ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#41 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:40 pm

Dalek wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Dalek wrote:A lot of people talking about Moses Moody, and while I do think he is safe pick, I am little more intrigued by Ziaire Williams. He's 6'8" as a SG with a great handle, Brandon Ingram length and shot mechanics. I think in Toronto's system he could end up elite.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

He's basically the forgotten top-5 guy in this draft. It's understandable though seeing as how he didn't do anything incredible, but like you said the tools to be great are there and he needs to be unlocked. I'm interested to watch some of his interviews and see how he comes off.

He had a weird year, no doubt. Had a knee injury in a weird bike accident before the Stanford season. Came back, played okay at first but then really started to pick things up and even had a triple double. Then he was in COVID protocols, missed 6 games, ineligible for the Tournament and there ends his college career.

To me his body and game screams NBA star profile, but like you said they will have to interview him to see more about his character. He is a pretty wildly expressive guy on court, which is something you expect from a kid.

Sounds like another OG situation. We like those.

If the team is committed to small ball going forward, with OG and Pascal at forward, Ziaire would slot in nicely beside Trent at the wing.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#42 » by Mikistan » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:44 pm

i want nothing to do with kispert
traps#10
Head Coach
And1: 8,364

Post#43 » by traps#10 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:32 pm

We know the recipe for a championship, we just need to find that SG/SF Kawhi Leonard clone or close to it. I don’t think we should draft a big even though that’s our biggest hole. If we get a high draft pick, that kid should not be a garbage man and doing all the dirty work next to Siakam.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#44 » by Psubs » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:48 pm

Mikistan wrote:i want nothing to do with kispert

He's pretty much Joe Harris, good 4th option. He should be drafted in the 20's.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#45 » by Psubs » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:26 pm

What's your dream with the 2nd rounders? Queta then Mathurin? :D
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,132

Post#46 » by billy_hoyle » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:35 pm

Psubs wrote:What's your dream with the 2nd rounders? Queta then Mathurin? :D

Historically? I want Marc Gasol and Ginobili. Perfect fits.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#47 » by DG88 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:00 pm

Dalek wrote:A lot of people talking about Moses Moody, and while I do think he is safe pick, I am little more intrigued by Ziaire Williams. He's 6'8" as a SG with a great handle, Brandon Ingram length and shot mechanics. I think in Toronto's system he could end up elite.

Read on Twitter

Longer highlight package showing his crazy athleticism. I see a Paul George type of length and OTB game. He just needs to bulk up and he will be scary.
Read on Twitter

He was a player that I was looking into earlier on and as you said he had a weird year at Stanford. The knee injury along with covid protocols hampered his season and he never really got any solid footing. His biggest weakness is his frame. Dude needs to get stronger and that will come as he matures. He does have the skillset of typical wing player that we would be interested in.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#48 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:25 pm

DG88 wrote:

He does have the skillset of typical wing player that we would be interested in.

Hard to say at what spot he'll go, but at least it takes away some of the stress of HAVING to maximize our shot at getting into the top 4. Again, based on the OG precedent, Ziaire with his injury history seems have the type of profile the Raptors have no problem drafting - i.e. pouncing when a stud slips down the draft board.

I wouldn't say Moody is a safe pick. I sorta get a Wiggins vibe from him. I hope he gets drafted ahead of us.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#49 » by DG88 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:32 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
DG88 wrote:

He does have the skillset of typical wing player that we would be interested in.

Hard to say at what spot he'll go, but at least it takes away some of the stress of HAVING to maximize our shot at getting into the top 4. Again, based on the OG precedent, Ziaire with his injury history seems have the type of profile the Raptors have no problem drafting - i.e. pouncing when a stud slips down the draft board.

I wouldn't say Moody is a safe pick. I sorta get a Wiggins vibe from him. I hope he gets drafted ahead of us.

Plus having two wing at 6'8 with long wingspans just fits our mold.
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Post#50 » by raptor jesus » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:42 pm

Ziare Williams looks impressive, but his impact numbers are flat out brutal. 47% TS, .046 WS/40, 11 PER, negative ast/to ratio. That's a rather big concern imo, granted the sample isn't huge, and it was probably a tough season to play in given the external circumstances. But I would be curious to know if there's a precedent for a guy being this bad at the NCAA level panning out in the NBA (living up to lottery type expectations).
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#51 » by PoundTown » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:53 pm

raptor jesus wrote:Ziare Williams looks impressive, but his impact numbers are flat out brutal. 47% TS, .046 WS/40, 11 PER, negative ast/to ratio. That's a rather big concern imo, granted the sample isn't huge, and it was probably a tough season to play in given the external circumstances. But I would be curious to know if there's a precedent for a guy being this bad at the NCAA level panning out in the NBA (living up to lottery type expectations).

I personally see Zaire topping out as prime Rodney hood; which is a decent player but not sure if moves needle much. I’d pass.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#52 » by Psubs » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:56 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
DG88 wrote:

That's a good comp! Shorter and less athletic Wiggins.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#53 » by Psubs » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:57 pm

PoundTown wrote:
raptor jesus wrote:Ziare Williams looks impressive, but his impact numbers are flat out brutal. 47% TS, .046 WS/40, 11 PER, negative ast/to ratio. That's a rather big concern imo, granted the sample isn't huge, and it was probably a tough season to play in given the external circumstances. But I would be curious to know if there's a precedent for a guy being this bad at the NCAA level panning out in the NBA (living up to lottery type expectations).

