ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 401

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#661 » by DoctaJ » Mon Jul 5, 2021 10:51 pm

Calinks wrote:Don't sleep on Czech Republic, that is clearly a well-oiled team. Basketball is a team sport and even great talent can be overcome if a team is playing at maximum cohesion. Canada shot horribly for much of that game and they still fought back and were in it. CR just destroyed Brazil in a blowout that wasn't even a question. That's a good squad, if the Canada team had more time to practice and play together it would probably have been a different story.

You meant Greece, right?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,292

Post#662 » by Calinks » Tue Jul 6, 2021 12:01 am

Yea my bad. Greece.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#663 » by frumble » Tue Jul 6, 2021 12:38 am

ItsDanger wrote:Problem with the World Cup there are only 2 Americas qualified for Olympics. US is going to be one of them and that leaves one spot. If I'm the players, I would try here to avoid theses qualifiers. Then the commitment time at the Olympics is much shorter. Block off about 3 weeks for the next worlds, thats not too much to ask. Its not like Brazil & Argentina are powerhouses anymore. With close to a full lineup, Canada should beat them. I think for the players, the location and the time commitment are two factors that make them avoid it.

I think our chances of being the 2nd best team from the Americas at the Worlds (finishing ahead of Brazil, Argentina, etc.) should be at least as high as our chances of winning these 6-team tournaments that typically involve a couple European powers.

Moreover, I would at least like to have two legit kicks at the can. That is, a more competitive roster for the Worlds so we at least have a fighting chance at one of those top 2 spots. Like you and others have said, would be so much easier if we were automatic qualifiers and didn't have to ask the players to give up so much time.

Speaking of the Worlds, if the qualifcation timeline for World Cup 23 is going to be the same as it was for World Cup 19, then the first qualifaction window would be this November, but I don't believe anything has been announced (groups, schedules, etc.).

With the Olympics having been pushed back, perhaps there has been a ripple effect and Worlds qualifying will be delayed and/or the whole qualifaction process will be changed?
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#664 » by mojo13 » Tue Jul 6, 2021 4:19 pm

frumble wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Problem with the World Cup there are only 2 Americas qualified for Olympics. US is going to be one of them and that leaves one spot. If I'm the players, I would try here to avoid theses qualifiers. Then the commitment time at the Olympics is much shorter. Block off about 3 weeks for the next worlds, thats not too much to ask. Its not like Brazil & Argentina are powerhouses anymore. With close to a full lineup, Canada should beat them. I think for the players, the location and the time commitment are two factors that make them avoid it.

I think our chances of being the 2nd best team from the Americas at the Worlds (finishing ahead of Brazil, Argentina, etc.) should be at least as high as our chances of winning these 6-team tournaments that typically involve a couple European powers.

Moreover, I would at least like to have two legit kicks at the can. That is, a more competitive roster for the Worlds so we at least have a fighting chance at one of those top 2 spots. Like you and others have said, would be so much easier if we were automatic qualifiers and didn't have to ask the players to give up so much time.

Speaking of the Worlds, if the qualifcation timeline for World Cup 23 is going to be the same as it was for World Cup 19, then the first qualifaction window would be this November, but I don't believe anything has been announced (groups, schedules, etc.).

With the Olympics having been pushed back, perhaps there has been a ripple effect and Worlds qualifying will be delayed and/or the whole qualifaction process will be changed?

Yeah this will be interesting to watch.

The original (and seemingly still current) timeline was supposed to be as follows:

FIBA Americup - this summer. With the results determining who goes into the WC Qualification process
The WC Qualifiers - Window 1 was set to begins November 2021, goes through all of 2022 and ends Feb 2023.

FIBA has not yet updated this process - see here:
http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2023/how-to-qualify

But you can throw this out the door as the FIBA Americup is not until next summer, so we wont even know who qualify for the WC Qualifiers until then.

In fact there are FIBA Americas Pre-Qualifiers starting next week for the minnows to qualify a couple into the FIBA Americup.

At best the WC Qualifier can't start until November-ish 2022 thus losing a whole year on their planned calendar. But there are a few things I can see them doing to adjust the schedule and reduce the calendar.

First recall for the 2019 WC that 7 Americas teams qualified from 16 participants. And we had two rounds of pool play. 8 pools of 4 that took the top three in each pool for a 2nd round of 2 pools of 6 teams.

