ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Tank Continues - 17 games left

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,480

Re: PG: Tank Continues - 17 games left 

Post#101 » by Spida888 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:21 am

Perfect tank game:
- staying close to the tank rivals
- Trent with some inconsistency that will hopefully help temper his RFA offers
- Flynn gaining confidence and hitting big shots, he's a lot more assertive when he's not playing alongside Kyle/Fred

Playing the Spurs tomorrow, Demar usually suits up against the Raps.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#102 » by C_Money » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:22 am

Anyone else very surprised that Khem Birch has been playing 3.5 years and his career high is only 14? He got 13 so effortlessly tonight.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,076

Re: PG: Tank Continues 

Post#103 » by mihaic » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:23 am

Dalek wrote:
johanliebert wrote:Another game where the offence was unwatchable. Flynn can’t run an offence and siakam was indecisive most of the night. Both those guys have a knack for dribbling. nowhere then resetting to dribble some more, at least Flynn gets rid of it early haha.

Yuta’ s the only guy to get some early transition looks for the team something that’s missing without Lowry. Nice fake run in the end there but this game was never close.

I saw that they didn't even have 10 assists entering the fourth. Atlanta was missing guys too but the difference was they were still moving the ball. I just see a lot of confusion. Atlanta going zone just killed Toronto. They couldn't figure it out.

I also put the unwatchable factor on Nurse who decided to play a bench with two centers, one of which is on a two-way. Then have poor Boucher and Siakam try to rebound against Capela. At least Flynn was boxing him out some.

That's tanking, can't you guys see how NN always runs these lineups to put us in the hole. And no timeouts. He won't even argue the refs. He only coaches at the end of the 4th when we are down.

Well disguised tanking IMO.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,494

Post#104 » by bballsparkin » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:35 am

C_Money wrote:Anyone else very surprised that Khem Birch has been playing 3.5 years and his career high is only 14? He got 13 so effortlessly tonight.

I am surprised he has only been playing 3.5 years in the league. I thought he was older.
C_Money
RealGM

Post#105 » by C_Money » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:52 am

bballsparkin wrote:
C_Money wrote:Anyone else very surprised that Khem Birch has been playing 3.5 years and his career high is only 14? He got 13 so effortlessly tonight.

I am surprised he has only been playing 3.5 years in the league. I thought he was older.

Well he’s 28 apparently. So he must have been overseas or in the G League before coming to the NBA.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#106 » by Dalek » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:21 am

mihaic wrote:
Dalek wrote:
johanliebert wrote:Another game where the offence was unwatchable. Flynn can’t run an offence and siakam was indecisive most of the night. Both those guys have a knack for dribbling. nowhere then resetting to dribble some more, at least Flynn gets rid of it early haha.

Yuta’ s the only guy to get some early transition looks for the team something that’s missing without Lowry. Nice fake run in the end there but this game was never close.

I saw that they didn't even have 10 assists entering the fourth. Atlanta was missing guys too but the difference was they were still moving the ball. I just see a lot of confusion. Atlanta going zone just killed Toronto. They couldn't figure it out.

I also put the unwatchable factor on Nurse who decided to play a bench with two centers, one of which is on a two-way. Then have poor Boucher and Siakam try to rebound against Capela. At least Flynn was boxing him out some.

That's tanking, can't you guys see how NN always runs these lineups to put us in the hole. And no timeouts. He won't even argue the refs. He only coaches at the end of the 4th when we are down.

I swear almost every time the camera pans to Nurse lately he has his head in his hands. The guy barely gets up to even coach on the sidelines (or at least it always appears he is sitting down). Zero techs and fight in him at this point because he knows this season is toast.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,922

Post#107 » by Reeko » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:22 am

C_Money wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

Well he’s 28 apparently. So he must have been overseas or in the G League before coming to the NBA.

Yep, after going undrafted, Khem played one season in the G league, before going overseas to play for two seasons. Didn't sign with the Magic until 2017.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#108 » by Dalek » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:29 am

C_Money wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

It is weird for me as I remember being excited about Birch when he was on Pitt when their team was pretty decent. He was a crazy athlete back then. He ended up transferring to UNLV where he went undrafted as Junior. He was on the same team as Christian Wood.

