ImageImageImageImageImage

Updated salary situation for 2021-2022.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,445

Re: Updated salary situation for 2021-2022. 

Post#61 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:34 pm

gp2015 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Indeed wrote:
What about Powell contract? They all start at the same year:
Powell gets: 15.5m, 16.8m, 18m, 19.2m, 20.5m
Trent gets: 16m, 17.3m, 18.6m
OG gets: 16.1m, 17.4m, 18.6m, 20m

I don't see Trent being as good as Powell / OG, but making basically the same.

Trent will be better than Powell. OG is better than powell today based on his elite defense and likely the bump to 17-18/ game this year on better percentages.

What makes you think that? Powell developed into one of our most consistent/efficient shooters during his last couple of seasons here and Trent has been the complete opposite of that so far. Of course, Powell struggled with the same thing when he was younger, like Trent is now but there is nothing to suggest that Trent will be improved in those areas yet. OG has an advantage in that he is an elite defender, which Trent is neither.

Seems people dont understand age. Norm turned into a nice player but it took him a while to get there. Trent at 22 is already way above Norm's production at 22 .. it doesnt even come close. He will be a better player than Norm - dont think that's even a question at this point. Both OG and Trent have great value deals.. moreso OG. The only issue is Trent's term ... but Masai's proven to retain guys as long as they continue to prove their worth.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,480

Post#62 » by Spida888 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:40 pm

It likely helped Trent that he has the same agent as OG. Rich Paul may be like like, you got a sweet deal with OG, now you have to pay up my other client though.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,390

Post#63 » by Mikistan » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:49 pm

Indeed wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Trent will be better than Powell. OG is better than powell today based on his elite defense and likely the bump to 17-18/ game this year on better percentages.

What makes you think that? Powell developed into one of our most consistent/efficient shooters during his last couple of seasons here and Trent has been the complete opposite of that so far. Of course, Powell struggled with the same thing when he was younger, like Trent is now but there is nothing to suggest that Trent will be improved in those areas yet. OG has an advantage in that he is an elite defender, which Trent is neither.

Indeed, I don't see how Trent is better than Powell.
Shooting wise, they are similar as a movement shooter, and passing wise, they are both below average passer with lack of vision, which I don't see neither will improve on that.

Even Trent improves his defense from below average to average, which is no where better than Powell, as Powell is an average defender and above average man defender. Trent doesn't have the quickness to be a plus defender, neither big enough to fully guard SF. I don't see how Trent is better than Powell.

I see Trent like Ross, who can net us Ibaka, while some playoff teams may want to get more immediate shooting with Trent and or Boucher.

Powell was a poor defender his last year here and when he was finally most consistent we were a bad team hmm
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#64 » by Indeed » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:45 pm

Mikistan wrote:
Indeed wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

Indeed, I don't see how Trent is better than Powell.
Shooting wise, they are similar as a movement shooter, and passing wise, they are both below average passer with lack of vision, which I don't see neither will improve on that.

Even Trent improves his defense from below average to average, which is no where better than Powell, as Powell is an average defender and above average man defender. Trent doesn't have the quickness to be a plus defender, neither big enough to fully guard SF. I don't see how Trent is better than Powell.

I see Trent like Ross, who can net us Ibaka, while some playoff teams may want to get more immediate shooting with Trent and or Boucher.

Powell was a poor defender his last year here and when he was finally most consistent we were a bad team hmm

I never said the defense of Powell is great. He is pretty much average with above average man defense. Meanwhile Trent doesn't have the foot speed to stay in front of his man, which is a much bigger problem than Powell.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#65 » by Indeed » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:50 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

Seems people dont understand age. Norm turned into a nice player but it took him a while to get there. Trent at 22 is already way above Norm's production at 22 .. it doesnt even come close. He will be a better player than Norm - dont think that's even a question at this point. Both OG and Trent have great value deals.. moreso OG. The only issue is Trent's term ... but Masai's proven to retain guys as long as they continue to prove their worth.

Seems people dont understand there are things you can't improve.
First step isn't something you can improve.
Lateral quickness isn't something you can improve.

