ImageImageImageImageImage

Lowry trending on twitter

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Alfred, lebron stopper, niQ, gojoorange, DG88, Morris_Shatford

User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 31,175
And1: 31,214
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#61 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:27 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:How do you not make win now moves like acquiring Lowry when Lebron is 36? Why would anyone think it's a good idea to waste a year of LeBron thinking they had enough to win. I can't believe they were worrying about THT and some pick thats 7 years out when you're competing for a title today AND you have LeBron.


You make the very wrong presumption that you have enough to win.
Tor_Raps
General Manager
Posts: 9,682
And1: 13,884
Joined: Oct 14, 2018

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#62 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:29 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:How do you not make win now moves like acquiring Lowry when Lebron is 36? Why would anyone think it's a good idea to waste a year of LeBron thinking they had enough to win. I can't believe they were worrying about THT and some pick thats 7 years out when you're competing for a title today AND you have LeBron.


You make the very wrong presumption that you have enough to win.


They definitely had enough even without Lowry. They just got plagued with health issues but that is kind of what AD is. Getting Lowry would have for sure improved their chances of winning a title. It is ridiculous they cared more about a C level prospect over doing their best to win right now.
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 31,175
And1: 31,214
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#63 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:34 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:How do you not make win now moves like acquiring Lowry when Lebron is 36? Why would anyone think it's a good idea to waste a year of LeBron thinking they had enough to win. I can't believe they were worrying about THT and some pick thats 7 years out when you're competing for a title today AND you have LeBron.


You make the very wrong presumption that you have enough to win.


They definitely had enough even without Lowry. They just got plagued with health issues but that is kind of what AD is. Getting Lowry would have for sure improved their chances of winning a title. It is ridiculous they cared more about a C level prospect over doing their best to win right now.


I don't think they did. I think other teams loaded up so much that they should have realized they weren't getting there. Too optimistic given their rosters age anyway. Mainly getting past whoever comes out of the east and Utah seemed like their toughest challenges, let alone the Suns.

I think they had the same issue as Philly, the salary match for Lowry strips your depth no matter who you trade. But why they didn't shore up a little with Hill type player at guard is beyond me.
ciueli
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,490
And1: 981
Joined: Apr 11, 2007

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#64 » by ciueli » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:42 pm

Skeezo wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure how any of this helps us...

Does seeing the teams that passed on Lowry eliminated from the playoffs make me feel any better that we are still likely to lose Lowry for nothing this offseason? Not really...



What's the point in trading Lowry for something if it's a useless something that doesn't improve the team? I do not understand this mentality, "I'd rather have bad players or bad contracts in return for our star than lose him for nothing." Masai didn't trade Kyle because there was no point because none of the teams that wanted him were offering anything beyond bad players on bad contracts.
sidsid
Starter
Posts: 2,341
And1: 1,699
Joined: Jun 03, 2003

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#65 » by sidsid » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:16 pm

kalel123 wrote:
Tacoma wrote:Let's be real here, 3 teams expressed interest at the trade deadline:

MIA: They literally got blown away by MIL. Having Lowry would not have made a difference to beating MIL.
LAL: If everyone were healthy, having Lowry would've made a difference, but without AD who's injured now, LAL have no chance with or without Lowry.
PHI: Lowry likely makes a difference but Embiid now has a meniscus tear in his right knee, which doesn't sound good. If he's out for an extended time, then PHI is done with or without Lowry.

LAC would've also been advantaged with Lowry but they weren't really in the picture as they didn't have any picks to trade away or young assets of interest.


I think Lakers would've had a legit chance against the Suns at least having been ahead like they were earlier in the series. Lowry would've at least made a difference in a game or two and they would at least still be alive giving AD a chance to recover and (hopefully) come back.


That's the big reason the Lowry trade should have been an absolute no-brainer for the Lakers.

It's not to compensate for losing AD for the entire playoffs, it's to be able to sustain injuries for periods of time. Not just the playoffs, but Lowry could have helped them avoid the play-in. LeBron is old and needs periodic rest (can't carry his team like he used to), and AD is a constant injury risk.

Lowry is a one-man team engine. The only offense that team has is a heat check guard and unreliable 3pt shooters. Lowry is on the same timeline as LeBron (unless people think LeBron is stretching his prime into his 40s).

