ImageImageImageImageImage

Dalano Banton Discussion / Appreciation

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Elmago
Junior
And1: 390

Re: Dalano Banton Discussion 

Post#321 » by Elmago » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:39 am

PRESTIGE wrote:
niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter

What the heck is Alvin saying?

I feel like thats a good example of the pros and cons of Alvin. He's using basketball lingo, that was an "X-out", a type of defensive rotation. Alvin obviously knows what he's talking about, but he doesn't necessarily articulate it very well.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,416

Post#322 » by WuTang_OG » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:08 pm

Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#323 » by Indeed » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:55 pm

PrinceAli wrote:Remember when we picked Dalano and we all got even more pissed cause we were already pissed that we took Scottie :lol:

Never doubting Masai ever again. David Johnson probably gonna be a player in the future too

I didn't. Was defending Barnes in the pre-draft thread and was happy with Banton, just wasn't expecting them to be NBA ready. I was expecting Johnson to be more NBA ready with his ability to take 3 pointers, but I was wrong on that.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#324 » by Indeed » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:01 pm

bonjovi0308 wrote:But 8 turnovers

I guess this is the reason we put him in G-League. Some of them he tries to do too much, dribbling into multiple defense, making passes against longer and quicker defender. I think he limited himself in the NBA games to avoid those turnovers, now in G-League, he can risk those and make the adjustment. I am surprised his shooting though, particularly free throw, 4 / 4.

I don't think his skill level is at Flynn, but his size and length compensate for that.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#325 » by ruckus » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:51 pm

Banton is impressive.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#326 » by Hair Canada » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:19 pm

Banton is certainly exceeding my expectation, having followed his progress for the last 6 years. Always believed he has NBA potential but didn't expect it to translate so quickly after having some difficulties late in the season at Nebraska. Still, it's a pleasure to see how he's been able to figure things out.

I went back and looked at what I wrote about him in 2018, when he just entered college (Western Kentucky, where he hardly got any playing time) as an anonymous young Canadian:

"Banton is one of the more underrated Canadians coming out of high school this year. Reminds me a bit of SGA, who was also underrated coming into college last year. Like Shai, somewhat of a late-bloomer, who has really made some significant strides during his final high school year. Like Shai, not the strongest or most athletic guard you will find, though he can certainly finish above the rim in traffic. Has somewhat of an underwhelming frame, sporting narrow hips and thin shoulders. But, again like Shai, he has long strides, plays with composure, deceptively changes speeds, and able to regularly get to the basket despite his lack of explosive first step. When he’s fully engaged and in attack mode, Banton can be very dominant on both ends of the floor, with great size for a combo guard. He’s a good ball-handler, who can definitely lead the offense at least some of the time. Showed good scoring abilities last year from all three levels. His 3-point shot still needs refinement and greater persistency. But he already has floaters and mid-range stop-and-pops in his arsenal, and can also finish nicely at the rim with either hand."
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,810

Post#327 » by ash_k » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:06 pm

a few weeks ago, I think it was Kevin Willis that came up with a theory. At the time, I did not think any of it. But now..
The kid has barely played in 2 years and then he goes to G-League and score 30: FO must have been planning this with Banton's team for a couple of years :lol:
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#328 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:12 pm

Hair Canada wrote:Banton is certainly exceeding my expectation, having followed his progress for the last 6 years. Always believed he has NBA potential but didn't expect it to translate so quickly after having some difficulties late in the season at Nebraska. Still, it's a pleasure to see how he's been able to figure things out.

I went back and looked at what I wrote about him in 2018, when he just entered college (Western Kentucky, where he hardly got any playing time) as an anonymous young Canadian:

"Banton is one of the more underrated Canadians coming out of high school this year. Reminds me a bit of SGA, who was also underrated coming into college last year. Like Shai, somewhat of a late-bloomer, who has really made some significant strides during his final high school year. Like Shai, not the strongest or most athletic guard you will find, though he can certainly finish above the rim in traffic. Has somewhat of an underwhelming frame, sporting narrow hips and thin shoulders. But, again like Shai, he has long strides, plays with composure, deceptively changes speeds, and able to regularly get to the basket despite his lack of explosive first step. When he’s fully engaged and in attack mode, Banton can be very dominant on both ends of the floor, with great size for a combo guard. He’s a good ball-handler, who can definitely lead the offense at least some of the time. Showed good scoring abilities last year from all three levels. His 3-point shot still needs refinement and greater persistency. But he already has floaters and mid-range stop-and-pops in his arsenal, and can also finish nicely at the rim with either hand."

that is pretty damn impressive sir
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,452

Post#329 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:24 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:Banton is certainly exceeding my expectation, having followed his progress for the last 6 years. Always believed he has NBA potential but didn't expect it to translate so quickly after having some difficulties late in the season at Nebraska. Still, it's a pleasure to see how he's been able to figure things out.

