ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2

Moderators: Alfred, 7 Footer, Reeko, lebron stopper, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, gojoorange

User avatar
right between the eyes
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,772
And1: 5,653
Joined: Jul 19, 2004
   

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1021 » by right between the eyes » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:49 pm

PrinceAli wrote:Raptors first tiktok
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRFmDNG1/


Thanks for sharing..was this from today or when he was in Toronto before?
StopitLeo
RealGM
Posts: 10,444
And1: 5,410
Joined: Dec 13, 2001
 

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1022 » by StopitLeo » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:56 pm

HiJiNX wrote:Yeah, I don’t know where this “Barnes isn’t athletic” rhetoric is coming from. Well maybe I do. Lanky guys tend to look slow even when they’re moving fast. And you can say that Barnes isn’t the most explosive guy but he’s not a mediocre athlete by any means—he just doesn’t have freaky explosiveness. One thing that I think people are really overlooking about Barnes athleticism is how quickly he reaches top speed in the open court. There is very little latency between flat footed to full speed for him. He also has a very good second jump. Essentially Barnes is a very good athlete who will only get more explosive under NBA level training. But when you look at Barnes in the open floor it’s like he was shot out of a cannon with the way he accelerates.


Your point about acceleration is a good one. Here is a great example: https://youtu.be/rluYbghaFxM?t=41

He's standing at the 3 pt line and once he sees the ball come off the rim he plants his left foot at the FT line extended and explodes to grab the rebound followed by a second jump to quickly dunk it. You can't do that if you aren't athletic.

To be honest, I'm not sure I've seen him try to break a guy down on the dribble, which is where I think people see his lack of freaky explosiveness (as you put it). He has a good handle but he doesn't seem to have advanced one-on-one moves. That's probably why in the half-court he is probing in a more controlled way and using his height to look for passing lanes. He also doesn't need crazy explosiveness because he uses his physical dominance to his advantage by either backing guys down or getting them on his hip and using his length to get past them.
Dalek
General Manager
Posts: 7,572
And1: 5,574
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Location: back to the basket
 

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1023 » by Dalek » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:57 pm

And1Skip wrote:
Dalek wrote:
anj wrote:
How dare you!



Okay, I will revise the statement. That has to be a first for Toronto since the era of fitted clothing.


LOL.....though DeMar, Kyle, Pascal all have shoe deals but they don't get their own signature shoe. When DeMar was here, he exclusively wore the Kobe line (probably his own preference as well).


I think you are definitely correct about Derozan. I do recall that he had a Kobe 1 Protro “DeMar DeRozan”. Not a signature, but a player edition in his last year with Toronto.

Kyle had something with Adidas, and did a Adidas Pro Bounce Low 2018 Kyle Lowry PE. He wears Harden's now.

Not sure if Pascal ever had a PE with Nike.

I guess what is interesting is that Barnes hasn't even played a game yet and he is getting an endorsement. It took our other players years to get that type of attention and contract.

/edit it is interesting to see how this draft class gets picked up by which show companies:

Barnes becomes the fourth member of the 2021 NBA Draft class to have signed an endorsement deal with Nike, joining No. 1 pick Cade Cunningham, No. 7 pick Jonathan Kuminga and No. 13 pick Chris Duarte.

No. 2 pick Jalen Green, No. 3 pick Evan Mobley and No. 5 pick Jalen Suggs, meanwhile, have reportedly signed with Adidas.


https://ca.nba.com/news/report-toronto-raptors-rookie-scottie-barnes-signs-endorsement-deal-with-nike/ax2jynz8w61w1vkb1hr2a77oh
User avatar
WuTang_OG
RealGM
Posts: 11,403
And1: 18,098
Joined: Sep 26, 2017
 

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1024 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:26 pm

sMART ON Nike to add Barnes

Addidas took a good chunk
User avatar
WuTang_OG
RealGM
Posts: 11,403
And1: 18,098
Joined: Sep 26, 2017
 

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1025 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:46 pm

And1Skip
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,583
And1: 6,777
Joined: Jun 08, 2003
       

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1026 » by And1Skip » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:09 pm

Dalek wrote:
Barnes becomes the fourth member of the 2021 NBA Draft class to have signed an endorsement deal with Nike, joining No. 1 pick Cade Cunningham, No. 7 pick Jonathan Kuminga and No. 13 pick Chris Duarte.