That can easily be cut it down to 1 round in a number of ways. Or collapse the schedule into a couple mini tournaments where the entire pool gets together to bang out their games across 4-5 days.
steadysoul
Freshman
And1: 22

Post#665 » by steadysoul » Tue Jul 6, 2021 4:28 pm

mojo13 wrote:

The original (and seemingly still current) timeline was supposed to be as follows:

FIBA Americup - this summer. With the results determining who goes into the WC Qualification process
The WC Qualifiers - Window 1 was set to begins November 2021, goes through all of 2022 and ends Feb 2023.

But you can throw this out the door as the FIBA Americup is not until next summer, so we wont even know who qualify for the WC Qualifiers until then.

In fact there are FIBA Americas Pre-Qualifiers starting next week for the minnows to qualify a couple into the FIBA Americup.

As long as no one pulls out of the Americup, all those teams will qualify. Only two slots are open (Bahamas and Cuba also qualified) and they'll be settled by the end of July.
DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 401

Post#666 » by DoctaJ » Tue Jul 6, 2021 5:15 pm

Calinks wrote:Yea my bad. Greece.

Ok cool. For a second I thought maybe I might have missed something, haha.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#667 » by mojo13 » Tue Jul 6, 2021 5:56 pm

steadysoul wrote:
mojo13 wrote:

As long as no one pulls out of the Americup, all those teams will qualify. Only two slots are open (Bahamas and Cuba also qualified) and they'll be settled by the end of July.

Yes sorry I should clarify. The FIBA AmeriCup field is set (12 teams) with all teams making the FIBA Americas Worlds Cup Qualifiers.

The Pre-Qualifiers I mentioned going on right now are for 4 additional teams to win entry into the FIBA Americas Word Cup Qualifiers. This is being played out among the teams that didn't qualify for the FIBA Americup.
So this crowd:
Bahamas
Cuba
Chile
Paraguay
Costa Rica
Guyana
Jamaica
Nicaragua
El Salvador
Bolivia
Ecuador
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#668 » by BilboBanginz » Tue Jul 6, 2021 10:14 pm

I thought someone reported that Carr was keeping his name in the draft but I guess not.

Read on Twitter
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#669 » by BilboBanginz » Tue Jul 6, 2021 10:15 pm

Also, don''t think this was posted here yet. I definitely thought he was going back to Nebraska. If he can learn how to shoot he'll be interesting.

Read on Twitter
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#670 » by frumble » Wed Jul 7, 2021 12:10 am

mojo13 wrote:

At best the WC Qualifier can't start until November-ish 2022 thus losing a whole year on their planned calendar. But there are a few things I can see them doing to adjust the schedule and reduce the calendar.

First recall for the 2019 WC that 7 Americas teams qualified from 16 participants. And we had two rounds of pool play. 8 pools of 4 that took the top three in each pool for a 2nd round of 2 pools of 6 teams.

That can easily be cut it down to 1 round in a number of ways. Or collapse the schedule into a couple mini tournaments where the entire pool gets together to bang out their games across 4-5 days.

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, maybe they will have to go back to a single-tournament (or two-tournament) qualifaction process, instead of the drawn out process they used for 2019.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#671 » by mojo13 » Wed Jul 7, 2021 2:48 pm

With the draft sorry for not keeping on top of it here.
Today is the deadline to stay in or remove yourself.

Carr, Guerrier and Mathurin (clearly) have pulled out.

Duarte, Banton, Primo, Lawson, Omoruyi, Jahvon Blair, Shamiel Stevenson are in.

Fardaws Aimaq is deciding today (he has being getting allot of hype recently from his NBA workouts and could easily stay in and get drafted).

I think Primo is clearly in the 1st round now along with Duarte.

Lawson, Banton and maybe Aimaq have a decent shot at the second round. Or a good shat at a 2-way.
TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Post#672 » by TrueNorth31 » Wed Jul 7, 2021 10:15 pm

mojo13 wrote:
frumble wrote:

Um fellas it's been a tough week if you are a Team Canada basketball fan , but unless I'm missing something like a sudden shift in the time /warp continuum ( although it does feel like that some time with this damn Covid ) saddle up because yes, the 2023 World Cup does indeed start with the first window scheduled for November of 2021.

The Americup has indeed been postponed until August ot 2022, but this is basically a stand alone event ( think of it as Fiba's attempt to mimic the current Euro soccer championship ) that can begin after the qualifiers.

