ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Trent Career high

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Re: PG: Trent Career high 

Post#261 » by anotherhomer » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:07 pm

Sandman88 wrote:Build around scary Gary. Life without Siakam ain’t too bad

guy's good but he went off against a bottom-tier team that was intentionally tanking and not playing D

hard to draw conclusion, whether dude can do that against a good motivated defensive team
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#262 » by 720 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:16 pm

People want to build around a role player. I'm done. lol
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,621

Post#263 » by Bruin » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:18 pm

anotherhomer wrote:

guy's good but he went off against a bottom-tier team that was intentionally tanking and not playing D

hard to draw conclusion, whether dude can do that against a good motivated defensive team

When a team tanks it doesn’t mean the players on the court aren’t trying. That’s not how it works. Role Players don’t care what pick the team gets since they’d be the ones getting replaced. It’s their careers on the line so they will do their best to play well and impress for their next contracts. The concept of tanking seems to be misunderstood by many.

Tanking is when a team doesn’t have talent to win, it doesn’t mean the players aren’t trying their best
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#264 » by will » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:42 pm

PrinceAli wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:

When a team tanks it doesn’t mean the players on the court aren’t trying. That’s not how it works. Role Players don’t care what pick the team gets since they’d be the ones getting replaced. It’s their careers on the line so they will do their best to play well and impress for their next contracts. The concept of tanking seems to be misunderstood by many.

Tanking is when a team doesn’t have talent to win, it doesn’t mean the players aren’t trying their best

Real talk, PrinceAli!

Players - especially bench players playing on 2 way contracts, and playing with contracts where the team holds the right to pick up the option...they won't just tank and stop putting forth effort because a bunch of doofs on a realgm message board want the team to fade4cade.

Basically, pro ballers and the Raps management will not listen to a bunch of high schoolers and college students clamoring for a money making franchise to tank.

Doofs.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#265 » by anotherhomer » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:08 pm

i get you guys....i didn't watch the game,
But I caught the comment that Will (not realgm Will, but Lou Will unless both the same person :wink: )
mention Cleveland sleep walked through this

If some knowledge posters can comment whether they felt Gary can replicate this against better competition, i be interested to know

will wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:

Real talk, PrinceAli!

Players - especially bench players playing on 2 way contracts, and playing with contracts where the team holds the right to pick up the option...they won't just tank and stop putting forth effort because a bunch of doofs on a realgm message board want the team to fade4cade.

Basically, pro ballers and the Raps management will not listen to a bunch of high schoolers and college students clamoring for a money making franchise to tank.

Doofs.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,407

Post#266 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:23 pm

pingpongrac wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:Various Raptors have had games like Trent just had through the years. Terrence Ross comes to mind. You can't evaluate a player based on their best game.

Trent is a very 3-point shooter, which is the most valuable skill in today's NBA. So he's going to get paid. But as of now he's rather one-dimensional and the advanced stats aren't complimentary of him on defense.

He's only 22 so he can still improve, but this is also his 4th year in the league and he hasn't shown much improvement to date. We can use the offense, but there's a good chance his contract will prove to be a big overpay. A sign-and-trade is probably a better option.
I get the point you're trying to make, but Ross had a 51-point game on 76 TS% and never scored 30+ in any of his other ~400 games with Toronto. Trent already has a few +30-point games, one of which was the highly efficient 44-point game last night, and won a game for us at the buzzer in less than 3 weeks.

Trent is also in his 3rd year, but he played just 15 games -- averaging 7.4 MPG -- in his rookie season. He's more like a sophomore than in his 4th year. And to say he hasn't shown improvement is wrong. He scored 10+ twice in his first 25 games then 10+ 6 times in the next 25 games. He started to breakout near the end of last season in the bubble (averaged 13 PPG on 47% shooting) and has carried that over this year, averaging 15.5 PPG while scoring 10+ in 37 of 50 games. Even more recently, he has set a new career-high twice in his limited time with Toronto while displaying a pretty wide range of scoring ability and 42% of his FGM have been unassisted.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using RealGM mobile app

My mistake, you're right it's his 3rd year.

