ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors President Masai Ujiri Has Positioned Himself for Jobs Outside the NBA

Moderators: Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, 7 Footer, Rhettmatic, niQ, Patman, pbj, Alfred

Hero
RealGM
And1: 52,141

Re: Raptors President Masai Ujiri Has Positioned Himself for Jobs Outside the NBA 

Post#121 » by Hero » Tue May 4, 2021 7:52 pm

Can we replace Larry T with Masai?
tosi
Assistant Coach
And1: 410

Re: Raptors President Masai Ujiri Has Positioned Himself for Jobs Outside the NBA 

Post#122 » by tosi » Yesterday 3:42 pm

Doesn't pay well but he could be the Premier of Ontario lol
fart wrote:I agree. get over it people. MJ is ridicoulsly overrated that people have developed this perception that no one can challenge him for GOAT.
brownbobcat
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,435

Post#123 » by brownbobcat » Yesterday 9:22 pm

canz55 wrote:You've completely neglected to mention the fundementals behind hiring someone from Wall Street finance in relation to baseball which is boiling down wins and losses into pure numbers (which we all know now as sabermetrics).

So you agree with me that proficiencies in one field can be relevant to success in other fields. That aside, it's an over-generalization that "pure numbers" are all that matter - Fieldman wasn't hired to be an analyst grunt.

canz55 wrote:Davey Johnson - who before becoming a baseball player and subsequently a manager of the Mets - graduated from John Hopkins in Mathematics and later became a key figure in the development behind computerizing baseball simulations in order to make predictions about future outcomes which was a revolutionary way of thinking about the game at that time. His contributions to the game of baseball is what paved the way for statistitions (from seemingly all walks of life) to become invloved in baseball.

Kind of a red herring, but although Davey Johnson was innovative for his time, he started managing in 1978 and hasn't contributed all that much to modern baseball analytics.

canz55 wrote:How does any of that in any way relate to appointing a Harvard educated journalist as the minister of finance for a G8 country (as an example)?

I've already listed the relevance of Freeland's other senior roles. Calling her a journalist is as accurate as calling former Finance Minister Flaherty an ambulance chaser.
canz55
Junior
And1: 434

Post#124 » by canz55 » Today 2:38 am

brownbobcat wrote:
canz55 wrote:You've completely neglected to mention the fundementals behind hiring someone from Wall Street finance in relation to baseball which is boiling down wins and losses into pure numbers (which we all know now as sabermetrics).

So you agree with me that proficiencies in one field can be relevant to success in other fields. That aside, it's an over-generalization that "pure numbers" are all that matter - Fieldman wasn't hired to be an analyst grunt.

canz55 wrote:Davey Johnson - who before becoming a baseball player and subsequently a manager of the Mets - graduated from John Hopkins in Mathematics and later became a key figure in the development behind computerizing baseball simulations in order to make predictions about future outcomes which was a revolutionary way of thinking about the game at that time. His contributions to the game of baseball is what paved the way for statistitions (from seemingly all walks of life) to become invloved in baseball.

Kind of a red herring, but although Davey Johnson was innovative for his time, he started managing in 1978 and hasn't contributed all that much to modern baseball analytics.

canz55 wrote:How does any of that in any way relate to appointing a Harvard educated journalist as the minister of finance for a G8 country (as an example)?

I've already listed the relevance of Freeland's other senior roles. Calling her a journalist is as accurate as calling former Finance Minister Flaherty an ambulance chaser.
Analytics is not "all that matters" but it counts for a lot. It's more relevant to the game of baseball than ever before, just look at how many record number of strikeouts we see today compared to yesteryear. It's all engineered by statisticians figuring out what the root number is for runs over a 162 game schedule.

If you're a baseball guy you'd know Davey's contribution to sabermetrics and how profound that was in the early 80's.

I'm not sure what tangible skill that someone like Freeland brings to the table in relation to her role. You say you already made note of it so you'll forgive me for not having seen it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
ImageWe the Champs...

Return to Toronto Raptors