ImageImageImageImageImage

Fred, Norm, OG, Boucher, and Siakam's Ceilings

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Re: Fred, Norm, OG, Boucher, and Siakam's Ceilings 

Post#21 » by Psubs » Sat Mar 6, 2021 11:00 pm

TheBoi10 wrote:They're all at their ceiling, especially Fred.

Fred won't become taller and more athletic. Siakam won't become a consistent shooter or develop a better handle. OG won't ever dribble like a normal player or shoot off the dribble. Norm won't suddenly develop better BBIQ that would make him a competent playmaker on the dribble.

Fred can improve his 2pt shooting with a floater and more moves at the bucket to get that FG% closer to 45%. Also more playmaking.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#22 » by Psubs » Sat Mar 6, 2021 11:01 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:I hope some of you aren't serious with the Siakam/Webber comparisons etc...

Most of the comparisons don't even make sense with different style of play. Homerism is a crazy thing.

It's not a comparison, it's a ceiling.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,140

Post#23 » by gp2015 » Sat Mar 6, 2021 11:23 pm

Fringe all star reserve consideration.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,007

Post#24 » by DelAbbot » Sat Mar 6, 2021 11:28 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:I hope some of you aren't serious with the Siakam/Webber comparisons etc...

Most of the comparisons don't even make sense with different style of play. Homerism is a crazy thing.

Siakam even rigtht now compares well to to a lesser version of Kevin Garnett - in terms of build, athletic ability, handle and now passing.
BHF
Veteran
And1: 2,683

Post#25 » by BHF » Sat Mar 6, 2021 11:37 pm

They are who they are and i dont see much improvement in any of them outside of OG maybe. I could be wrong because Norm has improved quite a bit in the last 2 seasons and especially this season.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,282

Post#26 » by PhilBlackson » Sat Mar 6, 2021 11:53 pm

Psubs wrote:

Do you or other people understand how good Webber was???

CWebb was the best player on a Western Conference powerhouse that the only team that could stop them after wars for a series was a 3peat Shaq/Kobe Lakers that arguably the league jobbed to allow the Lakers to go back to the Finals?!?

In no world is Siakam reaching that level. CWebb was at a notch somewhere very slightly below some of the best (and actual best) PFs of all time like Duncan and KG. He was right there battling with them for control of the WC, he was that level. Siakam isn't even the best player on a middle of the pack EC team under .500 right now lol

Webber had world's better footwork, post moves, shooting touch, power moves, rebounding, shotblocking etc etc...he was a far superior player in almost every way. This is reminding me of when people compared Powell to Wade (but obviously as wide of gap) but check the stats and what each has done as the team's best player, although Pascal arguably has never been that.

SAC wouldn't never even remotely been considered even a mild threat in that West, battling Duncan, KG, Dirk, he was as a player and his team was considered that level..nvm Shaq and Kobe. It would essentially be like saying Siakam is right there near AD and Giannis' level because this was at the age Siakam is NOW. If you don't think Pascal is that now or very close to it (which he clearly isn't ie/ not an all-star), you're kidding yourself on what his potential is.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Post#27 » by Reeko » Sat Mar 6, 2021 11:58 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Do you or other people understand how good Webber was???

CWebb was the best player on a Western Conference powerhouse that the only team that could stop them after wars for a series was a 3peat Shaq/Kobe Lakers that arguably the league jobbed to allow the Lakers to go back to the Finals?!?

In no world is Siakam reaching that level. CWebb was at a notch somewhere very slightly below some of the best (and actual best) PFs of all time like Duncan and KG. He was right there battling with them for control of the WC, he was that level. Siakam isn't even the best player on a middle of the pack EC team under .500 right now lol

Webber had world's better footwork, post moves, shooting touch, power moves, rebounding, shotblocking etc etc...he was a far superior player in almost every way. This is reminding me of when people compared Powell to Wade (but obviously as wide of gap) but check the stats and what each has done as the team's best player, although Pascal arguably has never been that.

SAC wouldn't never even remotely been considered even a mild threat in that West, battling Duncan, KG, Dirk, he was as a player and his team was considered that level..nvm Shaq and Kobe. It would essentially be like saying Siakam is right there near AD and Giannis' level because this was at the age Siakam is NOW. If you don't think Pascal is that now or very close to it (which he clearly isn't ie/ not an all-star), you're kidding yourself on what his potential is.

