ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0

Moderators: Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, 7 Footer, Rhettmatic, niQ, Patman, pbj, Alfred

Kenter16
Sophomore
Posts: 201
And1: 37
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#41 » by Kenter16 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:52 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:FIBA's rules about naturalized players do indeed appear to be arbitrary. This seems to support the claims from Spain's and Greece's federations. It appears to back up what those federations claimed, in that FIBA's rules on naturalized players are arbitrary and are applied differently for each national team. They claimed that teams like Spain and Greece won't be allowed to use even players that had citizenship and were in their country at age 14, two years before the stated age of 16 in FIBA's rules. As the Spanish and Greek federations claimed, even if players had full citizenship and were in their country at age 14 or 15, and were not naturalized, FIBA was not allowing them to play for their national teams now.

Then we have Nigeria, which seems to not have to adhere to these same rules at all. Not even the age 16 rule. Because this article talks about them having NBA players with no ties to the country and no parents or grandparents with ties to the country either, being able to take a naturalized spot under FIBA's rules. But as we know, each team is only supposed to get one such place.

OK, so if that is true for Nigeria also, how can they still have 10-12 players on their national team at major tournaments, that were not living in the country by before age 14 (as is supposedly being applied to Spain and Greece), or by age 16, as the rules of FIBA state? These are players that were born and raised in the USA, played high school and college basketball in the USA, are now in their 20s, and according to all info, have only lived in the USA..........

It doesn't add up. They have 10-12 players that never set foot in Nigeria, and yet they still have an open naturalized player spot that they have not even used?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31097946/denver-nuggets-morris-commits-play-nigeria-internationally


It is absolutely insane.

This is a quote from https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29075111/behind-nigeria-bid-land-brooklyn-nets-spencer-dinwiddie-olympics

"His name has been under consideration since last year," the official said. "We started talking about two years ago because we had some areas where we have weaknesses and the point guard area was a major one.

"We have a lot of depth in our forwards and centers. It is that playmaker that was the issue. And to compete at that level we need to be able to match up with the best. We hadn't found a dependable point guard until now.

"And to be honest, at the level we were competing before, like the AfroBasket, we didn't really need it. But the World Cup and Olympics are a different level.

"At that level, we need a very dependable point guard and Dinwiddie will be very useful to us in that position but he is top on the list for now, even though Ben Uzoh has been dependable for a long time."


They were lacking a point guard, so they went out and bought 2. In the Dinwiddie article, it states that he has 0 connections to the country. How can they do this? FIBA needs to figure this out.
Hair Canada
Pro Prospect
Posts: 903
And1: 855
Joined: Nov 02, 2017

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#42 » by Hair Canada » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:04 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:FIBA's rules about naturalized players do indeed appear to be arbitrary. This seems to support the claims from Spain's and Greece's federations. It appears to back up what those federations claimed, in that FIBA's rules on naturalized players are arbitrary and are applied differently for each national team. They claimed that teams like Spain and Greece won't be allowed to use even players that had citizenship and were in their country at age 14, two years before the stated age of 16 in FIBA's rules. As the Spanish and Greek federations claimed, even if players had full citizenship and were in their country at age 14 or 15, and were not naturalized, FIBA was not allowing them to play for their national teams now.

Then we have Nigeria, which seems to not have to adhere to these same rules at all. Not even the age 16 rule. Because this article talks about them having NBA players with no ties to the country and no parents or grandparents with ties to the country either, being able to take a naturalized spot under FIBA's rules. But as we know, each team is only supposed to get one such place.

OK, so if that is true for Nigeria also, how can they still have 10-12 players on their national team at major tournaments, that were not living in the country by before age 14 (as is supposedly being applied to Spain and Greece), or by age 16, as the rules of FIBA state? These are players that were born and raised in the USA, played high school and college basketball in the USA, are now in their 20s, and according to all info, have only lived in the USA..........

