ImageImageImageImageImage

Why did the Raps give up on Terence Davis?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,080

Re: Why did the Raps give up on Terence Davis? 

Post#101 » by Tor_Raps » Wed May 12, 2021 3:47 am

It's that time again. Davis with another good game going so gotta bump this thread lol.
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,142
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#102 » by PRESTIGE » Wed May 12, 2021 3:53 am

A lot of fans are unable to recognize talent in this league and get caught up in particulars. Terrence Davis is a very good player with potential. Let’s not slander him to find justification for trading him. Sometimes things just don’t work out. I wish the best for him.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,038

Post#103 » by ItsDanger » Wed May 12, 2021 4:49 am

Should do a poll. TD2 at $6M or GTJ at $15M. This guy makes me nervous.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,583

Post#104 » by Syd-TK3 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:09 am

Davis will be better than Trent
It's unfortunate that we had to be the seller and not the receiver in this situation
LarSiN
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,120

Post#105 » by LarSiN » Wed May 12, 2021 5:18 am

I'd still rather have Trent
"I quickly cripple the triple-threat devils, disheveled I level headedly settle on spontaneous combustion tactics. Fact is, nothing is drastic or graphic. I melt the steel like blacksmiths"
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#106 » by Psubs » Wed May 12, 2021 5:27 am

Can we think of the trade as freeing up a roster spot for Birch? I'll say that Matt Thomas for 2nd pick was to have Gillespie.

TD = 2021 2nd pick and Birch
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,407

Post#107 » by Raps in 4 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:59 am

Haters in shambles. Coming up with basketball justifications for why we gave him away for peanuts gets harder by the day (and it already required extreme mental gymnastics before).
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#108 » by tecumseh18 » Wed May 12, 2021 12:08 pm

Against *checks notes* OKC.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,500

Post#109 » by OakleyDokely » Wed May 12, 2021 12:52 pm

1. Trouble with the law.
2. Went against team and NBA protocols by wearing a mask with a hole in it during a global pandemic.
3. They got a 2nd rounder for him.
4. He just isn't that good.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,260

Post#110 » by Raptorfan2012 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:19 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:Haters in shambles. Coming up with basketball justifications for why we gave him away for peanuts gets harder by the day (and it already required extreme mental gymnastics before).

TD is a free agent this offseason, and it does not appear we had any plans to re-sign him (especially since he is probably going to get more then the min). I don't put too much weight on bench players going off in the last month of the season especially when bad teams are usually either done and tanking, or good teams are starting to rest their starters.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,998

Post#111 » by anotherhomer » Wed May 12, 2021 1:52 pm

He just wasn't a good culture fit
Maybe he's not a bad guy
But he needed a fresh start somewhere else
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#112 » by Indeed » Wed May 12, 2021 3:30 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:Davis will be better than Trent
It's unfortunate that we had to be the seller and not the receiver in this situation

Trent is bigger and longer, who is meant to replace Powell at SG/SF, instead of PG/SG where Davis will play, so there is some difference.
With Harris playing well (imo, better than Flynn), and Davis is looking for his next contract, trading him makes sense for both parties.

I am hoping the 2nd round pick may allow us to draft a forward.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#113 » by DelAbbot » Wed May 12, 2021 3:39 pm

I'm neutral to TD gone but I too think TD has higher potential than GTJ. I mean can GTJ do this?

Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#114 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed May 12, 2021 4:11 pm

Indeed wrote:

Trent is bigger and longer, who is meant to replace Powell at SG/SF, instead of PG/SG where Davis will play, so there is some difference.
With Harris playing well (imo, better than Flynn), and Davis is looking for his next contract, trading him makes sense for both parties.

GTJ has an inch of height, but they have the same wingspan. Trent slightly heavier, but TD is a much better athlete.

I'm indifferent on TD's NBA future, but Trent is a meh piece going forward especially with his new contract.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
alfie123
Starter
And1: 1,130

Post#115 » by alfie123 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:37 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Indeed wrote:

GTJ has an inch of height, but they have the same wingspan. Trent slightly heavier, but TD is a much better athlete.

I'm indifferent on TD's NBA future, but Trent is a meh piece going forward especially with his new contract.

There are many things to like about GTJ. He's a second generation player, understands what it is to be a professional, has a great 3 point shot, plays defense, is only 22 years old, seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Man poured in some elite scoring games already for this team without ever getting a chance to really learn our system or acclimate to our players around him. Also undervalued is our ability to develop talent on our team.
ILIKEBASKETSBALL
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#116 » by Indeed » Wed May 12, 2021 4:44 pm

alfie123 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Indeed wrote:

There are many things to like about GTJ. He's a second generation player, understands what it is to be a professional, has a great 3 point shot, plays defense, is only 22 years old, seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Man poured in some elite scoring games already for this team without ever getting a chance to really learn our system or acclimate to our players around him. Also undervalued is our ability to develop talent on our team.

With all these quality, I am also concerned, particularly he lacked the quickness.
Other than being younger than Powell and Davis, his upside isn't better than them, which I agree with the meh expression. However, I think this is the best we get from Powell.

I personally would prefer to re-sign Lowry as the glue guy over Trent, but we don't know the demand and market price for Lowry, so keeping Trent is a safe option, I suppose.
SpiderMunn
Starter
And1: 5,506

Post#117 » by SpiderMunn » Wed May 12, 2021 4:48 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:1. Trouble with the law.
2. Went against team and NBA protocols by wearing a mask with a hole in it during a global pandemic.

5. and he's a Free Agent. With all his issues, we didn't want to invest more money into him, and who knows, he might have left anyway.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#118 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 pm

Indeed wrote:
alfie123 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:

With all these quality, I am also concerned, particularly he lacked the quickness.
Other than being younger than Powell and Davis, his upside isn't better than them, which I agree with the meh expression. However, I think this is the best we get from Powell.

I personally would prefer to re-sign Lowry as the glue guy over Trent, but we don't know the demand and market price for Lowry, so keeping Trent is a safe option, I suppose.

Maturity and professionalism is nice, but it isn't worth 16M or whatever Trent ends up getting. Someone like Yuta has the same for the minimum.

Trent is definitely a good shooter, no doubt about that. He is also extremely streaky particularly since beyond his shot he really doesn't provide much offensively. His defense isn't actually all that good either. All the advanced analytics skew negatively and those who have watched him closely echo the same thing, he tries hard, but he doesn't have the athletic tools and can gamble too much.

I think it would have been more beneficial to secure a package of futures. Yes, Trent is only 22, but he is about to get paid and it's not like he is extremely toolsy.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#119 » by johanliebert » Wed May 12, 2021 5:12 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:1. Trouble with the law.

2. Is irrelevant that’s you going for politics.

Davis past month says he’s a good scorer/shooter.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#120 » by Psubs » Wed May 12, 2021 5:17 pm

TD is only on a 2 year contract so only early Bird rights, correct?

I don't think anyone would've given up a late 1st for him so the best possible would've been two 2nd rounders. I guess 1 is all he could get on the deadline date.

Return to Toronto Raptors