No. 2 pick Jalen Green, No. 3 pick Evan Mobley and No. 5 pick Jalen Suggs, meanwhile, have reportedly signed with Adidas.


https://ca.nba.com/news/report-toronto-raptors-rookie-scottie-barnes-signs-endorsement-deal-with-nike/ax2jynz8w61w1vkb1hr2a77oh


Suggs with Adidas and Barnes with Nike? OK, I'm glad we drafted Barnes then :D
User avatar
Young_Buc
General Manager
Posts: 9,416
And1: 8,833
Joined: Aug 26, 2003
Location: Puff Daddy's House
   

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1027 » by Young_Buc » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:29 pm

Dalek wrote:I am in a bit of shock, but it looks like Scottie Barnes has a Nike deal. That has to first for Toronto to have a top player signing a deal with a top three show company.

Read on Twitter



Nearly every lottery player has a shoe deal. Most don't have a signature shoe. I'd imagine 50% of the Raptor roster have shoe deals of some kind.
Image
User avatar
720
RealGM
Posts: 23,818
And1: 52,014
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Malton

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1028 » by 720 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:37 pm

Young_Buc wrote:
Dalek wrote:I am in a bit of shock, but it looks like Scottie Barnes has a Nike deal. That has to first for Toronto to have a top player signing a deal with a top three show company.

Read on Twitter



Nearly every lottery player has a shoe deal. Most don't have a signature shoe. I'd imagine 50% of the Raptor roster have shoe deals of some kind.

Yup, for example Siakam seems to wear only KD signature shoes. He for sure has a Nike deal.
Image
We were right all along. #tWo
Run Barnes at point!
Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan, Curry, Lebron, Isiah, Dirk, Wade and Kobe. All drafted IN THE LOTTERY. That's a combined 29 championships.
User avatar
Spicy P
RealGM
Posts: 18,024
And1: 5,113
Joined: Jul 01, 2007
     

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1029 » by Spicy P » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:47 pm

Young_Buc wrote:
Dalek wrote:I am in a bit of shock, but it looks like Scottie Barnes has a Nike deal. That has to first for Toronto to have a top player signing a deal with a top three show company.

Read on Twitter



Nearly every lottery player has a shoe deal. Most don't have a signature shoe. I'd imagine 50% of the Raptor roster have shoe deals of some kind.


Even Matt Bonner had a shoe deal
Madhouse
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,254
And1: 3,181
Joined: Dec 23, 2014

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1030 » by Madhouse » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:59 pm

That Orlando game at the end of October will be very interesting, lol
navyblue
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,975
And1: 5,194
Joined: Nov 04, 2013
 

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1031 » by navyblue » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:02 pm

And1Skip wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Barnes becomes the fourth member of the 2021 NBA Draft class to have signed an endorsement deal with Nike, joining No. 1 pick Cade Cunningham, No. 7 pick Jonathan Kuminga and No. 13 pick Chris Duarte.

No. 2 pick Jalen Green, No. 3 pick Evan Mobley and No. 5 pick Jalen Suggs, meanwhile, have reportedly signed with Adidas.


https://ca.nba.com/news/report-toronto-raptors-rookie-scottie-barnes-signs-endorsement-deal-with-nike/ax2jynz8w61w1vkb1hr2a77oh


Suggs with Adidas and Barnes with Nike? OK, I'm glad we drafted Barnes then :D


cade/barnes nike
jalen green/mobley/suggs addidas
User avatar
Vampirate
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,988
And1: 1,781
Joined: Dec 04, 2016
     

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1032 » by Vampirate » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:46 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1380561-why-dallas-mavericks-rookie-jae-crowder-is-this-years-kawhi-leonard

I randomly found this article.