Again, I give you that he can improve his defense to Powell level (he is a poor defender right now), but in what exactly you think he can improve? A better shooter with 60% 3 point shooting in average?
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#66 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:21 pm

Indeed wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

Again, I give you that he can improve his defense to Powell level (he is a poor defender right now), but in what exactly you think he can improve? A better shooter with 60% 3 point shooting in average?

Seems you're pretty lost when speaking on this.

Firstly, let's not disregard my statement that Trent is a much better player at 22 then Powell was at the same age. That's fact. 5.6pts, and less than 1 three a game (40% and 32% his first two seasons). Compared to Trent's 15 points, 3 threes a game on 38%.
Secondly, Trent has major upside still at 22 - he is by no means a finished product. Running pick and rolls, creativity off the dribble, midrange game, and play making for team-mates all doable and something that he likely improves on in the coming years. Very similar to what OG needs to improve on offensively. And you are also incorrect in your statement saying Trent is a poor defender, when that isnt the case. He's not poor by any means - he's average to above currently.

Trent has a great deal right now compared to what the market is dictating and he likely out play it. His production will surpass what Norm brings shortly here.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,140

Post#67 » by gp2015 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:09 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

It can go either way with age. They can get better or they can get stagnant or defences can adjust to them and they're not good enough to adapt or take it to another level. Some players get lazy once they get their first big contract or they don't have motivation to improve. There are many factors involved. There's no guarantee that he will get better just because he's relatively young still.

Just as I thought, you're just talking out of your ass saying that it's pretty much guaranteed that Trent will be a better player than Norm.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#68 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:00 am

gp2015 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

It can go either way with age. They can get better or they can get stagnant or defences can adjust to them and they're not good enough to adapt or take it to another level. Some players get lazy once they get their first big contract or they don't have motivation to improve. There are many factors involved. There's no guarantee that he will get better just because he's relatively young still.

Just as I thought, you're just talking out of your ass saying that it's pretty much guaranteed that Trent will be a better player than Norm.

His trajectory is much higher than Norm's at the same age, so you're argument doesn't really make sense, especially when Trent is not even that far off talent wise and Norn's been in the league for 6 years.

Um no, it's just pretty clear the trajectory he's taking especially since he's way ahead of Norm at the same age which I've alluded to multiple times and you both still havent given any responses. FYI, check Masai's comments once he made the Trent deal "we love his upside". So it's not just me with that view, it's an all time talent evaluator. Go back to bed.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#69 » by Indeed » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:01 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
Indeed wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

Firstly, let's not disregard my statement that Trent is a much better player at 22 then Powell was at the same age. That's fact. 5.6pts, and less than 1 three a game (40% and 32% his first two seasons). Compared to Trent's 15 points, 3 threes a game on 38%.
Secondly, Trent has major upside still at 22 - he is by no means a finished product. Running pick and rolls, creativity off the dribble, midrange game, and play making for team-mates all doable and something that he likely improves on in the coming years. Very similar to what OG needs to improve on offensively. And you are also incorrect in your statement saying Trent is a poor defender, when that isnt the case. He's not poor by any means - he's average to above currently.

Trent has a great deal right now compared to what the market is dictating and he likely out play it. His production will surpass what Norm brings shortly here.

He is a poor defender, he could be a disruptive defender, but his defensive box plus/minus has been negative. His lack of lateral quickness where better offensive players shake him off on the perimeter was an evidence last year when we do not have a shot blocker at the paint.

I don't see Trent can further improve. It was wishful thinking that Stanley Johnson was 23 when we signed him, and he was who he is.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#70 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:17 am

Indeed wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Indeed wrote:

He is a poor defender, he could be a disruptive defender, but his defensive box plus/minus has been negative. His lack of lateral quickness where better offensive players shake him off on the perimeter was an evidence last year when we do not have a shot blocker at the paint.

I don't see Trent can further improve. It was wishful thinking that Stanley Johnson was 23 when we signed him, and he was who he is.

