ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN

Moderators: Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, 7 Footer, Rhettmatic, niQ, Patman, pbj, Alfred

User avatar
ReggieSlater
Starter
Posts: 2,255
And1: 711
Joined: Jul 13, 2005
Location: Ottawa
 

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#241 » by ReggieSlater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:29 pm

agkagk wrote:
ReggieSlater wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:LMAO Jemelle Hill? She's like the queen of the leftist cancel cult. You'd need photos of her in bed with Trump to get her cancelled.


Or, there is no agency behind cancel culture and it's just a series of corporate decisions that aren't linked at all. We link them based on our own confirmation bias because it seems intuitive that they are linked. That they illustrate a progressive movement or a growing trend. Are these new things though? Do you think there is a period of time where a parent company like Disney would not have dismissed Paul Pierce for similar transgressions? Are Paul Pierces alleged transgressions related to other people who were fired from their businesses? Are any of those people who were fired at all related to each other by anything other than allegations of socially engineered conspiracies?


In the 60’es the president of the United States was celebrated for openly cheating on his wife with Marilyn Monroe.

I have older family that has started and built large white collar companies from the ground up.

Fun fact; the show mad men underplays how debaucherous the corporate world was. 80es and early could straight up border on drug induced orgy.

Disney in particular has more then a few skeletons, mistresses, dead bodies and prostitutes in its closet — it’s not like these stories are hard to find.

I honestly think your just talking for your own reflection and mistaking your opinion for all knowing fact without any real knowledge or experience to back it up.


I'm illustrating what can and can't be known, and how people mistake the two. I'm not making any judgements of Paul Pierce or the media, others are. I'm leading you to the only conclusion that can be made given the evidence. This might cause some dissonance for some people as many seem to have already been led to a conclusion based on poor or false evidence. What you do with this information is up to you. I don't really care. Pretty sure this puppy is going to be locked pretty soon anyway.
User avatar
Neutral 123
RealGM
Posts: 10,757
And1: 2,515
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
Location: Pandora

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#242 » by Neutral 123 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:38 pm

ReggieSlater wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:Yes actually, he was also a bad analyst.

Now do Jamelle Hill or Dan Lebatard or someone who doesn’t suck.

LMAO Jemelle Hill? She's like the queen of the leftist cancel cult. You'd need photos of her in bed with Trump to get her cancelled.


Or, there is no agency behind cancel culture and it's just a series of corporate decisions that aren't linked at all. We link them based on our own confirmation bias because it seems intuitive that they are linked. That they illustrate a progressive movement or a growing trend. Are these new things though? Do you think there is a period of time where a parent company like Disney would not have dismissed Paul Pierce for similar transgressions? Are Paul Pierces alleged transgressions related to other people who were fired from their businesses? Are any of those people who were fired at all related to each other by anything other than allegations of socially engineered conspiracies?


Whether PP is a victim of cancel culture is debatable. Whether there is a cancel culture is not. Matters that were between an employer and employee are now a matter for social media, where so called activists rally to force companies to fire people they don't like. People like shaun king have bragged about getting people to flood companies with thousands of phone calls and emails to get their way.

Even more sinister, and this is inherent to so called progressivism, is the use of politics, the use of laws to do whatever they think is best, rather than simply protecting the rights of individuals. So I highly suspect that the reason why these big companies are going along with this stuff is that they fear political payback in the form of laws that hurt them if they don't go along with this woke stuff.

Biden for example just praised the MLB for moving the all-star game. A clear warning that you can either be friend or foe to people who believe in their right to shape the world as they see fit, rather than just being agents to preserve individual freedom. MLB is on the side of those who would hinder their business if they don't cooperate.

They will create the utopia, they just need all the power and control to do so. A very dangerous thing. So when they call something voter suppression, you better go along with it or else face payback.
.
User avatar
ItsDanger
General Manager
Posts: 8,482
And1: 5,207
Joined: Nov 01, 2008

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#243 » by ItsDanger » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:53 pm

ReggieSlater wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Make no mistake, ESPN is Disney. One word from corporate, and Pierce is terminated. Period. Given their recent media track record, I would suggest the common profit perception from the public is clouded. Would Bill Rasmussen (a founder of ESPN) have fired Pierce? I highly doubt it.

