ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2

Moderators: Alfred, 7 Footer, Reeko, lebron stopper, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, gojoorange

User avatar
Vorticity
Head Coach
Posts: 6,423
And1: 4,660
Joined: Oct 27, 2005
Location: scientific dawg
   

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1101 » by Vorticity » Wed Sep 8, 2021 4:58 pm

Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

Image
sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
User avatar
WuTang_OG
RealGM
Posts: 11,403
And1: 18,098
Joined: Sep 26, 2017
 

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1102 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:06 pm

Nurse to the 11 guys he met with in vegas for committment

"if you guys dont want to commit, will just play the under 19 guys" lollllll
User avatar
whitehops
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,306
And1: 4,035
Joined: Dec 12, 2012
     

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1103 » by whitehops » Thu Sep 9, 2021 2:28 am

720 wrote:I think one major key to Barnes' future success is the ability to absorb contact and finish. I think atm he is inconsistent with it which is why in a lot of plays it looks like he has no shot at finishing once he is fouled/hit with contact.


there's a lot that goes into it (dribbling, touch, etc.) but so many young prospects don't have the core strength/balance to handle contact. i'm sure he'll work on that and then should be a good finisher in a couple years with his insane reach.
User avatar
PhilBlackson
RealGM
Posts: 21,293
And1: 34,140
Joined: May 02, 2017
Location: No Wastemans Land
     

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1104 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Sep 9, 2021 4:59 am



What I was slightly surprised by is towards the end he was asked if Scottie will get much time or what his role will be like, Nick said pretty strongly that Barnes will get a ton of time...I love hearing that if true.

Not to say I was worried about being in the G League because obviously with all the success we had with developing guys there, it tends to workout well. But I'm just happy it sounds like Nurse has some confidence in Scottie and while he's not gonna be featured as heavily as the rest of the top 5... we're not gonna treat him like he is just some project player but what he is, a top 5 pick who's in a battle to get into the starting line up with a former all-star. It's also nice to see how he'll blend with different rotations. Pascal being out lends it to where get a glimpse into the future of him, OG & lesser extent GT Jr together.

Just overall glad sounds like we're not going to have to wait towards the mid-to-end of season like we have with some other rooks we've had and more from the jump like OG. Definitely looking forward to that.
>>>SCOTTIE2HOTTIE<<< Ya Boi Scottie & Gua Gang -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar:
Image Jalen BabyGOAT Green
vulture
Veteran
Posts: 2,661
And1: 736
Joined: Oct 04, 2002
Location: At the Border

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1105 » by vulture » Thu Sep 9, 2021 2:18 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:


What I was slightly surprised by is towards the end he was asked if Scottie will get much time or what his role will be like, Nick said pretty strongly that Barnes will get a ton of time...I love hearing that if true.

Not to say I was worried about being in the G League because obviously with all the success we had with developing guys there, it tends to workout well. But I'm just happy it sounds like Nurse has some confidence in Scottie and while he's not gonna be featured as heavily as the rest of the top 5... we're not gonna treat him like he is just some project player but what he is, a top 5 pick who's in a battle to get into the starting line up with a former all-star. It's also nice to see how he'll blend with different rotations. Pascal being out lends it to where get a glimpse into the future of him, OG & lesser extent GT Jr together.

Just overall glad sounds like we're not going to have to wait towards the mid-to-end of season like we have with some other rooks we've had and more from the jump like OG. Definitely looking forward to that.


I really think he will have the OG role from 2017 as a 5th option with the starters to start the year and playing a bench role once siakam is healthy.
His defense and playmaking is like a connective tissue for the starters and that's valuable for talented players.
User avatar
OakleyDokely
RealGM
Posts: 20,353
And1: 42,182
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: 416
 

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1106 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Sep 9, 2021 4:29 pm

In their rookie years, Siakam at 22 years old put up 4/3 in 15 mins and OG at 20 years old put up 6/2 in 20 mins.

I think we need to temper expectations a bit. Barnes came out earlier than OG and Siakam and while he was the higher draft pick, there's still going to be a lot of growing pains that come with developing a big, especially on the offensive side of ball.
User avatar
WuTang_OG
RealGM
Posts: 11,403
And1: 18,098
Joined: Sep 26, 2017
 

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1107 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:27 pm

As long as Barnes plays within the team structure and shows some flashes, that's enough for his rookie year.
gbball
Senior
Posts: 535
And1: 656
Joined: Oct 23, 2009

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1108 » by gbball » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:13 pm

Not sure if this was posted, but I just saw it for the first time even though I've watched a ton of Youtube videos. But this is from his sophomore year in high school.

;ab_channel=HoopDiamonds
User avatar
PrinceAli
General Manager
Posts: 8,270
And1: 13,847
Joined: Mar 11, 2018
         

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1109 » by PrinceAli » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:50 am

Scotties throwing the first pitch at the Bluejays game on Friday
Image
User avatar
livnthedream416
Junior
Posts: 381
And1: 1,101
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
     

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1110 » by livnthedream416 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:55 am

Scottie was just on IG live strolling the streets of Toronto with Dekker, Dragic and Gillespie.
Jatt
vulture
Veteran
Posts: 2,661
And1: 736
Joined: Oct 04, 2002
Location: At the Border

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1111 » by vulture » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:09 am

livnthedream416 wrote:Scottie was just on IG live strolling the streets of Toronto with Dekker, Dragic and Gillespie.