I disagree, he's not a poor defender by any means. Moreso average, and it will be fun to see him next to OG this season. If you are comparing him to Stanley Johnson, you really should stop commenting on this topic. They are in 2 different worlds in terms of players and in no way have any direct correlation in terms of player development . Trent has lots of room to grow as I've already listed the areas in which he likely will and will surpass Norman Powell's production. It's just a matter of when, and I'm willing to bet it will be this season, since their stats/impact are already close. Just remember, Norm has 3 seasons on him and was not a lock down defender by any means.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#71 » by Indeed » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:04 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
Indeed wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

I disagree, he's not a poor defender by any means. Moreso average, and it will be fun to see him next to OG this season. If you are comparing him to Stanley Johnson, you really should stop commenting on this topic. They are in 2 different worlds in terms of players and in no way have any direct correlation in terms of player development . Trent has lots of room to grow as I've already listed the areas in which he likely will and will surpass Norman Powell's production. It's just a matter of when, and I'm willing to bet it will be this season, since their stats/impact are already close. Just remember, Norm has 3 seasons on him and was not a lock down defender by any means.

1) I have my right to speak for my opinion, I don't see why I should stop commenting when Trent has his flaw, and I don't see him grow anymore.
2) Development is not linear, not because someone younger and they can be much better, and the opposite happens that some players grow at later stage. It has more to do with what type of skills they can learn, for example you claim they can improve their passing, but not many improved in that aspect. PnR? He couldn't turn the corner against some matchups due to lack of first step, that can be improve?

Furthermore, it is your opinion on Trent is a good defender (statistically worse than Powell, and you think Powell is not even good, then you can see how bad Trent actually is).
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#72 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:07 pm

Indeed wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Indeed wrote:

1) I have my right to speak for my opinion, I don't see why I should stop commenting when Trent has his flaw, and I don't see him grow anymore.
2) Development is not linear, not because someone younger and they can be much better, and the opposite happens that some players grow at later stage. It has more to do with what type of skills they can learn, for example you claim they can improve their passing, but not many improved in that aspect. PnR? He couldn't turn the corner against some matchups due to lack of first step, that can be improve?

Furthermore, it is your opinion on Trent is a good defender (statistically worse than Powell, and you think Powell is not even good, then you can see how bad Trent actually is).

Dont get mad. I am just clearly explaining to you how Trent will be better than Norm based on age and his trajectory compared to Norm’s. So your wrong there. And please read, because i said Trent is a average defender, not a good one.

Your argument has no basis that Trent wont be better than Norm when he likely will be this coming season as the stats iv given clearly show how much better he is than norm at same age which you are still neglecting.

Its a forum, i’ll call out weak arguments when I see them.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#73 » by Indeed » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:35 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Indeed wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

Dont get mad. I am just clearly explaining to you how Trent will be better than Norm based on age and his trajectory compared to Norm’s. So your wrong there. And please read, because i said Trent is a average defender, not a good one.

Your argument has no basis that Trent wont be better than Norm when he likely will be this coming season as the stats iv given clearly show how much better he is than norm at same age which you are still neglecting.

I am not mad, but I thought I gave an example in Stanley Johnson as in young (23 years old), but that does not mean there could be further improvement. Meanwhile, I am not sure my argument has no basis.
I mentioned these things before and I don't believe you can improve on those:
1) First step - sometimes he couldn't turn the corner under PnR, lack the explosive first step
2) Vision - doesn't seem to pass the ball with 24% usage and less than 7% of assist rate.
3) Defense - 11.38 lane agility, pretty much PF quickness without the wingspan.

I see he can improve his finishing, and maybe getting better separation / handle for mid-range jump shot, but I see him pretty much reaches his ceiling, unless he finds a way to get to the rim.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#74 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:05 pm

Indeed wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Indeed wrote:

I am not mad, but I thought I gave an example in Stanley Johnson as in young (23 years old), but that does not mean there could be further improvement. Meanwhile, I am not sure my argument has no basis.
I mentioned these things before and I don't believe you can improve on those:
1) First step - sometimes he couldn't turn the corner under PnR, lack the explosive first step
2) Vision - doesn't seem to pass the ball with 24% usage and less than 7% of assist rate.
3) Defense - 11.38 lane agility, pretty much PF quickness without the wingspan.

I see he can improve his finishing, and maybe getting better separation / handle for mid-range jump shot, but I see him pretty much reaches his ceiling, unless he finds a way to get to the rim.