It doesn't add up. They have 10-12 players that never set foot in Nigeria, and yet they still have an open naturalized player spot that they have not even used?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31097946/denver-nuggets-morris-commits-play-nigeria-internationally


That's quite strange indeed and seems off. Another one of these players is Canadian Caleb Agada, who already played some with the Nigerian team. He's actually a very good player (excellent defender). Not an NBA talent, but I think he can certainly play in the Euroleague. Like the others, not clear how they got him to play for them and, more importantly, why FIBA would allow this.
Kenter16
Sophomore
Posts: 201
And1: 37
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#43 » by Kenter16 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:53 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

We need this guy in Victoria! Can someone in the media just ask him if he plans to play already? I gotta know!
Can imagine that the brass at Canada Basketball hasn't contacted him numerous times already about playing.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,015
And1: 1,389
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#44 » by mojo13 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:29 am

So what is the problem with Morris and Nigeria?
He MIGHT be their new naturalized player to replace Dinwiddie who is seemingly hurt. They needed a high level PG and went out and got one. How is this different than a Turkey buying Larkin or countless other Euro counties doing the same thing?

Who else specifically is in question for Nigeria? Name a rostered player that was not a citizen of Nigeria and had the documents to prove it prior to age 16? Show me when Nigeria rostered two naturalized players. Show me a player that is considered a natural born citizen but you think should be naturalized.

I just don’t see the issue here - especially for something that hasn’t even happened. It is Morris or Dinwiddie not both. Nigeria, like other countries can have multiple naturalized players in their pool, they just can’t be on on the final roster at the same time. Like Spain with Mirotic and Ibaka.

This is just a poorly written hype article by a Nigerian writer. Nigeria can not and will not roster both Morris and Dinwiddie - tell me their other problematic roster players. The writer can talk all he wants about a windfall of nba players coming to play for Nigeria - doesn’t mean it’s happening. He even covered his butt on Morris not playing.

With Caleb Agada - I don’t think we know his full backstory and need to know a few things. He has Nigerian parents, did he get his citizenship papers and passport before the age of 16? (I think so). Or is he considered naturalized? If naturalized, did he ever play for Nigeria when another naturalized player was on the roster? Of not, then what’s the problem?

FIBA is not playing with different sets of rule for different countries when it comes to naturalization. It’s silly to even think this. Think of the uproar from other national federations if this was happening. The looseness is with the individual countries and how easy they are with citizenship. Some counties like Nigeria and Turkey, you just need to flip and wand and presto - instant citizen. You can’t do this in Canada, there are very strict rules for citizenship as the Matt Bonner fiasco showed us. Could we recruit any old NBA star to play for Canada as a naturalized player...sure, if we can manage the citizenship piece.
Could a country forge papers to show that a player was a “citizen” before age 16? Sure...does it happen? The Philippines might have tried and failed. But I don’t know (maybe Nigeria is, for all we know)....but you can’t blame FIBA for that.

Or just be like Qatar and import promising kids from the Balkans at age 12 or 13 and try to develop them top flight players (with very little success) . I mean, if Qatar, has to go this desperate route, rather than just buy, bribe, cheat their way around the naturalization rule into better players it should tell you something.

But back to the issue of naturalization- look at it this way: Basically one player per country can be considered a free agent. It is up to the country to grant citizenship if it wants even if the player has absolutely ZERO ties to that country. We’ve seems this happen many, many times. Some more blatant than others. Many counties take advantage or this and it is totally within the rules. Many countries don’t. Nigeria has done nothing of concern here - many of you should know that.
TrueNorth31
Junior
Posts: 404
And1: 282
Joined: Sep 04, 2018
     

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#45 » by TrueNorth31 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:30 pm

I agree with Mojo, nothing particularly nefarious here in terms of Fiba eligibility rules other than some rather poor writing in the ESPN article. Here's some other comments.

- Nigeria has many expatriates living world wide ( my doctor is Nigerian ) so stuff like this is bound to happen. Dinwiddie at least has a Nigerian father, but did not obtain his passport before age 16. Morris appears to have no connection to Nigeria, so one is left to assume that he's playing for money like Andray Blatche for the Philippines.

- Bam Adebayo,Victor Oladipo and O.G. Anunoby all have Nigerian family connections.

