ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, 7 Footer, Rhettmatic, niQ, Patman, pbj, Alfred

billy_hoyle
Senior
Posts: 516
And1: 176
Joined: Jun 16, 2008

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1201 » by billy_hoyle » Tue May 4, 2021 8:50 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:The midrange is basically dead so offense from that spot is going to be low, especially in the g league with pro coaches.

Green, as a teenager playing against men in the gleague, was a very efficient scorer and posted a higher TS% than Cade who was playing against college boys.


Because Cade was gaurded by 2-3 players at nearly all times, Green wasn't even the first option in the G league
Green and Kuminga were used as the top 2 options and had very similar usage rates.

Green posted a 613 TS% while Kuminga posted a .497 TS%.

Green had one of the best teenage seasons in d/g league history.


I'm curious. What are the other best teenage d/g league seasons? Did those guys translate well to the pros?

Easier for me to compare what Cade did in the NCAA; he looked like a future star.

I'm not as well versed with the g-league thing... It was basically the first time 5 star draft picks (projected top 10 picks) chose the g league instead of the NCAA (from what I understand).

To me, D1 exposes some of these prospects. Zaire and BJ Boston are examples of this. Guys that were in the discussion for top 5 picks prior to the season, but because we have a baseline of thousands of freshman D1 seasons you can make a pretty good comparison and project what these guys might become. Now they are mid first and 2nd round picks. I'd argue BJ has more in common with busts like Perry Jones III etc.
StringerBell
Starter
Posts: 2,225
And1: 1,756
Joined: Apr 29, 2007

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1202 » by StringerBell » Tue May 4, 2021 8:51 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
StringerBell wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
The elite D of Mitchell is really truly the BPA scenario so projecting 5 years out is hard to do. In the here and now Mitchell is a better player than both Bouknight and Johnson. The question is will Raps pick BPA like their last 9th pick or will they project some 905 development and hope they can develop yet another +20 mil player. They have to be feeling very confident about development.


Individual man defense from the PG position is overstated IMO with all the PNR play and switching NBA teams do nowadays. So while he may be a good NBA defender, don't think his defense will be so elite at the next level to override his weaknesses in other areas(offensive limitations, size, athleticism), at least to the point where he the is obvious bpa at 9. He may be, but it ain't by much. And to be honest it won't even take a 905 stint for either Johnson or Bouknight to become nba contributors.

Given the Raps drafted a PG last year and the big contract they gave Freddy, it would really shock me if they drafted another PG, especially one who doesn't really have the tools to be a lead guard.


He's not a point guard. Natural two guard.


Offensively he's probably a combo guard who would on most nights be assigned to guard nba PG's. Lillards, Morant, CP, Fox, Sexton, Rozier etc.

So they'd have 2 combo guards in FVV and Mitchell, neither of whom have shown to be great pnr players.
Dalek
Head Coach
Posts: 6,684
And1: 4,758
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Location: back to the basket
 

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1203 » by Dalek » Tue May 4, 2021 8:52 pm

Indeed wrote:
Dalek wrote:Does anyone see Davion Mitchell as a Lowry type of prospect?

-Possibly the quickest burst in the draft with his ability to get to the rim without screens; watching film it surprised me how much he would reject a screen and with a slow to fast transition he would get to the rim with ease
-He had the quick pull-up, step-back package of perimeter shots with deep range
-Elite POA defense with a fairly stocky build

Overall, I like him because he is a fast processor like Lowry. He shared a backcourt with another PG in Jared Butler and it worked really well. Toronto is always going to be a guard oriented offense and Mitchell fits extremely well because he defends and can play off ball. He's such a high floor guy that people almost neglect to notice that he was probably the best two-way player in college basketball next to Mobley.


I always think Mitchell is Lowry lite. But Lowry passing and court vision are amount the elites.
I think the workout may understand more about his concerns regarding his shooting (form) being consistent enough, and also his passing. I think Baylor does not have a PnR big, more with postup big, so there is not many opportunity in understand his ability to dish. Kickout to the corner 3 maybe a system thing, maybe that can be reviewed during workout.


