olynyk at the very least to have them build some familiarity.

Plenty of options as a 5th starter- but my guess is with so many PGs on the team they run with TBH (or Chery) and have SGA off ball. Or perhaps even Phil Scrubb as more a combo.

I could also see going with Ejim or Tommy Scrubb as a SF at run SGA at PG. What do you all think?
I tend to think they go a little smaller to contend with Victor Liz, who drives DRs offense.

Obviously Nurse will shift things around allot and it will be quite fluid. But I don't think there is any reason to look at SGA as a PG - especially with TBH, Chery, Keane, and Scrubb all there.

Alexander, T Scrubb, Ejim, Robertson, TBH, P Scrubb should be the main guys behind the 4 NBA players.
Maybe Nurse tools around with Edey to see what he can do at this level, but hopefully that is left for the USVI game.

Assuming the 4 NBA guys don't play in USVI it should be the Winter Core rotation just with Wiltjer out and Ejim in.
InfraRedshaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 757

Post#1063 » by InfraRedshaw » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:45 pm

I snagged some tix for the game in Hamilton and can't lie, feeling a little chapped about how few of the guys will actually be suiting up...

But like Mojo said, this team shouldn't have any issues with DR, but definitely a bit of a pump fake!

Here is hoping SGA and NAW can go off in front of their hometown!
Just 8* years ago Andrea Bargnani was my franchise player, you MF'ers can't rain on my parade
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,332

Post#1064 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:57 am

https://theathletic.com/realtime/inSuqMGEXNdP/

Seems Dillion bailed and no longer has guaranteed spot
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#1065 » by Hair Canada » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:26 am

Thanks for the breakdown mojo.

Guess I'm a bit less pessimistic about this.

First, I love that Shai, Nickeil, Dwight, and Kelley are playing.

Jamal, Lu, and Khem I didn't expect to play here with legit injuries. Same for Barrett, but I have no doubt he will play when it matters if not seriously injured. Injuries are going to happen. Hopefully, not too many of these next summer when it really matters. Anyway, glad to see all of them coming to camp and at least showing some commitment.

So it's really just Oshae who's (it seems) healthy but not playing. For him, it's an important summer where he could get paid quite more handsomely than he did so far. In the past, players in this position (including Olynyk and SGA) did not come to play even in more important tournaments than this one. Really can't falt a player in this position. Which is the reason I'm bummed that OKC did not extend Dort this year. It means next year he's an UFA, which complicates things and might cause him to miss the WC (though the WC is in August, and by then he should already have a secure contract).

This leaves Dillon Brooks as the odd man out. Not sure he's that committed to the plan. But I'm still wondering whether this is going to end up in some semi-legit excuse that allows him to stay part of the 14-man core. And I actually disagree with those who say the team is better off without him anyway. With Wiggins out, Brooks is our best wing defender, and it's not even close. I get that he can be over-confident and inefficient on offense, but not more than someone like RJ and I think if they play with the likes of SGA and Murray, they'll both be less trigger happy. On defense, Brooks is indispensable.

Last one -- I'm more of a believer in Edey of this team and think he should see significant minutes in both games. We'll need some patience with him, but he brings something to the table that no one else does.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#1066 » by Kenter16 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:46 pm

I'll admit I was pretty down when they first announced the roster, but seeing people at camp actually participating is very encouraging. I was expecting the guys who aren't playing in the games to just be there, but they are full participants. That's great. That's what we need. Practicing as a team is arguably more important than playing a meaningless game in the USVI.

Then there is this from Shai... couldn't be more excited to see him committed. Shai is arguably our best player. You can build a winning FIBA team around him. Contract won't be an issue in this cycle for him. Injuries have been a common occurrence, but, honestly that may have more to do with OKC wanting a higher draft pick. They seem to rule everyone out for the season as soon as they get a scratch after Feb 1. It will be interesting to see if he heads down for the Americup.

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=i5mBHbzrIsPW6DZnwqVJvg
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1067 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:44 pm

niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,213

Post#1068 » by niQ » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:45 pm

Read on Twitter
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,213

Post#1069 » by niQ » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:19 pm

WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1070 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:47 pm

TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 952

Post#1071 » by TheFutureMM » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:15 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:

This is what this team needs - one of our top guys to step up and go, "I'm in". Shai is answering the call. Love that NAW, Olynyk, and Powell are also here. Really happy to see the other guys here supporting as well. Would have been great to have Wiggins and Brooks too but getting everyone bought in and engaged was never going to happen.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#1072 » by SharoneWright » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:09 am

SharoneWright wrote:
Bruin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=Zn5ZYzFJkViaCVxiSX0jvQ

So, I guess you can commit and then opt out... opening up spots for others? Doesn't seem like a very firm commitment.