- Canada basketball explicitly asks young recruits to bring a passport to Team Canada tryouts because of the 16 year old passport issue.

- Melvin Ejim actually tried out for the Nigerian team , was cut and then played for Canada.

- A main reason the 16 year old rule is in effect is ironically because of Greece and former Sacramento King Peja Stojakovic. Young Peja left war torn Belgrade as a 16 year old to play basketball in Greece. The Greeks fast tracked his citizenship at age 17 ( although he did learn Greek, married a Greek woman and even served in their army ), but at the time a Yugoslavian , Boris Stankovic was the powerful Fiba president. He was furious and felt the Greeks were trying to "steal players" ( I believe Spain also tried this tactic ) , so he pushed through the 16 year old passport rule.

- In terms of naturalizing players is this something Canada should pursue ? I honestly don't know ? Many countries take advantage of this loophole. Former National Team coach , Jack Donahue was fond of saying , " you don't win a war with mercenaries ", meaning Fiba Basketball is so intense you have to have a strong reason to persevere and play for a country.

If we did go this route the obvious target is Pascal Siakam. He's been in Canada ( 5 years ) probably long enough to qualify for citizenship on his own. If he didn't the government has the ability to fast track citizenship, they did this in 2012 for a Chinese ping pong player for Team Canada ( I'm not suggesting this for 2021 ). Naturally though , Pascal is a proud Cameroonian along with his buddy Joel Embiid, and I Imagine he rightly wants to represent the country he grew up in. Still the Cameroons can't quite seem to get it's act together as a federation ( Embiid has had ruminations about playing for France ) and struggles to qualify for anything outside of Africa.
Mirotic12
Analyst
Posts: 3,279
And1: 1,315
Joined: Jun 29, 2014

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#46 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:22 pm

mojo13 wrote:So what is the problem with Morris and Nigeria?
He MIGHT be their new naturalized player to replace Dinwiddie who is seemingly hurt. They needed a high level PG and went out and got one. How is this different than a Turkey buying Larkin or countless other Euro counties doing the same thing?

Who else specifically is in question for Nigeria? Name a rostered player that was not a citizen of Nigeria and had the documents to prove it prior to age 16? Show me when Nigeria rostered two naturalized players. Show me a player that is considered a natural born citizen but you think should be naturalized.

I just don’t see the issue here - especially for something that hasn’t even happened. It is Morris or Dinwiddie not both. Nigeria, like other countries can have multiple naturalized players in their pool, they just can’t be on on the final roster at the same time. Like Spain with Mirotic and Ibaka.

This is just a poorly written hype article by a Nigerian writer. Nigeria can not and will not roster both Morris and Dinwiddie - tell me their other problematic roster players. The writer can talk all he wants about a windfall of nba players coming to play for Nigeria - doesn’t mean it’s happening. He even covered his butt on Morris not playing.

With Caleb Agada - I don’t think we know his full backstory and need to know a few things. He has Nigerian parents, did he get his citizenship papers and passport before the age of 16? (I think so). Or is he considered naturalized? If naturalized, did he ever play for Nigeria when another naturalized player was on the roster? Of not, then what’s the problem?

FIBA is not playing with different sets of rule for different countries when it comes to naturalization. It’s silly to even think this. Think of the uproar from other national federations if this was happening. The looseness is with the individual countries and how easy they are with citizenship. Some counties like Nigeria and Turkey, you just need to flip and wand and presto - instant citizen. You can’t do this in Canada, there are very strict rules for citizenship as the Matt Bonner fiasco showed us. Could we recruit any old NBA star to play for Canada as a naturalized player...sure, if we can manage the citizenship piece.
Could a country forge papers to show that a player was a “citizen” before age 16? Sure...does it happen? The Philippines might have tried and failed. But I don’t know (maybe Nigeria is, for all we know)....but you can’t blame FIBA for that.

Or just be like Qatar and import promising kids from the Balkans at age 12 or 13 and try to develop them top flight players (with very little success) . I mean, if Qatar, has to go this desperate route, rather than just buy, bribe, cheat their way around the naturalization rule into better players it should tell you something.

