ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,274

Re: 2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#241 » by mademan » Fri May 14, 2021 3:08 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:How would you guys feel about Kemba for Siakam? Obviously picks would be involved in some way, but I’m just curious how Raps fans feel about it, especially if Lowry bounces this summer

It’s really not close. Value, fit and contract, I don’t see 1 area where the raps come out ahead there.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,733

Post#242 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat May 15, 2021 4:29 am

GoCeltics123 wrote:How would you guys feel about Kemba for Siakam? Obviously picks would be involved in some way, but I’m just curious how Raps fans feel about it, especially if Lowry bounces this summer

Charlotte Kemba, maybe. Boston Kemba, no sir.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#243 » by Saciid11 » Sat May 15, 2021 7:29 am

I don't know what it would take but I would love for Raptors to trade for Jaylen Brown. I wonder if Boston would do Jaylen Brown for Pascal plus filler ..
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#244 » by Jstock12 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:50 am

Saciid11 wrote:I don't know what it would take but I would love for Raptors to trade for Jaylen Brown. I wonder if Boston would do Jaylen Brown for Pascal plus filler ..

Not sure why the Celtics would do it. Brown is 3 years younger (at least) than Pascal and can shoot really well. You'd have to add a lot more than random filler.
Masai4PM
Junior
And1: 860

Post#245 » by Masai4PM » Sat May 15, 2021 12:07 pm

gtfo
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,053

Post#246 » by ItsDanger » Sat May 15, 2021 6:16 pm

Trent has shot >40% in 6 of 17 games for us (4 of which were vs sub.500 teams). He has also shot <30% 8 of 17 games. I cannot emphasize enough how bad these metrics are. If you remove his best and worst games for us, his overall FG% is 36.5, that's bad.
Depending on who we draft, this guy is a trade candidate. Don't get stuck holding a bad contract. Can he improve? Sure. But what has he shown to date that this will occur? There is a serious risk here.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
CAA
Freshman
And1: 73

Post#247 » by CAA » Sat May 15, 2021 6:55 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Trent has shot >40% in 6 of 17 games for us (4 of which were vs sub.500 teams). He has also shot <30% 8 of 17 games. I cannot emphasize enough how bad these metrics are. If you remove his best and worst games for us, his overall FG% is 36.5, that's bad.
Depending on who we draft, this guy is a trade candidate. Don't get stuck holding a bad contract. Can he improve? Sure. But what has he shown to date that this will occur? There is a serious risk here.

100%. Still needs to improve quite a bit. That said, a reasonable contract is a valuable trade asset for future.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#248 » by Psubs » Sat May 15, 2021 10:14 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Trent has shot >40% in 6 of 17 games for us (4 of which were vs sub.500 teams). He has also shot <30% 8 of 17 games. I cannot emphasize enough how bad these metrics are. If you remove his best and worst games for us, his overall FG% is 36.5, that's bad.

That's why I hope they can re-sign Trent for a Powell like contract. Portland added a now more consistent Powell. Nor sure if they'd go into the tax to re-tain him.

12-13-14-15 4th year player option might be cool for both sides.
Raptors_128
Analyst
And1: 3,275

Post#249 » by Raptors_128 » Sat May 15, 2021 10:58 pm

I wouldn’t mind trading for Horford with an asset attached if we don’t sign any free agents. Perfect centre for our team if we plan to contend next year.

If we can somehow fit his contract on the books while re-signing Lowry, I think we do some serious damage next season.

Lowry/FVV/OG/Siakam/Horford + the lottery pick/GTJ/Boucher/Flynn/Birch.

Might have to trade FVV or Trent Jr. to make the money work.
CAA
Freshman
And1: 73

Post#250 » by CAA » Sun May 16, 2021 12:44 am

Raptors_128 wrote:I wouldn’t mind trading for Horford with an asset attached if we don’t sign any free agents. Perfect centre for our team if we plan to contend next year.

If we can somehow fit his contract on the books while re-signing Lowry, I think we do some serious damage next season.

Raps can't make the $ work. Also, OKC isn't stressing about a salary dump right now so likely wouldn't attach an asset.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#251 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun May 16, 2021 12:51 am

mademan wrote:

It’s really not close. Value, fit and contract, I don’t see 1 area where the raps come out ahead there.

Just awful.
Raptors_128
Analyst
And1: 3,275

Post#252 » by Raptors_128 » Sun May 16, 2021 1:11 am

CAA wrote:
Raptors_128 wrote:I wouldn’t mind trading for Horford with an asset attached if we don’t sign any free agents. Perfect centre for our team if we plan to contend next year.

Raps can't make the $ work. Also, OKC isn't stressing about a salary dump right now so likely wouldn't attach an asset.

Yeah you’re probably right. Only way I see this happening is if Horford wants to come here and OKC does right by him.
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,232

Post#253 » by sidsid » Sun May 16, 2021 4:02 pm

The Lowry scenario I'm thinking may be more and more likely is us signing him to a 1+1 at the salary he wants, with the intention to dangle him to a contender over the cap during the next two years.

