ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1321 » by Drygon » Thu May 6, 2021 9:06 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:
Morse Code wrote:If Masai and co believe in Jalen Johnson’s character, I’d love to pick him depending on where our pick falls. A lot will rest on whether he truly gives up on his teams or if there are other reasons why he has this history of leaving teams. Skill wise I think he would be a great fit.

Raptors don't have a good track record with quitters though - Vince, Hedo, and Pascal as of late.

Vince wanted to stay & rescined his trade request. Rob Babcack accepted Nets' crap package & traded him anyway.

It's confirmed by Rob Babcock & Sam Mitchell themselves years later.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-2/Sam-Mitchell-with-tim-and-Sid-ts-20121107-Interview.mp3
http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-2/Rob-Babcock-with-Tim-and-Sid-ts-20121107-Interview.mp3
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,436

Post#1322 » by Morse Code » Thu May 6, 2021 9:44 pm

I don’t think Springer is going to be able to get to his spots in the NBA the way he does in college. He’s a good player and will be a good pro, but I don’t think he’s anything more than an average starter down the road. Similarly to Mitchell, although Mitchell has the physical attributes to mayyyyyybe surpass expectations but it’s unlikely imo.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,735

Post#1323 » by BoyzNTheHood » Fri May 7, 2021 4:05 am

Dosunmu might be my guy if we're 8th or 9th man, that kid has star written all over him. I love that he has the size and ball handling to play both guard spots. I think if you can somehow get this kid and Queta we won the draft, easily.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
TuckerBox
Freshman
And1: 132

Post#1324 » by TuckerBox » Fri May 7, 2021 4:22 am

On Chad Ford's 1.0 Mock, he has us picking 8th and taking Davion Mitchell.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#1325 » by Kingsway_fan » Fri May 7, 2021 4:29 am

Drygon wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:
Morse Code wrote:If Masai and co believe in Jalen Johnson’s character, I’d love to pick him depending on where our pick falls. A lot will rest on whether he truly gives up on his teams or if there are other reasons why he has this history of leaving teams. Skill wise I think he would be a great fit.

Raptors don't have a good track record with quitters though - Vince, Hedo, and Pascal as of late.

Vince wanted to stay & rescined his trade request. Rob Babcack accepted Nets' crap package & traded him anyway.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-2/Sam-Mitchell-with-tim-and-Sid-ts-20121107-Interview.mp3
http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-2/Rob-Babcock-with-Tim-and-Sid-ts-20121107-Interview.mp3

Agreed. But you know the raps fan base... percentage are whiners and don't deserve to have an NBA franchise... Vince was awesome and I was lucky to have season tickets during his era in toronto.. what a superstar....
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,627

Post#1326 » by Bruin » Fri May 7, 2021 4:33 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:Dosunmu might be my guy if we're 8th or 9th man, that kid has star written all over him. I love that he has the size and ball handling to play both guard spots. I think if you can somehow get this kid and Queta we won the draft, easily.

Dosunmu is projected mid to late 1st round. If we want him we could probably just trade our two 2nd rounders plus maybe another future 2nd to get him. No way would we use the lotto pick on him

Personally I’d rather keep the 2nds and try to get 2 steals (which is definitely possible with our track record). I got my eyes on Isaiah Todd in the 2nd round
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#1327 » by Psubs » Fri May 7, 2021 5:10 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:Dosunmu might be my guy if we're 8th or 9th man, that kid has star written all over him. I love that he has the size and ball handling to play both guard spots. I think if you can somehow get this kid and Queta we won the draft, easily.

Trade down with the Knicks. #21, #23 and #32 for say #8 and #46.

Dosunmu at #21
Queta at #23
Take someone that drops at #32 and Isaiah Todd with the other 2nd.
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#1328 » by Saciid11 » Fri May 7, 2021 5:20 am

I don't know how Barnes, Jalen Johnson, Keon Johnson, Kia can be ranked ahead of Usman Garuba.. I can definitely see Masai drafting this kid with our pick. Absolute monster at the defensive end.

Psubs
RealGM

Post#1329 » by Psubs » Fri May 7, 2021 5:28 am

Saciid11 wrote:I don't know how Barnes, Jalen Johnson, Keon Johnson, Kia can be ranked ahead of Usman Garuba.. I can definitely see Masai drafting this kid with our pick. Absolute monster at the defensive end.

Isn't he like this year's Okongwu?
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#1330 » by Saciid11 » Fri May 7, 2021 5:35 am

Psubs wrote:
Saciid11 wrote:I don't know how Barnes, Jalen Johnson, Keon Johnson, Kia can be ranked ahead of Usman Garuba.. I can definitely see Masai drafting this kid with our pick. Absolute monster at the defensive end.

Except Garuba has been playing is professional league since he was 17 and lately been dominant at the defensive end. I think his upside is way better then Okongwu .. Masai probably has scouting this kid since he 16, so if he is available at our pick I don't see Masai picking Barnes or Jalen Johnson ahead of him.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,206

Post#1331 » by Mark_83 » Fri May 7, 2021 9:11 am

Psubs wrote:

Dosunmu at #21
Queta at #23

I'm glad someone suggested it first. Depending on who is there at pick 7 I would consider trading back in the draft. There's not really anyone I'm in live with at our pick. Wouldn't mind getting two or three cracks at it.