But back to the issue of naturalization- look at it this way: Basically one player per country can be considered a free agent. It is up to the country to grant citizenship if it wants even if the player has absolutely ZERO ties to that country. We’ve seems this happen many, many times. Some more blatant than others. Many counties take advantage or this and it is totally within the rules. Many countries don’t. Nigeria has done nothing of concern here - many of you should know that.


Just look at their recent rosters. They have 10-11 players that were born and raised in the USA. Played high school and college basketball in the USA. Have lived their entire lives in the USA.

It shouldn't just matter if they had citizenship before age 16, because other countries have to have players staying in their country and with citizenship, either by age 16, or before age 14 (rules apparently placed on Greece and Spain and maybe others).

It shouldn't really just matter if Nigeria sends FIBA some document that claims these players had citizenship at age 16. Because anyone can check and see that they were born in the USA and lived their entire lives in the USA. At age 16, they were not in Nigeria, they were all playing high school basketball in the USA.

It also shouldn't just matter if they have a rule that you get citizenship if your parents have citizenship. Because FIBA passport rules have required that in such cases, the player be physically in the country to get their citizenship, through an official process. They shouldn't just be able to say their parent has Nigerian citizenship and that's it.

For example, if an American or Canadian or whatever player has a Greek parent and they want to get Greek citizenship and also a verified FIBA passport, they have to wait for 5 years after signing documents, which must be completed in Greece by them in person and by their parents. Then they must be physically staying inside of the country of Greece for at least 2 years after that, and then plus after they take citizenship and get a passport, they have to be staying in the country for one year's time, and then go to an official swearing in ceremony, attended by the Greek President. Only after all of that, can they be counted under FIBA's guidelines as having a Greek passport. It takes 5 years time total. It takes 3 years of staying in the country, and it takes 1 year after they get approved for the passport. Without physically being inside the country, none of that counts.

And from all the claims made by Greece's federation and coaches, they will now be counted as "naturalized" players, unless they were staying in Greece by age 14, not age 16. They can't just say, my parents were Greek, and Greece has natural birth citizenship, so I want to play for Greece. The passport rules don't work like that, and I never heard of any instances where they worked like that, until what we see with Nigeria. The athlete has to actually physically be presently staying in the country and go through an official period of time and an official ceremony. It's always been that way as far as I know, ever since they had these naturalized player rules.

Of course some countries have very different time periods. Most countries don't have such long time periods for it like Greece. As you mentioned Turkey for example. If I remember right, it's 3 years total for Turkey. You have to be physically staying inside Turkey for 3 years. You can't just get a passport because the federation wants to give you one. I think they also have a special sped up process for people that can make a contribution to Turkey. So the federation can speed it up under those instances, but even then, if I remember right, it is still is 2 years of time staying in the country, before you can get a passport, even under the special process.

This is not remotely like what FIBA seems to be doing with deciding on the eligibility of Nigerian players. At recent tournaments, they had up to 10-11 players that have never been staying in Nigeria. They never physically were residents there at any time in their lives, and somehow they are just getting passports and being allowed to play in FIBA tournaments.

FIBA shouldn't have a system where players have to be staying in the country for a set amount of time to qualify for certain national teams, and then for Nigeria, just act as that doesn't also apply to them.

You mentioned Larkin and Turkey. I believe from articles I read before, that he was granted the special exemption by the Turkish government, in that he could contribute to Turkey. But even under that sped up process, I believe it means 2 years of physically being in Turkey. And if you look at it, Larkin had been in Turkey for 2 years, when he supposedly got a Turkish passport, and it was 3 years of time, before he actually played in a game with Turkey. Scottie Wilbekin and Bobby Dixon were physically in Turkey for 3 years, before they got a passport.

Those are not examples of the same things as these Nigerian player cases. You have players being inside Turkey for 3 years of time, before they play a game with Turkey's national team. With Nigeria, you have players that are never in Nigeria, and yet are eligible to play, without being in the country at all.
Mirotic12
Analyst
Posts: 3,279
And1: 1,315
Joined: Jun 29, 2014

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#47 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:48 pm

TrueNorth31 wrote:I agree with Mojo, nothing particularly nefarious here in terms of Fiba eligibility rules other than some rather poor writing in the ESPN article. Here's some other comments.