His ability to galvanize people is truly impressive. He’s gotta be the ultimate teammate!
User avatar
PrinceAli
General Manager
Posts: 8,270
And1: 13,847
Joined: Mar 11, 2018
         

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1112 » by PrinceAli » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:09 am

livnthedream416 wrote:Scottie was just on IG live strolling the streets of Toronto with Dekker, Dragic and Gillespie.

Wainwright too
Image
C_Money
RealGM
Posts: 21,010
And1: 19,852
Joined: Jun 30, 2008
   

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1113 » by C_Money » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:11 am

Damn, looks like I missed it :(
Image
Federalies
Pro Prospect
Posts: 790
And1: 912
Joined: Jun 14, 2017
         

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1114 » by Federalies » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:20 am

Here you go Boyz!

anotherhomer
Starter
Posts: 2,397
And1: 1,297
Joined: Jun 23, 2008

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1115 » by anotherhomer » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:51 pm

OG got playing time because he fit in with the starting line-up

in the same way, i think as mentioned, his defense, and play-making will help him fit in.

i can see Nurse trusting Barnes ahead of Boucher later in the season, given Nurse preference for players who "play" the right way

vulture wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:


What I was slightly surprised by is towards the end he was asked if Scottie will get much time or what his role will be like, Nick said pretty strongly that Barnes will get a ton of time...I love hearing that if true.

Not to say I was worried about being in the G League because obviously with all the success we had with developing guys there, it tends to workout well. But I'm just happy it sounds like Nurse has some confidence in Scottie and while he's not gonna be featured as heavily as the rest of the top 5... we're not gonna treat him like he is just some project player but what he is, a top 5 pick who's in a battle to get into the starting line up with a former all-star. It's also nice to see how he'll blend with different rotations. Pascal being out lends it to where get a glimpse into the future of him, OG & lesser extent GT Jr together.

Just overall glad sounds like we're not going to have to wait towards the mid-to-end of season like we have with some other rooks we've had and more from the jump like OG. Definitely looking forward to that.


I really think he will have the OG role from 2017 as a 5th option with the starters to start the year and playing a bench role once siakam is healthy.
His defense and playmaking is like a connective tissue for the starters and that's valuable for talented players.
Jerry Lucas
Junior
Posts: 356
And1: 253
Joined: Apr 01, 2021
     

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1116 » by Jerry Lucas » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:59 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:In their rookie years, Siakam at 22 years old put up 4/3 in 15 mins and OG at 20 years old put up 6/2 in 20 mins.

I think we need to temper expectations a bit. Barnes came out earlier than OG and Siakam and while he was the higher draft pick, there's still going to be a lot of growing pains that come with developing a big, especially on the offensive side of ball.

OG was the 23rd overall pick and Pascal was 27th overall. I think it's fair for the expectations of our 4th overall pick to be higher than that.
Tre Mann should have been a Top 5 Pick in the 2021 Draft

Team Find The Next Superstar Closer
HumbleRen
Senior
Posts: 510
And1: 501
Joined: Jul 02, 2021
 

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1117 » by HumbleRen » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:19 pm

Jerry Lucas wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:In their rookie years, Siakam at 22 years old put up 4/3 in 15 mins and OG at 20 years old put up 6/2 in 20 mins.

I think we need to temper expectations a bit. Barnes came out earlier than OG and Siakam and while he was the higher draft pick, there's still going to be a lot of growing pains that come with developing a big, especially on the offensive side of ball.

OG was the 23rd overall pick and Pascal was 27th overall. I think it's fair for the expectations of our 4th overall pick to be higher than that.


9/4/2 reasonable ?
User avatar
OakleyDokely
RealGM
Posts: 20,353
And1: 42,182
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: 416
 

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1118 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:31 pm

Jerry Lucas wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:In their rookie years, Siakam at 22 years old put up 4/3 in 15 mins and OG at 20 years old put up 6/2 in 20 mins.

I think we need to temper expectations a bit. Barnes came out earlier than OG and Siakam and while he was the higher draft pick, there's still going to be a lot of growing pains that come with developing a big, especially on the offensive side of ball.

OG was the 23rd overall pick and Pascal was 27th overall. I think it's fair for the expectations of our 4th overall pick to be higher than that.


You can have higher expectations in terms of impact because Barnes already seems to be NBA ready from a size/defensive/playmaking standpoint but he's going to have a lot of the same offensive limitations as those two other guys.
BBallInSight
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,599
And1: 1,258
Joined: Jul 28, 2008

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1119 » by BBallInSight » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:36 am

I think Barnes is a slightly more offensive JYD. Have a nice day.
User avatar
everdiso
Head Coach
Posts: 6,456
And1: 8,179
Joined: Nov 18, 2008

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1120 » by everdiso » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:48 am

OakleyDokely wrote:In their rookie years, Siakam at 22 years old put up 4/3 in 15 mins and OG at 20 years old put up 6/2 in 20 mins.

I think we need to temper expectations a bit. Barnes came out earlier than OG and Siakam and while he was the higher draft pick, there's still going to be a lot of growing pains that come with developing a big, especially on the offensive side of ball.


I don't really understand why anyone would set Barnes' expectations using late 1st round picks - especially since those late 1st round picks were joining teams with much higher expectations and more established veterans.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."

Return to Toronto Raptors