ImageImageImageImageImage

Tank World Order (4.0)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

When did you join Tank World Order?

From day 1.
20%
After our 2-8 start.
26%
When Covid hit the team and we went on a huge losing streak.
38%
Never.
16%

Total votes: 194

Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Re: Tank World Order (4.0) 

Post#581 » by Danny1616 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 1:56 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:So the team started tanking in late March and you have a quote from April 17th about the POSSIBILITY of sitting down the stretch? You literally just disproved your own argument. This was when FVV had a legit hip injury too.

Beyond the last 5 or 6 games Lowry was the only player consistently rested. OG and FVV were legit hurt for the majority of their absences. They only had select rest days for injury maintenance, etc.

They had already started resting Lowry, Fred and others in late March.

Lowry had missed a few games with a "toe infection" in March and came back for 1 game in early April and then missed another 4-5 games after they said his toe was completely fine. After 4-5 games he suddenly played again and looked great. That's when he made the sarcastic comment about him being "extremely rested." At the same time Fred hinted that management was going in a direction that wasn't necessarily what the players wanted, but he understood what they were doing.

Why are you misconstruing the facts again?

It was so obvious the team was tanking at this time. I'm still awestruck about how some of you are debating such useless stuff. The team literally did what you wanted them to do and you are STILL finding any reason to be negative.
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#582 » by Danny1616 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 2:05 pm

Steelo Green wrote:Why are people comparing teams who were playoff teams with us? They needed to bring guys back.

We should compare to the teams who tanked well. OKC, GSW last year. GSW sat Steph when they knew season was a wash with a broken hand for 3 months.

This season was a wash in Feb. There was no reason to bring Kyle back, or Fred + Pascal back to tank. Had they sat with COVID + hip, no one would have batted an eye.

As I said - the way the season played out with games played, Raptors tried to make the play in.

From April 14-18 we won 3 straight, two games back of the play in. Bring back Siakam and Fred the next game and where we win then right back in the hunt.

We lose 4/5 and it’s not until we lose 4 straight that we decide to sir Pascal.

Again - the facts are all there as to when we decided to pull the plug.

Okay?

Steph broke his hand.

It was estimated he would return sometime in the middle or latter half of February.

Just four games into the 2019-2020 NBA season, two-time MVP Steph Curry landed awkwardly after a lay-up, breaking a bone in his left hand. Two days later he underwent surgery to realign the break. He’s been ruled out for at least three months – about half of the regular season – but is expected to make a full recovery around All-star weekend (February 15-16).

Also:

Metacarpal fractures can vary greatly in severity, with corresponding recovery times ranging from ~3 weeks to ~6 months. Treatment options depend on the severity of the break. For milder injuries, non-surgical bone realignment and immobilization is often recommended. However, more serious injuries may require surgery.

Curry returned on March 6th. There were still about 18 games left in the season when he returned. He returned just a couple weeks later after his "estimated timeline" which was supposed to be at least 3 months. Then a few days later, Covid hit and the league was suspended.

So why would the Warriors even let Curry return according to your logic?
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,514

Post#583 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Jun 4, 2021 2:37 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:So the team started tanking in late March and you have a quote from April 17th about the POSSIBILITY of sitting down the stretch? You literally just disproved your own argument. This was when FVV had a legit hip injury too.

Beyond the last 5 or 6 games Lowry was the only player consistently rested. OG and FVV were legit hurt for the majority of their absences. They only had select rest days for injury maintenance, etc.

They had already started resting Lowry, Fred and others in late March.

Lowry had missed a few games with a "toe infection" in March and came back for 1 game in early April and then missed another 4-5 games after they said his toe was completely fine. After 4-5 games he suddenly played again and looked great. That's when he made the sarcastic comment about him being "extremely rested." At the same time Fred hinted that management was going in a direction that wasn't necessarily what the players wanted, but he understood what they were doing.

Why are you misconstruing the facts again?

