ImageImageImageImageImage

Report: Toronto among potential WNBA expansion cities identified

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Re: Report: Toronto among potential WNBA expansion cities identified 

Post#81 » by Yeezus_ » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:41 pm

PrinceAli wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:I honestly think this one of the things Masai wanted when he last spoke at the end of season presser.

What did he say that you think might’ve been referring to this? I don’t remember

Along the lines of growing the sport and thinking bigger in terms of vision.
Yeezy SZN approaching
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,192

Post#82 » by Mark_83 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:07 pm

Paige Bueckers would look great in a Toronto uniform. :D
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,379

Post#83 » by Courtside » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:21 pm

Few ownership groups around NA can compare to MLSE. What might be a losing proposition in most cities, due to market size, corporate base, leases to 3rd party arenas, ability to redeploy or pool resources with other teams under the same group, etc...

MLSE owns the arena, so while the WNBA team will pay rent, it can be made to be favorable (pr at least flexible). Further, with operations in 4 sports leagues already, the ability to put experienced company people on the job is going to be better than many other places... and the market here is hot for basketball right now.

But they may also feel like Toronto is special in some way, which it is. Recall when TFC jpijed MLS, another league that had gone through growing paind and instability... TFC joins the league and within the year, they become the envy of the league in terms of fan support and game experience and league wide supports grows as other fanbases up their games. MLS expansion to Toronto was a really big stepping stone for the league as a whole, and MLS was willing to foot the bill and ride out the first few years until profitability and success followed.

I have little doubt that they will lean heavily on the TFC and 905 experience - both teams winning a championship - and feel they can leverage that along with the Raptors success and make it happen in the WNBA also.

Buy they have to play at either Scotiabank Arena or at Coca Cola Place (former Ricoh at the CNE). Putting the team in Mississauga (or Hamilton or KW as someone suggested) ensutes they are forever viewed as a minor league thing and will not hit the potential peak that they could if being a fully legit "Toronto" team. It needs to be packaged as a first tier, major level product or it isn't worth doing at all.

As for a name... Huskies will likely rise to the top of the list, but other names from the Raptors naming contest could also come back, like the Towers or Beavers (giggity).
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,736

Post#84 » by maternal85 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:19 pm

Skeezo wrote:
maternal85 wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:whos the braveheart investor?

guaranteed loss of money specially in canada where it costs a **** to do everything

We the tax payers will pay for it all. No way MLSE loses money. If you do the research, There are many interests you're forgetting about.

What do "we the tax payers" have anything to do about it? Canadian Government is NOT buying into the WNBA ??? Maybe you mean, "we the consumers" will support it so MLSE (if they were to buy-in) would not lose money. Well, I can only speak as "ME, the consumer," and I won't be supporting a WNBA team if it comes to an Ontario city. I'm not trying to be a prick, I'm just honest about it.

Slacktivism and virtue signalling is at an all time high... It costs people NOTHING to make themselves seem they are a supporter of all things. It's easy to tell somebody else to spend their money to produce a product just because it sounds like the moral and "equitable" thing to do. However, when it's time to pull out the debit card to go to game, buy merchandize, HELL even watch the game on TV to give their attention to the paying advertisers, only a FRACTION of people will actually do so.

Don't kid yourself, we the tax payer pays for everything. Whether the government tells us directly, or indirectly. We even paid for the PM costly vacation. My point is, MLSE is not in the business to lose money. You also have many interests groups looking to invest into woman's sports. The health minister, name brands, etc. MLSE will partner with other entities to make sure they're profitable or at least break even. Again don't kid yourself, the tax payer usually always ends up paying for other. Literally billion dollar stadiums are built on the backs of tax payers.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#85 » by johanliebert » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:58 pm

Wo1verine wrote:How popular is the WNBA? I don't watch ever

Nobody watches it state side either. Whomever is thinking about bring a team here has money to waste.

It is not an entertaining product. It’s a propaganda tool targeted at women at this point. This threads full of the usuals who love everything wnba but don’t support it.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,324

Post#86 » by D.Brasco » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:34 pm

johanliebert wrote:Nobody watches it state side either. Whomever is thinking about bring a team here has money to waste.

It is not an entertaining product. It’s a propaganda tool targeted at women at this point. This threads full of the usuals who love everything wnba but don’t support it.

It's called Corporate Social Responsibility, corporations spend millions not to actually make any profits but to showcase how socially responsible and charitable they are and how they are actually benefiting society.

It's all the rage now, if you work for a relatively large company you probably experience it day to day now.

The WNBA is right up that alley and I can definitely see why the MLSE would be taking an interest.
Federalies
Rookie
And1: 1,424

Post#87 » by Federalies » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:47 pm

WNBA expansion to Toronto feels overdue. Is it finally on the way?

DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,561

Post#88 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:22 pm

D.Brasco wrote:
johanliebert wrote:Nobody watches it state side either. Whomever is thinking about bring a team here has money to waste.

It's called Corporate Social Responsibility, corporations spend millions not to actually make any profits but to showcase how socially responsible and charitable they are and how they are actually benefiting society.

It's all the rage now, if you work for a relatively large company you probably experience it day to day now.

The WNBA is right up that alley and I can definitely see why the MLSE would be taking an interest.

Basketball is growing all over the world, especially woman basketball

Basketball in Canada is growing, especially woman basketball

It makes total sense to grow the game in Canada with a woman basketball team. The WNBA is still fairly new, I know the NBA in it's first 20yrs weren't thriving as it is now. And you're right, not everything is intended or need to be able to make a profit. I'd definitely watch / go to games if we had a local team.

In Raptor Ball I Trust

Return to Toronto Raptors