ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#61 » by SharoneWright » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:00 am

Mikistan wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
again - what exactly does it mean in the context of Pierce and ESPN

Sure. Pierce’s first mistake was to remember that the left carved out its position on women’s liberation, sexual promiscuity, and female empowerment by promoting overt sexual expressions as power and empowerment.

His rather more important with mistake was to believe there was a universal standard to be applied. He (as a cis male) is no longer permitted to promote these ideas just three weeks after ABC celebrated “women ruling the night” at the Grammy’s after Cardi B’s sex show. Cardi can. He can’t.

uh huh, and you dont think it might have something to do with Pierce not wearing a mask, as a house gathering where there are clearly quite a lot of people not in his bubble?

you really think that? it's Women's History Month!! :P

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/03/celebrate-her-story-at-disney-springs-in-honor-of-womens-history-month/

So, you tell me. Is Disney "virtue signalling" or are they putting their money where their mouth is,, or both. Disney is about Mulan now. Not Jessica Rabbit or Pepe Le Pew. Which is fine. But nobody told Paul.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#62 » by beanbag » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:15 am

SharoneWright wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
Sure. Pierce’s first mistake was to remember that the left carved out its position on women’s liberation, sexual promiscuity, and female empowerment by promoting overt sexual expressions as power and empowerment.

His rather more important with mistake was to believe there was a universal standard to be applied. He (as a cis male) is no longer permitted to promote these ideas just three weeks after ABC celebrated “women ruling the night” at the Grammy’s after Cardi B’s sex show. Cardi can. He can’t.

uh huh, and you dont think it might have something to do with Pierce not wearing a mask, as a house gathering where there are clearly quite a lot of people not in his bubble?

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/03/celebrate-her-story-at-disney-springs-in-honor-of-womens-history-month/

So, you tell me. Is Disney "virtue signalling" or are they putting their money where their mouth is,, or both. Disney is about Mulan now. Not Jessica Rabbit or Pepe Le Pew. Which is fine. But nobody told Paul.

Ah yes, Disney executives. Truly a bastion of woke leftism.

LMAO
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,755

Post#63 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:16 am

2019nbachamps wrote:This has nothing to do with leftism or cancel culture.

Dude recorded himself doing drugs, having fun with strippers, and inviting women over in exchange for money.

Dude was high and drunk and lacked common sense. It was just poor judgment and embarrassing for his employer. ESPN has a ton of on air personalities and had to send a message to make sure they all stay in line.

It would be like one of us behaving the same way and then our employers catching wind of it on social media. Maybe nothing illegal was done but it doesn’t meet the basic code of conduct set by employers. Given these guys have public profiles I wouldn’t even be surprised if ESPN has clauses in their contracts that give them cause to dismiss employees in instances such as these.

^ This

I mean, the original post in the thread called it. He's a moron.

Personally, I think ESPN jumped at the opportunity to replace him with a better on-air personality. Dude was just painful and awkward.
Ref_from_hell
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,712

Post#64 » by Ref_from_hell » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:23 am

beanbag wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
Mikistan wrote:uh huh, and you dont think it might have something to do with Pierce not wearing a mask, as a house gathering where there are clearly quite a lot of people not in his bubble?

LMAO

Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#65 » by Kurtz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:27 am

Ref_from_hell wrote:
beanbag wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:

LMAO

You are having a lot of trouble trying to express yourself.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#66 » by SharoneWright » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:29 am

Ref_from_hell wrote:

bwahahaha. epic mic drop.. (it's like people don't know who bob Iger is.)

Edit. Disney is literally cancelling it's own cartoons. And people are sneering at the idea of the left/wokeism eating itself. :confused:
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,527

Re: OT: Paul Pierce 

Post#67 » by Jcity08 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:49 am

YelloC wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Ref_from_hell wrote:Shouldn't be long before the virtue signal cancel culture twitter get him. There's always somebody who claims to be offended.

Virtue signal cancel culture. Is that supposed to be meaningful as social critique? Sounds like urban dictionary bullsht.

