ImageImageImageImageImage

Trent's Future Role

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,983

Re: Trent's Future Role 

Post#21 » by MavCarter » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:40 pm

So who do we start at the 2 next year when lowrys gone?
#Enjoytheride
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,791

Post#22 » by lobosloboslobos » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:40 pm

um what? big, strong, tough, smart, skilled two-way player with elite 3pt shooting who is only 22 and this week first put up 31 pts and then 44 on 17-19 shooting while seemingly meshing perfectly with our other young big strong elite 3 + D player OG and you think these guys are not destined to dominate together at both ends for years to come? get on the bus russ...
mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#23 » by mintsa » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:48 pm

Told you guys......Trent is nice. All of those late night blazers games already made me know what was to come.

I love norm, but this a great great trade.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,545

Post#24 » by Psubs » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:18 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:um what? big, strong, tough, smart, skilled two-way player with elite 3pt shooting who is only 22 and this week first put up 31 pts and then 44 on 17-19 shooting while seemingly meshing perfectly with our other young big strong elite 3 + D player OG and you think these guys are not destined to dominate together at both ends for years to come? get on the bus russ...

Exactly.

Tatum was just acclaimed for being the youngest player (age 23 and 1 month) to score 50+ passing Larry Bird. Tatum needed OT playing 44 mins and 16 FT attempts (Trent only 3).

I wish there wasn't a back to back and the game was closer so Trent would've gotten 50. Well he has a whole year to do it. :nod:
youngRAPZ
Senior
And1: 449

Post#25 » by youngRAPZ » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:30 pm

GLF wrote:
dgr81 wrote:Next years possible lineup:

FVV/Malachi
GTJ/Draft Pick
OG/Bembry/Yuta
SIakam/Boucher
Free Agent/Birch/FreddieG

I'm 100% down with this.

I’ve been saying this for weeks now. If we luck out and get a top sg in the draft then I don’t mind Trent being the starter for 2 or 3 years before transitioning into our elite 6th man.

Plug that center spot with Holmes and sign a vet pg at the min that’s definitely a second round team next year min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,545

Post#26 » by Psubs » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:36 pm

youngRAPZ wrote:
GLF wrote:

FVV/Malachi
GTJ/Draft Pick
OG/Bembry/Yuta
SIakam/Boucher

I'm 100% down with this.

I’ve been saying this for weeks now. If we luck out and get a top sg in the draft then I don’t mind Trent being the starter for 2 or 3 years before transitioning into our elite 6th man.

Plug that center spot with Holmes and sign a vet pg at the min that’s definitely a second round team next year min.

I'd move OG to PF and Trent and the pick play the wingmen spots, if they could find a Kawhi/Derozan+ kind of trade for Siakam. :nod:
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,755

Post#27 » by ItsDanger » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:43 pm

3 of 9 games > 16 pts. Cleveland, Warriors (no Curry), OKC. Basically 3 really bad teams. He's still a streaky scorer and needs to develop that consistency.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
mcgrady_1
Veteran
And1: 3,159

Post#28 » by mcgrady_1 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:46 pm

When we draft Mobley it should erase all doubt to where he fits.

FVV, Flynn
Trent, Bembry
OG, McDermott? Hardaway? Barton?
Siakam, Boucher
Mobley, Birch
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#29 » by dagger » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:55 pm

I think Trent Jr is our starter next season, unless we draft a SG or combo top 3. Anything else gives us the luxury of bringing our draft pick off the bench, even sending him to the 905 for extra work. (politically, a top 3 pick and his agent isn't going to look kindly on being sent to the 905 unless he struggles to the point where he isn't seeing the court much.)
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,581

Post#30 » by Zeno » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:28 pm

My concern with a Fred, Trent, OG, Siakam core is that there is a lack of playmaking, foul drawing and rebounding. That is a lot of skills for one player to fill. Do you go big and likely get the rebounding but not so much the playmaking or do go smaller and likely sacrifice the rebounding.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
youngRAPZ
Senior
And1: 449

Post#31 » by youngRAPZ » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:30 pm

Zeno wrote:My concern with a Fred, Trent, OG, Siakam core is that there is a lack of playmaking, foul drawing and rebounding. That is a lot of skills for one player to fill. Do you go big and likely get the rebounding but not so much the playmaking or do go smaller and likely sacrifice the rebounding.

I’d hope we luck into a top 4 pick and take Cade green or Suggs. And sign Holmes. Problems solved

tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,967

Post#32 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:37 pm

Empty. The. MFn. Clip.

That will be Gary's role going forward. He's not T-Ross. He's a potential DeMar who shoots 3s at 40% and gives a damn about defence. Needs to work more on his handles and passing, the way DeMar did at his age.

GLF wrote:

FVV/Malachi
GTJ/Draft Pick
OG/Bembry/Yuta
SIakam/Boucher

I'm 100% down with this.

Look at Richaun Holmes' stats last night. +18 in 34 minutes, in a 16 point Kings loss to the Jazz. Raps with a legit C like that would be a real contender.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,474

Post#33 » by Spida888 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:46 pm

Yeah he will be the starting SG unless he turns into a pumpkin next year after a big contract. I don't see it though, kid has a lot of fire in him.