Some here want to downplay certain issues because of their own agenda. Sad


You're illustrating a point that you are certain of, even though it can't be known, and you think others are downplaying issues for their agenda?

Would you say the time to believe something is before or after you have proper evidence for it?

Never claimed Disney in fact dropped the order but that they are in the position to do so.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
User avatar
ReggieSlater
Starter
Posts: 2,255
And1: 711
Joined: Jul 13, 2005
Location: Ottawa
 

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#244 » by ReggieSlater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:58 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:Whether PP is a victim of cancel culture is debatable. Whether there is a cancel culture is not. Matters that were between an employer and employee are now a matter for social media, where so called activists rally to force companies to fire people they don't like. People like shaun king have bragged about getting people to flood companies with thousands of phone calls and emails to get their way.

Even more sinister, and this is inherent to so called progressivism, is the use of politics, the use of laws to do whatever they think is best, rather than simply protecting the rights of individuals. So I highly suspect that the reason why these big companies are going along with this stuff is that they fear political payback in the form of laws that hurt them if they don't go along with this woke stuff.

Biden for example just praised the MLB for moving the all-star game. A clear warning that you can either be friend or foe to people who believe in their right to shape the world as they see fit, rather than just being agents to preserve individual freedom. MLB is on the side of those who would hinder their business if they don't cooperate.

They will create the utopia, they just need all the power and control to do so. A very dangerous thing. So when they call something voter suppression, you better go along with it or else face payback.


Cancel Culture exists as an undefinable nebulous term, I agree, but in application it is an an unobservable rorschach test. We see from these events, what we want to see. The Paul Pierce incident is as clear as any, which is to say, not clear at all.

I'm tempted to derail this, but I feel I've done that enough. Let me just make one smaller point. In every instance where you wrote "they" think of what they are, and how commonality in the agency of "they" is possible or even probable. Do you have a logical foundation for knowing this, and why do you? There's a clear bias here, likely based on political tribalism. It's understandable, but not based on truth or evidence. You notice Biden's praise as an example of this, but would you do the same for Trumps praise or disapproval? These are political tactics that have always belonged to the theatre of politics. Politicians, all of them, strive to shape ideas, ideologies and consolidate power. Conservative or Liberal, they've been doing this since the first person decided to create the idea of society in order to link others together.

None of this is new. The one thing that is new, and which I believe is the cause for so much more friction, is social media. Corporations don't really know what they're doing here. That much is clear to me (yes this is speculation and feel free to call me out on it if you want). Imagine all of our tribal lines being created. We normally rarely disagree on these, but now, we have access to billions of other people, with countless individual tribal alliances we have to now contend with. These will just cause endless amount of friction as we all rub up against each other. There is so much more opportunity of dissonance as we all have to reconcile competing ideas. Dissonance forces us to make a cognitive decision, conform or reject. This is what we see in how people view these issues. They see it as an effort for others to force people to conform or else, but that is just how we resolve dissonance. People aren't asking for this, we are doing this ourselves, and lashing out at those that have introduced this dissonance. Understanding our own cognition is key, and understanding how social media has shaped these tribal issues explains this.

I guess I did derail this. Also Paul Pierce did stuff.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 56,607
And1: 21,024
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#245 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:10 pm

9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
agkagk
Rookie
Posts: 1,057
And1: 655
Joined: Sep 03, 2011

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#246 » by agkagk » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:21 pm

ReggieSlater wrote:
agkagk wrote:
ReggieSlater wrote:
Or, there is no agency behind cancel culture and it's just a series of corporate decisions that aren't linked at all. We link them based on our own confirmation bias because it seems intuitive that they are linked. That they illustrate a progressive movement or a growing trend. Are these new things though? Do you think there is a period of time where a parent company like Disney would not have dismissed Paul Pierce for similar transgressions? Are Paul Pierces alleged transgressions related to other people who were fired from their businesses? Are any of those people who were fired at all related to each other by anything other than allegations of socially engineered conspiracies?


In the 60’es the president of the United States was celebrated for openly cheating on his wife with Marilyn Monroe.

I have older family that has started and built large white collar companies from the ground up.

Fun fact; the show mad men underplays how debaucherous the corporate world was. 80es and early could straight up border on drug induced orgy.

Disney in particular has more then a few skeletons, mistresses, dead bodies and prostitutes in its closet — it’s not like these stories are hard to find.

