ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA will NOT mandate vaccines

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Re: NBA will NOT mandate vaccines 

Post#61 » by Pointgod » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:13 pm

mademan wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Its a union. They cant.

True, but what about the vaccinated union members who want a safe workplace? how does the union protect them?

They better be doing daily testing on the unvaccinated.

the vaccines protect them? the entire point of the vaccine is that it doesnt prevent you from not getting it but it does prevent you from really getting sick from it. Others being vaccinated/unvaccinated around you doesnt really change anything for you if youre vaccinated.

Actually it does. The vaccination weakens the virus and reduces transmission. If I work with a bunch of unvaccinated people people the risk of getting covid is higher than if I work with a bunch of vaccinated people. It’s a very simple concept in addition to preventing people from symptoms, hospitalization and death.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#62 » by SharoneWright » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:27 pm

Pointgod wrote:
mademan wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
True, but what about the vaccinated union members who want a safe workplace? how does the union protect them?

the vaccines protect them? the entire point of the vaccine is that it doesnt prevent you from not getting it but it does prevent you from really getting sick from it. Others being vaccinated/unvaccinated around you doesnt really change anything for you if youre vaccinated.

Actually it does. The vaccination weakens the virus and reduces transmission. If I work with a bunch of unvaccinated people people the risk of getting covid is higher than if I work with a bunch of vaccinated people. It’s a very simple concept in addition to preventing people from symptoms, hospitalization and death.

Careful. Alex Berenson got permanently banned by Twitter for suggesting you could think of the vaccine as a therapeutic; reducing symptoms and reducing transmission, etc.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#63 » by lolwut » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:48 pm

DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:
lolwut wrote:
shefcurry wrote:
Bodily autonomy is bodily autonomy. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Splitting hairs about why it's okay to have bodily autonomy in one case and not the other just goes to show how relative our so-called "morals" are as a species. One day we'll fight to the death to defend someone's rights, but then just change the circumstances and suddenly we'll round those same people up and put them in camps for our "protection". Look at the Japanese in WW2.

I speak as someone who is fully vaccinated and hopes everyone gets vaccinated.

It's not splitting hairs. It's about caring about the well being of the society vs not caring, and there's a clear distinction between the two.

Many vaccines are already mandatory. Kids attending school must be immunized against a big list of infectious diseases. Where's the body autonomy in that? You're not allowed to simply say "my son wants measles, so he can have measles".
https://www.ontario.ca/page/vaccines-children-school

Mandatory vaccines are stupid and forcing our kids to get them to go to school is 100% wrong. One stupid rule doesn't justify an equally dumb rule. Our parents should have never let that happen but i'm sure they were fear mongered into it like most people taking this vaccine. When they own all the media it's so easy to get people to do whatever you want them to do(our news is mostly owned by a few massive organizations like Rogers or Bell).

So if you have a kid, you have absolutely no problem with him/her catching measles from school?
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
Mart1546
Junior
And1: 137

Post#64 » by Mart1546 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:49 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
chubbs715 wrote:I'm not surprised but don't really care that much either. I don't think unvaccinated players can even come to Canada or play in NY and SF currently, wouldn't be surprised if a few more cities in the US follow through. Looks like we'll see a few rosters looking thin or having to play their bench more against certain teams, curious to see if players are really willing to sit out, especially ones fighting for the playoffs and they have to play Knicks and Nets for their last two games lol

In theory it should most definitely be a personal choice as having control of one's body similar to the abortion debate. Immunization though is effective if you reach critical mass numbers of people vaccinated and they can also develop their own immunity by contracting a less threatening load of this virus. That works for the vaccinated and so many chose to be two dose administrred. That overwhelming majority of people will never be mandated because after being presented with best known evidence they made the willing safety decision. Those left are mostly a danger to themselves because they are not best protected against critical illness. In Canada the employer is legally responsible for a worker's safety while on the job. An employer could argue to keep workers safe from critical illness while on the job they will have to mandate vaccination for some who remain unvaccinated and at risk. Society deems people at risk without seat belts and air bags. Most outside South Carolina easily comply. This is an extrapolation of that concept. That the NBA chooses to heed civil Libertarians that often bitch about all of the protocols, including masks, boo hoo, is now a league staring at no win damage control. So some handful of players with profiles are either smarter than everyone combined, the earth is Kyrie flat or some lost souls fools are afraid of a leadership position outside the self attention platform of twitter where there are no stakes when spouting opinions to followers. Gamble on your personal choices if so inclined but do not expect to have others willingly go down swinging too. Time for a one on one basketball league for the unvaccinated.

Oh I definitely agree with you 100%, but at this point I think I'm just numb to people coming up with reasons not to get the vaccine and they cannot be convinced otherwise, and I'm sure a lot of people feel similar. As for the NBA, it seems like a only a handful of players will be affected because they cannot be convinced either, but we'll see if they change their mind if they're losing money for games they cannot play in.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#65 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:32 pm

lolwut wrote:
DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:
lolwut wrote:It's not splitting hairs. It's about caring about the well being of the society vs not caring, and there's a clear distinction between the two.

Many vaccines are already mandatory. Kids attending school must be immunized against a big list of infectious diseases. Where's the body autonomy in that? You're not allowed to simply say "my son wants measles, so he can have measles".