Once LeBron and Lowry retire they could reload. It was a perfect fit for a team that had very few assets to get anyone better or younger.
User avatar
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 13,378
And1: 25,150
Joined: Jun 14, 2011

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#66 » by niQ » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:24 pm

Read on Twitter
Image
Credits Clutch0z24
VanWest82
RealGM
Posts: 12,716
And1: 12,633
Joined: Dec 05, 2008

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#67 » by VanWest82 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:27 pm

ciueli wrote:
Skeezo wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure how any of this helps us...

Does seeing the teams that passed on Lowry eliminated from the playoffs make me feel any better that we are still likely to lose Lowry for nothing this offseason? Not really...



What's the point in trading Lowry for something if it's a useless something that doesn't improve the team? I do not understand this mentality, "I'd rather have bad players or bad contracts in return for our star than lose him for nothing." Masai didn't trade Kyle because there was no point because none of the teams that wanted him were offering anything beyond bad players on bad contracts.


I think it's fair to say Sixers were probably offering 2nd round picks given that's what they paid for George Hill.
User avatar
SharoneWright
RealGM
Posts: 22,872
And1: 9,136
Joined: Aug 03, 2006
Location: Flavortown, USA.
     

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#68 » by SharoneWright » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:30 pm

ImaBeatDatAzz wrote:lmao i find it very funny, was strolling through twitter and i see lowry trending, im like... oh sht wtf happened. turns out its just all the heat, clippers, and especially lakers fans all mad that they didnt trade for lowry. some funny stuff. still baffled that each franchise thought of lowry as a role player

Lowry was brought up last night on The Ringer podcast. Kind of in passing, but I think it got many Lakers fans thinking..
Is anyone here a marine biologist?
KL78192020
General Manager
Posts: 7,880
And1: 6,590
Joined: Apr 19, 2009

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#69 » by KL78192020 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:31 pm

Don't think he makes a difference for the Lakers or Heat. Lakers still lose because they don't have AD, and the Heat were just horrible, Butler was garbage. Lowry doesn't make that much of a difference, if Embiid is still injured he doesn't move the needle there either.
ciueli
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,490
And1: 981
Joined: Apr 11, 2007

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#70 » by ciueli » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:34 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
ciueli wrote:
Skeezo wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure how any of this helps us...

Does seeing the teams that passed on Lowry eliminated from the playoffs make me feel any better that we are still likely to lose Lowry for nothing this offseason? Not really...



What's the point in trading Lowry for something if it's a useless something that doesn't improve the team? I do not understand this mentality, "I'd rather have bad players or bad contracts in return for our star than lose him for nothing." Masai didn't trade Kyle because there was no point because none of the teams that wanted him were offering anything beyond bad players on bad contracts.


I think it's fair to say Sixers were probably offering 2nd round picks given that's what they paid for George Hill.


Sure, second round picks from a team that is going to be one of the best teams in the NBA for the next few seasons, at that point you may as well let a player go undrafted and invite them to summer league.

The Philadelphia trade always seemed the least likely to me anyway, they were going to lose a lot of rotation players to make the math work, it was almost impossible for them to do it reasonably. The LA trade was almost as difficult, though if the rumors are true there was a way to flip KCP for a more desirable player so it could have made sense. The only team that made a lot of sense was Miami and they weren't willing to give up anyone good and they got Oladipo for virtually nothing so I don't blame them.
User avatar
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,687
And1: 7,590
Joined: Apr 29, 2008

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#71 » by Pooh_Jeter » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:24 pm

ciueli wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
ciueli wrote:
What's the point in trading Lowry for something if it's a useless something that doesn't improve the team? I do not understand this mentality, "I'd rather have bad players or bad contracts in return for our star than lose him for nothing." Masai didn't trade Kyle because there was no point because none of the teams that wanted him were offering anything beyond bad players on bad contracts.


I think it's fair to say Sixers were probably offering 2nd round picks given that's what they paid for George Hill.


Sure, second round picks from a team that is going to be one of the best teams in the NBA for the next few seasons, at that point you may as well let a player go undrafted and invite them to summer league.