I honestly think your just talking for your own reflection and mistaking your opinion for all knowing fact without any real knowledge or experience to back it up.


I'm illustrating what can and can't be known, and how people mistake the two. I'm not making any judgements of Paul Pierce or the media, others are. I'm leading you to the only conclusion that can be made given the evidence. This might cause some dissonance for some people as many seem to have already been led to a conclusion based on poor or false evidence. What you do with this information is up to you. I don't really care. Pretty sure this puppy is going to be locked pretty soon anyway.



Ya for some reason the tags at the top never work for me, the following should have been highlighted:

" Do you think there is a period of time where a parent company like Disney would not have dismissed Paul Pierce for similar transgressions? "

to clarify, yes I do, with the reasons stated above.

I believe you've jumped to outright denial when prior to which you were basing your argument on a false causality; when things are very obvious and simple to connect.

I dont understand how an intelligent person can play dumb and try to argue that the reasons for the firing are vague and not blatantly transparent. Agree or disagree, its not hard to see how one could form a logical, linear thought that there is hypocrisy in that decision.
User avatar
ReggieSlater
Starter
Posts: 2,255
And1: 711
Joined: Jul 13, 2005
Location: Ottawa
 

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#247 » by ReggieSlater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:43 pm

agkagk wrote:I dont understand how an intelligent person can play dumb and try to argue that the reasons for the firing are vague and not blatantly transparent. Agree or disagree, its not hard to see how one could form a logical, linear thought that there is hypocrisy in that decision.


They are obvious to those that have already sought out a pattern. I am informing you that you can only make these assumptions if you believe what isn't known. Even if Disney released a press release that Paul Pierce was fired by their own corporate entity, and even if they were fired because Bob Iger specifically requested it, and if if they confirmed that the only reason they did it was because of the negative treatment of woman, you still wouldn't get to liberal progressive agenda nor could we look at a conservative one. Only a single persons decision. We can't get past any of those barriers though, and we still couldn't come to the conclusion that this wouldn't be a normal practice in any previous era where puritanically values were more stringently adhered to, such as during the Hayes Code.

Just to be clear, you understand that looking at that video one could make an equal argument that he was fired for not adhering to conservative family culture values as well. Does this change your opinion of it, or is this simply about Disney?
djsunyc
RealGM
Posts: 68,591
And1: 42,607
Joined: Dec 28, 2003

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#248 » by djsunyc » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:51 pm

if espn were the cops and paul pierced were shot instead of fired, half the folks in this thread wouldn't say a damn word.
JB7
Pro Prospect
Posts: 855
And1: 120
Joined: Jun 03, 2002

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#249 » by JB7 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:24 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:
ReggieSlater wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:LMAO Jemelle Hill? She's like the queen of the leftist cancel cult. You'd need photos of her in bed with Trump to get her cancelled.


Or, there is no agency behind cancel culture and it's just a series of corporate decisions that aren't linked at all. We link them based on our own confirmation bias because it seems intuitive that they are linked. That they illustrate a progressive movement or a growing trend. Are these new things though? Do you think there is a period of time where a parent company like Disney would not have dismissed Paul Pierce for similar transgressions? Are Paul Pierces alleged transgressions related to other people who were fired from their businesses? Are any of those people who were fired at all related to each other by anything other than allegations of socially engineered conspiracies?


Whether PP is a victim of cancel culture is debatable. Whether there is a cancel culture is not. Matters that were between an employer and employee are now a matter for social media, where so called activists rally to force companies to fire people they don't like. People like shaun king have bragged about getting people to flood companies with thousands of phone calls and emails to get their way.

Even more sinister, and this is inherent to so called progressivism, is the use of politics, the use of laws to do whatever they think is best, rather than simply protecting the rights of individuals. So I highly suspect that the reason why these big companies are going along with this stuff is that they fear political payback in the form of laws that hurt them if they don't go along with this woke stuff.

Biden for example just praised the MLB for moving the all-star game. A clear warning that you can either be friend or foe to people who believe in their right to shape the world as they see fit, rather than just being agents to preserve individual freedom. MLB is on the side of those who would hinder their business if they don't cooperate.

They will create the utopia, they just need all the power and control to do so. A very dangerous thing. So when they call something voter suppression, you better go along with it or else face payback.


