ImageImageImageImageImage

Freddie Gillespie Highlights

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Freddie Gillespie Highlights 

Post#1 » by nabbs » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:21 pm

Lot of good stuff in here with his screen setting, soft touch, rim running and rotations

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,729

Re: Freddie Gillespie Highlights 

Post#2 » by Duffman100 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:26 pm

It’s incredibly sad how excited I am by a big man that actually does things on the court

Further highlights how terrible Baynes is. With Gillespie and Birch, I see no reason why Baynes should ever see the floor.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,833

Post#3 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:29 pm

Elite screen setter and layup package.

All-Star potential
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,455

Post#4 » by Brinbe » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:31 pm

I don't think anyone would say he's amazing or anything but he's functional. Takes up space, boxes out properly, sets good screens, hustles his butt off and gives effort on defense..

When you have a heady point guard like Flynn, that's sometimes all you need. He'll feed you the ball in the right spots if you get there.

But let's maybe see how he does against a team not the Cavs. But not too bad for G-league call-up. There's something to work with here and that's encouraging. With our development staff, there is a bit of intriguing potential here, especially if he learns some low post tricks to compensate for his lack of real explosive athleticism.

I rather run him with Birch as a combo the rest of the year rather than give Baynes anymore playing time.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#5 » by lobosloboslobos » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:33 pm

i LOVE how we only how allow smart guys on our team. you can just tell he is playing with an awareness of his role and what the right play is. i think it's fundamentally why despite his many skills we got rid of TD, who did dumb things on and off the court and we don't have guys on our team who do dumb things. smart plays are winning plays. :)
GLF
Junior
And1: 393

Post#6 » by GLF » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:39 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:i LOVE how we only how allow smart guys on our team. you can just tell he is playing with an awareness of his role and what the right play is. i think it's fundamentally why despite his many skills we got rid of TD, who did dumb things on and off the court and we don't have guys on our team who do dumb things. smart plays are winning plays. :)

Exactly! That's definitely why TD isn't here anymore. Also for Freddie G to come to the team with no practice time and pretty much be almost mistake free says a lot about him. I like him. And yes we need to temper expectations because it was the Cavs BUT Baynes didn't even look good against the Cavs. Baynes has looked terrible against trash teams all season so he's definitely better than Baynes. At this point I'll take that.
Tortiglioni
Starter
And1: 3,956

Post#7 » by Tortiglioni » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:58 pm

Duffman100 wrote:It’s incredibly sad how excited I am by a big man that actually does things on the court

Further highlights how terrible Baynes is. With Gillespie and Birch, I see no reason why Baynes should ever see the floor.

Free agent Aron Baynes and the Toronto Raptors have agreed to a two-year, $14.3 million deal with a team option for the second year, his agent, Daniel Moldovan, told ESPN's Bobby Marks.

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,729

Post#8 » by Duffman100 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:59 pm

Tortiglioni wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:It’s incredibly sad how excited I am by a big man that actually does things on the court

Free agent Aron Baynes and the Toronto Raptors have agreed to a two-year, $14.3 million deal with a team option for the second year, his agent, Daniel Moldovan, told ESPN's Bobby Marks.

2nd year is a team option I believe.

edit: Yup team option https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/TOR.html
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,740

Post#9 » by Yeezus_ » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:03 pm

Tortiglioni wrote:

Huh? He was basically the best big man available at that point when we signed him. There’s a team option on the 2nd year, he won’t be back.

Not sure what you’re even trying to get across here.
Yeezy SZN approaching
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,690

Post#10 » by Zeno » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:12 pm

Honestly, I didn’t see much other than the Cavs being horrible. A little on the slow side especially for a non shooter. He might be something because of physicality, long arms and our desperation. Reminds me a little of Isaiah Stewart
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
WeThe2019Champs
Veteran
And1: 2,638

Post#11 » by WeThe2019Champs » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:14 pm

He already did more in that game then Baynes did all season combined.
No More Tanking!
visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,378

Post#12 » by visionquest » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:14 pm

From G League stint....

Read on Twitter
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,620

Post#13 » by Psubs » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:22 pm

visionquest wrote:From G League stint....

Read on Twitter

He's useful.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,185

Post#14 » by Tofubeque » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:43 pm

He really showed up big-time NBA centre Isaiah Hartenstein last night
props Turbozone
Tortiglioni
Starter
And1: 3,956

Post#15 » by Tortiglioni » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:51 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:
Tortiglioni wrote:

Huh? He was basically the best big man available at that point when we signed him. There’s a team option on the 2nd year, he won’t be back.

Not sure what you’re even trying to get across here.

It seemed pretty clear to me:

The reason Baynes sees the floor is because the Raptors signed him for 7+ mil. [In my post it explicitly states that there is a team option for the second year, so I'm not sure why this is being repeated.].

In terms of RPM (you can choose any other metric you wish), Baynes is currently ranked 74 of 84 Cs in the NBA. Even if he was paid 1 mil per season, that would be terrible value.

So: Baynes for 7+ mil. is objectively horrible. And, literally, the only reason he plays a single minute is because of this contract. (He won't be in the NBA next season.)
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,889

Post#16 » by ItsDanger » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:00 pm

You can see what a little more aggressiveness can add to the game as compared to Baynes (who just doesn't initiate anything out there, too passive). Gillespie has earned more looks.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,591

Post#17 » by Son Goku 25 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:04 pm

:lol: Nurse is laughing, Baynes not playing?!

Hit the bench Birch!
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,875

Post#18 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:13 pm

WeThe2019Champs wrote:He already did more in that game then Baynes did all season combined.

This debate or complaint or whatever reminds of those posters who thought Bebe was better than Poetl. But hey all sins forgiven.
GLF
Junior
And1: 393

Post#19 » by GLF » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:16 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
WeThe2019Champs wrote:He already did more in that game then Baynes did all season combined.

This debate or complaint or whatever reminds of those posters who thought Bebe was better than Poetl. But hey all sins forgiven.

If this is you standing up for Baynes or trying to compare Baynes to Poetl I truly don't know what Raptors games you've been watching. Baynes is one of the worst players in the league right now. Poetl was and is still a very good player. I wish we had him right now. Anyone who was saying Bebe was better than Poetl doesn't know ball lol. Us saying this new Freddie is better than Baynes really isn't crazy lol. It's truly not hard to be better than Baynes at this point.
anj
Bench Warmer
And1: 909

Post#20 » by anj » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:19 pm

Didn't watch the game, but seeing those highlights – the Cavs effort was disgraceful in just about every clip. Makes you sick as a hoops fan.

Return to Toronto Raptors