Here's the Fiba calendar.

https://www.fiba.basketball/calendar

Carlan Gay discusses it today;

Up next for Canada is preparing for the next Olympic cycle which begins in November. Yes, you read that right - November. Canada will begin their qualification process for the 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup. Seven teams from the Americas region will make it to the World Cup. From there, two from the Americas region guarantee a spot at the 2024 Olympics in Paris, France.

https://ca.nba.com/news/what-next-after-team-canada-fails-to-make-the-tokyo-olympic-games/3uden9rzf0av160z05euyt7mt

Perhaps were suffering from Hoops over exposure if that's indeed possible.
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#673 » by Kenter16 » Thu Jul 8, 2021 2:35 pm

Um fellas it's been a tough week if you are a Team Canada basketball fan , but unless I'm missing something like a sudden shift in the time /warp continuum ( although it does feel like that some time with this damn Covid ) saddle up because yes, the 2023 World Cup does indeed start with the first window scheduled for November of 2021.

The Americup has indeed been postponed until August ot 2022, but this is basically a stand alone event ( think of it as Fiba's attempt to mimic the current Euro soccer championship ) that can begin after the qualifiers.

Here's the Fiba calendar.

https://www.fiba.basketball/calendar

Carlan Gay discusses it today;

Up next for Canada is preparing for the next Olympic cycle which begins in November. Yes, you read that right - November. Canada will begin their qualification process for the 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup. Seven teams from the Americas region will make it to the World Cup. From there, two from the Americas region guarantee a spot at the 2024 Olympics in Paris, France.

https://ca.nba.com/news/what-next-after-team-canada-fails-to-make-the-tokyo-olympic-games/3uden9rzf0av160z05euyt7mt

Perhaps were suffering from Hoops over exposure if that's indeed possible.

Next summer will be fairly busy. In 2018 we had World cup qualifiers in July and September. They will likely need to double July's window or make an extra window, which may be hard to do. Either way, we will have 4 qualification games next summer as well as the Americup. If we can get a solid turnout to these, we can start to build chemistry.

FIBA has a lot to figure out for that year. They still don't have a host for the Americup and it's 13 months away. I have seen some rumblings that Canada should host it. I would welcome that, it would be awesome. There is some merit to FIBA wanting us to, but not sure Canada Basketball has the resources to hold 2 tournaments in back to back years. The last Americup was in Argentina, Columbia and Uruguay. The previous was in Mexico. If there is any rotational logic, Canada would be a strong candidate.

Obviously, if Canada wants to build up the program and get some continuity hosting would be a great way to do it. We can put Canada's pool games in Toronto where a lot of these guys spend their off seasons. Harder to say no if its in the same city as you are in. If Canada Basketball had unlimited resources it should definitely host. Does Scott Lake have any interest in putting up more funds to do this? Can we get any other private partnerships involved? What about Sportsnet? Who owns the tv rights for Americup 2022, DAZN? Theoretically, if Sportsnet were to pony up for the TV rights they would want an all NBA team. Maybe their parent company, Rogers, jumps on board as a major sponsor. This is all wishful thinking, but at this point it all remains a possibility.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#674 » by Hair Canada » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:57 am

Nigeria stuns a loaded US today, 90:87 in a scrimmage. Last time the two teams met, in the 2012 London Olympics, the US won by 83...

And the Canadian connection? Canadian Caleb Agada, whom I've been praising all season, with 17 points on excellent shooting, adding a couple of assists from the Nigerian bench. Really too bad he's not in our system anymore.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
mojo13
Veteran

Post#675 » by mojo13 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:15 pm

Some Euro based SMNT player news over the last few days:

Melvin Ejim moves from Buducnost to Cedevita Olimpija both in the ABA (and EuroCup). Looks like a fairly lateral move.

Thomas Scrubb leaves the French Pro-A with JL Bourg (EuroCup) to join Obradorio of the Spanish ACB. Seems a lateral move as he moves up in domestic league quality with the ACB. But Obradoiro is not a very succesasful ACB team and now he is out of the EuroCup competition. Don't think Obradoiro is in any intra-European league - so it could even be a move down.

Connor Morgan moves from Joventut (EuroCup) to Andorra both in the ACB (and EuroCup) - that seems fairly lateral as well.

T Scrubb and Morgan are both playing on European passports and bypass some of the quota rules - making it is easier for them to find jobs.

Isiaha Mike (BBL) and Kaza Kajami Keane (Pro-A) re-signed with their clubs a couple week back.

I think there are a few guys to watch as the primary candidates to make big moves up this season.
We have already seen it with Pangos moving to one of the best teams in Europe with CSKA and Shayok landing with a Euroleague club for the first time.

But I think Trae Bell Haynes should move up to a much better club/league - hopefully BCL/EuroCup level. Hoping Kassius Robertson does the same as well (played well for Obradorio in the ACB, but I'd like to see him move to a better club).