- Nigeria has many expatriates living world wide ( my doctor is Nigerian ) so stuff like this is bound to happen. Dinwiddie at least has a Nigerian father, but did not obtain his passport before age 16. Morris appears to have no connection to Nigeria, so one is left to assume that he's playing for money like Andray Blatche for the Philippines.

- Bam Adebayo,Victor Oladipo and O.G. Anunoby all have Nigerian family connections.

- Canada basketball explicitly asks young recruits to bring a passport to Team Canada tryouts because of the 16 year old passport issue.

- Melvin Ejim actually tried out for the Nigerian team , was cut and then played for Canada.

- A main reason the 16 year old rule is in effect is ironically because of Greece and former Sacramento King Peja Stojakovic. Young Peja left war torn Belgrade as a 16 year old to play basketball in Greece. The Greeks fast tracked his citizenship at age 17 ( although he did learn Greek, married a Greek woman and even served in their army ), but at the time a Yugoslavian , Boris Stankovic was the powerful Fiba president. He was furious and felt the Greeks were trying to "steal players" ( I believe Spain also tried this tactic ) , so he pushed through the 16 year old passport rule.

- In terms of naturalizing players is this something Canada should pursue ? I honestly don't know ? Many countries take advantage of this loophole. Former National Team coach , Jack Donahue was fond of saying , " you don't win a war with mercenaries ", meaning Fiba Basketball is so intense you have to have a strong reason to persevere and play for a country.

If we did go this route the obvious target is Pascal Siakam. He's been in Canada ( 5 years ) probably long enough to qualify for citizenship on his own. If he didn't the government has the ability to fast track citizenship, they did this in 2012 for a Chinese ping pong player for Team Canada ( I'm not suggesting this for 2021 ). Naturally though , Pascal is a proud Cameroonian along with his buddy Joel Embiid, and I Imagine he rightly wants to represent the country he grew up in. Still the Cameroons can't quite seem to get it's act together as a federation ( Embiid has had ruminations about playing for France ) and struggles to qualify for anything outside of Africa.


It's true that FIBA blocked Peja from playing with Greece and set some rules supposedly from that. In fact they actually made Peja switch national teams, as he played with Greece in an under-18 tournament. Ironically, because of that, Peja campaigned the Greek federation to change their own rules in how players get citizenship, in allowing for a special exemption to be made if a player could demonstrate they would contribute to Greece.

That's how Giannis got his citizenship right at age 18. All the other BS in US media about that is nonsense. Giannis was eligible for Greek citizenship, as soon as he turned 18, under the law. But he had to wait until he was 18, because he didn't have any papers and was stateless as a child. But because he was born and raised in Greece, spoke Greek, and went to Greek schools, he was eligible as soon as he turned 18. The catch is, as I mentioned in the previous post, there is a 5 year waiting period. So Giannis should have had to wait until age 23 to finally get his passport. But the government made him an exception, under this rule that he could contribute to Greece, and that's how he bypassed the 5 year rule. Understand that they can only give I believe like 20 of these a year, or something like that, and the vast majority of them go to scientists, engineers, doctors, people like that. So it's very unlikely to be used on a basketball player, and probably almost a zero percent chance for it to be used on a basketball player that wasn't born and raised in Greece.

But that special athlete exemption was created because Peja petitioned the Greek system to do it, so Giannis could play for Greece. Peja said he did it because he always wanted to play for Greece, and he was never allowed to. It's because after the war situations, he considered Greece his home after that for the rest of his life. So he didn't want Giannis to end up lost in the rules like he was.

Actually, I seem to recall that this naturalized player rule controversy started with Rony Seikaly. Seikaly was eligible to get Greek citizenship, but he had to follow these same rules. He had to wait until age 18, and then once he could get it, he had to wait the 5 year period. But during that time, he moved from Greece, to the USA, to play NCAA ball.

