ImageImageImageImageImage

Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Alfred, lebron stopper, niQ, gojoorange, DG88, Morris_Shatford

User avatar
ItsDanger
General Manager
Posts: 9,244
And1: 6,028
Joined: Nov 01, 2008

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#21 » by ItsDanger » Sun Jun 6, 2021 6:33 pm

The mortality rate for covid has consistently dropped over your "waves". Its over and now endemic just like various influenza strains.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
C_Money
RealGM
Posts: 20,379
And1: 19,020
Joined: Jun 30, 2008
   

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#22 » by C_Money » Sun Jun 6, 2021 7:12 pm

Lord_Zedd wrote:https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nhl-travel-exemption-approved-1.6055422

Semi-related note. Feds approved of NHL teams crossing the borders for the playoffs- without having to isolate for 14 days.

Just a matter of time now for baseball and regular season NBA/NHL.


Nice! That pretty much confirms we’ll be back in Toronto next season. Hopefully with 100% capacity.
Image
User avatar
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
Posts: 17,370
And1: 7,649
Joined: Dec 19, 2008

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#23 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 7:47 pm

C_Money wrote:
Lord_Zedd wrote:https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nhl-travel-exemption-approved-1.6055422

Semi-related note. Feds approved of NHL teams crossing the borders for the playoffs- without having to isolate for 14 days.

Just a matter of time now for baseball and regular season NBA/NHL.


Nice! That pretty much confirms we’ll be back in Toronto next season. Hopefully with 100% capacity.


It's ova the only thing left is get 80 per cent vaccinated and find out if China covered up the lab leak. Might be kinda important info in order to prevent lab leaks in the future and avoid randomly killing 3,737,566 people.
User avatar
WaltFrazier
Head Coach
Posts: 6,672
And1: 5,355
Joined: Jan 21, 2006
Location: Ontario
       

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#24 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:51 am

Even after covid ends, the government should make it easier for American basketball, hockey and baseball teams to play in TO. (and the other NHL cities). How often do we hear players complain about constantly going through customs? It's one more little impediment to signing free agents. They all arrive on charter planes. They should get some sort of express customs check-in. Make it quick and painless. It's not like there are terrorists or drug smugglers on an NBA flight.
User avatar
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
Posts: 17,370
And1: 7,649
Joined: Dec 19, 2008

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#25 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:05 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:They are playing in Toronto, that is essentially assured with case rates plummeting


Is it? I think he has a point.

It's impossible to discuss this and not delve into politics. The Canadian government needs to make a decision now on sports travel either way. I don't think you're wrong see that it can't be managed and the border opened for sports travel, but they have of course not had the foresight or cajones to rule on anything.

As for Ujiri, I was wondering, is his contract expired already or does it run through the playoffs even if they aren't playing? Because it still not being solved is an issue. And also should not wait until the last minute.


Closing the Canadian border takes Cajones seeing that is unprecedented in several lifetimes. There have been a lot on inconsistencies about who comes in and who goes out and for the first time as well we have had interprovincial travel closed. Our real and biggest problem, and the problem of a loose federation is giving provinces too much rope to open, to close, to open and we're going back to school and congregated work. Oh look outbreaks and provinces had the modeling and acted like 10 tin pot fiefdoms.

If anything the Feds deferred too much after having years of race to the bottom Asia will supply via America just in time inventory. Add to that there was no national standard on Long Term Care and we had an Olympics of jurisdictions which should have borrowed from the Canadian Olympics and called the Covid response "Rent the Podium".

Eleven podiums responding locally to essentially a major international health crisis. The place where in some cases "leaders" would command performance project over emergency health experts. All to stay on message and project that they had decision control over something that infected anywhere it felt like and didn't give a rats about any kind of superficial border or phoney podium posturing.

I think any blame is on all political operators. Garbage private sector skimming long term care. Horrible PPE preparedness. Countless worksite OHS violations. No vaccine production since they closed the Connaught lab in the 80's. A generation of razor thin margin economic policies that begged on the day for just such an emergency. The day when "the job creators" would stand next to average citizens for bailout funding.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 57,022
And1: 21,458
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#26 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:07 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
TheRealDeal wrote:If the Raptors aren't allowed to play in Toronto next year then we might as well permanently move the team to the U.S.

It's a joke that this is even a discussion at this point


Agree, but I could easily see Trudeau making the Raps wait till partway through the season, like the Jays now. We will see if the Jays even do get back to TO this summer or fall, and what happens with the Canadian hockey division winner.


Partway through the baseball season is now. Partway through the next basketball season is in like 6 months.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
douggood
Head Coach
Posts: 6,045
And1: 1,987
Joined: Jun 13, 2001

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#27 » by douggood » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:59 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:Even after covid ends, the government should make it easier for American basketball, hockey and baseball teams to play in TO. (and the other NHL cities). How often do we hear players complain about constantly going through customs? It's one more little impediment to signing free agents. They all arrive on charter planes. They should get some sort of express customs check-in. Make it quick and painless. It's not like there are terrorists or drug smugglers on an NBA flight.

they do go through express customs check-in at the private terminals. (more often than not they do the customs on the plane before deplaning)
and my next question is how often do they do that, west coast teams come here once, east coast teams 2 times.

and for the raptors teams, how many road trips do they go on in a regular season. 41 road games, lets say they go through customs 16-18 times a season.