It was always a bit of smoke and mirrors/empty threat. But I appreciate management's attempt to elevate the opportunity to play for our country.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
mojo13
Veteran

Post#1073 » by mojo13 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=qVCjIoBe-zG72Dh6BHZ7jQ

And finally a final 14 announced for Domincan Republic for Friday's game (they beat Canada Basketball at least). Most the core group from Window 2. Liz, Vargas, Delgado, Selano all started (missing starter Luis Monterro who didnt do much - only played 7 minutes and didnt start their next game vs Bahamas). Mendoza, Rojas & Feliz were the big minutes players off the bench. No obvious additions of anyone too meaningful - all seem to be lower level guys.

This seems pretty par (maybe a little weaker) to the team the winter core handled 85-79 in DR in Feb. No Duarte, Horford, KAT but I don't think the fanbase expected any (maybe Duarte).

I'd be pretty shocked if this was even within 15 points. But who knows how bad Canada's chemistry might be....
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,521

Post#1074 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:23 am

TheFutureMM wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

This is what this team needs - one of our top guys to step up and go, "I'm in". Shai is answering the call. Love that NAW, Olynyk, and Powell are also here. Really happy to see the other guys here supporting as well. Would have been great to have Wiggins and Brooks too but getting everyone bought in and engaged was never going to happen.

Sounds great about Shae. If only Murray was healthy and playing too. Hopefully next summer after a comeback season in Denver
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
GoRaptors
Freshman
And1: 58

Post#1075 » by GoRaptors » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:52 am

I know the upcoming qualifiers are being shown on Sportsnet with live coverage. However, I might not be able to watch one of the games. Would the games be repeated on TV or shown on youtube at a later time.
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#1076 » by BilboBanginz » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:16 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible for us to clinch a World Cup spot if we finish Round 1 6-0? I seem to remember other teams clinching a WC birth before the start of Round 2 during the last cycle, but i'm not 100%.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#1077 » by frumble » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:54 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible for us to clinch a World Cup spot if we finish Round 1 6-0? I seem to remember other teams clinching a WC birth before the start of Round 2 during the last cycle, but i'm not 100%.

I don't think it's possible.

The standings to start the second round will likely look something like:

Canada 6-0
Ven 5-1
Arg 5-1
DR 4-2
Panama 2-4
Bahamas 2-4

Even if we win both upcoming games, we will only be two games up on the 4th place team, and, with six games remaining, won't be close to clinching a spot.
vi3t
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#1078 » by vi3t » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:27 pm

InfraRedshaw wrote:I snagged some tix for the game in Hamilton and can't lie, feeling a little chapped about how few of the guys will actually be suiting up...

But like Mojo said, this team shouldn't have any issues with DR, but definitely a bit of a pump fake!

probably going to grab some last minute tickets for tomorrow
mojo13
Veteran

Post#1079 » by mojo13 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:03 pm

frumble wrote:
BilboBanginz wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible for us to clinch a World Cup spot if we finish Round 1 6-0? I seem to remember other teams clinching a WC birth before the start of Round 2 during the last cycle, but i'm not 100%.

I don't think it's possible.

The standings to start the second round will likely look something like:

Canada 6-0
Ven 5-1
Arg 5-1
DR 4-2
Panama 2-4
Bahamas 2-4

Even if we win both upcoming games, we will only be two games up on the 4th place team, and, with six games remaining, won't be close to clinching a spot.

Agree with Frumble here.
The 3rd place finishers in 2019 were BRA at 9-3 and PR at 8-4. The best 4th place finisher (DR) was 7-5 and Qualfied. The other 4th place team URU was 6-6 and failed to Qualify.

We'd be really close to Qualfying at 6-0 - likely just need to pick up the games vs PAN - but we can do better than that.
These games matter for FIBA rankings and Venezuela is just a smidge ahead of us - if we can pick up both games there, we may be able to jump them.
InfraRedshaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 757

Post#1080 » by InfraRedshaw » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:41 pm

vi3t wrote:
InfraRedshaw wrote:I snagged some tix for the game in Hamilton and can't lie, feeling a little chapped about how few of the guys will actually be suiting up...

probably going to grab some last minute tickets for tomorrow

hell yeah dude! I've been a pretty big Canada basketball fan but never had the chance to see them live (was working on Ott for last few years) so am pretty stoked to finally check them out in person!
Just 8* years ago Andrea Bargnani was my franchise player, you MF'ers can't rain on my parade

Return to Toronto Raptors