ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0

Moderators: Alfred, 7 Footer, Reeko, lebron stopper, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, gojoorange

Hair Canada
Rookie
Posts: 1,026
And1: 984
Joined: Nov 02, 2017

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#761 » by Hair Canada » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:51 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20





Looks like it will be very similar to the last go round. Could easily be the same pool.

We will have either:
PR or DR
MEX or USVI
BAH or CUB

Not sure how much it matters, but I'd prefer PR, USVI and CUB I suppose.

More important will be to see what South American pool we will combine into - and I am not sure that will matter too much either.

Worst case 2nd round scenario would be something like:
CAN
ARG
DR
VEN
MEX
and a trash team.

Would need to be top three or the better 4th place team to Qualify for the Worlds.
The Schedule matters as well as it would be nice to have tougher games in the Summer when the NBA players are available.


So we ended up with pretty much the worst-case scenario. The DR in the first round (together with ISV and Bahamas) and then Argentina and Venezuela in the second round. We should still be able to make it but no doubt the other side of the draw looks easier.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
frumble
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,424
And1: 672
Joined: Aug 23, 2012

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#762 » by frumble » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:23 pm

Here is our schedule for the first three windows:
Bahamas Nov 26
Bahamas Nov 29
Dominican Feb 24
Virgin Islands Feb 27
Dominican July 1
Virgin Islands July 4
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,191
And1: 1,489
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#763 » by mojo13 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:44 pm

frumble wrote:Here is our schedule for the first three windows:
Bahamas Nov 26
Bahamas Nov 29
Dominican Feb 24
Virgin Islands Feb 27
Dominican July 1
Virgin Islands July 4




It is a nice schedule.
Warm ups vs Bahamas.

Dominican Republic and USVI at home in February.

At DR and USVI in July when the NBA players are available. Only way that schedule could be better is if the DR was a home/away in July.
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,191
And1: 1,489
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#764 » by mojo13 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:52 pm

Hair Canada wrote:
So we ended up with pretty much the worst-case scenario. The DR in the first round (together with ISV and Bahamas) and then Argentina and Venezuela in the second round. We should still be able to make it but no doubt the other side of the draw looks easier.



It is still not that bad. Basically we swap ARG in for BRA and it is the same as 2019 were we topped the pool at 10-2.

We went 2-0 vs BRA where we can easily go 0-2 versus Argentina. But we just need some splits over DR and VEN and we should be fine and not mess up against the minnows. We have a good shot at going 2-0 versus DR this time around as we should handle them with the NBA guys on the road (NBA vs USVI on the road as well), and have a very good shot at DR at home without our NBA guys. We will also very likely catch either ARG or VEN in August 2022 with our NBA guys.

Hopefully that gets us to an easy 8-4 record at worst. With a very good shot at a better record.
DR qualified with a 7-5 record as the best 4th place team in 2019.
Kenter16
Junior
Posts: 315
And1: 77
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#765 » by Kenter16 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 9:19 pm

Nick Nurse was on the Bob McCown Podcast today. Had a couple interesting things to say.

There was a dinner/get together held in Vegas during summer league. 15 players were invited. These guys are who Basketball Canada wanted to make 'the core' from. 11 players showed up. Nick alluded to one more being bought into the program that wasn't there, but it wasn't clear. In his words, 'of the 11 there, I'd expect that +/- 1 of them will make up our core'. Not sure if that means he expects 10 or 12. Somewhere between 10 and 12, I guess. Of the players there he said there were passionate speeches and that it means the world to them. He mentioned that they are committed to playing for Canada every summer over the next 3 years.

So, since I can't help my self, I dug into who showed up to summer league that wasn't playing. Didn't find a large number of the guys notably attending games, with the exception of Lu Dort and Shai. Andrew Wiggins was reportedly working out with the GS summer league team. I believe that both RJ and NAW made appearances as well, but that's just going off of memory.

Does anybody else know of anybody that was in Vegas for summer league? My assumption is that the others include KO, Dwight Powell, Khem Birch and Cory Joseph. Really would like to find out somehow if Jamal Murray was there, doesn't look like it through internet sleuthing.
Kenter16
Junior
Posts: 315
And1: 77
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#766 » by Kenter16 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 9:40 pm

I guess it is also worth mentioning that Dalano Banton was at summer league with the Raptors. He also made the comment in an interview, postgame I believe, that he would love to play for Team Canada. Was he invited?
Hair Canada
Rookie
Posts: 1,026
And1: 984
Joined: Nov 02, 2017

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#767 » by Hair Canada » Tue Sep 7, 2021 10:16 pm

Kenter16 wrote:Nick Nurse was on the Bob McCown Podcast today. Had a couple interesting things to say.