It does feel like he has been in the NBA longer, but I think it is because a lot of Raptor fans have wanted to trade for him.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,744

Post#109 » by metafisical » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:46 am

C_Money wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Son Goku 25 wrote:
Serviceable backup to Jose lmfaooo God bless Jose man lol the guy just doesn't lose

Shows how difficult it is to predict what will happen from these drafts.

Look at the top 15 from 2012:

1) Anthony Davis - MVP caliber
2) MGK - Role player
3) Beal - all-star caliber
4) Waiters - Bench player
5) Thomas Robinson - Only lasted 6 years in the NBA as a scrub
6) Lillard - MVP caliber
7) Harrison Barnes - Solid starter
8) Ross - solid bench player
9) Drummond - borderline star (one dimensional)
10) Austin Rivers - bench player
11) Meyers Leonard - bench player
12) Jeremy Lamb - bench player
13) Kendall Marshall - scrub
14) John Henson - bench player
15) Maurice Harkless - bench player

So the top 15 produced two MVP caliber players, one all-star caliber player and a borderline all-star. The rest were mostly bench players.

Those two MVP caliber players, AD and Lillard, have not been good enough to lead their teams to the finals. AD made it to the 2nd round once with the Pelicans in 9 seasons and the Blazers reached the WCF once and got swept. Both are really perfect #2 options beside a true superstar like Lebron, Kawhi, KD etc.

We missed out on Drummond, but JV is better than Drummond and Ross helped us get Ibaka. Ross was actually a decent pick considering that the guys who went from 10-15 were either worse or flat out scrubs.

Yeah this is the reason I don’t get a boner over tanking. The NBA draft has always been a crapshoot and it will be this year as well. The best player might go 15th for all we know.

Remember the Wiggins and Jabari Parker hype from a few years ago? :lol:

What I got from that list is that it is beneficial to have a top 6 pick. There were 2 MVPs and an allstar (3 out of 6, or 50%), while there were none of those from 7 to 15 (0 out of 9, or 0%). That seals it for me -- get a top 6 pick in 2021. tWo forever
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,600

Post#110 » by Ackshun » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:11 am

metafisical wrote:
C_Money wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:

2) MGK - Role player
6) Lillard - MVP caliber

So the top 15 produced two MVP caliber players, one all-star caliber player and a borderline all-star. The rest were mostly bench players.

Those two MVP caliber players, AD and Lillard, have not been good enough to lead their teams to the finals. AD made it to the 2nd round once with the Pelicans in 9 seasons and the Blazers reached the WCF once and got swept. Both are really perfect #2 options beside a true superstar like Lebron, Kawhi, KD etc.

We missed out on Drummond, but JV is better than Drummond and Ross helped us get Ibaka. Ross was actually a decent pick considering that the guys who went from 10-15 were either worse or flat out scrubs.

Yeah this is the reason I don’t get a boner over tanking. The NBA draft has always been a crapshoot and it will be this year as well. The best player might go 15th for all we know.

What I got from that list is that it is beneficial to have a top 6 pick. There were 2 MVPs and an allstar (3 out of 6, or 50%), while there were none of those from 7 to 15 (0 out of 9, or 0%). That seals it for me -- get a top 6 pick in 2021. tWo forever

I remember this draft vividly. I wanted Kendall Marshall because his assist numbers were out of this world.

I also remember Thomas Robinson - his story about losing his mom during the Kansas season and then bringing his sister down to raise her while putting himself through college and getting drafted. Hope he is doing well in Turkey/Russia.

edit - he petitioned for custody after the season ended.
C_Money
RealGM

Post#111 » by C_Money » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:52 am

Ackshun wrote:
metafisical wrote:
C_Money wrote:

I remember this draft vividly. I wanted Kendall Marshall because his assist numbers were out of this world.

I also remember Thomas Robinson - his story about losing his mom during the Kansas season and then bringing his sister down to raise her while putting himself through college and getting drafted. Hope he is doing well in Turkey/Russia.

About 60% of this board wanted Kendal Marshall over Lillard. How we still have veteran posters relying on internet mock drafts after all these years is beyond me. Do your own scouting.

