ImageImageImageImageImage

Marc Stein: Toronto has expressed interest in Ben Simmons

Moderators: Alfred, 7 Footer, Reeko, lebron stopper, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, gojoorange

Swag
RealGM
And1: 8,184

Re: Marc Stein: Toronto has expressed interest in Ben Simmons 

Post#1841 » by Swag » Sun Sep 5, 2021 7:04 am

Am I the only one that believes Dame doesn’t want to play for the 76ers and is thus keeping quiet until Ben gets traded?

If he wanted to 6ers, he would make it known and a deal would be done.

But I think Morey has really miscalculated this whole situation.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Clay Davis
Analyst
And1: 4,147

Post#1842 » by Clay Davis » Sun Sep 5, 2021 7:21 am

Swag wrote:Am I the only one that believes Dame doesn’t want to play for the 76ers and is thus keeping quiet until Ben gets traded?

Highly doubt they get Lillard for Simmons.
We talkin' 'bout money laundering? In WEST BALTIMORE?!
libertyYYZ
Junior
And1: 261

Post#1843 » by libertyYYZ » Sun Sep 5, 2021 6:14 pm

Swag wrote:Am I the only one that believes Dame doesn’t want to play for the 76ers and is thus keeping quiet until Ben gets traded?

Morey will wear the outcome of this debacle or ****. He's lost a ton of value by asking and holding out for a high price. Until BS plays again, there's a stain on his record and stained goods go for a discount.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
pharring
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#1844 » by pharring » Sun Sep 5, 2021 6:29 pm

I think Simmons' value just goes down from here. Either he sits out (which craters Morey's leverage) or he plays and every outing he does more of the same avoidance of shooting... and every L the 76ers take... is just magnified out of proportion. Morey will end up having to give up more of his own assets for Lillard or Beal, even if either became available, for which there is no guarantee.

This seems more like a Kawhi situation. The trading team (76ers) are not looking for picks or prospects. They need the first controllable All-Star offered.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 7,994

Post#1845 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Sep 5, 2021 6:44 pm

sidsid wrote:
Nebuchadnezzar wrote:
sidsid wrote:If Morey waits it out, here's what I think the end game is:

Goes to the deadline hoping for a Lillard trade, or Beal. If that doesn't happen, the Kings/Minnesota packages likely won't have improved (maybe Minny gets desperate) so we go to the offseason.

Here is the last chance at Lillard. If nothing happens then the desperation packages become options. Doubt the FVV packages make it, but who knows.

These situations usually don't boil over for a full year, but Morey really hasn't been in this situation before and I think he knows Ben is the only big piece he can use to change the franchise. I bet he pushes it.

There has never been a player to my knowledge who has sat out the entire season until the deadline. This would real havoc on the sixers. Ocums razor probably does it. Traded before the start of camp.

That's true. I just think the Lillard, Ben, Embiid factors kind of put this in play. Lillard and Embiid are just bigger factors than Ben, and that would be my driving motivation over a forced Ben move or displeasing an agent. A pivotal moment for the franchise that is bigger than Ben.

Prediction no Simmons ever package fetches Lillard. I think Beal likes Washington. Sounds like the Hell freezes over strategy. Fluking into and out of Harden will do that.
JB7
Pro Prospect
And1: 148

Post#1846 » by JB7 » Sun Sep 5, 2021 11:39 pm

Agree 100%

I think GSW is waiting on Dame. Once Simmons is moved, wouldn't be surprised to see Dame then try and pressure a deal to GSW. And if Portland is moving Dame, it is a complete rebuild, and the package GSW could offer is more enticing for a rebuild (Wiseman, Kuminga, Moody, Poole, Wiggins, picks).

I think Beal wants the supermax, and will play it out in Washington until he gets it.
pharring
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#1847 » by pharring » Mon Sep 6, 2021 4:17 pm

This needs to get to 100 pages before it is locked.
mickie
Rookie
And1: 435

Post#1848 » by mickie » Tue Sep 7, 2021 4:22 pm

ash_k wrote:
mickie wrote:
ash_k wrote: :lol: cmon nobody fights in the league these days. Both Gordon and Simmons have 40+ pounds on Kyle. Kyle was just posturing and you know it :lol: . Kudos to Kyle, but there are weight classes in fighting for a reason.
You need a certain mindset/level of physicality to play Australian rules football. They are Warriors.

Ben is not a center, can he defend centers at times? of course.. full-time? he can't. Just like OG. He will get injured (see that weight class stuff). Just like OG got injured defending Sabonis. Ben's injury record is his only con!

Manny Pacquiao i guess didnt get that memo :lol:

PEDs can do miracles you know! :lol:

People have been saying that but could never come up with proof that he did PEDs.
Swag
RealGM

Post#1849 » by Swag » Tue Sep 7, 2021 6:16 pm

libertyYYZ wrote:

Morey will wear the outcome of this debacle or ****. He's lost a ton of value by asking and holding out for a high price. Until BS plays again, there's a stain on his record and stained goods go for a discount.