So MLB's response to what is going on in Georgia is to move the All Star game from a city that has probably the largest percentage of black-owned businesses, some of which will suffer because of this move, to a city (Denver) that is predominately white, and Biden praises it.

I think this is a lot of the politicians and media stirring up hate. The 'cancel culture' plays right into creating this unease and division, which is why both politicians and media are running with it. Not much different than the McCarthy years in the US.

When there is such economic distress across the US, it is a useful tool of the ruling elite to keep people pitted against each other, than focused on any of the real problems.

Bringing this back to basketball, some what, it was hilarious that Sir Charles talked about this on the air:
https://www.phillyvoice.com/charles-barkley-american-politics-comments-final-four/
User avatar
Neutral 123
RealGM
Posts: 10,757
And1: 2,515
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
Location: Pandora

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#250 » by Neutral 123 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:05 pm

ReggieSlater wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:Whether PP is a victim of cancel culture is debatable. Whether there is a cancel culture is not. Matters that were between an employer and employee are now a matter for social media, where so called activists rally to force companies to fire people they don't like. People like shaun king have bragged about getting people to flood companies with thousands of phone calls and emails to get their way.

Even more sinister, and this is inherent to so called progressivism, is the use of politics, the use of laws to do whatever they think is best, rather than simply protecting the rights of individuals. So I highly suspect that the reason why these big companies are going along with this stuff is that they fear political payback in the form of laws that hurt them if they don't go along with this woke stuff.

Biden for example just praised the MLB for moving the all-star game. A clear warning that you can either be friend or foe to people who believe in their right to shape the world as they see fit, rather than just being agents to preserve individual freedom. MLB is on the side of those who would hinder their business if they don't cooperate.

They will create the utopia, they just need all the power and control to do so. A very dangerous thing. So when they call something voter suppression, you better go along with it or else face payback.


Cancel Culture exists as an undefinable nebulous term, I agree, but in application it is an an unobservable rorschach test. We see from these events, what we want to see. The Paul Pierce incident is as clear as any, which is to say, not clear at all.

I'm tempted to derail this, but I feel I've done that enough. Let me just make one smaller point. In every instance where you wrote "they" think of what they are, and how commonality in the agency of "they" is possible or even probable. Do you have a logical foundation for knowing this, and why do you? There's a clear bias here, likely based on political tribalism. It's understandable, but not based on truth or evidence. You notice Biden's praise as an example of this, but would you do the same for Trumps praise or disapproval? These are political tactics that have always belonged to the theatre of politics. Politicians, all of them, strive to shape ideas, ideologies and consolidate power. Conservative or Liberal, they've been doing this since the first person decided to create the idea of society in order to link others together.

None of this is new. The one thing that is new, and which I believe is the cause for so much more friction, is social media. Corporations don't really know what they're doing here. That much is clear to me (yes this is speculation and feel free to call me out on it if you want). Imagine all of our tribal lines being created. We normally rarely disagree on these, but now, we have access to billions of other people, with countless individual tribal alliances we have to now contend with. These will just cause endless amount of friction as we all rub up against each other. There is so much more opportunity of dissonance as we all have to reconcile competing ideas. Dissonance forces us to make a cognitive decision, conform or reject. This is what we see in how people view these issues. They see it as an effort for others to force people to conform or else, but that is just how we resolve dissonance. People aren't asking for this, we are doing this ourselves, and lashing out at those that have introduced this dissonance. Understanding our own cognition is key, and understanding how social media has shaped these tribal issues explains this.

I guess I did derail this. Also Paul Pierce did stuff.

Competing ideologies are not created equal. What we have going on right now is a battle between what America was founded on, which is the rights of individuals to rule their own lives, or to turn over those rights to people who claim to be smarter and more moral than the masses. That's the whole basis of Leftism and it's various types. The masses of people must do what some authority says for the greater good.

If you are a corporation, and you know if these people get elected, they will see nothing of interfering with your business if you aren't in their good graces, chances are you'll go along with what they want.

It's not a coincidence at all that all these corporations have gone woke despite overwhelming opposition of the general public. Most that support the left, do so because they are promised they will get things for free, having no idea that one, that's not going to happen, and two, it comes at the cost of surrendering your personal freedom. We've seen this happen over and over again.