It was so obvious the team was tanking at this time. I'm still awestruck about how some of you are debating such useless stuff. The team literally did what you wanted them to do and you are STILL finding any reason to be negative.
It's telling that these guys spend more time whining about the tank than actually discussing the draft and the prospects available in the top 7 or 8.
RealGM
And1: 66,481

Post#584 » by 720 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:14 pm

If we're ass the next couple years Emoni will be draft eligible in 2023. His covid year was a down year when it comes to his raw stats and efficiency but he'll get better. Lots of people compare him to KD (KD was 6 foot 8 in college and when he first became draft eligible, same height as Emoni now).

Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#585 » by Pooh_Jeter » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:42 pm

720 wrote:If we're ass the next couple years Emoni will be draft eligible in 2023. His covid year was a down year when it comes to his raw stats and efficiency but he'll get better. Lots of people compare him to KD (KD was 6 foot 8 in college and when he first became draft eligible, same height as Emoni now).

There were whispers he would reclassify to next year, but I guess no dice on that. Like you said, the shine around him has tempered, but he still looks like a really nice prospect.

The Raptors need a influx of young, controllable and just talented players and the draft may end up the best bet.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,848

Post#586 » by JShuttlesworth » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:38 pm

...I keep coming back here thinking this thread will get more interesting, maybe people hoping on the Tank Wagon for next year, but no...... Just people still arguing about whether or not we purposely lost games last year.

Spoiler:
we did
RealGM

Post#587 » by 720 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:39 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
720 wrote:If we're ass the next couple years Emoni will be draft eligible in 2023. His covid year was a down year when it comes to his raw stats and efficiency but he'll get better. Lots of people compare him to KD (KD was 6 foot 8 in college and when he first became draft eligible, same height as Emoni now).

There were whispers he would reclassify to next year, but I guess no dice on that. Like you said, the shine around him has tempered, but he still looks like a really nice prospect.

The Raptors need a influx of young, controllable and just talented players and the draft may end up the best bet.

We NEED a star (top5/10 player in this league type). We're not getting one in free agency. We're likely not trading for one. Hopefully we move up in this year's draft. But if we don't Masai might look into future drafts.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,744

Post#588 » by metafisical » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:32 am

JShuttlesworth wrote:...I keep coming back here thinking this thread will get more interesting, maybe people hoping on the Tank Wagon for next year, but no...... Just people still arguing about whether or not we purposely lost games last year.

Spoiler:
we did

I am still hoping for the 3 year tank. Then we get a Chris Paul-like star and suddenly we look like contenders again when the rookies develop.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#589 » by Steelo Green » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:28 am

People use ad hominems and have no actual responses.

Did the Raptors tank when they brought Pascal and Fred back when they were on their win streak and played them on a B2B. Simple question?

When they won 4 straight and were a game back of the play in, why were they still playing?

Raptors didn’t “tank” until 5-6 games left. Nothing can disprove this.

With regard to Curry, the Warriors had Dray healthy most of the season too and he played 43 games.

Everyone knows they milked the hand injury. He broke his hand end of October and played one game at start of March. Warriors tanked. He came back just for show and that was it. He missed more than 4 months with a broken hand?
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Post#590 » by pingpongrac » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:33 am

Steelo Green wrote:People use ad hominems and have no actual responses.

Did the Raptors tank when they brought Pascal and Fred back when they were on their win streak and played them on a B2B. Simple question?

When they won 4 straight and were a game back of the play in, why were they still playing?

With regard to Curry, the Warriors had Dray healthy most of the season too and he played 43 games.

Everyone knows they milked the hand injury. He broke his hand end of October and played one game at start of March. Warriors tanked. He came back just for show and that was it. He missed more than 4 months with a broken hand?

No, you just don't listen to anyone if the response doesn't align with your opinion. There were numerous responses regarding the fact that the Raptors started tanking way before the last ~5 games.

FVV played in two B2B sets post-trade deadline (March 28/29 and April 26/27), so maybe you're referring to the Raptors bringing back FVV and Siakam for that B2B against the Cavs and Nets in late April. If that's the case, Toronto wasn't in full-blown tank mode yet, but there were numerous signs of a tank as early as the trade deadline (where a proven player in Powell was traded for a young GTJ then Lowry sat out 11 of 14 games while claiming he had been well-rested and ready to play near the end of that stretch).

