ImageImageImageImageImage

Pascal bought a family home

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,947

Re: Pascal bought a family home 

Post#21 » by refshateRaps » Tue May 11, 2021 1:59 am

Looks like he was finally was able to close something out this year
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#22 » by Metallikid » Tue May 11, 2021 2:07 am

That's nice
canz55
Sixth Man
And1: 2,024

Post#23 » by canz55 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:03 pm

720 wrote:
canz55 wrote:
720 wrote:I know a lot of teachers that have Florida homes since they have time off during the summer every year. Heck our own Leo Rautins lives in Florida during the offseason.
Gotta love those Ontario teachers buying homes in Florida with a government salary...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app

It's usually older teachers that have reached the maximum pay scale (98,000 dollars a year I believe). I make a little over half that.
If it was up to me I'd have them capped at 75k for life.

ImageWe the Champs...
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#24 » by HiJiNX » Tue May 11, 2021 1:56 pm

canz55 wrote:
720 wrote:
canz55 wrote:Gotta love those Ontario teachers buying homes in Florida with a government salary...

It's usually older teachers that have reached the maximum pay scale (98,000 dollars a year I believe). I make a little over half that.

Then you drastically undervalue the role teachers have in society and the difficulty of the job. Speak to any successful person and they’re going to name a teacher (or several) that changed their lives.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#25 » by 720 » Tue May 11, 2021 4:49 pm

canz55 wrote:
720 wrote:
canz55 wrote:Gotta love those Ontario teachers buying homes in Florida with a government salary...

Okay.
canz55
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by canz55 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:23 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
canz55 wrote:
720 wrote:It's usually older teachers that have reached the maximum pay scale (98,000 dollars a year I believe). I make a little over half that.

Then you drastically undervalue the role teachers have in society and the difficulty of the job. Speak to any successful person and they’re going to name a teacher (or several) that changed their lives.
If you want to teach, then teach. If teaching is your motivation and professional passion then why should remuneration matter that much? Seventy-five thousand dollars is a living wage in this province after all. Whats the reason behind Ontario teachers making close to 6 figures with pension contributions that are matched?

My tax dollars right now are paying for Ontario teachers to own houses in Florida. Does the disposable income and golden pensions make the kids perform better on average? If it does then I'd love to see the data on that.
ImageWe the Champs...
RealGM

Post#27 » by 720 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:35 pm

canz55 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
canz55 wrote:If it was up to me I'd have them capped at 75k for life.

If you want to teach, then teach. If teaching is your motivation and professional passion then why should remuneration matter that much? Seventy-five thousand dollars is a living wage in this province after all. Whats the reason behind Ontario teachers making close to 6 figures with pension contributions that are matched?

My tax dollars right now are paying for Ontario teachers to own houses in Florida. Does the disposable income and golden pensions make the kids perform better on average? If it does then I'd love to see the data on that.

Not a lot of people in education make 6 figures. The only guys making 6 figures usually are principals, board members etc.

Also keep in mind to make 90k+ it takes level 7 A4 classification. Which is usually a masters program or additional learning certifications which take multiple years and tuition. Oh and you have to have at a minimum 10 years of full time teaching experience, to put it into perspective a police officer has a similar pay raise but instead of 10 years it's 5.

Even with that most teachers don't get masters programs and don't get the necessary additional qualifications. Most stay around the 70-80k range even with say 20 years of experience.
canz55
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by canz55 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:52 pm

720 wrote:
canz55 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:Then you drastically undervalue the role teachers have in society and the difficulty of the job. Speak to any successful person and they’re going to name a teacher (or several) that changed their lives.

Not a lot of people in education make 6 figures. The only guys making 6 figures usually are principals, board members etc.

Also keep in mind to make 90k+ it takes level 7 A4 classification. Which is usually a masters program or additional learning certifications which take multiple years and tuition. Oh and you have to have at a minimum 10 years of full time teaching experience, to put it into perspective a police officer has a similar pay raise but instead of 10 years it's 5.

Even with that most teachers don't get masters programs and don't get the necessary additional qualifications. Most stay around the 70-80k range even with say 20 years of experience.
My wife is an RN in a local hospital birthing unit and has to pull screaming infants out of young women while there's bodily fluids flying everywhere, many times in the middle of the night because its shift work.

I bring this up to say that: no one forced her to become a nurse. She went to nursing school knowing that it was a shift-work profession with salary limits in a highly regulated setting.

The difference between her and your average Ontario teacher is that the union representing Ontario nurses didn't negotiate the same level of deals with equally desirable outcomes and its mostly because nurses can't strike. Its illegal for nurses to strike.
Ultimately, none of this is determined by a market with competing wages which is why a lot of people want public service positions because they know what they're getting. I'm not saying being a teacher is easy, but without even knowing you as a person I'd wager a guess you're not trading jobs to work as a nurse (education requirements being equal across the board).
ImageWe the Champs...
RealGM

Post#29 » by 720 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:08 pm

canz55 wrote:
720 wrote:
canz55 wrote:If you want to teach, then teach. If teaching is your motivation and professional passion then why should remuneration matter that much? Seventy-five thousand dollars is a living wage in this province after all. Whats the reason behind Ontario teachers making close to 6 figures with pension contributions that are matched?