Trade back with the Knicks for their 3 picks. Use pick 23 and 32 to move up into the mid teens, (hypothetically pick 17).

17) Kai Jones, PF/C / Isaiah Jackson, PF/C
21) Chris Duarte, SG / Tre Mann, SG / Trey Murphy, SF
45) Neemias Queta, C / Isaiah Todd, PF / Charles Bassey, C
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#1332 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri May 7, 2021 9:48 am

planetmars wrote:
CoinTossRoss31 wrote:Currently a fan of Keon Johnson with our pick.. can a Moody fan try to sway my opinion?

Johnson is a more explosive athlete with much better handles. But I feel like we have a guy like him already in Jalen Harris. Both are listed at 6'5. Both are good athletes. The big difference between the two is that Keon plays defense but Harris can shoot. I mean Keon was a 27% 3pt shooter and a 70% FT shooter. Shooting is the easiest thing to teach, but it's not part of his arsenal already. It's the 70% free throw rate that worries me more than his 3pt shooting which is quite bad.

Moody has shaky handles. Struggles to create for himself or others. But he's the prototypical 3&D player. In the mold of Mikhail Bridges. And his advanced stats just jump off the page for me. You can't go wrong with a 7'0 wingspan for a guy out on the wing.

Just comparing the two freshman years:

Keon - 27 games, started in 17. 97.7 ORTG, 94.5 DRTG, 51.9 TS%, 2.1 WS, .124 WS/40, 4.1 BPM, 16.3 PER
Moses - 32 games, started in all 32. 119.5 ORTG, 98.1 DRTG, 56.8 TS%, 5.2 WS, .193 WS/40, 7.4 BPM, 20.4 PER

Moody looks like a winner. His WS and BPM just tell me that when he's on the court, his team has a better chance of winning his minutes than when Keon is on the court.

Moody is interesting to watch. In the same way Derozan struggled with footwork Moody's game looks similar to a forwsrd who can go straight ahead and back but not so great laterally. That may well change when he becomes much stronger. He's a player who has a serious game but he looks more OG in opersting eith ball. Than he does Malachi Flynn who BTW dialed in an impressive head fake move yesterday going to the hoop rattling in a floater. Moody is a lunch bucket wing so far.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#1333 » by God Squad » Fri May 7, 2021 9:49 am

Psubs wrote:

I think Okongwu would look very diffrent if he was
1. Healthy
2. Not playing behind Capela

I still think there's a good player in there waiting to be unleashed.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,284

Post#1334 » by PhilBlackson » Fri May 7, 2021 11:35 am

Psubs wrote:

No.

Okongwu has MUCH more offensive skill than Garuba and people actually thought he would be like Bam with more post moves. He's just had a very tough time even seeing the court between his injuries and playing behind Capela who the Hawks traded for to win now.

Garuba is looking like a taller Draymond. Assuming both ceilings imo a Bam like prospect with a better offensive skillset (coming into the league) is a more desirable player than another Draymond because you still get a great defender with much more scoring upside.

Usman is reminding me of they hype Bismack Biyombo had coming out of the draft. I'm sure someone will jump in to say how Garuba is supposedly more dominant but Biz was a shot blocking monster to the point pre-draft some people were speculating he was going to be like another Dwight Howard. Garuba looks incredibly awkward trying to ballhandle so personally I'm not even seeing the Draymond comparison as one of his biggest strengths is being able to rip/rebound & run to lead fastbreaks and pick teams apart with his passing which I don't see outta Garuba. I mean to each his own if people want to draft him but personally I'd be very disappointed to spend a whole crappy season like this just to get a good (undersized) defensive C, I'd much rather take a higher offensive upside prospect that maybe our developmental staff can build into an all-star caliber player, but that's me.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,319

Post#1335 » by rapstarter » Fri May 7, 2021 11:40 am

Kingsway_fan wrote:
Drygon wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:

Agreed. But you know the raps fan base... percentage are whiners and don't deserve to have an NBA franchise... Vince was awesome and I was lucky to have season tickets during his era in toronto.. what a superstar....

He also admitted to not trying his best and did submit a trade request initially. That's what quitters do.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#1336 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri May 7, 2021 1:21 pm

Dalek wrote:I could see Springer be big board ranked that high but I almost never see him drafted that high in the mocks.

It is weird that Springer really flies under the radar despite his more than solid numbers and profile. Partially, I think Springer was less looked at because Keon was such a spectacular athlete. Keon was the human highlight reel, but to me, Springer was much more impressive all-around. It is like Springer just suffers from bad PR unlike guys like Suggs and Mitchell who got national attention for their runs.

A couple weird Raptorsy things to note about Springer:

Jaden Springer actually shares the same birthday (Sept 25) as former Raptor and mentor to Lowry - Chauncey Billups. That is actually who I see Jaden to be quite similar to.

As mentioned before, his cousin is current Raptor DeAndre Bembry.