People don't realize that Webber in his prime was a top 5 player in the league.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,792

Post#28 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Mar 7, 2021 12:33 am

canada_dry wrote:
TheBoi10 wrote:They're all at their ceiling, especially Fred.

Fred won't become taller and more athletic. Siakam won't become a consistent shooter or develop a better handle. OG won't ever dribble like a normal player or shoot off the dribble. Norm won't suddenly develop better BBIQ that would make him a competent playmaker on the dribble.
U say this every year but every year they come into the season improved... Especially fred.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app

Every single year. "Hypebeast Aminu"... can't forget the dumb stuff.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#29 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Mar 7, 2021 2:00 am

Fred- might make an all-star game or two (should have got in this year tbh), already made a playmaking leap this year, could see him further refining his passing and the big thing for him would be becoming dangerous pull-up 3 shooter. If he can master that shot then he has a chance at perennial all-star

Pascal- P has shown flashes of being a dangerous pinch post player, perfecting his offense from that spot and becoming more consistent with his jumper and his defense, means he could be an all-nba player again

OG - all about the handle really, if he gets that down I think borderline all star is possible, haven't seen enough as a pull-up shooter to push it further though. But a great utility wing he could be especially if he becomes more consistent as an off ball defender potentially giving him DPOY impact
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#30 » by pr0gr4m » Sun Mar 7, 2021 2:19 am

I think continuity is the way.

They can all improve by becoming better 3 level scorers. They are all sound defensively and offense is generally easy to develop.

The defense alone of that group + another point forward would be enough for perennial playoff team status.

Getting lucky one year with good match ups / injuries and we could have a surprise window.

Boucher
Siakam
OG
Powell
FVV

I have Stanley, Flynn, and Davis as dark horse guys off the bench. I still think Yuta can be a player for us at the back up forward spot.

Defense first is definitely the best way forward. I also see Powell becoming a go to scorer for us. It will be weird but possible.

Running plays for Powell to get the ball in the paint and operate would be successful. His finish rate is like Embiid level.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,506

Post#31 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:46 pm

Im just going to leave this here..

Age 22 Season:

Kawhi: 29.1 MIN, 12.8 PPG, 6.2 REB, 2.0 AST, 1.7 STL, 0.8 BLK, 52.2 FG, 37.9 3PT, 80.2 FT, .602 TS

OG: 29.9 MIN, 10.6 PPG, 5.3 REB, 1.6 AST, 1.4 STL, 0.7 BLK, 50.5 FG, 39.0 3PT, 70.6 FT, .600 TS

Age 23 Season:

Kawhi: 31.8 MIN, 16.5 PPG, 7.2 REB, 2.5 AST, 2.5 STL, 0.8 BLK, 47.9 FG, 34.9 3PT, 80.2 FT, .567 TS

OG: 33.2 MIN, 15.5 PPG, 5.6 REB, 2.0 AST, 1.6 STL, 0.7 BLK, 48.3 FG, 39.3 3PT, 78.1 FT, .609 TS
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#32 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:56 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Im just going to leave this here..

Age 22 Season:

Kawhi: 29.1 MIN, 12.8 PPG, 6.2 REB, 2.0 AST, 1.7 STL, 0.8 BLK, 52.2 FG, 37.9 3PT, 80.2 FT, .602 TS

OG: 29.9 MIN, 10.6 PPG, 5.3 REB, 1.6 AST, 1.4 STL, 0.7 BLK, 50.5 FG, 39.0 3PT, 70.6 FT, .600 TS

Age 23 Season:

Kawhi: 31.8 MIN, 16.5 PPG, 7.2 REB, 2.5 AST, 2.5 STL, 0.8 BLK, 47.9 FG, 34.9 3PT, 80.2 FT, .567 TS

OG: 33.2 MIN, 15.5 PPG, 5.6 REB, 2.0 AST, 1.6 STL, 0.7 BLK, 48.3 FG, 39.3 3PT, 78.1 FT, .609 TS

raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
PhilBlackson
RealGM

Post#33 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:15 pm

Age 22 Season:

Age 23 Season:

The question is why though?!

Are you insinuating OG is on the same trajectory without using context?