When he was in college, they got him citizenship, because they granted him refugee status I believe, if I remember right in how it went. But technically, he wasn't a refugee. Because he was a refugee from Lebanon to Greece. Not from Greece to USA. Anyway, I believe he got the refugee status, and then they put him on Team USA. I can't remember which tournament it was, but he played with USA in one of the big tournaments in the 80s, like maybe the '86 world cup or the '88 Olympics. It was somewhere around that time.

That caused problems in FIBA, and there were all these rules being made, because Seikaly had been with Greece's national team program since he was like 17 or 18, or something like that. It was several years that he was training with the men's senior team. He had to wait to get his passport, so he couldn't play in a tournament. But he was allowed to train with the national team, and he was in all of their summer camps, and he even traveled with the team and practiced with the team at tournaments. So it was taken as the USA "stole" him from Greece's program, and even though technically, he couldn't play for Greece until he was 23, it was like USA took advantage of that.

Seikaly didn't do anything wrong, as he got US citizenship out of it. But if I remember right, he was under the impression that after he played at a tournament with the US, he could switch back to play with Greece, starting at age 23, because he was still living in Greece during all his off seasons. But all of a sudden, FIBA rules and red tape stepped in and said players couldn't do that. And such decisions were seen by many as being a way to block Greece from being able to have Seikaly play with them, after they had beaten Yugoslavia and the USSR in the 1987 EuroBasket. So I believe some of these rules actually traced all the way back to that Seikaly situation.
TrueNorth31
Junior
Posts: 404
And1: 282
Joined: Sep 04, 2018
     

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#48 » by TrueNorth31 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:13 am

Kabengele has gotten out of Clipper purgatory.

Read on Twitter


I'm not sure what will be his contract status will be ? He was destined to be a free agent at the end of the year-maybe Sacramento can extend him ? As I've said before I think he's okay, he just needs an opportunity. The Kings have some injuries so maybe he gets a shot. The Clippers wanted cap room to sign or trade for a veteran. This means maybe he's available in June.
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,015
And1: 1,389
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#49 » by mojo13 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:29 pm

Mirotic - you say much above that doesn't seem to jive with Tyler Dorsey getting Greek citizenship. Not even sure it jives with Nick Calathes (and others) who were born and raised in the USA. Surely Calathes didn't reside in Greece prior to playing for Greece in the 2008 u20s (he was still at Florida)? However, my understanding is the "proof before 16" rule is new in the last 5-7 years and guys like Calathes are grandfathered in so they are not considered naturalized, when today they would be.

Anyways it doesn't matter - no need to write a 1000 word response to that. But you may not understand FIBA's naturalization rules clearly and might want to do some research first.

More likely the problem you really have is with the ease or difficulty to get citizenship in particular countries rather than the rules FIBA has in place.

FIBA's rule is a player needs to show proof of citizenship before age 16 or you are considered naturalized. Period.
FIBA is not loose on this as seen with Jordan Clarkson. The Philippines tried everything to show that Clarkson had proof citizenship before age 16 and should be considered "natural born" and not naturalized, even taking FIBA to arbitration. FIBA rightfully called BS, said the documents were forged and won.

I don't really want to argue with you - I think the naturalization stuff is BS as well. It is very much abused by certain countries turning many American players into virtual international mercenaries. I get why FIBA allows it as it does help competitiveness allowing certain countries to fill gaping holes on their rosters.

Do I like that Turkey can just swap out American point guards on a whim? No....but it is within the rules and I am probably more bitter that Canada can't or won't take advantage of such a rule. Just accept than any country can have one player on their roster as a total mercenary no matter zero connection to the country (it is the country's decision of whether they want do this or not based on their citizenship requirements). Even the "pure" Lithuanians are making a presidential expectation to clear Ignas Brazdeikis to regain his citizenship.

But the FIBA rule is clear and I think FIBA applies it fairly. Or at least it seems that was to me and I see no shenanigans with Nigeria (yet). But only the Nigerian federation knows if they have been lying and forging citizenship docs for their players. I wouldn't put it past most non-western countries where fraud, corruption, bribery is the norm rather than the exception.
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,015
And1: 1,389
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#50 » by mojo13 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Lots of rumors coming out of Boston about TT. That he is going out partying allot...breaking COVID protocols often - perhaps on purpose to get himself traded. May have gotten Tatum Covid. Hopefully just trashy rumors and nothing more.