There was a dinner/get together held in Vegas during summer league. 15 players were invited. These guys are who Basketball Canada wanted to make 'the core' from. 11 players showed up. Nick alluded to one more being bought into the program that wasn't there, but it wasn't clear. In his words, 'of the 11 there, I'd expect that +/- 1 of them will make up our core'. Not sure if that means he expects 10 or 12. Somewhere between 10 and 12, I guess. Of the players there he said there were passionate speeches and that it means the world to them. He mentioned that they are committed to playing for Canada every summer over the next 3 years.

So, since I can't help my self, I dug into who showed up to summer league that wasn't playing. Didn't find a large number of the guys notably attending games, with the exception of Lu Dort and Shai. Andrew Wiggins was reportedly working out with the GS summer league team. I believe that both RJ and NAW made appearances as well, but that's just going off of memory.

Does anybody else know of anybody that was in Vegas for summer league? My assumption is that the others include KO, Dwight Powell, Khem Birch and Cory Joseph. Really would like to find out somehow if Jamal Murray was there, doesn't look like it through internet sleuthing.


Really interesting stuff. Really hope Murray and Brooks were also part of this group. And hope Banton was not (he's not a very good player right now). Boucher and Clarke seem to always be questionable, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were also not there. Hopefully, Brisset was.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
Kenter16
Junior
Posts: 315
And1: 77
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#768 » by Kenter16 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 10:33 pm

Hair Canada wrote:
Kenter16 wrote:Nick Nurse was on the Bob McCown Podcast today. Had a couple interesting things to say.

There was a dinner/get together held in Vegas during summer league. 15 players were invited. These guys are who Basketball Canada wanted to make 'the core' from. 11 players showed up. Nick alluded to one more being bought into the program that wasn't there, but it wasn't clear. In his words, 'of the 11 there, I'd expect that +/- 1 of them will make up our core'. Not sure if that means he expects 10 or 12. Somewhere between 10 and 12, I guess. Of the players there he said there were passionate speeches and that it means the world to them. He mentioned that they are committed to playing for Canada every summer over the next 3 years.

So, since I can't help my self, I dug into who showed up to summer league that wasn't playing. Didn't find a large number of the guys notably attending games, with the exception of Lu Dort and Shai. Andrew Wiggins was reportedly working out with the GS summer league team. I believe that both RJ and NAW made appearances as well, but that's just going off of memory.

Does anybody else know of anybody that was in Vegas for summer league? My assumption is that the others include KO, Dwight Powell, Khem Birch and Cory Joseph. Really would like to find out somehow if Jamal Murray was there, doesn't look like it through internet sleuthing.


Really interesting stuff. Really hope Murray and Brooks were also part of this group. And hope Banton was not (he's not a very good player right now). Boucher and Clarke seem to always be questionable, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were also not there. Hopefully, Brisset was.

Funny you mention Brooks, I was just about to share this. A little more sleuthing has uncovered that Dillion Brooks was in Vegas for summer league. The cast on his hand/wrist may have had something to do with his absence in Victoria.


Read on Twitter
?s=21
Kenter16
Junior
Posts: 315
And1: 77
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#769 » by Kenter16 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 10:39 pm

Chris Boucher was in Vegas as well.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,191
And1: 1,489
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#770 » by mojo13 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 10:42 pm

Kenter16 wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:
Kenter16 wrote:Nick Nurse was on the Bob McCown Podcast today. Had a couple interesting things to say.

There was a dinner/get together held in Vegas during summer league. 15 players were invited. These guys are who Basketball Canada wanted to make 'the core' from. 11 players showed up. Nick alluded to one more being bought into the program that wasn't there, but it wasn't clear. In his words, 'of the 11 there, I'd expect that +/- 1 of them will make up our core'. Not sure if that means he expects 10 or 12. Somewhere between 10 and 12, I guess. Of the players there he said there were passionate speeches and that it means the world to them. He mentioned that they are committed to playing for Canada every summer over the next 3 years.

So, since I can't help my self, I dug into who showed up to summer league that wasn't playing. Didn't find a large number of the guys notably attending games, with the exception of Lu Dort and Shai. Andrew Wiggins was reportedly working out with the GS summer league team. I believe that both RJ and NAW made appearances as well, but that's just going off of memory.

Does anybody else know of anybody that was in Vegas for summer league? My assumption is that the others include KO, Dwight Powell, Khem Birch and Cory Joseph. Really would like to find out somehow if Jamal Murray was there, doesn't look like it through internet sleuthing.


Really interesting stuff. Really hope Murray and Brooks were also part of this group. And hope Banton was not (he's not a very good player right now). Boucher and Clarke seem to always be questionable, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were also not there. Hopefully, Brisset was.

Funny you mention Brooks, I was just about to share this. A little more sleuthing has uncovered that Dillion Brooks was in Vegas for summer league. The cast on his hand/wrist may have had something to do with his absence in Victoria.