I don't think he will be like Flynn who is more nuanced in how to run pick and roll and knows how to snake the pick and roll or find last second seam to make his pass to a roller. I just see that Mitchell has a gravity on court. You have to respect his speed to get by you, but also he is a 45% shooter. That is really hard to defend so his passing lanes open based on more reactive plays as teams try to contain him. He will be a guy who does pass out to shooters, but also one who will make shovel passes to bigs at the rim. Speed like his is pretty unique for Toronto. We don't have that type of player currently.
mademan
RealGM
Posts: 21,148
And1: 19,182
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1204 » by mademan » Tue May 4, 2021 8:53 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
mademan wrote:Davion Mitchell reminds me a lot of his namesake, Donovan Mitchell. Both are undersized 2 guards who can play a little bigger than they are, explosive, strong defense with a wet jumpshot. You can do worse than Mitchell, imo. You know this drafts nice when Mitchell might drop to late lotto (but so did the other Mitchell)

Tho i think Davion Mitchell has a higher ceiling than Donovan. Seems like he has better vision/playmaking/PG instincts and can play bigger than Donovan as well


Huh how sway?? Really I haven't paid much attn to him because I simply lothe undersize SG prospects now. How big/small is Davion Mitchell?? Play bigger than Donovon? How big is Davion??

Am i underselling Davion or are you guys over selling him, because Donovon Mitchell goes #1 in this draft class for sure


Donovan is only 6'. Most people dont actually realize that because he's able to guard most 2's with no problem (and he also has Gobert behind him). Davion is 6'2, but he's built like a tank while retaining his explosion. I honestly think his defensive comparison is closer to Marcus Smart than Donovan Mitchell. You should watch some vids on him. Whoever gets him past like 9 or 10 is gonna get a steal, no doubt
User avatar
OakleyDokely
RealGM
Posts: 18,592
And1: 39,477
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: 416
 

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1205 » by OakleyDokely » Tue May 4, 2021 8:55 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Because Cade was gaurded by 2-3 players at nearly all times, Green wasn't even the first option in the G league
Green and Kuminga were used as the top 2 options and had very similar usage rates.

Green posted a 613 TS% while Kuminga posted a .497 TS%.

Green had one of the best teenage seasons in d/g league history.


Green's USG was closer to Isaiah Todd's than Kumingas also very far from Cade (22 USG vs 29), if you go back and watch, Kuminga nearly always touches the ball first, Green was used as a spacer. handoff, secondary handler type,

and I'm not denying Green is a great prospect which is kind of what this turning into but I don't think he's close to Cade, which says more about Cade than Green imo

USG:
Kuminga: 24.5
Green: 23.4

Shot Attempts Per 36:
Kuminga: 15.7
Green: 15.3

They were very similar.

Im not even comparing Cade to Green as prospects, I'm just.saying Green will be a better scorer at the NBA level.
User avatar
OakleyDokely
RealGM
Posts: 18,592
And1: 39,477
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: 416
 

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1206 » by OakleyDokely » Tue May 4, 2021 9:02 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Because Cade was gaurded by 2-3 players at nearly all times, Green wasn't even the first option in the G league
Green and Kuminga were used as the top 2 options and had very similar usage rates.

Green posted a 613 TS% while Kuminga posted a .497 TS%.

Green had one of the best teenage seasons in d/g league history.

That probably says more about Kuminga. The Gleague is not a defensive league, and those men are few and far between. It's a lot of 24-25 year olds or guys that came out too early. It's more of an open run game, guys are there to put up numbers and get 10 days. Like, Henry Ellenson was a starting C in the Gleague. Even success stories like Freddie Gillespie and Moses Brown are completely out of their depth when they try and guard out of the paint.


Dominating the gleague at a young age is usually a good sign for a young guy. You're always going to have those 24/25 year olds that dominate but you know it doesn't mean as much given their age/experience.