its just an excuse.
User avatar
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
Posts: 14,271
And1: 13,724
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
     

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#28 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:07 pm

Canada just allowed NHL teams to fly back and forth now. its only a matter of time when they allow us plebs to do the same.
douggood
Head Coach
Posts: 6,045
And1: 1,987
Joined: Jun 13, 2001

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#29 » by douggood » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:09 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:Canada just allowed NHL teams to fly back and forth now. its only a matter of time when they allow us plebs to do the same.

they allowed nhl to bypass the 14 day quarantine only with a modified bubble. And its only 2 teams(1 cdn and 1 american) and possibly for 1 round and if Canadian team gets eliminated, and maximum 2 rounds.

we are stills ways away from Jays and mls getting same treatment.

but as for the raptors, unless variant d/e/f etc get serioursly bad, by sept i expect things to be back to a new normal.
User avatar
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
Posts: 14,271
And1: 13,724
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
     

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#30 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:11 pm

douggood wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:Canada just allowed NHL teams to fly back and forth now. its only a matter of time when they allow us plebs to do the same.

they allowed nhl to bypass the 14 day quarantine only with a modified bubble. And its only 2 teams(1 cdn and 1 american) and possibly for 1 round and if Canadian team gets eliminated, and maximum 2 rounds.


canadian team gets eliminated. they don't have to fly to canada anymore lol.

its only for the conference finals and Stanley Cup. so ya, its only two rounds. :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Psubs
RealGM
Posts: 12,351
And1: 8,104
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#31 » by Psubs » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:41 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:They are playing in Toronto, that is essentially assured with case rates plummeting


Is it? I think he has a point.

It's impossible to discuss this and not delve into politics. The Canadian government needs to make a decision now on sports travel either way. I don't think you're wrong see that it can't be managed and the border opened for sports travel, but they have of course not had the foresight or cajones to rule on anything.

As for Ujiri, I was wondering, is his contract expired already or does it run through the playoffs even if they aren't playing? Because it still not being solved is an issue. And also should not wait until the last minute.


Vaccinations have been going quicker and moving up 2nd shots because there is ample supply now. Those over 70 can today, call to reschedule. All those that want to be vaccinated would have their 2nd shot before the start of the school year and start of basketball and hockey season.
Image
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 31,175
And1: 31,214
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#32 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:09 pm

Psubs wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:They are playing in Toronto, that is essentially assured with case rates plummeting


Is it? I think he has a point.

It's impossible to discuss this and not delve into politics. The Canadian government needs to make a decision now on sports travel either way. I don't think you're wrong see that it can't be managed and the border opened for sports travel, but they have of course not had the foresight or cajones to rule on anything.

As for Ujiri, I was wondering, is his contract expired already or does it run through the playoffs even if they aren't playing? Because it still not being solved is an issue. And also should not wait until the last minute.


Vaccinations have been going quicker and moving up 2nd shots because there is ample supply now. Those over 70 can today, call to reschedule. All those that want to be vaccinated would have their 2nd shot before the start of the school year and start of basketball and hockey season.


We could have 90% vaccinated and it doesn't mean they will open the border since you can still get it after being vaccinated. They currently have no logical way out of their current policies. It's been one knee jerk after another. They lost the handle on this in about December, federally and provincially. If not sooner.
User avatar
JShuttlesworth
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,777
And1: 7,030
Joined: Dec 09, 2013
Location: 6ix 6ide
 

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#33 » by JShuttlesworth » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:22 pm

We're playing in Toronto, you'd be crazy to think otherwise.

I'm sure the Raptors internally know whether Masai is returning, whether he is or isn't they have a plan in place. Just because we are not in the know doesn't mean the 'team can't answer' these questions.
User avatar
WaltFrazier
Head Coach
Posts: 6,672
And1: 5,355
Joined: Jan 21, 2006
Location: Ontario
       

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#34 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:29 pm

douggood wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Even after covid ends, the government should make it easier for American basketball, hockey and baseball teams to play in TO. (and the other NHL cities). How often do we hear players complain about constantly going through customs? It's one more little impediment to signing free agents. They all arrive on charter planes. They should get some sort of express customs check-in. Make it quick and painless. It's not like there are terrorists or drug smugglers on an NBA flight.

they do go through express customs check-in at the private terminals. (more often than not they do the customs on the plane before deplaning)
and my next question is how often do they do that, west coast teams come here once, east coast teams 2 times.

and for the raptors teams, how many road trips do they go on in a regular season. 41 road games, lets say they go through customs 16-18 times a season.

its just an excuse.


I know but it gets mentioned a lot.
Rapsalot
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,761
And1: 1,458
Joined: Mar 11, 2007
Location: Traveling
     

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#35 » by Rapsalot » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:42 pm

Getting off the FA part and play in Canada? Team should think of a US city Rochester or Buffalo and have training and Hotel ready there. First flight Am into city center and bus all the support people trainers, Docs ect. Bus them in to arena and then cater food in. Second flight other teams players and some coaches. Do customs in US and then bring other team in 2-3 hours before game. Play game and send them back on bus and plane. Isolate other team to arena and ask NBA schedule to do 10 home then 10 road type process with extra testing of our team and travel crews. I think they should not have to do this but if it is only way to play home so be it. Put 905 in that city for this year.

Return to Toronto Raptors