ImageImageImageImageImage

This team ain't tanking.

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Re: This team ain't tanking. 

Post#61 » by Pooh_Jeter » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:27 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Los_29 wrote:Can you imagine trading the GROAT for Tyrese Maxey?
Imagine Cuban trading Dirk for Bebe and an expiring

Dirk was drafted by the Mavs. He wasn't floated in trade talks 3 times during his tenure with them nor did he seriously explore leaving during free agency. He took multiple hometown discounts and never expressed a desire to be anywhere but Dallas and was loyal until the end. He is also an all time great, not just the GOAT of a franchise in its relative infancy with very little history.

It's warm and fuzzy feelings to have Lowry retire with the Raptors, but it's not actually good for the team and frankly it doesn't seem like Lowry or Masai and co feel that way either.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,332

Post#62 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:30 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

Dirk was drafted by the Mavs. He wasn't floated in trade talks 3 times during his tenure with them nor did he seriously explore leaving during free agency. He took multiple hometown discounts and never expressed a desire to be anywhere but Dallas and was loyal until the end. He is also an all time great, not just the GOAT of a franchise in its relative infancy with very little history.

It's warm and fuzzy feelings to have Lowry retire with the Raptors, but it's not actually good for the team and frankly it doesn't seem like Lowry or Masai and co feel that way either.
Lowry was key in bringing a championship to Toronto and he will have his # hanging in the rafters one day.

Pretending he's just some random rotation player is silly.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 18,786

Post#63 » by DelAbbot » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:34 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

lol so the better move is to just bench him for the last 30 games and see him leave as a free agent.

If the games were in Toronto and they were giving him a send off, sure but this is such a lost season. He's not going to play another game for this team.
You could still trade him in the offseason.

Other than maybe Miami, the contenders only have the MLE to spend so if Lowry wants more than MLE, a trade would need to be worked out.

Shouldn't just settle for a crap package especially when it's for the best player in franchise history.

You don't know how the NBA salary works. The S&T is not nearly as valuable. Think about it, why would MIA pay us anything since they have the cap space to sign Lowry outright without his bird rights.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#64 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:36 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:
lol so the better move is to just bench him for the last 30 games and see him leave as a free agent.

If the games were in Toronto and they were giving him a send off, sure but this is such a lost season. He's not going to play another game for this team.
You could still trade him in the offseason.

Other than maybe Miami, the contenders only have the MLE to spend so if Lowry wants more than MLE, a trade would need to be worked out.

Shouldn't just settle for a crap package especially when it's for the best player in franchise history.

You don't know how the NBA salary works. The S&T is not nearly as valuable. Think about it, why would MIA pay us anything since they have the cap space to sign Lowry outright without his bird rights.
I know exactly how it works.

MIA was offering nothing of value prior to the deadline so not much changes in the offseason. Unless you wanted that Oladipo package of crap.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 18,786

Post#65 » by DelAbbot » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:38 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:You could still trade him in the offseason.

MIA was offering nothing of value prior to the deadline so not much changes in the offseason. Unless you wanted that Oladipo package of crap.

If a team like PHI makes a offer for Lowry S&T - what do you think happens to our cap space for summer 2021?
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,401

Post#66 » by KL78192020 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:43 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Imagine Cuban trading Dirk for Bebe and an expiring

Lowry was key in bringing a championship to Toronto and he will have his # hanging in the rafters one day.

Yea hes great, but its done. Stop living in the past. The team and Lowry will both move on, retiring his jersey has nothing to do with trading him or not. if Davis/Thomas could get 2nd round picks so could Lowry.

Whats so good about Lowry being benched for 30 games in a tanking season thats not in Toronto, no crowds, and leaving in the offseason? Either way whats done is done my point was Masai should try to sign him back on the cheap and trade him next year, if not it was pretty stupid to keep him for this tank job thats happening.

I'm sure the better move for Lowry would've been to give a chance to win. I don't think there would've been any ill will from anyone including the fans.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#67 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:47 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:

If a team like PHI makes a offer for Lowry S&T - what do you think happens to our cap space for summer 2021?
It would eat into our cap space.

Masai at least has the option of deciding whether the PHI package is better than what's available in free agency.

Better to have options than take a crap package with no upside.
Raprtors1965
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#68 » by Raprtors1965 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:47 pm

johanliebert wrote:Donā€™t worry theyā€™ll lose a few soon enough. The team beat the Spurs who were in a rough stretch schedule wise and teams like okc/Orlando. I still believe the bulls/wiz finish ahead of Toronto.

Indiana however may fall out of the top 10 they have gone from 6 game cushion to 3 game they have looked terrible.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#69 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:49 pm

KL78192020 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:

Yea hes great, but its done. Stop living in the past. The team and Lowry will both move on, retiring his jersey has nothing to do with trading him or not. if Davis/Thomas could get 2nd round picks so could Lowry.

Whats so good about Lowry being benched for 30 games in a tanking season thats not in Toronto, no crowds, and leaving in the offseason? Either way whats done is done my point was Masai should try to sign him back on the cheap and trade him next year, if not it was pretty stupid to keep him for this tank job thats happening.

I'm sure the better move for Lowry would've been to give a chance to win. I don't think there would've been any ill will from anyone including the fans.
I didn't have a problem with trading Lowry.