Maybe it's just me, but i feel more comfortable with a prospect who shows they belong in the gleague or europe because playing against professionals is a different animal than college ball.
StringerBell
Starter
Posts: 2,225
And1: 1,756
Joined: Apr 29, 2007

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1207 » by StringerBell » Tue May 4, 2021 9:08 pm

mademan wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
mademan wrote:Davion Mitchell reminds me a lot of his namesake, Donovan Mitchell. Both are undersized 2 guards who can play a little bigger than they are, explosive, strong defense with a wet jumpshot. You can do worse than Mitchell, imo. You know this drafts nice when Mitchell might drop to late lotto (but so did the other Mitchell)

Tho i think Davion Mitchell has a higher ceiling than Donovan. Seems like he has better vision/playmaking/PG instincts and can play bigger than Donovan as well


Huh how sway?? Really I haven't paid much attn to him because I simply lothe undersize SG prospects now. How big/small is Davion Mitchell?? Play bigger than Donovon? How big is Davion??

Am i underselling Davion or are you guys over selling him, because Donovon Mitchell goes #1 in this draft class for sure


Donovan is only 6'. Most people dont actually realize that because he's able to guard most 2's with no problem (and he also has Gobert behind him). Davion is 6'2, but he's built like a tank while retaining his explosion. I honestly think his defensive comparison is closer to Marcus Smart than Donovan Mitchell. You should watch some vids on him. Whoever gets him past like 9 or 10 is gonna get a steal, no doubt


But Donovan has like a 6-8.5" wingspan. Davion's is 6-3 to 6-5 depending on where you look. Do you think Davion has the ball skills Donovan had coming out of college?
mademan
RealGM
Posts: 21,148
And1: 19,182
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1208 » by mademan » Tue May 4, 2021 9:19 pm

StringerBell wrote:
mademan wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
Huh how sway?? Really I haven't paid much attn to him because I simply lothe undersize SG prospects now. How big/small is Davion Mitchell?? Play bigger than Donovon? How big is Davion??

Am i underselling Davion or are you guys over selling him, because Donovon Mitchell goes #1 in this draft class for sure


Donovan is only 6'. Most people dont actually realize that because he's able to guard most 2's with no problem (and he also has Gobert behind him). Davion is 6'2, but he's built like a tank while retaining his explosion. I honestly think his defensive comparison is closer to Marcus Smart than Donovan Mitchell. You should watch some vids on him. Whoever gets him past like 9 or 10 is gonna get a steal, no doubt


But Donovan has like a 6-8.5" wingspan. Davion's is 6-3 to 6-5 depending on where you look. Do you think Davion has the ball skills Donovan had coming out of college?


Donovan fell, not only cause of his size, but because teams thought he didnt have much upside. He was pegged as being NBA ready when he was drafted, tho a lot of teams thought NBA ready meant he'd be a bench scorer or something along those lines.

I think Donovan was a more refined scorer coming out, but Davion seems to be more well rounded. Like i said, Davion has better point guard instincts/playmaking than Mitchell had in college, and while Donovan has better measurements, Davion has Smart like defensive tenacity to him. The big question for Davion is gonna be if his shooting is sustainable. He's one of those rare guys who shot exceptionally well from 3 but poorly from FT's, which indicates he's not really a pure shooter. And this was the only season he actually shot well from 3. But if his shooting translates, then he has star potential, imo
StringerBell
Starter
Posts: 2,225
And1: 1,756
Joined: Apr 29, 2007

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1209 » by StringerBell » Tue May 4, 2021 9:37 pm

mademan wrote:
StringerBell wrote:
mademan wrote:
Donovan is only 6'. Most people dont actually realize that because he's able to guard most 2's with no problem (and he also has Gobert behind him). Davion is 6'2, but he's built like a tank while retaining his explosion. I honestly think his defensive comparison is closer to Marcus Smart than Donovan Mitchell. You should watch some vids on him. Whoever gets him past like 9 or 10 is gonna get a steal, no doubt


But Donovan has like a 6-8.5" wingspan. Davion's is 6-3 to 6-5 depending on where you look. Do you think Davion has the ball skills Donovan had coming out of college?


Donovan fell, not only cause of his size, but because teams thought he didnt have much upside. He was pegged as being NBA ready when he was drafted, tho a lot of teams thought NBA ready meant he'd be a bench scorer or something along those lines.