People flee centrally planned economies to freer economies. Biden wasn't offering support, he was offering a warning. These are the types of things you will do if you want to be left alone. No one wants to become the next Amazon and be the face of greed and mistreatment etc.
.
User avatar
Neutral 123
RealGM
Posts: 10,757
And1: 2,515
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
Location: Pandora

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#251 » by Neutral 123 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:07 pm

JB7 wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:
ReggieSlater wrote:
Or, there is no agency behind cancel culture and it's just a series of corporate decisions that aren't linked at all. We link them based on our own confirmation bias because it seems intuitive that they are linked. That they illustrate a progressive movement or a growing trend. Are these new things though? Do you think there is a period of time where a parent company like Disney would not have dismissed Paul Pierce for similar transgressions? Are Paul Pierces alleged transgressions related to other people who were fired from their businesses? Are any of those people who were fired at all related to each other by anything other than allegations of socially engineered conspiracies?


Whether PP is a victim of cancel culture is debatable. Whether there is a cancel culture is not. Matters that were between an employer and employee are now a matter for social media, where so called activists rally to force companies to fire people they don't like. People like shaun king have bragged about getting people to flood companies with thousands of phone calls and emails to get their way.

Even more sinister, and this is inherent to so called progressivism, is the use of politics, the use of laws to do whatever they think is best, rather than simply protecting the rights of individuals. So I highly suspect that the reason why these big companies are going along with this stuff is that they fear political payback in the form of laws that hurt them if they don't go along with this woke stuff.

Biden for example just praised the MLB for moving the all-star game. A clear warning that you can either be friend or foe to people who believe in their right to shape the world as they see fit, rather than just being agents to preserve individual freedom. MLB is on the side of those who would hinder their business if they don't cooperate.

They will create the utopia, they just need all the power and control to do so. A very dangerous thing. So when they call something voter suppression, you better go along with it or else face payback.


So MLB's response to what is going on in Georgia is to move the All Star game from a city that has probably the largest percentage of black-owned businesses, some of which will suffer because of this move, to a city (Denver) that is predominately white, and Biden praises it.

I think this is a lot of the politicians and media stirring up hate. The 'cancel culture' plays right into creating this unease and division, which is why both politicians and media are running with it. Not much different than the McCarthy years in the US.

When there is such economic distress across the US, it is a useful tool of the ruling elite to keep people pitted against each other, than focused on any of the real problems.

Bringing this back to basketball, some what, it was hilarious that Sir Charles talked about this on the air:
https://www.phillyvoice.com/charles-barkley-american-politics-comments-final-four/

Because nothing the left does is about helping black people, but about gaining more power. You read most of the media and they won't even explain the law, but call it a voter suppression law lol. It's painfully obvious why that is.
.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 56,607
And1: 21,024
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#252 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:22 pm

Checking in with "most of the media" to see if they have gotten into the details of the Georgia bill and made specific observations:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/04/05/are-american-conservatives-facing-an-extinction-level-event/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-georgias-new-voting-law-is-such-a-big-deal/

https://www.businessinsider.com/georgia-new-election-law-means-for-voters-and-officials-explainer-2021-3

https://jabberwocking.com/here-are-all-the-pros-and-cons-of-the-georgia-voting-law/

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/06/opinion/georgia-voting-law.html

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/new-voter-suppression (this is a general discussion of voter Id but still useful context)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
User avatar
Darkseid
Analyst
Posts: 3,330
And1: 2,921
Joined: Apr 14, 2009
Location: 5th World

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#253 » by Darkseid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:26 pm

He might have been the worst analyst of all time so good riddance.
Dennis: A man can wear a woman's shoe. You can't rule out trickery. I mean, that's why we need the viewing slot. (opens the slot)
Frank: This slot defeats the purpose. I can see your eyes! We might as well get married!
User avatar
ReggieSlater
Starter
Posts: 2,255
And1: 711
Joined: Jul 13, 2005
Location: Ottawa
 

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#254 » by ReggieSlater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:35 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:Competing ideologies are not created equal. What we have going on right now is a battle between what America was founded on, which is the rights of individuals to rule their own lives, or to turn over those rights to people who claim to be smarter and more moral than the masses. That's the whole basis of Leftism and it's various types. The masses of people must do what some authority says for the greater good.