I agree Morey has really F'cked this whole thing up. Disaster.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 42,177

Post#1850 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Sep 7, 2021 6:45 pm

I think the Raps interest in Simmons is pretty much dead unless they can get him for cheap. Prior to the draft, it would've made more sense, but once they selected Barnes, to go along with OG and Siakam, Simmons skillset becomes rather redundant.
Nebuchadnezzar
Junior
And1: 371

Post#1851 » by Nebuchadnezzar » Tue Sep 7, 2021 6:48 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:I think the Raps interest in Simmons is pretty much dead unless they can get him for cheap. Prior to the draft, it would've made more sense, but once they selected Barnes, to go along with OG and Siakam, Simmons skillset becomes rather redundant.

Would be true if Simmons didn't have the potential to be generational talent. For me, if you decide he has a chance to reach the potential, ya kinda just figure it out.
JB7
Pro Prospect
And1: 148

Post#1852 » by JB7 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 7:20 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:I think the Raps interest in Simmons is pretty much dead unless they can get him for cheap. Prior to the draft, it would've made more sense, but once they selected Barnes, to go along with OG and Siakam, Simmons skillset becomes rather redundant.

Barnes and Siakam seem to be more redundant than Simmons is with either of those two players. Simmons can operate like a legitimate PG in the NBA. Both Barnes and Siakam seem like a better fit at the PF position, where they are not being asked to guard C's all the time. If either have to be used as a small ball C for extended periods of time, it could become a problem for the team.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#1853 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Sep 7, 2021 7:33 pm

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:

Would be true if Simmons didn't have the potential to be generational talent. For me, if you decide he has a chance to reach the potential, ya kinda just figure it out.
To be a generational talent he would have to go from having no jump shot to a good jump shot. I think the chances of that happening after 4-5 seasons in the league already is pretty low, especially considering his shooting is getting worse, not better.

He is what he is at this point. A playmaker who can guard 1-4 at a high level, but with no jump shot at all, it's always going to be easy for a good defense to gameplan against him in the playoffs unless he's surrounded by shooters and he's your 5th option.
Swag
RealGM

Post#1854 » by Swag » Tue Sep 7, 2021 8:03 pm

JB7 wrote:

Barnes and Siakam seem to be more redundant than Simmons is with either of those two players. Simmons can operate like a legitimate PG in the NBA. Both Barnes and Siakam seem like a better fit at the PF position, where they are not being asked to guard C's all the time. If either have to be used as a small ball C for extended periods of time, it could become a problem for the team.

Thats a great point: Barnes and Siakam are redundant whereas Simmons is a world class defender and can actually play the point.
libertyYYZ
Junior
And1: 261

Post#1855 » by libertyYYZ » Wed Sep 8, 2021 10:46 am

Swag wrote:
libertyYYZ wrote:

I agree Morey has really F'cked this whole thing up. Disaster.

This is Morey's second time dancing with Rich Paul over a player wanting out. Player wanting out has no leverage, so threatening to not play is a bit of leverage on the part of the agent. Paul is creating further leverage by insisting on one of three teams. Morey looks like he has been totally played where the player and agent have no leverage other than being pouty. NBA history though says that the player/agent get what they want, so they pout.

Morey on the other hand has a top-3 team in his conference, so has to be geared up to go for another run. Having your PG holding out is unsettling to the team as the team dynamics will change with a trade (some guys might be trade ballast) and the focus is going to be a bit off with other guys running the PG spot (for how long). So, Morey has some incentive for his team composition to be settled.

Masai wouldn't have let it get this far. But, if put in the situation, I see him holding his resolve. What does the team look like (addition by subtraction of malcontent) for 20 games or so? He would then start looking at teams with needs (move up talent, injuries, etc) and start fielding offers. Masai would totally set the framework and work within his own set of decisions while marginalizing the malcontent agent/player. The Nuggets are still living off the Carmelo trade.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
God Squad
General Manager
And1: 4,487

Post#1856 » by God Squad » Wed Sep 8, 2021 11:18 am

So has this ship sailed yet? I'm not keen on helping/giving up assets to the Sixers.
TheBoi10
Head Coach
And1: 8,648

Post#1857 » by TheBoi10 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:13 pm

Wolves Athletic reporter sees Minny and Toronto as the front runners

Read on Twitter
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 18,098

Post#1858 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:22 pm

Dont get the redundant comment on Simmons. He's an all-star and under contract for 4 more years and only 25. You make those deals if you dont have to give up much. Raps are rebuilding/retooling anyways. As masai said, its not win now YET ... so you take that asset and play him and build him up. Can always make deals later.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 6,791

Post#1859 » by ash_k » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:37 pm

TheBoi10 wrote:Wolves Athletic reporter sees Minny and Toronto as the front runners

Read on Twitter

unless 'Sota is ready to trade Edwards or separate best buddies D'Angelo and KAT then I still cannot see what they could offer that could beat FVV + Dragic+Boucher+ couple of picks OR CJ+Covington+picks
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#1860 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:40 pm

Shams mentioned last week that the Raps still have interest in Simmons, just not at Morey's asking price.

My guess is Masai made his best offer and told Morey find better.

Return to Toronto Raptors