I mean keep in mind Kawhi's stats were happening behind the HOF likes of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobilli and Tony Parker all being well ahead of him in the pecking order (not to mention Danny Green, Patty Mills, Boris Diaw, Bellinelli, CoJo) on 55+W teams off the heals of a championship and Finals MVP for Kawhi not to mention won DPOY that very year at THE SAME AGE and go on to win it the very next year as well! lol

I love OG but there's levels to this and not a fan of people comparing him to a vastly superiorplayer...he's considered a very good defender but Kawhi was next level hence why Anunoby isn't even 1st team nvm a back to back dpoy in the making. Nor is he coming off anything near a Finals MVP lol.

I welcome you to please go watch some footage of Kawhi at the same age and not just post raw numbers when comparing players because context matters and you'll see Kawhi was more advanced offensively (had a pull up jumper, fadeaways, post footwork etc) just Pops hadn't given him a larger role due to his HOF core vs OG who we attempt to feature on a team that's just praying to make a Play In that didn't even exist before and would be a definitive non Playoff team this year it's not the same.

I don't know why people don't just appreciate we have one of the better young 3+D players in the league and want to force the Kawhi comparison unless you're really hinting that OG will one day into a MVP caliber wing who's game will resemble MJ or Kobe and have a historic run that only Kareem, MJ, Hakeem and LeBron had...surely that's not the case?!? If so, let's please not squint our eyes to see these Norm = Wade, DeRozan = Kobe and OG = Kawhi comparisons lol they're nice players but again there's levels to this.
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,894

Post#34 » by Merit » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:27 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:

Age 22 Season:

Age 23 Season:

I mean keep in mind Kawhi's stats were happening behind the HOF likes of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobilli and Tony Parker all being well ahead of him in the pecking order on 55+W teams off the heals of a championship and Finals MVP for Kawhi not to mention won DPOY that very year at THE SAME AGE and go on to win it the very next year as well! lol

I love OG but there's levels to this and not a fan of people comparing him to a vastly superiorplayer...he's considered a very good defender but Kawhi was next level hence why Anunoby isn't even 1st team nvm a back to back dpoy in the making. Nor is he coming off anything near a Finals MVP lol.

I welcome you to please go watch some footage of Kawhi at the same age and not just post raw numbers when comparing players because context matters and you'll see Kawhi was more advanced offensively just Pops hadn't given him a larger role due to his HOF core vs OG who we attempt to feature on a team that's just praying to make a Play In that didn't even exist before and would be a definitive non Playoff team this year it's not the same.

I don't know why people don't just appreciate we have one of the better young 3+D players in the league and want to force the Kawhi comparison unless you're really hinting that OG will one day into a MVP caliber wing who's game will resemble MJ or Kobe and have a historic run that only Kareem, MJ, Hakeem and LeBron had...surely that's not the case?!? If so, let's please not squint our eyes to see these Norm = Wade, DeRozan = Kobe and OG = Kawhi comparisons lol they're nice players but again there's levels to this.

Of all the outlandish comparisons (Norm/Wade, Siakam/CWebb) the OG/Kawhi one is the most plausible.
I believe in Masai.
PhilBlackson
RealGM

Post#35 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:33 pm

Merit wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:

Age 22 Season:

Age 23 Season:

I mean keep in mind Kawhi's stats were happening behind the HOF likes of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobilli and Tony Parker all being well ahead of him in the pecking order on 55+W teams off the heals of a championship and Finals MVP for Kawhi not to mention won DPOY that very year at THE SAME AGE and go on to win it the very next year as well! lol

I welcome you to please go watch some footage of Kawhi at the same age and not just post raw numbers when comparing players because context matters and you'll see Kawhi was more advanced offensively just Pops hadn't given him a larger role due to his HOF core vs OG who we attempt to feature on a team that's just praying to make a Play In that didn't even exist before and would be a definitive non Playoff team this year it's not the same.

Of all the outlandish comparisons (Norm/Wade, Siakam/CWebb) the OG/Kawhi one is the most plausible.

You believe it's plausible OG becomes one of the top 3-5 players in the league??

That he will likewise be a 2 time Finals MVP and 2x DPOY that can CARRY a team having an entire Playoffs averaging over 31ppg on 50% from the field, 40+% from 3 while teams double and triple teamed him?!?