I personally see Zaire topping out as prime Rodney hood; which is a decent player but not sure if moves needle much. I’d pass.

I think he tops out at post-injury Shaun Livingston.
Stubby
Junior
And1: 135

Post#54 » by Stubby » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:05 pm

Haven't seen much of Zaire. It's apparent, even from short highlights, that he's got a great understanding of pace and space. Great physical profile.. Footwork appears to be quite advanced for his age too. Kid checks a lot of boxes..

Read on Twitter

Longer highlight package showing his crazy athleticism. I see a Paul George type of length and OTB game. He just needs to bulk up and he will be scary.
Read on Twitter
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#55 » by Dalek » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:09 pm

It is really hard to find examples of good lottery successes of guys that had poor college stats becoming stars. The lens we have to look at Ziaire is as a project that may need a couple years. From what I have watched of him he is more of a special defensive prospect at this stage with some developing offensive skills. To me is comparable to a guy like Jaden McDaniels coming in - a bit skinny but really interesting on defense with potential to be a Paul George if he adds strength and goes to a Toronto or OKC developmental system. I like Ziaire in that late lottery range as I think he is tops of the tier three group.

To me, in that 14-18 range is the young guys under 20 with some upside but are projects:

Ziaire Williams
Sharife Cooper
Usman Garuba
Isaiah Jackson
Alperin Sengun
Psubs
RealGM

Post#56 » by Psubs » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:12 pm

Stubby wrote:Haven't seen much of Zaire. It's apparent, even from short highlights, that he's got a great understanding of pace and space. Great physical profile.. Footwork appears to be quite advanced for his age too. Kid checks a lot of boxes..

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/6/14/11922808/2016-nba-draft-strengths-weaknesses-of-patrick-mccaw

The article notes that the 36% 3pt shooting is a concern, yet Williams only managed 29%. Tankathon projects it to 35.5% in the pros, I guess due to 79% FT%. McCaw shot 77% FTs as a sophomore.

Both McCaw and Livingston have bad injuries.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/skilled-wing-ziaire-williams-making-waves-in-2020

Had a hip injury which cost him most of his sophomore HS season.

https://247sports.com/Article/Stanford-basketball-Ziaire-Williams-technical-foul-vs-North-Carolina-155790546/

Bike accident that needed a brace.

Is he too lanky?
theocratic_n'_nature
Pro Prospect
And1: 372

Post#57 » by theocratic_n'_nature » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:58 pm

BrunoSkull wrote:There's a lot of goods and bads in his game, if he pans out he's a monster. If he doesn't pan out, he's a loser.

I wouldn't necessarily say so. I think that one creative way to use him (especially if he doesn't progress in his skill level), is you put him at center.

Khem Birch, accepted by many as a proper C and who is rumored to join us off the waiver wire, was 6'9, 220lbs with a 7'0 wingspan coming out of college.

Barnes is bigger than Birch at 6'9, 225lbs with a 7'2 wingspan. He's also only 19 yrs old, so there even might be a minuscule chance at one more growth spurt if x-rays reveal his growth plates haven't closed. Add the obligatory summer 15lbs of muscle add on and he's also not that different physically than Ben Simmons who 6'10, 240lbs and 7'0 wingspan coming out of college.

I probably wouldn't want him there against the biggest centers all the time, but if throughout the game you rotate Siakam, OG and Barnes on whoever the center is, it should be doable (with a bigger center as a back up of course).

A Simmons type at the center position wouldn't be the worst thing in the world and should have some positive value if that's the worst that Barnes becomes...

but a Ben Simmons with a jump shot? :o :o
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Post#58 » by Reeko » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:01 pm

Psubs wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
DG88 wrote:

That's a good comp! Shorter and less athletic Wiggins.

This comp for Moody makes no sense. Moody is not a slasher, he's a shooter. From what I've seen he doesn't have any sort of motor issues and is a really good defender.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Post#59 » by Reeko » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:08 pm

If we're drafting out of the top 5,
Players I'm in on: Keon Johnson, Moses Moody, Davion Mitchell.
Players I'm out on: Ziaire Williams, Josh Christopher, Scottie Barnes.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,200

Post#60 » by Mark_83 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:25 pm

Psubs wrote:What's your dream with the 2nd rounders? Queta then Mathurin? :D

Mathurin is high on my list. Queta is interesting due to his quick feet and passing but something about him doesn't excite me. He's kind of sluggish or deliberate in his movements like a typical old school big. I'm looking for more quick twitch explosion in my center unless they're uber skilled like Gasol.

My other favs:

Tre Mann
Charles Bassey
Joel Ayayi
Chris Duarte
Johnny Juzang
Marcus Bagley
Isaiah Livers
Isaiah Todd
Ariel Hukporti
Scottie Lewis
Drew Timme