:lol:

Barnes probably doesn't have Kawhi's upside but the article here proclaiming crowder to be the next Kawhi is laughable.

Crowder never have the mobility, heights and especially wingspan that kawhi had. I've seen Crowder's rookie season highlights and Crowder could barely dunk as most were layups.

In order to be a superstar in the way Kawhi is you'd need to be able to easily dunk at will.
Image
User avatar
PhilBlackson
RealGM
Posts: 21,293
And1: 34,140
Joined: May 02, 2017
Location: No Wastemans Land
     

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1033 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:55 pm

And1Skip wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Barnes becomes the fourth member of the 2021 NBA Draft class to have signed an endorsement deal with Nike, joining No. 1 pick Cade Cunningham, No. 7 pick Jonathan Kuminga and No. 13 pick Chris Duarte.

No. 2 pick Jalen Green, No. 3 pick Evan Mobley and No. 5 pick Jalen Suggs, meanwhile, have reportedly signed with Adidas.


https://ca.nba.com/news/report-toronto-raptors-rookie-scottie-barnes-signs-endorsement-deal-with-nike/ax2jynz8w61w1vkb1hr2a77oh


Suggs with Adidas and Barnes with Nike? OK, I'm glad we drafted Barnes then :D


"Checks over stripes, that's what we like"
>>>SCOTTIE2HOTTIE<<< Ya Boi Scottie & Gua Gang -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar:
Image Jalen BabyGOAT Green
Dalek
General Manager
Posts: 7,572
And1: 5,574
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Location: back to the basket
 

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1034 » by Dalek » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:59 pm

Vampirate wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1380561-why-dallas-mavericks-rookie-jae-crowder-is-this-years-kawhi-leonard

I randomly found this article.

:lol:

Barnes probably doesn't have Kawhi's upside but the article here proclaiming crowder to be the next Kawhi is laughable.

Crowder never have the mobility, heights and especially wingspan that kawhi had. I've seen Crowder's rookie season highlights and Crowder could barely dunk as most were layups.

In order to be a superstar in the way Kawhi is you'd need to be able to easily dunk at will.


I don't know about dunking at will as being a determining factor for a superstar. I think it helps in a handful of situations. The most effective usage I have seen from Kawhi and other superstar forwards is the ability to get to your spots from mid-range. Kawhi can almost always get a clean look off. Barnes had a neat little turnaround jumper, but he doesn't have a bag of tricks.

Barnes has everything to work on, and I wouldn't expect that type of skill in year one or two. But, I will say that every level Barnes has figured out how to do well. Not sure if anyone envisioned Kawhi as a go to scorer when he came into the league, those big hands were their for defense and rebounding. But, like Kawhi, Barnes could make a leap given time and good coaching.
User avatar
Vampirate
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,988
And1: 1,781
Joined: Dec 04, 2016
     

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1035 » by Vampirate » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:20 pm

Dalek wrote:
Vampirate wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1380561-why-dallas-mavericks-rookie-jae-crowder-is-this-years-kawhi-leonard

I randomly found this article.

:lol:

Barnes probably doesn't have Kawhi's upside but the article here proclaiming crowder to be the next Kawhi is laughable.

Crowder never have the mobility, heights and especially wingspan that kawhi had. I've seen Crowder's rookie season highlights and Crowder could barely dunk as most were layups.

In order to be a superstar in the way Kawhi is you'd need to be able to easily dunk at will.


I don't know about dunking at will as being a determining factor for a superstar. I think it helps in a handful of situations. The most effective usage I have seen from Kawhi and other superstar forwards is the ability to get to your spots from mid-range. Kawhi can almost always get a clean look off. Barnes had a neat little turnaround jumper, but he doesn't have a bag of tricks.

Barnes has everything to work on, and I wouldn't expect that type of skill in year one or two. But, I will say that every level Barnes has figured out how to do well. Not sure if anyone envisioned Kawhi as a go to scorer when he came into the league, those big hands were their for defense and rebounding. But, like Kawhi, Barnes could make a leap given time and good coaching.