There’s far worse things to signal than virtue. Such a lazy catch-all term for people that can’t articulate their thoughts. In my experience, people who promote virtuous things are generally the ones that also do them.

I think the issue is not with being virtuous, its with those who need to be acknowledged by their online peers just how virtuous they are, whether or not they actually believe in whatever they are preaching, its the seeking of validation by going to greater amd greater lengths to show how much of a moral crusader you are and how above the fray you are. Digging up tweets from 15 years ago when someone was in highschool, catching someone on a bad day making an off colour comment....ect... and try to cancel there ass and hope everyone notices how virtuous you are. These are just examples of course, being virtuous is great but if you seek validation for it, Im probably going to call out sus.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#68 » by bballsparkin » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:54 am

No love loss for Pierce. Plus he's lousy at his job. People saying he "was doing drugs". Do they mean smoking weed or was he lining up lol
beanbag
Analyst

Post#69 » by beanbag » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:55 am

SharoneWright wrote:
Ref_from_hell wrote:

Edit. Disney is literally cancelling it's own cartoons. And people are sneering at the idea of the left/wokeism eating itself. :confused:

So, if the canceling is not being done by leftists, it's still left/wokeism?
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#70 » by SharoneWright » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:03 am

beanbag wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
Ref_from_hell wrote:

But Pierce was cancelled by ESPN. A company that has been bleeding ratings for becoming to leftist/political. I appreciate the hypothetical, but…

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/how-a-weakened-espn-became-consumed-by-politics-1527176425

Eventually, ESPN even had to cancel Jemele Hill. Just prove the point. Not about ESPN being left (which is obvious and well documented), but about ESPN eating itself. Pour another one out for Jemele Hill!
beanbag
Analyst

Post#71 » by beanbag » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:01 am

SharoneWright wrote:
beanbag wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:

But Pierce was cancelled by ESPN. A company that has been bleeding ratings for becoming to leftist/political. I appreciate the hypothetical, but…

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/how-a-weakened-espn-became-consumed-by-politics-1527176425

Eventually, ESPN even had to cancel Jemele Hill. Just prove the point. Not about ESPN being left (which is obvious and well documented), but about ESPN eating itself. Pour another one out for Jemele Hill!

So, that article is behind a paywall. How is ESPN firing Jemele Hill an example of what you are arguing?

If anything, it proves there are consequences no matter what side of the argument you fall under.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,039

Post#72 » by ItsDanger » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:22 am

No surprise, DIS is the owner. He was anti Raps anyways.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,132

Post#73 » by billy_hoyle » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:23 am

beanbag wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
beanbag wrote:

So, that article is behind a paywall. How is ESPN firing Jemele Hill an example of what you are arguing?

If anything, it proves there are consequences no matter what side of the argument you fall under.

Ummm isn't that what he means? I think his metaphor of the left eating itself is pretty apt.

I'm left, and there are just too many instances these days where I'm saying 'that's not my left'.

I think this is what the right wing must have felt with some of their right wing conspiracy talking heads (Rush Limbaugh etc.), or their evangelicals.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,576

Post#74 » by mdenny » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:24 am

I have no idea what's going on here. Is it possible Peirce orchestrated this because he didnt want to work anymore and wanted to get bought out? I guess if he was fired he doesn't take any money though. But can we confirm that Pierce wasn't paid out?
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#75 » by SharoneWright » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:33 am

A very short tolerance for free speech. ESPN is allowed to be leftist. It's their right. But they sure know how to mute voices when they offend. The best answer for controversial ideas amongst the left seems not to be more speech or tolerance, but conformity/orthodoxy. Don't paint outside the lines. To the extent that this is a business decision, God bless. It's your company. But then don't ever try to be edgy or hip or woke with me. It's enough to have to ingest your politics, but then to realize you're also insincere, it becomes a little too much. Just give me the news.
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,489

Re: OT: Paul Pierce 

Post#76 » by YelloC » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:39 am

Jcity08 wrote:
YelloC wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Virtue signal cancel culture. Is that supposed to be meaningful as social critique? Sounds like urban dictionary bullsht.