Toronto Blue Jays biggest acquisition this year was also a Springer. Maybe this was meant to be.

I think the same people that put Keon ahead of Springer are the same that put Mitchell ahead of Butler. The better athlete always gives people the impression of a higher ceiling. In terms of prospects and likelihood of success in the NBA, Springer and Jared Butler should be considered better prospects and both should go in the lottery, imo.

I watched Tennessee more than I watched any other team this year. Springer beats up on guys that way Smart and Eric Bledsoe do. In terms of the Raptors, he fits needs. We need ballhandlers, we need shooting, and we need high IQ decision-makers, we play two PGs consistently, and Nurse is hell-bent on defining himself as a defensive coach. That note about Bembry is really cool, too. And then his upside is tied to his age.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#1337 » by Double Helix » Fri May 7, 2021 1:44 pm

I still think Tre Mann is being slept on a little too much. He was basically a PG prospect MCDonalds All American who at age 19 grew 2 more inches to be 6’5 now while adding 15-20lbs of muscle toward the end of the year, all while retaining his handle and poor man’s Trae Young-like step back arsenal and deep range. He fits the mold of other PG/combo guard bombers in the league like Jamal Murray whose pull up jumpers from all over the court are deadly weapons. He looks to be competitive. He’s a smooth athlete. Seems smart. Improved as the year went on. Not afraid of the moment. I really think he will end up a lotto pick.

New mix out. I love his balance. He catches defenders flat footed with his step back and his ability to just pull straight up while attacking with the ball. Quick release. Very assured, confident arc on his shot that good shooters have. He treats his jumper like a weapon the way the good shooters do. He can also get to the net on close outs, absorb some contact and make plays for others. There’s a lot to be encouraged by if interested in a high usage scoring combo guard but you’d have to embrace him and let him play like a poor man’s Murray-type in your offence.

Eye test for him looks good to me and reminiscent of some other successful scoring combo guards in the post Steph Curry era of hoop and his numbers especially late in the year show a continued upward trajectory.

With the way the game is played now and the green light NBA coaches give shooters and the desire to have someone who can shoot off the move with or without the ball from all over there’s a lot to like. If he goes past 15 someone could get a poor man’s Jamal Murray type as a bargain.

Since we have Fred this type of player may seem less appealing but to other teams a 6’5 kid who can do this shouldn’t be.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1338 » by Psubs » Fri May 7, 2021 1:45 pm

Mark_83 wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Dosunmu at #21
Queta at #23

I'm glad someone suggested it first. Depending on who is there at pick 7 I would consider trading back in the draft. There's not really anyone I'm in live with at our pick. Wouldn't mind getting two or three cracks at it.

Trade back with the Knicks for their 3 picks. Use pick 23 and 32 to move up into the mid teens, (hypothetically pick 17).

17) Kai Jones, PF/C / Isaiah Jackson, PF/C
21) Chris Duarte, SG / Tre Mann, SG / Trey Murphy, SF
45) Neemias Queta, C / Isaiah Todd, PF / Charles Bassey, C

That's some OKC maneuvering! Duarte's defense is intriguing even though he's 23. Tre Mann's (looks around for the Mann-Stan) shooting is like Trent tempting with slightly better handles. I think at #21 you could choose between Dosunmu or Tre Mann.

21) Dosunmu / Mann
23) Queta
2nd pick) Todd

The bench mob is going to be back to it's heyday with those picks, Flynn, Harris, Yuta, Boucher and Gillespie. Internal competition until a trade comes available to consolidate.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1339 » by Psubs » Fri May 7, 2021 1:55 pm

Double Helix wrote:I still think Tre Mann is being slept on a little too much. He was basically a PG prospect MCDonalds All American who at age 19 grew 2 more inches to be 6’5 now while adding 15-20lbs of muscle toward the end of the year, all while retaining his handle and poor man’s Trae Young-like step back arsenal and deep range. He fits the mold of other PG/combo guard bombers in the league like Jamal Murray whose pull up jumpers from all over the court are deadly weapons. He looks to be competitive. He’s a smooth athlete. Seems smart. Improved as the year went on. Not afraid of the moment. I really think he will end up a lotto pick.

New mix out. I love his balance. He catches defenders flat footed with his step back and his ability to just pull straight up while attacking with the ball. He can also get to the net on close outs and make plays for others. There’s a lot to be encouraged by if interested in a high usage scoring combo guard.

Eye test for him looks good to me and reminiscent of some other successful scoring combo guards in the post Steph Curry era of hoop and his numbers especially late in the year show a continued upward trajectory.

With the way the game is played now and the green light NBA coaches give shooters and the desire to have someone who can shoot off the move with or without the ball from all over there’s a lot to like. If he goes past 15 someone could get a poor man’s Jamal Murray type as a bargain.

I wonder if he's like SGA (6'11 ws) with shorter wingspan (6'6 now I'm guessing)? Maybe he's a young, not jacked up Desmond Bane with more natural PG skills?
Stromile12
Head Coach
And1: 13,240

Post#1340 » by Stromile12 » Fri May 7, 2021 1:59 pm

I don't remember a pre draft thread, where I've liked this many players

Return to Toronto Raptors