The game following the loss to the Nets was the clear turning point though. Boucher and GTJ were out with injuries still and FVV sat against Denver. From then on, Toronto didn't play a single game with more than 3 of Lowry/FVV/Siakam/OG/Boucher/Trent. The last 10 games were very clearly tanked, as proved by missing at least 3 of their top 6 players in all of those games and going 1-9 in that stretch (the lone win being the game where Siakam and Lowry combined for 76 points against the Lakers). The last ~5 games that you and others keep claiming as the start of the tank job is just the most extreme point of tanking where the team was playing rookies and unproven players 90% of the time.

Draymond played 43 games last season (in a very shortened season for GSW), but he dealt with a few injuries near the start of the season then sat out 8 of the last 10 games. He played in 41 of the first 55 games though. Seems pretty damn similar to what we saw with Toronto this year with most of their top players (FVV played in 49 of 62 then sat out 7 of the last 10, OG played in 41 of 62 then sat out 8 of the last 10, Lowry played in 42 of 62 then sat out 8 of the last 10, Siakam played in 50 of 62 then sat out 4 of the last 10, etc.).

Regardless, the comparison to the Warriors last year is asinine. Before GSW's 19/20 season even started, they had already lost their 1a/1b player in Durant to free agency and their 3rd best player in Klay had already been ruled out for the year. Curry then went down with a broken hand 4 games into the season. Less than a week into the season, the Warriors -- already a very top-heavy team -- were going to be without all of their 3 best players from the previous 3 seasons for several months (a few days after Curry's injury, there were numerous reports that he underwent surgery and would be re-evaluated in 3 months). At that point, GSW's season was already over, so it made sense to tank. The plan was always to bring Curry back at some point and let him play. He would have played more than "one game for show" if not for the pandemic suddenly ending GSW's season 4 days after Curry returned.

People that wanted Toronto to tank like GSW did the year prior were never going to get their wish unless Lowry was traded AND two of Siakam/OG/FVV went down with season-ending injuries in the first week.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,284

Post#591 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:07 am

Good lawd would ya'll let the debate about if we did or did not tank die?! lol

Neither side is budging on their opinion, you're not going to say something where the other side says "you know what you're right" lol
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#592 » by Danny1616 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:18 pm

First, it's getting extremely tiresome to you see you play the victim during every single argument instead of actual making a response.

Then you make complete black and white statements like "Raptors didn’t “tank” until 5-6 games left. Nothing can disprove this." We literally presented with you with quotes from mid-April (when the Raptors still had about 16-17 games left) were both Fred and Lowry admitted the team was tanking, lol.

With respect to Curry you then say "everyone knows they milked the hand injury. He broke his hand end of October and played one game at start of March. Warriors tanked. He came back just for show and that was it. He missed more than 4 months with a broken hand?"

I literally presented you with the approximate timeline for his recovery. Curry returned about 2 weeks after his approximated timeline and there were still 18 games left in the season. He got hurt right in November and his estimated timeline for recovery was mid-February. He returned on March 6. Covid-19 literally hit the league 4 days after his return.

When you use lines like "nothing can disprove this" and "everyone knows this", despite us literally presenting documented evidence that directly contradicts your statements, you lose credibility.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,804

Post#593 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:47 pm

Raptors started tanking from the very start of the season. First ten gamers Nurse only player the starters big minutes when we were going to lose. Prove me wrong.

There is no difference in being a constant outlier one way or the other. It requires lying to yourself, which would in fact be quite crazy.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#594 » by Pooh_Jeter » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:13 pm

If the Raptors aren't able to get into the top 4 the asset base is looking average at best still. Siakam and FVV haven't proven to be even average efficiency wise in the regular season and it will only get worse come the playoffs. Trent right now is a poor mans THJ and is going to get a hefty contract.

Getting more future assets at the deadline would have made the retooling job so much easier.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
RealGM

Post#595 » by 720 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:52 pm

I just simulated on Tankathon and Orlando got the number one pick 4 times in a row. :lol:
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,848

Post#596 » by JShuttlesworth » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:59 pm

metafisical wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:...I keep coming back here thinking this thread will get more interesting, maybe people hoping on the Tank Wagon for next year, but no...... Just people still arguing about whether or not we purposely lost games last year.