And I responded saying Trent and Stanley are in 2 different worlds of talent. Your example doesn't make any sense. Stanley cant shoot for beans which causes a lot of his problems to score as teams arent scared of his shooting or lack thereof. Stanley has zero skill. Go look at their stats for the first 3 seasons. Zero growth for Stanley while Trent increased his production every year.

Trent very much as high upside and to stick to my argument, will be a better player than Norm very shortly. P and R's creation to score or create for his teammates, all which will improve, mixed in with his lights out shooting. And I like Norm, Trent is just way ahead of him at the same stage of their careers.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#75 » by gp2015 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:37 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

His trajectory is much higher than Norm's at the same age, so you're argument doesn't really make sense, especially when Trent is not even that far off talent wise and Norn's been in the league for 6 years.

Um no, it's just pretty clear the trajectory he's taking especially since he's way ahead of Norm at the same age which I've alluded to multiple times and you both still havent given any responses. FYI, check Masai's comments once he made the Trent deal "we love his upside". So it's not just me with that view, it's an all time talent evaluator. Go back to bed.

Is this the same all time talent evaluator that drafted Bruno at 20 and loved his potential upside? No one is perfect.

As I said, there are many factors in whether a player gets better and it's not just a guarantee because of their age. No one can say for sure that Trent will be a better player than Norm and it would be stupid to do so. You can take an educated guess but there are no guarantees.

Time for bedtime little baby.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#76 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:54 pm

gp2015 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

Is this the same all time talent evaluator that drafted Bruno at 20 and loved his potential upside? No one is perfect.

As I said, there are many factors in whether a player gets better and it's not just a guarantee because of their age. No one can say for sure that Trent will be a better player than Norm and it would be stupid to do so. You can take an educated guess but there are no guarantees.

It's the same GM who brought us a chip with zero lottery picks on the team :lol: . And who drafted/signed gems OG, Siakam, Norm, OG, etc. Dont start name calling because you dont understand clear facts I've given. Choose to ignore them I've given of how Trent will be a better player than Norm, and it's likely going to happen this season while Norm has 3 years ahead of him in the league and 5 years older. Go back to bed :lol:
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,968

Post#77 » by vulture » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:31 pm

Think about this for a moment, would you rather have Norm for 5 years at 18 mill or Gary at 17 for 2 years as a prove it contract? I'll take the Gary contract tbh.
He didn't play well defensively when he came over but he's actually above average on that end and this year will show that.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#78 » by gp2015 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:39 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

It's the same GM who brought us a chip with zero lottery picks on the team :lol: . And who drafted/signed gems OG, Siakam, Norm, OG, etc. Dont start name calling because you dont understand clear facts I've given. Choose to ignore them I've given of how Trent will be a better player than Norm, and it's likely going to happen this season while Norm has 3 years ahead of him in the league and 5 years older. Go back to bed :lol:

No one is perfect.

You've given absolutely no facts, other than your guess based on his age and other people's opinion of him. There have been many players that have started off with better stats than Norm but have ended up worse players. As I said, it is stupid to make guarantees on player's futures.

Bedtime for you. School is tomorrow where you get to learn how not to make stupid assumptions.

Does baby needs their blankie? :lol:
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#79 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:06 pm

gp2015 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

No one is perfect.

You've given absolutely no facts, other than your guess based on his age and other people's opinion of him. There have been many players that have started off with better stats than Norm but have ended up worse players. As I said, it is stupid to make guarantees on player's futures.

Bedtime for you. School is tomorrow where you get to learn how not to make stupid assumptions.

Does baby needs their blankie? :lol:

The facts are there. Age, trajectory are all in line for him to be a better player than Norm. Seems you're just talking out of your A** and dont want to admit when you're just flat out wrong and choose to ignore the evidence I've given. Go back to bed Clueless #1 :lol:
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#80 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:07 pm

vulture wrote:Think about this for a moment, would you rather have Norm for 5 years at 18 mill or Gary at 17 for 2 years as a prove it contract? I'll take the Gary contract tbh.
He didn't play well defensively when he came over but he's actually above average on that end and this year will show that.

Enough of that intelligent talk.

Return to Toronto Raptors