I had a problem with trading him for a crap package that wouldnt improve the Raptors now or in the future.
SuppaSlick
Junior
And1: 346

Post#70 » by SuppaSlick » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:49 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Lowry never got us free agents. He's said multiple times he doesn't recruit and won't even recruit players to re sign

He would have been a spur of they offered him an okay amount. They didn't

Finally, I understand his legacy as a raptor and I don't think trading him to a spot that gives him a chance at winning a title is doing him this big disservice lol. We're not shipping him to okc
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,768

Post#71 » by Los_29 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:54 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

It wasn't good for the Heat to keep Wade around or the Lakers to keep Kobe around. At the end of the day, no one offered anything significant for Lowry. Heat traded absolutely nothing for Oladipo and from what's been reported the Sixers weren't even willing to offer Thybulle.

It's embarrassing that people would've actually have preferred us to trade the GROAT for 3-4 expirings and Tyrese Maxey. Some people have an obsession with young players. Maxey was a late FRP and has shown nothing in his rookie season. Very rarely do late FRP's amount to anything and just because he was a late FRP doesn't mean other teams valued him as such. For all we know Masai could've had Maxey pegged as a 2nd rounder or possibly not even on their draft board at all.

You are way better off signing Lowry or looking for a S&T in the offseason than to accept a poo poo platter from other teams. Ultimately, it's the Sixers and Heat who screwed up. Heat are reeling and are playing like crap and the Sixers don't have enough to get through the Bucks or Nets. Lowry on the Sixers would've been a huge get for them.
Los_29
RealGM

Post#72 » by Los_29 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:05 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Lowry was key in bringing a championship to Toronto and he will have his # hanging in the rafters one day.

I had a problem with trading him for a crap package that wouldnt improve the Raptors now or in the future.

Yeah, it really isn't a difficult concept. I was all for trading Lowry if the return was adequate. But when teams aren't willing to offer fair value you simply don't make the trade. It's really that simple. You should never let a team walk all over you and at the end of the day, guys like Tyrese Maxey are a dime a dozen.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#73 » by MadDogSHWA » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:05 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:I will say if Lowry leaves in the off season, what was the point of keeping him

Not taking on salary.

We have to have 30M in salary coming back from the other team. Some of those players are going to be terrible and have multiple years on their deal.

This isn't true.

The Philadelphia offer contained no money beyond this year save for Maxey on a rookie deal.

Also, they didn't have to match 30M, they had to include approx 22.5M in salary.

You're citing a rumor.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#74 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:17 pm

Los_29 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

Yeah, it really isn't a difficult concept. I was all for trading Lowry if the return was adequate. But when teams aren't willing to offer fair value you simply don't make the trade. It's really that simple. You should never let a team walk all over you and at the end of the day, guys like Tyrese Maxey are a dime a dozen.
Yup, if the 76ers were offering #1s or at least Thybulle, that's a different story. But a 3rd string PG and expirings? I'd rather just wait for the offseason and see my options at that point.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#75 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:17 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

:roll:

And you would have preferred the 22.5 or 30 million of expiring salaries played games all month and made us better instead of having Lowry play 2 games and both losses? Pick a lane.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,929

Post#76 » by Ado05 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:33 pm

Sucks that these random guys that wont be here for long are winning the team meaningless games.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by Pooh_Jeter » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:

:roll:

And you would have preferred the 22.5 or 30 million of expiring salaries played games all month and made us better instead of having Lowry play 2 games and both losses? Pick a lane.

Not sure why you need to be condescending.

The rumoured packaged was Green (shuttled to a 3rd team), Maxey and picks. Mike Scott and Terrance Ferguson would have been enough salary ballast to make it work. Neither of those guys would have played. The only guys getting playing time would have been prospects you got back which you obviously want to give development time to anyways.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by Pooh_Jeter » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:10 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
Not taking on salary.

We have to have 30M in salary coming back from the other team. Some of those players are going to be terrible and have multiple years on their deal.

This isn't true.

The Philadelphia offer contained no money beyond this year save for Maxey on a rookie deal.

Also, they didn't have to match 30M, they had to include approx 22.5M in salary.

You're citing a rumor.

A rumour that was cited by multiple legitimate sources as opposed to hearsay on a message board.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by Pooh_Jeter » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:13 pm

Los_29 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:

It wasn't good for the Heat to keep Wade around or the Lakers to keep Kobe around. At the end of the day, no one offered anything significant for Lowry. Heat traded absolutely nothing for Oladipo and from what's been reported the Sixers weren't even willing to offer Thybulle.

It's embarrassing that people would've actually have preferred us to trade the GROAT for 3-4 expirings and Tyrese Maxey. Some people have an obsession with young players. Maxey was a late FRP and has shown nothing in his rookie season. Very rarely do late FRP's amount to anything and just because he was a late FRP doesn't mean other teams valued him as such. For all we know Masai could've had Maxey pegged as a 2nd rounder or possibly not even on their draft board at all.

You are way better off signing Lowry or looking for a S&T in the offseason than to accept a poo poo platter from other teams. Ultimately, it's the Sixers and Heat who screwed up. Heat are reeling and are playing like crap and the Sixers don't have enough to get through the Bucks or Nets. Lowry on the Sixers would've been a huge get for them.

The Heat let Wade go in free agency because they couldn't agree on money. When he came back he was playing on the vet min.
Los_29
RealGM

Post#80 » by Los_29 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:43 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
This isn't true.

You're citing a rumor.

A rumour that was cited by multiple legitimate sources as opposed to hearsay on a message board.

Which ones?

Return to Toronto Raptors