The Philadelphia trade always seemed the least likely to me anyway, they were going to lose a lot of rotation players to make the math work, it was almost impossible for them to do it reasonably. The LA trade was almost as difficult, though if the rumors are true there was a way to flip KCP for a more desirable player so it could have made sense. The only team that made a lot of sense was Miami and they weren't willing to give up anyone good and they got Oladipo for virtually nothing so I don't blame them.


It's been reported by multiple sources that Maxey, Green and futures was on the table for Lowry.

The Heat were able to get Oladipo for essentially nothing, but he got hurt. He filled more of a need than Lowry. Dragic and Nunn were good for them.

The Lakers traded for Schroeder in the off-season, signed Harrell/Gasol and then picked up Drummond as a buyout candidate. To say they didn't try to improve their team is disingenuous. Do they regret not dealing for Lowry? Possibly, but it's not like he would have been a guarantee they beat the Suns and certainly if AD was compromised for the entire playoffs Lowry wasn't the difference between a championship or bust.

Raptors fans need to stop using these strawmans to try and put some sort of sheen on what was ultimately a very disappointing season.
User avatar
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,687
And1: 7,590
Joined: Apr 29, 2008

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#72 » by Pooh_Jeter » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:26 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Zeno wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Just THT and filler.

To match salary I think it had to be Schroeder, kCP and THT. There were a lot of reports that suggested we planning to flip KCP to the Nets for Dinwiddie to have his bird rights. So basically bird rights to two guys and rfa rights to THT.


Sorry, to be clear I considered Schroeder to be filler.


He finished 2nd in 6th man of the year voting last year and the Lakers used draft capital to acquire him this off-season. He was more than salary filler to them.
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 31,175
And1: 31,214
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#73 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:31 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Zeno wrote:To match salary I think it had to be Schroeder, kCP and THT. There were a lot of reports that suggested we planning to flip KCP to the Nets for Dinwiddie to have his bird rights. So basically bird rights to two guys and rfa rights to THT.


Sorry, to be clear I considered Schroeder to be filler.


He finished 2nd in 6th man of the year voting last year and the Lakers used draft capital to acquire him this off-season. He was more than salary filler to them.


And he wouldn't be to us. He turned down 4/80. What's your point?
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 31,175
And1: 31,214
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#74 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:37 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
ciueli wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
I think it's fair to say Sixers were probably offering 2nd round picks given that's what they paid for George Hill.


Sure, second round picks from a team that is going to be one of the best teams in the NBA for the next few seasons, at that point you may as well let a player go undrafted and invite them to summer league.

The Philadelphia trade always seemed the least likely to me anyway, they were going to lose a lot of rotation players to make the math work, it was almost impossible for them to do it reasonably. The LA trade was almost as difficult, though if the rumors are true there was a way to flip KCP for a more desirable player so it could have made sense. The only team that made a lot of sense was Miami and they weren't willing to give up anyone good and they got Oladipo for virtually nothing so I don't blame them.


It's been reported by multiple sources that Maxey, Green and futures was on the table for Lowry.

The Heat were able to get Oladipo for essentially nothing, but he got hurt. He filled more of a need than Lowry. Dragic and Nunn were good for them.

The Lakers traded for Schroeder in the off-season, signed Harrell/Gasol and then picked up Drummond as a buyout candidate. To say they didn't try to improve their team is disingenuous. Do they regret not dealing for Lowry? Possibly, but it's not like he would have been a guarantee they beat the Suns and certainly if AD was compromised for the entire playoffs Lowry wasn't the difference between a championship or bust.

Raptors fans need to stop using these strawmans to try and put some sort of sheen on what was ultimately a very disappointing season.


And you need to stop trying to make this pipe dream reality.

By the way, Oladipo was gotten for essentially nothing and was worth essentially nothing. Hurt or not. Even the depth they gave up to get him wasn't worth it. Which was the same problem for Philly.

Strawman... lol. The guy doesn't even try to say it wasn't disappointing. And intentionally.
RapsFan008
Junior
Posts: 375
And1: 314
Joined: Mar 05, 2021
 

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#75 » by RapsFan008 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:58 pm

niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter


Haha that's awesome. If Embiid isn't healthy for the Hawks series, and they lose, it can happen.