Dr Positivity is the only guy I see going outside the box. Not even sure if he posts anymore.
C_Money
RealGM

Post#112 » by C_Money » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:18 am

Dalek wrote:
mihaic wrote:
Dalek wrote:

I swear almost every time the camera pans to Nurse lately he has his head in his hands. The guy barely gets up to even coach on the sidelines (or at least it always appears he is sitting down). Zero techs and fight in him at this point because he knows this season is toast.

Yeah thats a good point. And not even just him but the whole team looks checked out. Lets hope that doesn’t carry into next season.

But another thing is the reffing is not nearly as bad as it was earlier. You don’t see the rookie refs anymore.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#113 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:05 am

metafisical wrote:
C_Money wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:

2) MGK - Role player
6) Lillard - MVP caliber

The fact we have drafted players like Siakam, OG, and Flynn in the 20's and Poetl late lotto gives me hope for this pick. We have also picked-recruited gems like Norm and FVV outside the first round. When Drummond fell to us and we did not seize the opportunity but we did with OG we have proven we have a scouting staff with few rivals save for Boston and Miami. The selection is more important than the placement. Drummond was a no brainer but B.C. was on his way out. Top 5 in 2021 is consensus so really the argumant is you need a top 5. However, Top 5 would not have been enough in the Lillard Beal draft as MKG, Waiters and TRobb were 3 of the 5. They had to pick Lillard or Beal and not whiff on others. Kris Middleton and Wil Barton went 39 and 40 BTW. Looking at Cleveland as the worst drafting team since they landing Lebron-Kyrie the Lillard draft was an abysmal draft pool rivaling the Bargs similar minefield draft. Even if we get a Poetl pick at 9 pretty sure we are coming home with starter. People called Ross coin toss Ross. Harrison Carlton Banks Barnes.Was he that much better than Amber Ross? UNC players and Duke players are traditionally bad selections. Henson, Zeller, Kendall Marshall. Ouch!
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#114 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:08 am

Lillard going 6 was only because he was in an obscure college program.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#115 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:17 am

C_Money wrote:
Ackshun wrote:
metafisical wrote:

About 60% of this board wanted Kendal Marshall over Lillard. How we still have veteran posters relying on internet mock drafts after all these years is beyond me. Do your own scouting.

Dr Positivity is the only guy I see going outside the box. Not even sure if he posts anymore.

Mufasa had some entertaining takes, that's for sure. It did turn out Jonas could grab rebounds in the NBA, too.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
C_Money
RealGM

Post#116 » by C_Money » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:25 am

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
C_Money wrote:
Ackshun wrote:

Mufasa had some entertaining takes, that's for sure. It did turn out Jonas could grab rebounds in the NBA, too.

He was definitely wrong about a lot of things, but so are the internet mock drafts. The dumbest thing I ever read on Draftexpress was Westbrook doesn’t have explosiveness. Turns out he was the most explosive player not named Lebron James.

The point is, think outside the box because the NBA draft is a total crapshoot.
Knucknbuc
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,732

Post#117 » by Knucknbuc » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:02 am

AbC? wrote:GTJ isn't ready for the vitriol he's about to receive when he signs a big contract. He can get away with nights like tonight from the fanbase right now but they will turn on him pretty quick.

Just look at this board and Siakam. Helped us win a championship and there is straight up hatred for the man now.
yep as soon as he gets paid theyll hate him too . just like demar, fred,pascal,jv thevlist goes back to bosh. you better be lowry because hes the only one who isnt that hated or a rookie on a rookie contract. i also feel like og isnt that hated either him and lowry sort of got teflon

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Ramed Nazored
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,450

Post#118 » by Ramed Nazored » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:21 am

Truth is, we’re not landing a lottery pick. We have virtually zero chance at landing Cunningham. None. I suggest people remove the Ohio logos as their avatars. They’re going to be upset in a few months.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#119 » by will » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 am

Ramed Nazored wrote:Truth is, we’re not landing a lottery pick. We have virtually zero chance at landing Cunningham. None. I suggest people remove the Ohio logos as their avatars. They’re going to be upset in a few months.

It's about time the youngsters stopped being silly. :lol:
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#120 » by will » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:58 am

The Birch x Freddie Gibbs pairing was entertaining.

Birch showing that 3 point shot.

The run is really over with Ron Baynes.

Return to Toronto Raptors