That aside, it has not worked out well for him in Boston and he is high on the list of Canadians most likely traded in the next couple days.

I've always been a little skeptical with TT and his role on Team Canada. Chemistry is the concern - not really his ability on the floor (but we are close to that too). I'm hoping for a time when we don't desperately need him on Team Canada - we are close, but I don't think we are quite there this summer due to the Free Agency of Birch and Olynyk (and Lyles).
TrueNorth31
Junior
Posts: 404
And1: 282
Joined: Sep 04, 2018
     

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#51 » by TrueNorth31 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:26 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Lots of rumors coming out of Boston about TT. That he is going out partying allot...breaking COVID protocols often - perhaps on purpose to get himself traded. May have gotten Tatum Covid. Hopefully just trashy rumors and nothing more.

That aside, it has not worked out well for him in Boston and he is high on the list of Canadians most likely traded in the next couple days.

I've always been a little skeptical with TT and his role on Team Canada. Chemistry is the concern - not really his ability on the floor (but we are close to that too). I'm hoping for a time when we don't desperately need him on Team Canada - we are close, but I don't think we are quite there this summer due to the Free Agency of Birch and Olynyk (and Lyles).


I'm not sure I agree with the notion that TT brings chemistry issues to Team Canada. In fact I've been told directly the opposite personally by a Team Canada assistant coach who absolutely raved about his leadership abilities and the relationship he fostered with his teammates during his time with the team.

In terms of all this drama with the Celtics I tend to discount this as general nonsense. Just look at the issues around the Raptors recently , who like the Celtics have underachieved. As well the writer in question, Kevin O'Connor is the world's second biggest Celtic fan, the first being his boss Bill Simmons. Stories like this are meant to provide cover for Celtic management about a situation they engineered that has gone badly. Thompson's teammates have vehemently disagreed with this article, as well Thomson has always been generally seen as a good locker room guy in his time with Cleveland.

In terms of can he help Canada I'm not so sure. His inability to shoot really clogs up the floor . He does however , bring a certain degree of physicality and rebounding to the floor which we may need against other teams bigs. Frankly I think folks can get too caught up in the echo chamber of all the Kardashian soap opera crap that seems to follow TT around which seems to make him come out as some evil cheating athlete meme.
Kenter16
Sophomore
Posts: 201
And1: 37
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#52 » by Kenter16 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:09 pm

Read on Twitter



Good to hear
Kenter16
Sophomore
Posts: 201
And1: 37
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#53 » by Kenter16 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:01 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19


Faaaaaacccckkk
Plantar fasciitis injuries can range from 2 weeks to 2 months. Hopefully this isn't the latter.
There is 7 weeks left in the NBA season. He will need to play a few games in the season or OKC will likely keep him out of the qualifiers. Not sure that happens, as OKC is looking to improve their draft position. So they may just sit him for the season.
This is brutal news.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
aminiaturebuddha
Veteran
Posts: 2,796
And1: 2,627
Joined: Aug 07, 2006

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#54 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:29 am

TrueNorth31 wrote:Kabengele has gotten out of Clipper purgatory.

Read on Twitter


I'm not sure what will be his contract status will be ? He was destined to be a free agent at the end of the year-maybe Sacramento can extend him ? As I've said before I think he's okay, he just needs an opportunity. The Kings have some injuries so maybe he gets a shot. The Clippers wanted cap room to sign or trade for a veteran. This means maybe he's available in June.


I'm glad he's gone from the Clippers, but Sacramento isn't exactly a great development franchise. Also, with Holmes and Whiteside on the roster, I'm not even sure how many minutes he'll get.
frumble
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,386
And1: 661
Joined: Aug 23, 2012

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#55 » by frumble » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:01 am

kwajo wrote:Felt this was relevant, and as a Maritimer I wanted to show my pride:

Read on Twitter



Darling with his first points (a three) and assist tonight.
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,015
And1: 1,389
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#56 » by mojo13 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:49 am

Cory Joseph traded to the Pistons. What’s your read on this?