Well first of all, if you are in the paint, everyone would take a dunk attempt over a layup attempt.

Thing is though Kawhi for his size was a fluid athlete, and the bigger, longer and stronger you are, the less bag of tricks you need to get to your spots to get what you want.

Crowder was pretty stiff with his movements, even as a rookie, and didn't have the same physical toolset kawhi had.

For example, we've seen Siakam and OG dunk no problem.

I think Barnes has the fluidity and lengths to create space with the basketball, the question is will his handles and especially shooting come.

Tatum and especially Luka aren't world class athletes, but both are fluid athletes and can handle the ball plenty, and because they are both 6'8" can easily create space and are both obviously competent shooters.
Image
lorax
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,761
And1: 176
Joined: Aug 10, 2004
Location: Behind the Hill

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1036 » by lorax » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:42 pm

Spicy P wrote:Even Matt Bonner had a shoe deal

Skechers?

Off topic: Tiny house for Matt
JYD wrote:Could someone summarize the nothingness please?
User avatar
Raps in 4
RealGM
Posts: 51,844
And1: 40,680
Joined: Nov 01, 2008
Location: Toronto
 

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1037 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:38 pm

djsunyc wrote:the issue with fans is that cade, green, mobley and suggs can hit shots. barnes cant right now so bc fans put such a high premium on scoring, it plays a major part in their projections.


Mobley can't hit shots either. Like Barnes, he will need 2-3 years to develop as well. And Suggs isn't an efficient scorer yet either.
User avatar
Clay Davis
Analyst
Posts: 3,707
And1: 4,147
Joined: Nov 06, 2013
 

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1038 » by Clay Davis » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:01 am

lorax wrote:
Spicy P wrote:Even Matt Bonner had a shoe deal

Skechers?

Off topic: Tiny house for Matt

I'm glad he's living somewhere where he could afford that with less than half his paycheque
We talkin' 'bout money laundering? In WEST BALTIMORE?!
hype_2004
RealGM
Posts: 10,072
And1: 2,993
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: T.O

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1039 » by hype_2004 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:03 am

Dalek wrote:
Vampirate wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1380561-why-dallas-mavericks-rookie-jae-crowder-is-this-years-kawhi-leonard

I randomly found this article.

:lol:

Barnes probably doesn't have Kawhi's upside but the article here proclaiming crowder to be the next Kawhi is laughable.

Crowder never have the mobility, heights and especially wingspan that kawhi had. I've seen Crowder's rookie season highlights and Crowder could barely dunk as most were layups.

In order to be a superstar in the way Kawhi is you'd need to be able to easily dunk at will.


I don't know about dunking at will as being a determining factor for a superstar. I think it helps in a handful of situations. The most effective usage I have seen from Kawhi and other superstar forwards is the ability to get to your spots from mid-range. Kawhi can almost always get a clean look off. Barnes had a neat little turnaround jumper, but he doesn't have a bag of tricks.

Barnes has everything to work on, and I wouldn't expect that type of skill in year one or two. But, I will say that every level Barnes has figured out how to do well. Not sure if anyone envisioned Kawhi as a go to scorer when he came into the league, those big hands were their for defense and rebounding. But, like Kawhi, Barnes could make a leap given time and good coaching.


Let's see what Barnes is going for him
Athletic with 2.99 shuttle/10.88 lane agility/3.15 sprint and 39.5 max vertical
Freaky length = 7'3 wingspan/9'0 standing reach/10.5 inch hands
Strong body = Ripped 227 lbs

The skills will develop but this kid is freak of nature for his size, the measurements and athletic measureables are in the elite category
earth007
Sophomore
Posts: 133
And1: 145
Joined: Dec 22, 2012

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1040 » by earth007 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:34 am

This is an insightful video about his shooting form. If this guy is right, he has got a bit of work to do to fix his shot.

Return to Toronto Raptors