Mandatory vaccines are stupid and forcing our kids to get them to go to school is 100% wrong. One stupid rule doesn't justify an equally dumb rule. Our parents should have never let that happen but i'm sure they were fear mongered into it like most people taking this vaccine. When they own all the media it's so easy to get people to do whatever you want them to do(our news is mostly owned by a few massive organizations like Rogers or Bell).

So if you have a kid, you have absolutely no problem with him/her catching measles from school?

If you eat the right diet(most don't),clean water(not tap crap), get fresh air(sealed homes.. open a damn window get some fresh air), take 0 medications and vaccines you will never get sick. The only thing going around is fear.
lolwut
General Manager

Post#66 » by lolwut » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:35 pm

DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:
lolwut wrote:
DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:

If you eat the right diet(most don't),clean water(not tap crap), get fresh air(sealed homes.. open a damn window get some fresh air), take 0 medications and vaccines you will never get sick. The only thing going around is fear.

Can't tell if you're just trolling at this point or not, but that is simply not true... How did professional athletes, with access to the best diets and exercise in the world, catch COVID?

Also, you failed to answer my question. If you have a kid, you're okay with him catching measles from school? Or is it your belief that your kid will never catch these diseases because you'll be feeding him a good diet and fresh air?
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,038

Post#67 » by ItsDanger » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:40 pm

CDC recommended masks for vaccinated people on the basis that the vaccines did not stop transmission. There's enough studies over the summer to support this. The rest is just nuance BS. Sorry to break it to you.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#68 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:48 pm

DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:a vaccination that's being forced on all the people of the world are idiots?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:If you eat the right diet(most don't),clean water(not tap crap), get fresh air(sealed homes.. open a damn window get some fresh air), take 0 medications and vaccines you will never get sick. The only thing going around is fear.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#69 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:56 pm

The problem isn't that 2/3'ds of the population is not scientifically literate. The problem is they don't realize it.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#70 » by vini_vidi_vici » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:02 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:The problem isn't that 2/3'ds of the population is not scientifically literate. The problem is they don't realize it.

iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
lolwut
General Manager

Post#71 » by lolwut » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:09 pm

I wonder how the indigenous people in North America feel about smallpox. If only their ancestors didn't eat so much junk food and invented Lifestraws.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#72 » by Mikistan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:25 pm

lolwut wrote:
shefcurry wrote:
Mikistan wrote:The abortion comparison is false equivalence. An abortion doesn't endanger everyone around you in your community.
Further the people tha don't get vaccinated are not "mostly" a danger to themselves. They are a danger to themselves and everyone who is not vaccinated (aka every single child below 14 years of age) and everyone with a predisposed condition.

Bodily autonomy is bodily autonomy. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Splitting hairs about why it's okay to have bodily autonomy in one case and not the other just goes to show how relative our so-called "morals" are as a species. One day we'll fight to the death to defend someone's rights, but then just change the circumstances and suddenly we'll round those same people up and put them in camps for our "protection". Look at the Japanese in WW2.

I speak as someone who is fully vaccinated and hopes everyone gets vaccinated.

It's not splitting hairs. It's about caring about the well being of the society vs not caring, and there's a clear distinction between the two.

Thank you for responding with logic.

I worry about that shefcurry post - why is it that the content jumps to world war 2 and strawmen when people argue these things...

Shef, think about HIV - its a crime for someone who is sick to knowingly get other people sick. Bodilyy autonomy from the State - but not from the mouth breathers that stand too close to you, eh?
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#73 » by Mikistan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:27 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:a vaccination that's being forced on all the people of the world are idiots?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:If you eat the right diet(most don't),clean water(not tap crap), get fresh air(sealed homes.. open a damn window get some fresh air), take 0 medications and vaccines you will never get sick. The only thing going around is fear.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why are you laughing MadDog! There are children dying from fear in Florida and Texas you know!!!

I only drink clean water from Nestle and I never get sick.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#74 » by Dennis 37 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:37 pm

ItsDanger wrote:CDC recommended masks for vaccinated people on the basis that the vaccines did not stop transmission. There's enough studies over the summer to support this. The rest is just nuance BS. Sorry to break it to you.

I haven't read all the posts here bit I do recognize basic math.

70 to 90 percent of new cases are unvaccinated depending on the day.

Close to 80% of people are double vaccinated.

So, even though there are 4 times more vaccinated, the unvaccinated make up 70% of new cases.

People, who have the disease, vaccinated or not will spread it.

The logical conclusion is that vaccinated persons don't spread the disease as much because a far lower percentage of vaccinated persons catch the disease. Otherwise their share of new cases should be 80%, the same as the vaccinated rate.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#75 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:51 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:The logical conclusion is that vaccinated persons don't spread the disease as much.

We don't even need logic. We have published and peer-reviewed studies all over the place that confirm this.

Vaccines reduce transmission and I haven't seen a single study that shows otherwise.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/08/study-ties-covid-vaccines-lower-transmission-rates
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2107717
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00127-7/fulltext
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.13.21260393v1
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Post#76 » by Reeko » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:05 pm

It was fun while it lasted but I’m locking this up. Any future COVID discussions can be had on the Off Topic Canada forum.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,772

Post#77 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:06 pm

mademan wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Its a union. They cant.

It changes initially viral load most always so it actually should matter.

Return to Toronto Raptors