My wife is an RN in a local hospital birthing unit and has to pull screaming infants out of young women while there's bodily fluids flying everywhere, many times in the middle of the night because its shift work.

I bring this up to say that: no one forced her to become a nurse. She went to nursing school knowing that it was a shift-work profession with salary limits in a highly regulated setting.

The difference between her and your average Ontario teacher is that the union representing Ontario nurses didn't negotiate the same level of deals with equally desirable outcomes and its mostly because nurses can't strike. Its illegal for nurses to strike.
Ultimately, none of this is determined by a market with competing wages which is why a lot of people want public service positions because they know what they're getting. I'm not saying being a teacher is easy, but without even knowing you as a person I'd wager a guess you're not trading jobs to work as a nurse (education requirements being equal across the board).

So it's now the average teachers fault their union is one of the best in the country? Also most people don't jump into the industry because of income, if people wanted to make money they would go into something more lucrative.

Like I said, the average teacher starts at 45 thousand a year and it takes a decade to build it up to get to the 70-80k range (with additional qualifications).
No other profession gets their wages scrutinized like teachers do. Don't know why that is. I feel like making 60-80k with experience is reasonable after the 6 years of uni and years of substitute work to eventually getting full time pay.

As for me trading jobs, no I wouldn't want to be a nurse. I enjoy teaching and it's something I've wanted to do in some capacity since I was a teenager. Keep in mind in such a hypothetical trade I would be making more money as a Nurse but it's not about money. It's about what people enjoy to do.
FreshyFlames
Rookie
And1: 1,044

Post#30 » by FreshyFlames » Tue May 11, 2021 9:31 pm

DelAbbot wrote:Why not buy a house for his mom in Toronto? Isn't that his home for the next 3 years?

Why does his mom have to live in Toronto? He's a grown man.
Raps in 6ix
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,007

Post#31 » by DelAbbot » Tue May 11, 2021 9:36 pm

FreshyFlames wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:Why not buy a house for his mom in Toronto? Isn't that his home for the next 3 years?

I don't know about you, but if I had enough money to gift my mom a house, I would make sure it's in the same city I live in. So she can see her grandchildren without needing to fly and I can see her easily.
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#32 » by Inevitable » Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 pm

That was such an amazing reaction. Brought a tear to my eye.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#33 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue May 11, 2021 10:40 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
FreshyFlames wrote:

I don't know about you, but if I had enough money to gift my mom a house, I would make sure it's in the same city I live in. So she can see her grandchildren without needing to fly and I can see her easily.

Okay, but what part of this applies to Siakam? :lol:
FreshyFlames
Rookie

Post#34 » by FreshyFlames » Wed May 12, 2021 3:04 am

DelAbbot wrote:
FreshyFlames wrote:

It's easy to say that when you're not living the baller life.
Raps in 6ix
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#35 » by Westside Gunn » Wed May 12, 2021 5:27 am

FreshyFlames wrote:

If I hated my mom I would buy her a house in Toronto.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
FreshyFlames
Rookie

Post#36 » by FreshyFlames » Wed May 12, 2021 6:44 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:
FreshyFlames wrote:

Toronto is amazing you must be from the suburbs hating ass
Raps in 6ix
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#37 » by Westside Gunn » Wed May 12, 2021 11:53 pm

FreshyFlames wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:
FreshyFlames wrote:

No but I've had a chance to visit a lot of cities around the world and I'll tell ya Toronto is
TRASH
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
FreshyFlames
Rookie

Post#38 » by FreshyFlames » Thu May 13, 2021 4:01 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:
FreshyFlames wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:

No but I've had a chance to visit a lot of cities around the world and I'll tell ya Toronto is
TRASH

Nope. Go support an American team weirdo. I'd be upset if I lived in the sticks too. Toronto>
Raps in 6ix
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,231

Post#39 » by Childs » Thu May 13, 2021 4:10 pm

BBS22 wrote:
MikeM wrote:Bought it or built it?

All the bricks last playoffs laid the foundation.

I kid. Happy for the guy, worked hard and gave back to his family!

I know its a joke, but even when does nice things, he gets roasted. He could build multiple hospitals and charities and the jokes still fly :lol:
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#40 » by lolwut » Thu May 13, 2021 4:13 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:
FreshyFlames wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:

TRASH

I live in Toronto, and while I wouldn't say it's trash, it definitely has its fair share of problems -- primarily around real estate and transportation, both of which are in complete disarray at the moment.

On the other hand, I would still choose to live in Toronto over many other big cities in the world because the problems that plague Toronto don't make that big of an impact on me personally. I live in the suburbs and drive a car, so public transit is a none issue unless I'm taking the subway to go downtown once in a blue moon. Housing cost is also okay because I can afford the type of house I want to live in.
2023-2024 FatherTrackerâ„¢ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man

Return to Toronto Raptors