ImageImageImageImageImage

Moe Wagner...should the Raptors grab him?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,760

Re: Moe Wagner...should the Raptors grab him? 

Post#21 » by ItsDanger » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:32 pm

Zeno wrote:Is he really better than Henry Ellenson? Not saying he isn’t but they seem like the same guy. Why not just bring back Ellenson?

Ellenson offense is way better than Wagner. Mo seemed to have struggles defensively at the 5. Still, potential to improve but strictly a backup at this time.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,547

Post#22 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:34 pm

Par36 wrote:
johanliebert wrote:The wiz and Celtics got rid of him that should tell you something.

Are we really making the wizards organization the Pinnacle of good decision making?

As for Celtics.. maybe more of a project and Parker's more ready now?

Exactly, there are rumours of Brad "Best Coach" Stevens being fired. Ainge is in the hot seat to at least get to the ECF.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,547

Post#23 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:08 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
Zeno wrote:Is he really better than Henry Ellenson? Not saying he isn’t but they seem like the same guy. Why not just bring back Ellenson?

Ellenson offense is way better than Wagner. Mo seemed to have struggles defensively at the 5. Still, potential to improve but strictly a backup at this time.

Both have potential, but only see Ellenson as Baynes level that can shoot better.

Damn, Wagner turns 24 in 9 days, Happy Birthday from Danny Ainge! :-?

Ball fake, then 1 hand crossoever with the left for the layup! He just needs better development and the Celtics need to win now. The Raptors can wait the 2 years for him, like how Stanley Johnson looks usable or how Josh Jackson is doing in Detroit. Maybe his prime starts a little later like Boucher?

Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Post#24 » by Par36 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:21 pm

I think this is exactly the kind of player should go after.

Former first round pick, in the wrong situation.

Waive whoever, go get him.
Develop him.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,830

Post#25 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:12 am

Psubs wrote:
Par36 wrote:
johanliebert wrote:The wiz and Celtics got rid of him that should tell you something.

Are we really making the wizards organization the Pinnacle of good decision making?

As for Celtics.. maybe more of a project and Parker's more ready now?

Exactly, there are rumours of Brad "Best Coach" Stevens being fired. Ainge is in the hot seat to at least get to the ECF.

So signing Jabari Parker saves them... Firing Brad Stevens would be the biggest talent giveaway by a team in a decade. Ainge is a fixture and would be hastening his own demise if he made Stevens the fall guy. Ainge's big mistakes include going after me myself and Kyrie and then replacing him with oft injured Kemba. Now Rozier is Bobcatting instead of Kemba. Why couldn"t they have continued to develop Rozier and Smart? Ainge always has a good pick and drafts well he just whiffs in free agency. Lucky he has Tatum to keep rearranging the furniture with.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#26 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:17 am

Wagner was screening ghosts... He has a shot though!
NBJ13
Head Coach
And1: 7,189

Post#27 » by NBJ13 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:40 pm

might as well grab the michigan product, it looks like the raps are trying for a miracle play-off run

could make things interesting with a full healthy lineup
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#28 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:58 pm

NBJ13 wrote:might as well grab the michigan product, it looks like the raps are trying for a miracle play-off run

No they are not. The bubble brigade is playing for their careers. Raps want out at the highest levels hence everyone sitting out.
Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Post#29 » by Par36 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:34 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
NBJ13 wrote:might as well grab the michigan product, it looks like the raps are trying for a miracle play-off run

No they are not. The bubble brigade is playing for their careers. Raps want out at the highest levels hence everyone sitting out.

I really can't wrap my head around when people actually think they are trying.

It's just alot of Ben Uzoh's
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,685

Post#30 » by Badonkadonk » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:47 pm

Trying for a miracle run when the team is resting their guys so much, the league fines them?

As for Wagner himself, I'd rather roll with Gillespie/Birch with an eye towards what they can do next year (Birch for the short-mid term and Gillespie long-term).
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#31 » by Alfred » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:17 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:I've always been a fan, but at this point in the season there's a C crew that's working out just fine. Let them run with it.

That's. The. Problem.

Also, Khem and Gill are both undersized and not really shooters. Wagner's only shooting 31% from 3 right now, but he could improve under Nurse.

Wagner's not without talent. He was drafted 25th overall in the first round back in 2018. It seems like an anomaly that someone like that is available for nothing. Hard to resist. But where are the Raps in terms of roster spots?

Gillespie is not undersized. He's 250+ pounds with a 9'3" standing reach.
NBJ13
Head Coach
And1: 7,189

Post#32 » by NBJ13 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:49 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:

Trying for a miracle run when the team is resting their guys so much, the league fines them?

When you look at Chicago's troubles and listen to Nick talk in his interviews they might have no choice but take a run in the playoffs. The other teams look to have more tank buy in.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,685

Post#33 » by Badonkadonk » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:25 pm

NBJ13 wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:

When you look at Chicago's troubles and listen to Nick talk in his interviews they might have no choice but take a run in the playoffs. The other teams look to have more tank buy in.

I don't think the other teams have more tank buy-in, the Raps have more starters out than anybody, some for no reason. The Bulls in particular are trying very hard to actually make it.

Maybe I misunderstand you and we're saying the same thing, but short of throwing games on the court, the Raps are simply going to be better than the Bulls (pretty much all the bad EC teams) as long as games have to be played.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,582

Post#34 » by Zeno » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:23 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
NBJ13 wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:Trying for a miracle run when the team is resting their guys so much, the league fines them?

I don't think the other teams have more tank buy-in, the Raps have more starters out than anybody, some for no reason. The Bulls in particular are trying very hard to actually make it.

Maybe I misunderstand you and we're saying the same thing, but short of throwing games on the court, the Raps are simply going to be better than the Bulls (pretty much all the bad EC teams) as long as games have to be played.

There seems to be a lot of posters that just say ‘Raps going all in for 9th” type comments regardless of all evidence to the contrary. In fact there was a post here in this thread suggesting picking up Moe Wagner was a win now move. A young player discarded from multiple not very good teams.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#35 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:57 pm

NBJ13 wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:

Well you tell Flynn get the the ball to Stanley for 3's. Guaranteed bricks.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#36 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:02 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:

As for Wagner himself, I'd rather roll with Gillespie/Birch with an eye towards what they can do next year (Birch for the short-mid term and Gillespie long-term).

Absolutely. Perfect reason to add Kai Jones to that. If we are back in the race for high seeding we can go for a playoff rental.
Boardbreaker
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,865

Post#37 » by Boardbreaker » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:27 pm

Would he even be playoff eligible if we did end up qualifying?
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,311

Post#38 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:18 am

I was a huge fan of his in college but he does not have a position in the NBA. Too soft to play Center while too slow to play PF. With that said though, I'd love to give him a shot. Not much to lose with and maybe you hope the overall skill trumps his weaknesses eventually.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,298

Post#39 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:08 am

FWIW, some random Celtics board poster said this after they lost to Bulls tonight:

I was really disappointed they cut a legit NBA talent like Wagner. Yeah he's raw and young and needs some work, but he has actual NBA size and skill. We have far too many G-leaguers on the roster with Grant, Tremont, Carsen, Taco and Semi. Mo has far more upside than all of them.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,441

Post#40 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:11 pm

I wouldn't mind.

Kid is only 23 and when he had the opportunity to get some burn last season and was a pretty good three point shooter and a decent rebounder also wasn't afraid to take a charge.

The issue with him is turnovers and fouls.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!

Return to Toronto Raptors