Read on Twitter
?s=21


I was under the impression that injury was from workouts post the Qualifier and not something he had before and kept him out. I could be mistaken though.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

But I found this Tweet which implies it could have been a lingering issue.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,191
And1: 1,489
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#771 » by mojo13 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 11:21 pm

Kenter16 wrote:Nick Nurse was on the Bob McCown Podcast today. Had a couple interesting things to say.

There was a dinner/get together held in Vegas during summer league. 15 players were invited. These guys are who Basketball Canada wanted to make 'the core' from. 11 players showed up. Nick alluded to one more being bought into the program that wasn't there, but it wasn't clear. In his words, 'of the 11 there, I'd expect that +/- 1 of them will make up our core'. Not sure if that means he expects 10 or 12. Somewhere between 10 and 12, I guess. Of the players there he said there were passionate speeches and that it means the world to them. He mentioned that they are committed to playing for Canada every summer over the next 3 years.

So, since I can't help my self, I dug into who showed up to summer league that wasn't playing. Didn't find a large number of the guys notably attending games, with the exception of Lu Dort and Shai. Andrew Wiggins was reportedly working out with the GS summer league team. I believe that both RJ and NAW made appearances as well, but that's just going off of memory.

Does anybody else know of anybody that was in Vegas for summer league? My assumption is that the others include KO, Dwight Powell, Khem Birch and Cory Joseph. Really would like to find out somehow if Jamal Murray was there, doesn't look like it through internet sleuthing.



I just listened and didn't come away overly positive about it. No commitment was given just asked for. The guys were asked to go back and think about it and respond at a later date. A couple quotes attributed to players that I really didn't like:
"what are you going to do if none of us commit to play?"
"Hey coach, I am 100% in, but what if no one else plays?"

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but that tells me there are plenty of fence sitters waiting to see which way the wind blows seemingly like every summer. If a couple key players bail, then it creates a snowball effect. I'd like to see more passion out of guys - players saying I'm in no matter what and a don't care who else is playing. I'm still pretty skeptical they can even get same 5-7 NBA guys playing each of the next three summers let alone 11 or 12 +/- one.
How do you even hold they guys accountable if they "commit" to play. Plenty of these guys said publicly many times over the course of two seasons that they were playing in the Qualifier in Victoria. I think Birch and Brooks said they were 100% in no matter what. What is accepting an invite to training camp but a commitment to play? (Olynyk, Birch, TT, Brooks, Clarke, Alexander, Ejim etc).


It also still really bothers me to hear Nurse admit they had terrible prep period for Team Canada leading into the Olympic Qualifier. Nurse admits it was bad, that they we poorly prepared but "learned allot" from it. That's a really bad look and fully on Nick Nurse and Rowan Barrett's shoulders. Plenty people this forum recognized the inadequate prep schedule right from the start.
Kenter16
Junior
Posts: 315
And1: 77
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#772 » by Kenter16 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 11:45 pm

mojo13 wrote:I just listened and didn't come away overly positive about it. No commitment was given just asked for. The guys were asked to go back and think about it and respond at a later date. A couple quotes attributed to players that I really didn't like:
"what are you going to do if none of us commit to play?"
"Hey coach, I am 100% in, but what if no one else plays?"


I saw it the other way. He made it seem like everyone wanted to commit then and there, but he told them to go home and make sure. He said that it would be easy for guys to commit in the moment but wanted them to talk to their families and whoever. He said after this he would be shocked if he didn't get commitments from +/- 1 of the 11. My impression was that those that were there were all in. We may not know anything until the roster is announced for the Americup or in a best case scenario these guys hit twitter/insta and announce their intentions, but they shouldn't do that until next May/June.

The quotes you noted there were from the same player, same quote. He just repeated it as Bob asked him if it was a threat to 'just use the U19 team and they can hang medals around their necks for the next 12 years'.
Kenter16
Junior
Posts: 315
And1: 77
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#773 » by Kenter16 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 11:49 pm

One more thing to note on this whole Vegas meeting, Nurse committed AFTER this. That's important. If there wasn't buy in from the guys in the room and Nick didn't feel confident, he wouldn't have committed for one more cycle.
Kenter16
Junior
Posts: 315
And1: 77
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#774 » by Kenter16 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:52 am

After some more digging here's who I found was in Vegas around the 8-10th of August.

Confirmed on social media:
SGA
NAW
Lu Dort
Wiggins
Mulder
Brooks
Boucher
Zach Edey!!