There’s far worse things to signal than virtue. Such a lazy catch-all term for people that can’t articulate their thoughts. In my experience, people who promote virtuous things are generally the ones that also do them.

I think the issue is not with being virtuous, its with those who need to be acknowledged by their online peers just how virtuous they are, whether or not they actually believe in whatever they are preaching, its the seeking of validation by going to greater amd greater lengths to show how much of a moral crusader you are and how above the fray you are. Digging up tweets from 15 years ago when someone was in highschool, catching someone on a bad day making an off colour comment....ect... and try to cancel there ass and hope everyone notices how virtuous you are. These are just examples of course, being virtuous is great but if you seek validation for it, Im probably going to call out sus.

This seems more like Espn was looking for reason to get rid of him and this was a convenient time and situation.
I haven’t heard or read about anyone praising Pierce for apt analysis. I personally find him annoying but some of it is Raptors bias.
In broadcasting you usually have to be funny or smart or both and Paul Pierce is neither.
The only thing I find kind of hypocritical is when they’ll have former players that are/were known “Bad Boys” as commentators. If it’s already part of your image than it’s fine but you can’t add it to your image at a later age.
If it was Kenny or Ernie or Chuck it would be different because they are actually good at what they do. Being bad at your job usually has an effect on job security. The better you are, the more you’ll get away with.
beanbag
Analyst

Post#77 » by beanbag » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:15 am

billy_hoyle wrote:
beanbag wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:

Ummm isn't that what he means? I think his metaphor of the left eating itself is pretty apt.

I'm left, and there are just too many instances these days where I'm saying 'that's not my left'.

I think this is what the right wing must have felt with some of their right wing conspiracy talking heads (Rush Limbaugh etc.), or their evangelicals.

But the left isn't eating itself. Rich executives who are making these decisions aren't "left" by any definition. If anything these decisions are made to avoid losing sponsors.
Yorkz
Junior
And1: 137

Post#78 » by Yorkz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:54 am

SharoneWright wrote:A very short tolerance for free speech. ESPN is allowed to be leftist. It's their right. But they sure know how to mute voices when they offend. The best answer for controversial ideas amongst the left seems not to be more speech or tolerance, but conformity/orthodoxy. Don't paint outside the lines. To the extent that this is a business decision, God bless. It's your company. But then don't ever try to be edgy or hip or woke with me. It's enough to have to ingest your politics, but then to realize you're also insincere, it becomes a little too much. Just give me the news.

ESPN was paying him to be a Brand ambassador which includes promoting a family friendly image. PP associating with strippers,weed and swearing doesn't fit with that and that's why ESPN let him go. I suppose ESPN/NBA could be accused of hypocrisy for lecturing us to be more tolerant through their marketing campaigns while still firing him but that's hardly exclusive to left wingers.
It's quite likely that the negative portrayal of women, disrespecting family values etc. that he shared
also angered those with conservative values.
Many were offended by him, not just the left.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#79 » by SharoneWright » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:59 am

beanbag wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
beanbag wrote:

But the left isn't eating itself. Rich executives who are making these decisions aren't "left" by any definition. If anything these decisions are made to avoid losing sponsors.

Well Bob Iger was considering a run for President in 2020 as a Democrat. He was a main cog in Hillary's fund raising machine. He's cancelling his own company's cartoons due to political correctness. So, I'm not sure if that is "left" by any definition.. but probably by almost every definition. And I'd wager MOST Disney stock is held by left to centre-left citizens. Some of them are very rich. Being rich doesn't make you a right-winger. Most conservatives shop at Walmart. That's where they used to buy Peter Pan and The Jungle Book. And I'm guessing Boon Pickens doesn't hold a lot of Disney stock.
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#80 » by LastNameEver » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:11 pm

Im glad hes gone, TMac needs to go as well and then we’re square

Return to Toronto Raptors