I'll be honest though, adding Lowry to the Heat, even if they didn't have to give up significant pieces would not have beaten the Bucks. However, interesting thing is the Heat likely would have had a better record in the regular season with Kyle down the stretch surpassing Knicks and Hawks.

If the Heat instead faced Knicks/Hawks in the first round, I think the Heat would have beaten them and at least gone to the 2nd round with Kyle. Kyle always plays well against Philly, so who knows, they might have beaten Philly too in the hypothetical 2nd round.

Lakers made the biggest mistake in my opinion IF all it took was THT and a future pick 7 years down the road (based on rumors and speculation). They have a small window to win with Lebron and no cap flexibility.
YelloC
Analyst
Posts: 3,384
And1: 4,062
Joined: Apr 19, 2018
     

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#76 » by YelloC » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:07 pm

I actually felt at the time like all these teams were colluding to not give the Raptors fair value for Kyle Lowry.
User avatar
Clay Davis
Analyst
Posts: 3,244
And1: 3,654
Joined: Nov 06, 2013
 

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#77 » by Clay Davis » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:17 pm

YelloC wrote:I actually felt at the time like all these teams were colluding to not give the Raptors fair value for Kyle Lowry.

What was the motivation for it?
We talkin' 'bout money laundering? In WEST BALTIMORE?!
User avatar
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 13,378
And1: 25,150
Joined: Jun 14, 2011

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#78 » by niQ » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:24 pm

RapsFan008 wrote:
niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter


Haha that's awesome. If Embiid isn't healthy for the Hawks series, and they lose, it can happen.

I'll be honest though, adding Lowry to the Heat, even if they didn't have to give up significant pieces would not have beaten the Bucks. However, interesting thing is the Heat likely would have had a better record in the regular season with Kyle down the stretch surpassing Knicks and Hawks.

If the Heat instead faced Knicks/Hawks in the first round, I think the Heat would have beaten them and at least gone to the 2nd round with Kyle. Kyle always plays well against Philly, so who knows, they might have beaten Philly too in the hypothetical 2nd round.

Lakers made the biggest mistake in my opinion IF all it took was THT and a future pick 7 years down the road (based on rumors and speculation). They have a small window to win with Lebron and no cap flexibility.


Yea, I don't think it's been mentioned enough that if the Heat actually traded for Lowry, they likely would've had more wins and likely would've beaten either the Knicks/Hawks, then faced 76ers without Embiid. Even if Embiid returns he's likely not 100%. Ah wells. C'est la vie.
Image
Credits Clutch0z24
YelloC
Analyst
Posts: 3,384
And1: 4,062
Joined: Apr 19, 2018
     

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#79 » by YelloC » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:27 pm

Clay Davis wrote:
YelloC wrote:I actually felt at the time like all these teams were colluding to not give the Raptors fair value for Kyle Lowry.

What was the motivation for it?

The only reasons I can think of would be that they wrongly assumed that Lowry would be bought out if not traded or the other GMs didn’t want to give Masai another feather in his cap.
In a perfect world, the trading partners are viewing the Raptors as a legitimate destination for free agents since winning the title and didn’t want to help us stock the cupboards with assets.
KrazyP
General Manager
Posts: 8,121
And1: 3,706
Joined: Jun 03, 2001
 

Re: Lowry trending on twitter 

Post#80 » by KrazyP » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:31 pm

KL78192020 wrote:Don't think he makes a difference for the Lakers or Heat. Lakers still lose because they don't have AD, and the Heat were just horrible, Butler was garbage. Lowry doesn't make that much of a difference, if Embiid is still injured he doesn't move the needle there either.


The fact that Embiid and AD are injured is completely irrelevant.

When the Raps were in a similar position, they traded Jonas Valanciunas and Delon Wright for Marc Gasol. That was a good trade that arguably put them over the top. If Kawhi had gotten hurt during their playoff run, the deal for Marc gasol would still be a good trade regardless.....the Raps were trying to compete for a title and making moves in line with that goal.

Kyle Lowry this year was actually a much better asset than Marc Gasol was that year.

In contrast to a Ujiri managed team willing to make moves ---- The Lakers, 76ers were trying to compete for a title but also hoarding marginal assets at the same time like Danny Ainge.
Image

Return to Toronto Raptors