Canadians playing in the summer league (that could possible be invited):
Simi Shittu
Kyle Alexander
Mfiondu Kabengele
Josh Primo
Dalano Banton
Oshae Brissett


Can't confirm:
RJ Barrett - I would imagine he's in
Kelly Olynyk - Should be in, but is getting older
Cory Joseph - was unsigned at the time
Jamal Murray - Hard to commit when you have been dealing with the injuries this guy has been
Trey Lyles - ?
aminiaturebuddha
Analyst
Posts: 3,134
And1: 3,086
Joined: Aug 07, 2006

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#775 » by aminiaturebuddha » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:56 pm

So if true, the main additions from this summer's roster would be SGA, Brooks, and Boucher. I would hope that Khem Birch would also be in, since he's talked openly about how much he wants to be apart of the team, and now has a guaranteed 3-year contract to eliminate any employment uncertainty.

Those 4 would definitely make a big difference. We probably can't count on Murray until at least 2023, given the injury he's returning from (if he comes back late in the year, he'll likely take next summer off to recover), but obviously he's the biggest game changer.

Fingers crossed that there's some truth to these reports, but as always with the Canadian national team, I'll believe it when I see it.
Kenter16
Junior
Posts: 315
And1: 77
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#776 » by Kenter16 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:42 pm

Kenter16 wrote:After some more digging here's who I found was in Vegas around the 8-10th of August.

Confirmed on social media:
SGA
NAW
Lu Dort
Wiggins
Mulder
Brooks
Boucher
Zach Edey!!
Khem Birch

Canadians playing in the summer league (that could possible be invited):
Simi Shittu
Kyle Alexander
Mfiondu Kabengele
Josh Primo
Dalano Banton
Oshae Brissett


Can't confirm:
RJ Barrett - I would imagine he's in
Kelly Olynyk - Should be in, but is getting older
Cory Joseph - was unsigned at the time
Jamal Murray - Hard to commit when you have been dealing with the injuries this guy has been
Trey Lyles - ?


Can confirm that Khem Birch threw out the first pitch at the Blue Jays game on the 7th and then boarded the Raptors private plane to Vegas. Added him to the list.
User avatar
Mattd97
Head Coach
Posts: 6,230
And1: 2,398
Joined: Mar 29, 2007
Location: Toronto

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#777 » by Mattd97 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:59 pm

So 11 and 1 would likely be;
Wiggins
SGA
NAW
Birch
Powell
Boucher
Brooks
Dort
RJ
KO
...Mulder? Oshae? Cojo? Pangos? Clarke? TT? God forbid lyles?

And the one not there but being committed being murray
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
Hair Canada
Rookie
Posts: 1,026
And1: 984
Joined: Nov 02, 2017

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#778 » by Hair Canada » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:21 pm

Addison Patterson lands at Salt Lake Community College (NJCAA). Really makes you wonder what's going on with his career.

Patterson was the best player on the U17 Canadian team in the 2018 WC, and was considered a 5-star player coming out of high school. He reclassified and went to Oregon two years ago and had a mediocre season, though he didn't get too many opportunities. He then decided to leave Oregon (I think a questionable decision given their mediocre guard lineup last year) and committed to Nevada, forcing a one-year hiatus, which seemed to be kind of unnecessary given the many players who managed to still play last year after moving given the greater leniency at the NCAA with COVID (e.g. Nembhard). Then Addi left Nevada in May without an explanation.

And now this... Always had some doubts about him (shooting, strength, and a bit of attitude) but he's still a high major D1 talent so that seems like a strange move (which also comes very late in the game). Go figure.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,191
And1: 1,489
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#779 » by mojo13 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:47 pm

Hair Canada wrote:Addison Patterson lands at Salt Lake Community College (NJCAA). Really makes you wonder what's going on with his career.

Patterson was the best player on the U17 Canadian team in the 2018 WC, and was considered a 5-star player coming out of high school. He reclassified and went to Oregon two years ago and had a mediocre season, though he didn't get too many opportunities. He then decided to leave Oregon (I think a questionable decision given their mediocre guard lineup last year) and committed to Nevada, forcing a one-year hiatus, which seemed to be kind of unnecessary given the many players who managed to still play last year after moving given the greater leniency at the NCAA with COVID (e.g. Nembhard). Then Addi left Nevada in May without an explanation.

And now this... Always had some doubts about him (shooting, strength, and a bit of attitude) but he's still a high major D1 talent so that seems like a strange move (which also comes very late in the game). Go figure.



Maturity issues. He was supposed gone from Nevada back in May.

Twitter rumor was that he verbally assaulted a store clerk (I think theft involved) near the end of last season. He was not seen on the bench after that. It was pretty quiet on campus and apparently no arrest record. Sounds like he was asked to leave, kicked off the team or mutually parted ways with Nevada.

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter
?s=20
User avatar
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
Posts: 760
And1: 609
Joined: Jul 29, 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#780 » by BilboBanginz » Wed Sep 8, 2021 4:09 pm

How do we feel about this folks?

Read on Twitter

Return to Toronto Raptors