Caleb Agada could push for a EuroLeague role if nothing connects stateside this summer.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#676 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:09 pm

mojo13 wrote:Some Euro based SMNT player news over the last few days:

Melvin Ejim moves from Buducnost to Cedevita Olimpija both in the ABA (and EuroCup). Looks like a fairly lateral move.

Thomas Scrubb leaves the French Pro-A with JL Bourg (EuroCup) to join Obradorio of the Spanish ACB. Seems a lateral move as he moves up in domestic league quality with the ACB. But Obradoiro is not a very succesasful ACB team and now he is out of the EuroCup competition. Don't think Obradoiro is in any intra-European league - so it could even be a move down.

Connor Morgan moves from Joventut (EuroCup) to Andorra both in the ACB (and EuroCup) - that seems fairly lateral as well.

T Scrubb and Morgan are both playing on European passports and bypass some of the quota rules - making it is easier for them to find jobs.

Isiaha Mike (BBL) and Kaza Kajami Keane (Pro-A) re-signed with their clubs a couple week back.

I think there are a few guys to watch as the primary candidates to make big moves up this season.
We have already seen it with Pangos moving to one of the best teams in Europe with CSKA and Shayok landing with a Euroleague club for the first time.

But I think Trae Bell Haynes should move up to a much better club/league - hopefully BCL/EuroCup level. Hoping Kassius Robertson does the same as well (played well for Obradorio in the ACB, but I'd like to see him move to a better club).

Caleb Agada could push for a EuroLeague role if nothing connects stateside this summer.

Lateral in league levels, but not in money. Ejim's new club has a much larger budget.
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#677 » by TheFutureMM » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:48 pm

Great update. What's our EuroLeague list at now?

Kevin Pangos
Marial Shayok
Dyshawn Pierre

I miss anyone?
mojo13
Veteran

Post#678 » by mojo13 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:01 pm

TheFutureMM wrote:

Great update. What's our EuroLeague list at now?

Kevin Pangos
Marial Shayok
Dyshawn Pierre

I miss anyone?

Nope that's it.

Couple more signings of note today.

Kyle Wiltjer moves from the Turkish BSL to the Spanish ACB. Both Turk Telecom and Tenerife are also playing in the FIBA Champions League (BCL). One of the better players (or at least scorers) in Turkey last season averaging 18.5 PPG, 5.6 RPG in the BSL, and 15.2 PPG, 5.3 RPG in the BCL. Lateral move in my opinion, although Tenerife has been pretty good the last couple years in the ACB.

Dylan Ennis moves to Gran Canaria after a couple excellent years at Zaragoza. Although he remains in Spain's ACB he moves from BCL to EuroCup competition. Ennis is one of the better players in the ACB - 15.7 points (4th in league), 3.2 rebounds, 1.5stls (5th in league) and 15.5 PIR last season. Lateral move as well. Maybe a bit of a step up if you consider the EuroCup a little better than the BCL (debatable).
mojo13
Veteran

Post#679 » by mojo13 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:25 pm

Trae Bell-Haynes signs with Breogan of Spain’s ACB. Breogan won the 2nd (LEB Gold) division this past season and moved up. TBH will have a heavy responsibility trying to keep them in the top division. He’ll join plenty of other Canadians in the ACB this season.

This is the first big signing for Breogan. Trae Bell-Haynes will be their centrepoint and they will build around him. Former NBA 1st rounder Dzanan Musa in talks as their next signing.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#680 » by mojo13 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:34 pm

And for any not paying attention Shaedon Sharpe is really showing out on the Nike EYBL circuit.
Lots of talk of him continuing to rise in the rankings and even challenging for top in the class. I don't know about that, but I think he can push into Top 5 territory after EYBL is done (#8 with 24/7 and 11 with Rivals right now).

Seems the Rivals crystal ball predictions have him going to Kentucky.

It has been crazy to watch his meteoric rise over the last year. I posted earlier, but cant recall exactly right now, but in January I'm not sure he was Top 50 (maybe in the 40s). A year ago he might not have been Top 75.

It buffers what I think will be a steady slow decline in the rankings for Elijah Fisher. Rivals just bumped him down (post WC) 3 spots from 4 to 7 in their 2023 ranking (Still #4 in 24/7 but is hasnt been updated since the WC). I think that continues and I won't be surprised if he is not in the Top 20 for 2023 when all is said and done. At the very least he needs to stop being hidden by his handlers.

Return to Toronto Raptors