With the glut of guards we have and possibly adding another one in this draft, a Fred for size move may be on the table (always thought of a Fred trade being more opportunistic than pro-active during our rebuild years, but the Lowry situation may change that), with the expectations that Flynn can take over backup duties and eventually more minutes if Lowry moves on in year two.

Turner has been mentioned a ton, but I see the target being more size at forward than C. No one is giving up comparable talent with size for Fred, but likely a serviceable contract plus a prospect with size to even out the roster.
Van_Trump
Veteran
And1: 1,266

Post#254 » by Van_Trump » Sun May 16, 2021 10:14 pm

I had a trade question regarding Baynes.
His second year at $7.35 million is not guaranteed

No money guaranteed in 2021/22, HoopsHype has learned. Contract becomes fully guaranteed if not waived the date that is 48 hours after the start of the 2021/22 moratorium period.

There will be a moratorium period from Aug. 3 until Aug. 6 at 12:01 p.m. ET, which is when teams can begin signing free agents.

This sets up a trade scenario whereby at team could trade a fully guaranteed player to Toronto for the corpse of Aron Baynes' contract. who is immediately released for salary savings.

Is this in fact correct?
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#255 » by Psubs » Sun May 16, 2021 10:33 pm

Van_Trump wrote:I had a trade question regarding Baynes.

No money guaranteed in 2021/22, HoopsHype has learned. Contract becomes fully guaranteed if not waived the date that is 48 hours after the start of the 2021/22 moratorium period.

There will be a moratorium period from Aug. 3 until Aug. 6 at 12:01 p.m. ET, which is when teams can begin signing free agents.

This sets up a trade scenario whereby at team could trade a fully guaranteed player to Toronto for the corpse of Aron Baynes' contract. who is immediately released for salary savings.

Is this in fact correct?

Should be. But then you're giving up cap space for free agency.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,328

Post#257 » by douggood » Mon May 17, 2021 4:14 am

Psubs wrote:
Van_Trump wrote:I had a trade question regarding Baynes.

Is this in fact correct?

Should be. But then you're giving up cap space for free agency.

nope, rules have changed.

now only the guaranteed portion of contracts can be used for salary matching purposes.

so lets say on draft day, raptors want to trade for a player making 3 million. they can choose to guarantee for example 2.5 of baynes contract and trade him and the new team can cut him before the date he becomes fully guaranteed, new team will pay him 2.5 mil but not the full 7.35 mil.

there is reason so many of the new contracts around the league have this unguranteed structure, vs a straight team option. it gives team more flexibility and the player loses nothing.
hood, baynes, boucher, bembery all have similar structures
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,659

Post#258 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Mon May 17, 2021 7:18 am

We gain absolutely nothing from that trade. Kemba doesn’t fit our timeline or have any history with the team. We don’t need another pg to begin with as well. Literally asking Raptor fans if we’d trade our 27 year old current best player for an injury riddled aging pg who doesn’t bring any value towards the goals of the team
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,232

Post#259 » by sidsid » Mon May 17, 2021 1:14 pm

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:

We gain absolutely nothing from that trade. Kemba doesn’t fit our timeline or have any history with the team. We don’t need another pg to begin with as well. Literally asking Raptor fans if we’d trade our 27 year old current best player for an injury riddled aging pg who doesn’t bring any value towards the goals of the team

It's not that the Raptors wouldn't necessarily not trade for Kemba, it's that the demands would be around how many assets do we get back for taking on their bad contract (that took the place of their old, injury prone bad contract: Hayward).

We could take Kemba on for free in cap space this summer, but we'd have to get Boston's first rounder to do it, at minimum.

If they want a replacement guard with value like Fred or a Lowry S&T; then we're going to need 2 or 3 first rounders and/or prospects. You don't get to dump your injury riddled over 30 year old max contracts for free. And you certainly don't get younger, better players for them like Siakam. Laughably absurd.
Gold Dragon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,582

Post#260 » by Gold Dragon » Mon May 17, 2021 3:54 pm

douggood wrote:now only the guaranteed portion of contracts can be used for salary matching purposes.

so lets say on draft day, raptors want to trade for a player making 3 million. they can choose to guarantee for example 2.5 of baynes contract and trade him and the new team can cut him before the date he becomes fully guaranteed, new team will pay him 2.5 mil but not the full 7.35 mil.

there is reason so many of the new contracts around the league have this unguranteed structure, vs a straight team option. it gives team more flexibility and the player loses nothing.
hood, baynes, boucher, bembery all have similar structures

I was thinking of trade scenarios and you made me aware of this rule change in a previous thread.

I was wondering about this idea of partial guarantee like in your example. Do we know this is possible or is it an all or nothing scenario? Has this happened before?

Return to Toronto Raptors