Hair Canada is consistently ahead of the game when it comes to Canadian prospects. Check out his (her? guess I shouldn't assume) posts on the Team Canada threads.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM

Post#330 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:30 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:

Hair Canada is consistently ahead of the game when it comes to Canadian prospects. Check out his (her? guess I shouldn't assume) posts on the Team Canada threads.

yes I have noted this before. amazing to read up on one of our own though (Raptors I mean). And yes quite so on the assumptions. I see I was guilty of that myself above. Either way, impressive and awesome expertise to have on our board. Great stuff Hair Canada!
lobosloboslobos
RealGM

Post#331 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:35 pm

Dalano's combination of speed, length and finishing ability is insane. And that doesn't even count his vision, and he had some sweet dishes last night.

Night Bus is the real deal. Can't wait to see how good he will become in the next few years.

Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#332 » by Kingsway_fan » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:39 pm

tonight's game against detroit could be his best yet given minutes should Fred not play ...
bballwatcher23
Sophomore
And1: 79

Post#333 » by bballwatcher23 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:07 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:Dalano's combination of speed, length and finishing ability is insane. And that doesn't even count his vision, and he had some sweet dishes last night.

Night Bus is the real deal. Can't wait to see how good he will become in the next few years.

Damn!
gbball
Starter
And1: 2,296

Post#334 » by gbball » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:49 pm

Banton reminds me of a gigantic Leandro Barbosa.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#335 » by Westside Gunn » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:56 pm

Because he's so damn tall and his dribble high, the attacking looks a bit disorderly. This is probably me nitpicking but he will need to study Kevin Durant and invest all that time in a reliable jumper.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,077

Post#336 » by mihaic » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:54 pm

Bonga was great in both games against the knicks, I have seen both live. The first game he dominated, but second game he deferred a lot to Banton, probably requested by the coach. Still he bailed us in the clutch converting on 2 possessions while Banton had a clutch turnover.

I can see why they kept Bonga he looked really good MVP-like against the gleague Knicks. He has a really smooth 3-pointer and is also super active on Defense.
But Banton has clearly greater potential even if he is less polished at the moment. He has the potential to be unstoppable if he develops a 3. My gawd he is fast.

BTW Scottie Fred (&wife too...) Svi and Malachi were all at the game, same for Nick Nurse. Scottie jumped the fence & came in the seating area to take pictures with fans, right where I was seated, he is sooo likeable! What a person we drafted, A++++. We have quite the likeable team.

Unfortunately Fred went too fast thru the tunnel I wanted to ask him about the big balls dance :)
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,575

Post#337 » by mdenny » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:28 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:Because he's so damn tall and his dribble high, the attacking looks a bit disorderly. This is probably me nitpicking but he will need to study Kevin Durant and invest all that time in a reliable jumper.

I've noticed the same thing. His high-dribble looks vulnerable for opposing guards to swipe at after more familiarity with him. I imagine that's a somewhat easy adjustment for him to make though.

You can tell he has been told to sprint up the floor at every opportunity. Seems to be working. Also....he's getting alot of rebounds for put-backs.

I'm just so stoked that we're looking at another long-shot draft find.

Earlier this week....chad Ford said Banton is leading more advanced stat categories than ANY other rookie.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#338 » by slicedbread2 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:31 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:

That is one amazingly detailed report. I often refer to Shai as Sega Genesis due to the fact that after learning from CP3 he became unleashed(initially learned from Sam Cassell his rookie year). I checked his college stats and they were insane:

37 games: 14.4pts/4.1rbs/5.1asts/1.6stls on shooting splits of 48.5/40.4/81.7 from the field.

It's absolutely insane that he fell as low as he did. Knicks fans will be punching air for taking Kevin Knox over SGA. A good indicator of whether or not a player's shot will translate from college to the NBA are 3 factors:

-Field goal %. If it's in the high 40's at minimum there's a strong chance he'll get there.
-3pt shot. If it's in the high 30's-low 40's even better
-FT shot. Anything in the low 80's is a good indicator of it translating to the pros. OG had the 1st 2 points checked down, but he was a career 52% FT shooter at Indiana who's shot needed a lot of work. Thankfully the Raptors coaching staff has made strides with him in becoming a reliable FT shooter.

SGA checked all the boxes and is a true 3 threat level scorer and learning from the point god was crucial.

With Banton I thought he'd be a Shaun Livingston prototype as a long guard/wing who could become a reliable secondary ball handler at minimum who's length could be used to defend the smaller guards. If he could've done what Shaun did with the Warriors minus the career altering injury I'd be thrilled especially as he was a mid 2nd round pick. His college stats were 40.8/23.7/63.1 from the field indicating he'd need a lot of work. The fact that he looks composed and aggressive for the most part is good to see.

If he were to be at least half as good as SGA man that'd be amazing.
ParadoxJ
Junior
And1: 346

Post#339 » by ParadoxJ » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:53 pm

Layzie Bone went to work in the g league.
ParadoxJ
Junior
And1: 346

Post#340 » by ParadoxJ » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:54 pm

I really need to attend one of these gleague games this year!

Return to Toronto Raptors