I don't consider higher usage an improvement by itself. In terms of his percentages, not much has changed - in fact you could argue he's regressed from last year.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#267 » by will » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:28 pm

anotherhomer wrote:i get you guys....i didn't watch the game,
But I caught the comment that Will (not realgm Will, but Lou Will unless both the same person :wink: )
mention Cleveland sleep walked through this

If some knowledge posters can comment whether they felt Gary can replicate this against better competition, i be interested to know

will wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:When a team tanks it doesn’t mean the players on the court aren’t trying. That’s not how it works. Role Players don’t care what pick the team gets since they’d be the ones getting replaced. It’s their careers on the line so they will do their best to play well and impress for their next contracts. The concept of tanking seems to be misunderstood by many.

Real talk, PrinceAli!

Doofs.

It was the Gary Trent Jr. homecoming in his home state.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,369

Post#268 » by TD2FutureStar » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:30 pm

720 wrote:People want to build around a role player. I'm done. lol

We already are though. Gave Siakam the max lmao
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#269 » by Psubs » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:48 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:My mistake, you're right it's his 3rd year.

I don't consider higher usage an improvement by itself. In terms of his percentages, not much has changed - in fact you could argue he's regressed from last year.

Higher usage but with only a slight drop in efficiency is an improvement.

Ross and Clarkson can't handle the heavy lifting and all they comes with being a starting SG in the league, thus they are just elite scorers off the bench.
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#270 » by MavCarter » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:29 pm

TD2FutureStar wrote:

We already are though. Gave Siakam the max lmao

If siakam is a role player then the man in your username should be in shanghai
#Enjoytheride
h4rrison
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,102

Post#271 » by h4rrison » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:35 pm

TD2FutureStar wrote:
KO7 wrote:
h4rrison wrote:GTJ is ballin. Any chance we get outbid?

No idea what their cap situation is, but someone mentioned in the General Board that Pelicans should make a run at stealing GTJ. Imagine if they get rid of Bledsoe and GTJ slots in with Lonzo, Ingram, Zion, and Adams/Hayes moving forward? Scary core that’ll be a problem for years to come. GTJ’s perimeter shooting fits in way better for them than what Bledsoe gives them.

He's an RFA. If Raps want him, they got him.

Not that simple man. We're not maxing him and who knows what a team like the Cavs or Knicks might offer.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,222

Post#272 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:52 am

h4rrison wrote:
TD2FutureStar wrote:
KO7 wrote:
No idea what their cap situation is, but someone mentioned in the General Board that Pelicans should make a run at stealing GTJ. Imagine if they get rid of Bledsoe and GTJ slots in with Lonzo, Ingram, Zion, and Adams/Hayes moving forward? Scary core that’ll be a problem for years to come. GTJ’s perimeter shooting fits in way better for them than what Bledsoe gives them.

He's an RFA. If Raps want him, they got him.

Not that simple man. We're not maxing him and who knows what a team like the Cavs or Knicks might offer.

cavs and knicks are outlier but pels don't have enough cap. they can offer him $19M I think if they renounce Ball but I don't they would do that.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,222

Post#273 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:53 am

rose is a good scorer off the bench we could get for next year.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,611

Post#274 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:38 am

Ranger One wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:The egocentric players sit and suddenly the entire team plays free and with energy.

I don't totally endorse that opinion, but it would really be nice if Fred and Pascal noticed the free flowing ball movement and saw how effective that makes the offense.

If you've watched this team at all this year you already know the answer to that question. And it's... They won't. FVV has let his ego get out of control since getting his bag. And Pascal has been a dumpster fire since getting his as well. They think that because they're now the highest paid guys on the team that somehow they can forsake all team dynamics in order to "get theirs". And as such will continue to chuck shots and ignore team mates at every opportunity.

Well Pascal came back vs Knicks and the ball movement from the Cavs game dwindled. Even Kyle could offset it
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 5,993

Post#275 » by Coco Costanza » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:15 am

To be fair, he's outplaying our actual stars.
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,658

Post#276 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:57 am

They actually need to run more Gary/Siakam pnr. The Knicks started the game hard hedging him from jump to prevent the pull up 3 which means the screener will almost always be open on the short roll. If Siakam would get a clue and learn how to take a FT baby jumper instead of a highly contested layup he’d get easy buckets
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#277 » by Psubs » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:29 pm

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:They actually need to run more Gary/Siakam pnr. The Knicks started the game hard hedging him from jump to prevent the pull up 3 which means the screener will almost always be open on the short roll. If Siakam would get a clue and learn how to take a FT baby jumper instead of a highly contested layup he’d get easy buckets

I think you mean "make" a FT baby jumper not take. Siakam just needs to stop shooting 3's like Ben Simmons, help the team win.

Return to Toronto Raptors