This is not a guiding principal or liberal politics. Progressive values want individual autonomy, this is why progressive values have been behind almost every instance of civil rights movements against authority. You can find instances from all political movements that want to control people by establishing their beliefs. Evangelicals largely reside on the conservative spectrum and have always been trying to influence both politics, cultural values, and to tell people how to think and act. Political opposition usually boils down to power and 1% tax breaks for top earners. That is hardly the difference between a coup for power and a mandate for mass control.

Neutral 123 wrote:If you are a corporation, and you know if these people get elected, they will see nothing of interfering with your business if you aren't in their good graces, chances are you'll go along with what they want.

It's not a coincidence at all that all these corporations have gone woke despite overwhelming opposition of the general public. Most that support the left, do so because they are promised they will get things for free, having no idea that one, that's not going to happen, and two, it comes at the cost of surrendering your personal freedom. We've seen this happen over and over again.


None of this is supported by any evidence. You should consider why this is part of your foundation for your belief. Do you really think all actions can be filtered down to political influence and power without this being knowable and without any evidence? This seems to be a path to believe things that are not true.

Neutral 123 wrote:People flee centrally planned economies to freer economies. Biden wasn't offering support, he was offering a warning. These are the types of things you will do if you want to be left alone. No one wants to become the next Amazon and be the face of greed and mistreatment etc.


Businesses go where they can make the most money. The rest of your conjecture is not supported, sorry.

You are free to believe what you want. Plenty of opinions, but I'm only pointing out where you might have a failure in your reasoning.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
Posts: 14,723
And1: 9,779
Joined: Jun 09, 2003
     

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#255 » by B-Ball Freak » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:37 pm

Lol good, f*ck a paul pierce dude has always hated Toronto/Canada.
xinxin
Senior
Posts: 578
And1: 507
Joined: Jul 01, 2018
   

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#256 » by xinxin » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:54 pm

Never liked his analysis. If that’s what they call it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDE
Junior
Posts: 480
And1: 1,065
Joined: Jun 15, 2019

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#257 » by BDE » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:21 pm

ReggieSlater wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:Whether PP is a victim of cancel culture is debatable. Whether there is a cancel culture is not. Matters that were between an employer and employee are now a matter for social media, where so called activists rally to force companies to fire people they don't like. People like shaun king have bragged about getting people to flood companies with thousands of phone calls and emails to get their way.

Even more sinister, and this is inherent to so called progressivism, is the use of politics, the use of laws to do whatever they think is best, rather than simply protecting the rights of individuals. So I highly suspect that the reason why these big companies are going along with this stuff is that they fear political payback in the form of laws that hurt them if they don't go along with this woke stuff.

Biden for example just praised the MLB for moving the all-star game. A clear warning that you can either be friend or foe to people who believe in their right to shape the world as they see fit, rather than just being agents to preserve individual freedom. MLB is on the side of those who would hinder their business if they don't cooperate.

They will create the utopia, they just need all the power and control to do so. A very dangerous thing. So when they call something voter suppression, you better go along with it or else face payback.


Cancel Culture exists as an undefinable nebulous term, I agree, but in application it is an an unobservable rorschach test. We see from these events, what we want to see. The Paul Pierce incident is as clear as any, which is to say, not clear at all.

I'm tempted to derail this, but I feel I've done that enough. Let me just make one smaller point. In every instance where you wrote "they" think of what they are, and how commonality in the agency of "they" is possible or even probable. Do you have a logical foundation for knowing this, and why do you? There's a clear bias here, likely based on political tribalism. It's understandable, but not based on truth or evidence. You notice Biden's praise as an example of this, but would you do the same for Trumps praise or disapproval? These are political tactics that have always belonged to the theatre of politics. Politicians, all of them, strive to shape ideas, ideologies and consolidate power. Conservative or Liberal, they've been doing this since the first person decided to create the idea of society in order to link others together.

None of this is new. The one thing that is new, and which I believe is the cause for so much more friction, is social media. Corporations don't really know what they're doing here. That much is clear to me (yes this is speculation and feel free to call me out on it if you want). Imagine all of our tribal lines being created. We normally rarely disagree on these, but now, we have access to billions of other people, with countless individual tribal alliances we have to now contend with. These will just cause endless amount of friction as we all rub up against each other. There is so much more opportunity of dissonance as we all have to reconcile competing ideas. Dissonance forces us to make a cognitive decision, conform or reject. This is what we see in how people view these issues. They see it as an effort for others to force people to conform or else, but that is just how we resolve dissonance. People aren't asking for this, we are doing this ourselves, and lashing out at those that have introduced this dissonance. Understanding our own cognition is key, and understanding how social media has shaped these tribal issues explains this.