That's a plausible outcome for OG?! You can't be serious...
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#36 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:38 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:

Age 22 Season:

Age 23 Season:

I mean keep in mind Kawhi's stats were happening behind the HOF likes of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobilli and Tony Parker all being well ahead of him in the pecking order (not to mention Danny Green, Patty Mills, Boris Diaw, Bellinelli, CoJo) on 55+W teams off the heals of a championship and Finals MVP for Kawhi not to mention won DPOY that very year at THE SAME AGE and go on to win it the very next year as well! lol

I welcome you to please go watch some footage of Kawhi at the same age and not just post raw numbers when comparing players because context matters and you'll see Kawhi was more advanced offensively (had a pull up jumper, fadeaways, post footwork etc) just Pops hadn't given him a larger role due to his HOF core vs OG who we attempt to feature on a team that's just praying to make a Play In that didn't even exist before and would be a definitive non Playoff team this year it's not the same.

I have no doubt in my mind that OG is/will be as good a defender as Kawhi. OG is already one of the best defenders in the league whether he's recognized for it or not. The stats already show it.

I don't expect him to reach Kawhi levels offensively because the jumps Kawhi made were incredible and rare, but you cant completely rule it out yet because OG has made improvements every year and he's still very young.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#37 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:41 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
Merit wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:

You believe it's plausible OG becomes one of the top 3-5 players in the league??

That he will likewise be a 2 time Finals MVP and 2x DPOY that can CARRY a team having an entire Playoffs averaging over 31ppg on 50% from the field, 40+% from 3 while teams double and triple teamed him?!?

Nobody expected 22 year old Kawhi to become a top 3 player.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#38 » by Danny1616 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:48 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
Merit wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:

Very unlikely that it would happen but it's not out of the realm of possibility that it could happen.

OG's stats at 23 are almost identical to Kawhi at 23. Efficiency wise, OG is actually slightly better at that age. Now it's hard to compare because Kawhi at 23 was playing on a team with Duncan (still an elite player), Parker (all-star), Ginobili (6th man of the year), prime Green etc.

Kawhi at 23 was arguably best 3 + D player in the NBA but still a very raw player overall. Kawhi did not have close to the iso, post-up game, footwork etc. that he eventually developed around 2016 and 2017, when he was 25-26 years old.

OG has the physical tools to eventually become an all-star - 6'8, very strong, explosive, quick feet, good shooting form etc. The question is will OG put in the work to develop his post-game, mid-range game, footwork, playmaking etc. That's up to him.

Derozan was extremely raw around 2011 and 2012. By 2015 he had one of the best post-up/footwork arsenals in the NBA. That's a testament to his work-ethic. OG has more physical tools than Derozan, but does he have the obsessive work ethic to be elite.
PhilBlackson
RealGM

Post#39 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:28 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:

Age 22 Season:

Age 23 Season:

I have no doubt in my mind that OG is/will be as good a defender as Kawhi. OG is already one of the best defenders in the league whether he's recognized for it or not. The stats already show it.

I don't expect him to reach Kawhi levels offensively because the jumps Kawhi made were incredible and rare, but you cant completely rule it out yet because OG has made improvements every year and he's still very young.

Trust me I'm not taking any pleasure in saying this stuff...OG is probably my favorite player on the roster (GT Jr will likely catch up as fav for me) but I'm definitely ruling out such a freakish anomaly of development that Kawhi had particularly when again he was actually a more skilled and polished player by the SAME AGE (ie/ pull up jumpers, fadeaways, post work) but his "comparable" stats came while Kawhi was buried on a team that made back to back Finals with Duncan, Manu & Parker taking the lion share while he was essentially blending in with Danny Green, Bellinelli, Diaw, Mills etc) not attempting to be featured as a part of a supposed core as OG is, nbm the astronomical jumps offensively he'd go on to take in subsequent years...

There is no MVP caliber, top 3-5 player in the making lol I'm sorry

Said it in a lot of previous convos about OG but far more realistically we should be hopeful he becomes the level of a once all-star, dpoy and 20+ppg Ron Artest was...
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#40 » by MixxSRC » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:32 pm

yeah not a fan of building up hype about a guy just to tear him down later. Let's be happy with improvements that OG is making but let's stay realistic. That pull up midrange game is huge leap to make for OG and I doubt he will. And we're not even talking about being a leader, first option on offense.

Return to Toronto Raptors