I think Donovan was a more refined scorer coming out, but Davion seems to be more well rounded. Like i said, Davion has better point guard instincts/playmaking than Mitchell had in college, and while Donovan has better measurements, Davion has Smart like defensive tenacity to him. The big question for Davion is gonna be if his shooting is sustainable. He's one of those rare guys who shot exceptionally well from 3 but poorly from FT's, which indicates he's not really a pure shooter. And this was the only season he actually shot well from 3. But if his shooting translates, then he has star potential, imo


Fair enough. I just don't think he has the ball skills to be that level a scorer or playmaker in the nba. Coming out of college Donovan Mitchell already had crossover and step back 3's, the ability to drive and finish with his right AND left, splitting pnrs, floater game - was basically able to create his own shot anywhere on the floor. Davion does have better court vision is more limited at this point in that he relies on straight line drives, going left and not being able to finish like Donovan. We'll see how he develops.
mademan
RealGM
Posts: 21,148
And1: 19,182
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1210 » by mademan » Tue May 4, 2021 10:19 pm

StringerBell wrote:
mademan wrote:
StringerBell wrote:
But Donovan has like a 6-8.5" wingspan. Davion's is 6-3 to 6-5 depending on where you look. Do you think Davion has the ball skills Donovan had coming out of college?


Donovan fell, not only cause of his size, but because teams thought he didnt have much upside. He was pegged as being NBA ready when he was drafted, tho a lot of teams thought NBA ready meant he'd be a bench scorer or something along those lines.

I think Donovan was a more refined scorer coming out, but Davion seems to be more well rounded. Like i said, Davion has better point guard instincts/playmaking than Mitchell had in college, and while Donovan has better measurements, Davion has Smart like defensive tenacity to him. The big question for Davion is gonna be if his shooting is sustainable. He's one of those rare guys who shot exceptionally well from 3 but poorly from FT's, which indicates he's not really a pure shooter. And this was the only season he actually shot well from 3. But if his shooting translates, then he has star potential, imo


Fair enough. I just don't think he has the ball skills to be that level a scorer or playmaker in the nba. Coming out of college Donovan Mitchell already had crossover and step back 3's, the ability to drive and finish with his right AND left, splitting pnrs, floater game - was basically able to create his own shot anywhere on the floor. Davion does have better court vision is more limited at this point in that he relies on straight line drives, going left and not being able to finish like Donovan. We'll see how he develops.


He's explosive off the bounce and can shoot off a pull up and while moving. No telling how he'll develop, but those initial tools have all the makings of a strong half court scorer (if his shooting is sustainable, which i do think is a reasonable ? to have)
User avatar
Psubs
RealGM
Posts: 11,783
And1: 7,662
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1211 » by Psubs » Tue May 4, 2021 10:32 pm

mademan wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
mademan wrote:Davion Mitchell reminds me a lot of his namesake, Donovan Mitchell. Both are undersized 2 guards who can play a little bigger than they are, explosive, strong defense with a wet jumpshot. You can do worse than Mitchell, imo. You know this drafts nice when Mitchell might drop to late lotto (but so did the other Mitchell)

Tho i think Davion Mitchell has a higher ceiling than Donovan. Seems like he has better vision/playmaking/PG instincts and can play bigger than Donovan as well


Huh how sway?? Really I haven't paid much attn to him because I simply lothe undersize SG prospects now. How big/small is Davion Mitchell?? Play bigger than Donovon? How big is Davion??

Am i underselling Davion or are you guys over selling him, because Donovon Mitchell goes #1 in this draft class for sure


Donovan is only 6'. Most people dont actually realize that because he's able to guard most 2's with no problem (and he also has Gobert behind him). Davion is 6'2, but he's built like a tank while retaining his explosion. I honestly think his defensive comparison is closer to Marcus Smart than Donovan Mitchell. You should watch some vids on him. Whoever gets him past like 9 or 10 is gonna get a steal, no doubt


Donovan is 6'1 at least which is his listed height. I though he was 6'3 but after the NBA remeasured I guess he's 6'1 without shoes.
Image
User avatar
Indeed
RealGM
Posts: 16,075
And1: 1,387
Joined: Aug 21, 2009

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1212 » by Indeed » Tue May 4, 2021 10:46 pm

mademan wrote:
StringerBell wrote:
mademan wrote:
Donovan fell, not only cause of his size, but because teams thought he didnt have much upside. He was pegged as being NBA ready when he was drafted, tho a lot of teams thought NBA ready meant he'd be a bench scorer or something along those lines.