I guess I did derail this. Also Paul Pierce did stuff.


Had to log in to comment on your posts - not this one in particular (though this one is similar to all the other ones)..

You've spoken down to every poster who's offered their opinion, by attempting to use big words to make a point. Its condescending and you've trailed the conversation away from the key points others are offering.

To you there doesnt exist a liberal Cancel Culture because - surprise, surprise - you're part of the group that obviously believes there is nothing wrong with it. Bias - short, 4 letter word that I'm sure you know of.

Just because you side with it, doesn't mean others who are against it or tired of it are wrong. Don't try to cancel their opinion with the loud noise of big words and condescending lectures. Doesn't add inches to your ----.

There is a growing movement of this cancel culture (or whatever fancy term some come up with, from either side of the politcal spectrum) and anyone with half a brain can feel and see that. This my opinion - and the opinion of almost everyone I talk to in person on a daily basis. It absolutely comes from the Left side of said spectrum (how others are debating that is laughable). There is a strong form of censorship starting to creep into mainstream media - wide out in the open - MY opinion.

Now of course you'll come in, make some condescending remarks about my post and how I dont know what im talking about, and how I'm wrong and big words, big words, big words... One other poster will send a bunch of left-wing links "proving" me wrong and make some rude remarks, etc. Same cycle, over and over. Because - just like Cancel Culture (for lack of a better term;), if you dont agree with something, it MUST be wrong, right?
BDE
Junior
Posts: 480
And1: 1,065
Joined: Jun 15, 2019

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#258 » by BDE » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:24 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:Competing ideologies are not created equal. What we have going on right now is a battle between what America was founded on, which is the rights of individuals to rule their own lives, or to turn over those rights to people who claim to be smarter and more moral than the masses. That's the whole basis of Leftism and it's various types. The masses of people must do what some authority says for the greater good.

If you are a corporation, and you know if these people get elected, they will see nothing of interfering with your business if you aren't in their good graces, chances are you'll go along with what they want.

It's not a coincidence at all that all these corporations have gone woke despite overwhelming opposition of the general public. Most that support the left, do so because they are promised they will get things for free, having no idea that one, that's not going to happen, and two, it comes at the cost of surrendering your personal freedom. We've seen this happen over and over again.

People flee centrally planned economies to freer economies. Biden wasn't offering support, he was offering a warning. These are the types of things you will do if you want to be left alone. No one wants to become the next Amazon and be the face of greed and mistreatment etc.


Well said :clap:
Smoothshot555
Ballboy
Posts: 23
And1: 34
Joined: Feb 26, 2021

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#259 » by Smoothshot555 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:37 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:Competing ideologies are not created equal. What we have going on right now is a battle between what America was founded on, which is the rights of individuals to rule their own lives...

How was America founded on the right of individuals to rule their own lives if the founding fathers owned slaves to whom they allowed no rights and the country spent hundreds of years denying certain people basic human rights? I don’t know what’s worse; the fact that there are still people that repeat blatant lies like this in 2021 or that there are people who still take such statements at face value because they themselves don’t count slaves as “individuals” (or humans with rights) which was the same thing that the founding fathers did. Disappointed but not surprised.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 56,607
And1: 21,024
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#260 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:46 pm

BDE wrote:It absolutely comes from the Left side of said spectrum (how others are debating that is laughable). There is a strong form of censorship starting to creep into mainstream media - wide out in the open - MY opinion.

One other poster will send a bunch of left-wing links "proving" me wrong and make some rude remarks, etc. Same cycle, over and over. Because - just like Cancel Culture (for lack of a better term;), if you dont agree with something, it MUST be wrong, right?


I believe that’s my cue!

If you’re going to ask how others are even debating something without bothering to read anything they say, that’s a little disingenuous, no?

Anyway, you can head back up a little to read any of the links here. if you’re actually interested in why people might think you are wrong about “cancel culture”. I can point you in a whole bunch of other directions too if you’d like to read about more attacks on free speech and cancelations coming from the right. Turns out there’s a whole lot out there! But if you’re just arguing in bad faith, don’t worry about it I guess.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.

Return to Toronto Raptors