To me. This looks like a cap clearing move by the Pistons making CoJo likely waived by 6/30/21 which is his guaranteed date. He has a partial guarantee of 2.4MM and a full year at 12MM-ish. He’d be the 4th PG on the Pistons and the oldest. I’d be surprised if they planned to keep him.

This was likely going to happen if he stayed in Sac anyways, but it doesn’t look good for him in Victoria. I supposed there is a chance he could play as a FA, but it’s doubtful. The timing of his guaranteed date doesn’t help either.





Really sucks about SGA. Let’s hope for a speedy recovery.
User avatar
BilboBanginz
Senior
Posts: 732
And1: 602
Joined: Jul 29, 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#57 » by BilboBanginz » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:18 pm

I still think CoJo can help a team. Maybe not a contender but one of these middle-of-the-pack East teams could use him.
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,015
And1: 1,389
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#58 » by mojo13 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:57 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:I still think CoJo can help a team. Maybe not a contender but one of these middle-of-the-pack East teams could use him.


I think so too, but he is overpaid by a factor of 2-3x at 12MM. His next contract could be his last and that puts pressure on him not to play for Canada.

He is invested heavily in Team Canada so there is a chance that overcomes his likely free agency.
Kenter16
Sophomore
Posts: 201
And1: 37
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#59 » by Kenter16 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:23 pm

mojo13 wrote:Cory Joseph traded to the Pistons. What’s your read on this?

To me. This looks like a cap clearing move by the Pistons making CoJo likely waived by 6/30/21 which is his guaranteed date. He has a partial guarantee of 2.4MM and a full year at 12MM-ish. He’d be the 4th PG on the Pistons and the oldest. I’d be surprised if they planned to keep him.

This was likely going to happen if he stayed in Sac anyways, but it doesn’t look good for him in Victoria. I supposed there is a chance he could play as a FA, but it’s doubtful. The timing of his guaranteed date doesn’t help either.





Really sucks about SGA. Let’s hope for a speedy recovery.


I think he will get a lot of playing time in Detroit, at least for the rest of the season. I have a feeling that he starts and plays quite a bit. He is with his old coach and Detroit doesn't really have a PG, unless they give the starts to Dennis Smith JR. CoJo is listed as the backup PG on ESPN's depth chart. I don't think that's too far off.

Glass half full look... He gets back together with Casey and shows the Pistons he has value. He is a great leader and is very valuable. Maybe not 12M, but the Pistons have nothing going on. Are they really going to be big players in the free agent market this year? They have a lot of holes and are not a free agent or two away from contenders. So, maybe they keep him around for next season to be a leader to the young guys they have. He is going to get a chance the rest of this season, maybe he turns it into a guarantee for next year.

Not saying that's likely, but I have a gut feeling that the Pistons situation is better for us the Sacramento's was. I may be wrong, but I think it the probability goes up to 20% that he is available.
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,015
And1: 1,389
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#60 » by mojo13 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:35 pm

I hope you are right about CoJo - if they exercise the team option that would be great for his avaialbity.
They'd need to give him a heads up ahead of time as the deadline is not until 6/30.


Round-up of all the trades today:

Mfiondu Kabengele: LAC to SAC
Cory Joseph: SAC to DET
Iggy Brazdeikis: NYK to PHI
Kelly Olynyk: MIA to HOU

** Trey Lyles reported by Shams to DAL, but then deleted. No other confirmations of that trade.

Olynyk now on a team certain to miss the playoffs but will be a UFA. Will either he or a UFA CoJo look past it and join Team Canada anyways? Unlikely?

Ignas Brazdeikis has declared his intent to play for Lithuania so he is a non-issue. Mfiondu Kabengele is an unknown, never having been part of Team Canada. Not sure how much he moves the needle but at least he will not be part of the playoffs. Lyles will still be a UFA no matter what happens with that reported trade.

Return to Toronto Raptors