I think Donovan was a more refined scorer coming out, but Davion seems to be more well rounded. Like i said, Davion has better point guard instincts/playmaking than Mitchell had in college, and while Donovan has better measurements, Davion has Smart like defensive tenacity to him. The big question for Davion is gonna be if his shooting is sustainable. He's one of those rare guys who shot exceptionally well from 3 but poorly from FT's, which indicates he's not really a pure shooter. And this was the only season he actually shot well from 3. But if his shooting translates, then he has star potential, imo


Fair enough. I just don't think he has the ball skills to be that level a scorer or playmaker in the nba. Coming out of college Donovan Mitchell already had crossover and step back 3's, the ability to drive and finish with his right AND left, splitting pnrs, floater game - was basically able to create his own shot anywhere on the floor. Davion does have better court vision is more limited at this point in that he relies on straight line drives, going left and not being able to finish like Donovan. We'll see how he develops.


He's explosive off the bounce and can shoot off a pull up and while moving. No telling how he'll develop, but those initial tools have all the makings of a strong half court scorer (if his shooting is sustainable, which i do think is a reasonable ? to have)


I think Davion showed hesitation moves in his previous years. I think we will find out more from workout to understand if he can operate in the PnR environment, and how is his ability to play the Point with court vision and passing.

Meanwhile, he will not able to finish like Donovan due to a much shorter wingspan, which is why his success will determine by his passing. And if he can play the Point, I think he will be a very good partner to VanVleet. As I feel him playing with Butler shows how well he plays with another PG or combo guard.

Nevertheless, our needs is more than replacing Lowry. I think we were expecting Giannis, and both Barnes and Kai Jones share some similarity to Giannis. Barnes who is a defensive stud who plays the point forward role, but without the athleticism of shot blocking/finishing. Kai Jones handles the ball in transition and being very athletic, but without the passing and basketball IQ. So we have choices.
User avatar
Indeed
RealGM
Posts: 16,075
And1: 1,387
Joined: Aug 21, 2009

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1213 » by Indeed » Tue May 4, 2021 10:47 pm

Psubs wrote:
mademan wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
Huh how sway?? Really I haven't paid much attn to him because I simply lothe undersize SG prospects now. How big/small is Davion Mitchell?? Play bigger than Donovon? How big is Davion??

Am i underselling Davion or are you guys over selling him, because Donovon Mitchell goes #1 in this draft class for sure


Donovan is only 6'. Most people dont actually realize that because he's able to guard most 2's with no problem (and he also has Gobert behind him). Davion is 6'2, but he's built like a tank while retaining his explosion. I honestly think his defensive comparison is closer to Marcus Smart than Donovan Mitchell. You should watch some vids on him. Whoever gets him past like 9 or 10 is gonna get a steal, no doubt


Donovan is 6'1 at least which is his listed height. I though he was 6'3 but after the NBA remeasured I guess he's 6'1 without shoes.


Wingspan makes him able to guard SG (6'8 or 6'10), while Davion only has average PG wingspan (6'5 or 6'6)
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
Posts: 31,004
And1: 14,973
Joined: Apr 28, 2008

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1214 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue May 4, 2021 11:02 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Because Cade was gaurded by 2-3 players at nearly all times, Green wasn't even the first option in the G league
Green and Kuminga were used as the top 2 options and had very similar usage rates.

Green posted a 613 TS% while Kuminga posted a .497 TS%.

Green had one of the best teenage seasons in d/g league history.