Spoiler:
we did

I am still hoping for the 3 year tank. Then we get a Chris Paul-like star and suddenly we look like contenders again when the rookies develop.

I guess whatever happens, happens. From a team development perspective, I think multiple lottery picks if preferable from my perspective as well. I enjoy building through the draft, I like that feeling of having a young emerging team, everything feels more exciting. We've been dwindling for a couple years now

I like our starting lineup (Fred / GTJ / OG / Siakam) aside from the fact we don't have a big man. Our bench leaves a lot to be desired though.

I look at our bench next year (as it stands) and it looks like it's fully compiled of inexperienced, developing, players. Flynn, Harris, Watanabe, Gillespie, Watson, Birch etc + 3 Rookies. These are players that we're going to be relying on to be productive game after game throughout the course of the season. These are players that are going to make a lot of mistakes.

...I guess if Lowry re-signs one of Fred or GTJ goes to the bench. But I prefer trading Fred for assets if we re-sign Lowry

We just don't project to be a very deep team in 21/22

With all that said it's hard to avoid the play-in tournament with how bad the East is so I assume we'll be in the mix come playoff time. But if we lose someone like Siakam to an extended injury next year, we could lose a lot of basketball games -- Boucher can't fill that void.

*Obviously a lot can change with our roster between now and the start of the season
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#597 » by Steelo Green » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:44 am

Danny1616 wrote:

First, it's getting extremely tiresome to you see you play the victim during every single argument instead of actual making a response.

Then you make complete black and white statements like "Raptors didn’t “tank” until 5-6 games left. Nothing can disprove this." We literally presented with you with quotes from mid-April (when the Raptors still had about 16-17 games left) were both Fred and Lowry admitted the team was tanking, lol.

With respect to Curry you then say "everyone knows they milked the hand injury. He broke his hand end of October and played one game at start of March. Warriors tanked. He came back just for show and that was it. He missed more than 4 months with a broken hand?"

I literally presented you with the approximate timeline for his recovery. Curry returned about 2 weeks after his approximated timeline and there were still 18 games left in the season. He got hurt right in November and his estimated timeline for recovery was mid-February. He returned on March 6. Covid-19 literally hit the league 4 days after his return.

When you use lines like "nothing can disprove this" and "everyone knows this", despite us literally presenting documented evidence that directly contradicts your statements, you lose credibility.

Quotes? What do quotes mean. Nothing. We have the actual game logs. What do we trust? Words of people trying to sell a story? They played the games during that span. How can you tank if you play two back to back games 40 minutes?

Curry was healthy to play with at least 20 games left, but again, unlike us, they knew the season was a wash, so they actually tanked.

Everyone on planet earth knew the Warriors were tanking. They even played Draymond here and there. He would sit for rest from the second or third month of the season.

Yes - all the info is there. All you have are some quotes from the players trying to sell something.

What is your response to our guys coming back with 20 left and then playing B2B post COVID? Or is your quote something to disprove actual games played?

This is similar to your “no one who drafted their own player has a title in the last twenty years with their top pick except one” fallacy.

Just saying someone is wrong and then saying they’re dishonest isn’t really any discussion, it’s just conjecture and me right, you wrong.

But sure - let’s use a quote over the actual game log.

Either way - the discussion is pointless and going in circles.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,634

Post#598 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:21 pm

The Raptors literally showed up for basketball games and didn't forfeit them all. Therefore they weren't tanking. You can't disprove this.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,514

Post#599 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:43 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:The Raptors literally showed up for basketball games and didn't forfeit them all. Therefore they weren't tanking. You can't disprove this.
Raps problem was that they started 5 players. Should've started 4.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,634

Post#600 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:44 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:The Raptors literally showed up for basketball games and didn't forfeit them all. Therefore they weren't tanking. You can't disprove this.
Raps problem was that they started 5 players. Should've started 4.

You just have to check the gamelogs!

Post covid,
Lowry missed 19 of the Raps last 27 games. 70%!
FVV missed 15 of our last 33 games. 45%!!
OG missed 12 of our last 32 games. 38%!!!
Pascal missed 8 of our last 32. 25%!!!!

Can't believe we we missed the playoffs with that kind of push.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.

Return to Toronto Raptors