In the lucky event where we get a top 5 pick, we can still bring the rookie off the bench at least initially until they get more NBA experience. If that rookie is really outplaying GTJ or whomever, you can bench that player then. It would really be a good problem to have :D, too many good players.
Jerry Lucas
Pro Prospect
And1: 756

Post#34 » by Jerry Lucas » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:01 pm

Jtoneller1 wrote:Was talking to my buddy last night and he was shocked that I don't see GTJr as a starter with this core (If we assume a core of Fred, OG, Siakam). I see him as more of an elite 6/7 man just due to his lack of an elite handle and drive game. In an ideal scenario, Cade or Green would fill that role next year. Am I crazy?

Sent from my SM-A705W using RealGM mobile app

I think he will be a starter on this team going forward but I don't think he will be a superstar closer on a championship contending team in a league where only Dirk, Lebron, Kawhi, Steph and KD have led their teams to chips since Lebron started the superteam era. All future hall of famers.

I just don't see a hall of fame ceiling in Trent that is necessary to be a true superstar closer. But mark my words, Cade and Jalen Green will likely both go down as future hall of famers, and adding one of them to play with the young core of Malachi/OG/Trent would IMO give this team a very bright future as opposed to a 2nd round exit future.
Tre Mann should have been a Top 10 Pick in the 2021 Draft

Team Find The Next Superstar Closer
Rodrickle
Pro Prospect
And1: 578

Post#35 » by Rodrickle » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:06 pm

Jerry Lucas wrote:
Jtoneller1 wrote:Was talking to my buddy last night and he was shocked that I don't see GTJr as a starter with this core (If we assume a core of Fred, OG, Siakam). I see him as more of an elite 6/7 man just due to his lack of an elite handle and drive game. In an ideal scenario, Cade or Green would fill that role next year. Am I crazy?

I think he will be a starter on this team going forward but I don't think he will be a superstar closer on a championship contending team in a league where only Dirk, Lebron, Kawhi, Steph and KD have led their teams to chips since Lebron started the superteam era. All future hall of famers.

I just don't see a hall of fame ceiling in Trent that is necessary to be a true superstar closer. But mark my words, Cade and Jalen Green will likely both go down as future hall of famers, and adding one of them to play with the young core of Malachi/OG/Trent would IMO give this team a very bright future as opposed to a 2nd round exit future.
Very small chance we get a top 4 pick IMO. We'll have to either find one 6-14 pick with potential like moody, Keon Johnson, Ziaire etc, and/or hope Gary develops and make a trade/signing down the road

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,490

Post#36 » by Bruin » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:07 pm

Developing GTJ to be a player off the bench would be insane for us to do. Makes no sense unless we had another SG prospect with Goat potential. GTJ provides the shot making that this team otherwise sorely lacks. You don’t bench a 22 year old who plays the way he’s been playing. He’s gotta be the starting SG for now and the future
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,297

Post#37 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:09 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:FVV/Flynn
GTJ
Cade
OG
Siakam

If you're still a believer in the Siakam at C and OG at PF after this season then man... you haven't suffered enough. This team needs a real starting center, period.

If Trent has to go to the bench because we have gotten someone better than him then that's a great problem to have. We need to get the most talented player possible and worry about positions after.

OG went from starting in 2018 as a rookie to being a bench player who wasn't used that often in 2019 because we got Kawhi. Do any of us regret that? Hell no!!
Jerry Lucas
Pro Prospect
And1: 756

Post#38 » by Jerry Lucas » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:10 pm

Rodrickle wrote:
Jerry Lucas wrote:

Very small chance we get a top 4 pick IMO. We'll have to either find one 6-14 pick with potential like moody, Keon Johnson, Ziaire etc, and/or hope Gary develops and make a trade/signing down the road

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app

If we finish below Cleveland and Washington which is still a realistic scenario, we'll have the 6th best odds with a 40% chance at a top 4 pick. To me 40% is not a very small chance.
Tre Mann should have been a Top 10 Pick in the 2021 Draft

Team Find The Next Superstar Closer
a0k47
Ballboy
And1: 59

Post#39 » by a0k47 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:16 pm

Meursault wrote:he's 22, played 8 games for the Raptors, and just scored 44 points. You're not crazy, you're just basing your ideas and opinions off of very limited, subjective assumptions. You don't even know who the Raptors are going to draft/sign/lose in the offseason to factor into this decision, so unless you're an elite NBA scout or came from the future in 2025, you might be right. But you might also be wrong.

</thread>

At this trajectory who knows!

Read on Twitter
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,134

Post#40 » by Dalek » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:23 pm

I really like Trent as a future starting SG but with a core like FVV, Trent, OG, Siakam they lack an elite event creator. I mean the gaps between Powell and Trent are not that great.

Once they sign Trent they can further take stock but he could be a key asset to flip to a team for a true super star. Think of a Caris Lavert being part of a package for Harden. Trent is young with marketability and skill that any team would like.

Return to Toronto Raptors