That probably says more about Kuminga. The Gleague is not a defensive league, and those men are few and far between. It's a lot of 24-25 year olds or guys that came out too early. It's more of an open run game, guys are there to put up numbers and get 10 days. Like, Henry Ellenson was a starting C in the Gleague. Even success stories like Freddie Gillespie and Moses Brown are completely out of their depth when they try and guard out of the paint.


Dominating the gleague at a young age is usually a good sign for a young guy. You're always going to have those 24/25 year olds that dominate but you know it doesn't mean as much given their age/experience.

Maybe it's just me, but i feel more comfortable with a prospect who shows they belong in the gleague or europe because playing against professionals is a different animal than college ball.


Yes, but the Gleague is closer to China-level defensive nothingness. It's not the same as playing in some of the European leagues or Australia. The money sucks. There might be a few NBA prospects on each team, but usually not the good ones. Guys play for numbers. Obviously it's good that Green scored well and was efficient, but it's not hard to. He still has to show he's a threat to get the the rim consistently in the halfcourt to be labelled as a special scorer, and then he has to prove he can make more than basic reads to be a pure first option.
Mark_83
Veteran
Posts: 2,502
And1: 1,959
Joined: Jun 26, 2008

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1215 » by Mark_83 » Tue May 4, 2021 11:22 pm

So many interesting players in the second round we can consider.

Johnny Juzang SG
Scottie Lewis, SG
Joel Ayayi, SG

Kessler Edwards, SF
Isaiah Livers, SF
Herbert Jones, SF
Marcus Bagley, SF

Isaiah Todd, PF
Charles Bassey, PF
Filip Petrusev, PF
RaiQuan Gray, PF

Ariel Hukporti, C
Neemias Queta, C
User avatar
Indeed
RealGM
Posts: 16,075
And1: 1,387
Joined: Aug 21, 2009

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1216 » by Indeed » Tue May 4, 2021 11:36 pm

Mark_83 wrote:So many interesting players in the second round we can consider.

Johnny Juzang SG
Scottie Lewis, SG
Joel Ayayi, SG

Kessler Edwards, SF
Isaiah Livers, SF
Herbert Jones, SF
Marcus Bagley, SF

Isaiah Todd, PF
Charles Bassey, PF
Filip Petrusev, PF
RaiQuan Gray, PF

Ariel Hukporti, C
Neemias Queta, C


RaiQuan Gray plays SF and handles the ball, while teammate Scottie Barnes plays PF.
Someone also mentioned Ron Harper Jr SG, who I think may get some consideration.
And Quentin Grimes has been raised up a bit after the tournament.
Chris Smith SF is recovering from ACL maybe another option
Derrick Alston Jr SF is another player I would look at.
Dalek
Head Coach
Posts: 6,684
And1: 4,758
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Location: back to the basket
 

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1217 » by Dalek » Tue May 4, 2021 11:48 pm

Indeed wrote:
Psubs wrote:
mademan wrote:
Donovan is only 6'. Most people dont actually realize that because he's able to guard most 2's with no problem (and he also has Gobert behind him). Davion is 6'2, but he's built like a tank while retaining his explosion. I honestly think his defensive comparison is closer to Marcus Smart than Donovan Mitchell. You should watch some vids on him. Whoever gets him past like 9 or 10 is gonna get a steal, no doubt


Donovan is 6'1 at least which is his listed height. I though he was 6'3 but after the NBA remeasured I guess he's 6'1 without shoes.


Wingspan makes him able to guard SG (6'8 or 6'10), while Davion only has average PG wingspan (6'5 or 6'6)


Likely Davion Mitchell has around a 6'4" to 6'5" wingspan which is not in the range of guys like Donovan Mitchell (6'10") or Marcus Smart (6'9"). To me, from a size perspective he is about Jalen Brunson like who only has a 6'4" wingspan.

To me it is somewhat irrelevant because Toronto has had a top third defense with Lowry and FVV who both have below average wingspans. Mitchell is as Mike Schmidt put it, the "top defender he has ever evaluated." Mitchell has great feet and positioning and a strong body and hands that are going to get steals and deflections. He is going to be a bigger version of Lowry and might actually do a passable job of filling those shoes if he can translate the shot over. ESPN has him at 8 so there definitely are fans of his game.
User avatar
Indeed
RealGM
Posts: 16,075
And1: 1,387
Joined: Aug 21, 2009

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1218 » by Indeed » Tue May 4, 2021 11:54 pm

Dalek wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Donovan is 6'1 at least which is his listed height. I though he was 6'3 but after the NBA remeasured I guess he's 6'1 without shoes.


Wingspan makes him able to guard SG (6'8 or 6'10), while Davion only has average PG wingspan (6'5 or 6'6)


Likely Davion Mitchell has around a 6'4" to 6'5" wingspan which is not in the range of guys like Donovan Mitchell (6'10") or Marcus Smart (6'9"). To me, from a size perspective he is about Jalen Brunson like who only has a 6'4" wingspan.

To me it is somewhat irrelevant because Toronto has had a top third defense with Lowry and FVV who both have below average wingspans. Mitchell is as Mike Schmidt put it, the "top defender he has ever evaluated." Mitchell has great feet and positioning and a strong body and hands that are going to get steals and deflections. He is going to be a bigger version of Lowry and might actually do a passable job of filling those shoes if he can translate the shot over. ESPN has him at 8 so there definitely are fans of his game.


To me it would be his elite quickness and size to get to where he wants, as I feel forwards are more impactful on the defensive end. I prefer to measure guards on their potential on offense with average defense, while I will have forwards balance both end, and bigs will be primarily defense with stretch potential.
Dalek
Head Coach
Posts: 6,684
And1: 4,758
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Location: back to the basket
 

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1219 » by Dalek » Yesterday 12:16 am

Indeed wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:So many interesting players in the second round we can consider.

Johnny Juzang SG
Scottie Lewis, SG
Joel Ayayi, SG

Kessler Edwards, SF
Isaiah Livers, SF
Herbert Jones, SF
Marcus Bagley, SF

Isaiah Todd, PF
Charles Bassey, PF
Filip Petrusev, PF
RaiQuan Gray, PF

Ariel Hukporti, C
Neemias Queta, C


RaiQuan Gray plays SF and handles the ball, while teammate Scottie Barnes plays PF.
Someone also mentioned Ron Harper Jr SG, who I think may get some consideration.
And Quentin Grimes has been raised up a bit after the tournament.
Chris Smith SF is recovering from ACL maybe another option
Derrick Alston Jr SF is another player I would look at.


Looking at things a little differently, but here are the second rounders to add to the list (bolded a few favorites from this group):

Scorer
Bones Hyland next Jamal Crawford
Deuce McBride

Offball shooter
Trey Murphy 50/40/90 splits
Jordan Schakel

Big guard playmaker
David Johnson

3 and D
AJ Lawson (Canadian only 20 YO) - I'd love to get this guy on the 905. Freak athlete!

Stretch Big
Filip Petrusev Elite shooting in Balkans
JT Thor
Sandro Mamu
Jay Huff

Switch Big
Yoan Makoundou Usman lite

Trad C
Ibou Badji Rudy like 7'6" wingspan
Kofi Cockburn
User avatar
Psubs
RealGM
Posts: 11,783
And1: 7,662
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1220 » by Psubs » Yesterday 12:32 am

Indeed wrote:
Psubs wrote:
mademan wrote:
Donovan is only 6'. Most people dont actually realize that because he's able to guard most 2's with no problem (and he also has Gobert behind him). Davion is 6'2, but he's built like a tank while retaining his explosion. I honestly think his defensive comparison is closer to Marcus Smart than Donovan Mitchell. You should watch some vids on him. Whoever gets him past like 9 or 10 is gonna get a steal, no doubt


Donovan is 6'1 at least which is his listed height. I though he was 6'3 but after the NBA remeasured I guess he's 6'1 without shoes.


Wingspan makes him able to guard SG (6'8 or 6'10), while Davion only has average PG wingspan (6'5 or 6'6)


Analytics show he isn't guarding them well. :lol: I get your point though; he's able to take an assignment to guard SG's but will likely get Derozan like assignments.
Image

Return to Toronto Raptors