ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Scottie Barnes Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Re: Official Scottie Barnes Thread 

Post#1121 » by will » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:01 pm

Everytime Scottie has the ball in his hands, I genuine get excited at what he is going to do.
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,934

Post#1122 » by vulture » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:32 pm

will wrote:Everytime Scottie has the ball in his hands, I genuine get excited at what he is going to do.

At some point he's going to have to realize that he is the best player on this team and just create. He's easing into the game too much. Even Pascal was telling him to shoot it yesterday.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,500

Post#1123 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:36 pm

Scottie doesn't realize yet just how good he is and that he can outmuscle like 99% of his defenders already at this point. Once he fully realizes this and he develops a couple consistent go to moves, watch out.
will
RealGM
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#1124 » by will » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:38 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Scottie doesn't realize yet just how good he is and that he can outmuscle like 99% of his defenders already at this point. Once he fully realizes this and he develops a couple consistent go to moves, watch out.

My body is ready.
will
RealGM

Post#1125 » by will » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:39 pm

vulture wrote:
will wrote:Everytime Scottie has the ball in his hands, I genuine get excited at what he is going to do.

At some point he's going to have to realize that he is the best player on this team and just create. He's easing into the game too much. Even Pascal was telling him to shoot it yesterday.

That will also require the encouragement of the senior leadership within the Raps organization to get the team to understand.
vulture
Lead Assistant

Post#1126 » by vulture » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:59 pm

will wrote:
vulture wrote:

That will also require the encouragement of the senior leadership within the Raps organization to get the team to understand.

Great players aren't given the keys and he's going to have to take it. You can tell all these guys would love it if that happened because it would ease the burden of Fred and Pascal.
Nick is doing his job in telling him to shoot more and the kid doesn't even look at the rim in the first half. 3rd quarter runs are great, but he's gotta do it for the whole game.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#1127 » by Son Goku 25 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:11 pm

vulture wrote:
will wrote:
vulture wrote:

Great players aren't given the keys and he's going to have to take it. You can tell all these guys would love it if that happened because it would ease the burden of Fred and Pascal.
Nick is doing his job in telling him to shoot more and the kid doesn't even look at the rim in the first half. 3rd quarter runs are great, but he's gotta do it for the whole game.

I think its by design tbh. Scottie is an unselfish player and wants to get his teammates going first. I agree he should be more aggressive but it's great seeing a rookie take that approach instead of some of our vets who should know better.
vulture
Lead Assistant

Post#1128 » by vulture » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:19 pm

Son Goku 25 wrote:
vulture wrote:
will wrote:

I think its by design tbh. Scottie is an unselfish player and wants to get his teammates going first. I agree he should be more aggressive but it's great seeing a rookie take that approach instead of some of our vets who should know better.

I love the unselfishness, but eventually he will have to understand that he has the advantage most of the game. It's actually selfish not to shoot.
It's just a mindset and that switch will have to be flipped.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,871

Post#1129 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:39 pm

As much as I love Mobley (I've always believed that he'll be a superstar) - people are forgetting that the Raptors development staff is SIGNFICANTLY better than the Cavs. That'll make a big difference.

Pistons and Cavs suck at developing players.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,038

Post#1130 » by ItsDanger » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:45 pm

If you ran Scottie at PG and the rest of the lineup was OG,Siakam, (insert mid lottery wing talent from '22 draft), what kind of centre could be effective that is feasible to acquire?

I wonder if Nurse is thinking what I'm thinking.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#1131 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:45 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:As much as I love Mobley (I've always believed that he'll be a superstar) - people are forgetting that the Raptors development staff is SIGNFICANTLY better than the Cavs. That'll make a big difference.

I think Mobley is almost too good to fail though. He's going be an allstar big for long time.

The Cavs have something with the Mobley/Garland pair.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#1132 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:49 pm

ItsDanger wrote:If you ran Scottie at PG and the rest of the lineup was OG,Siakam, (insert mid lottery wing talent from '22 draft), what kind of centre could be effective that is feasible to acquire?

Scottie is not a very good halfcourt playmaker though. He's more of a secondary ballhandler and a guy who can make plays on swings or when he's doubled. The offense would be a mess if he was your primary ballhandler.

I think developing his offense/shooting is more important than his halfcourt playmaking at this point. If we want him to be a top 15 player eventually, his scoring needs to be elite.
vulture
Lead Assistant

Post#1133 » by vulture » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:00 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:If you ran Scottie at PG and the rest of the lineup was OG,Siakam, (insert mid lottery wing talent from '22 draft), what kind of centre could be effective that is feasible to acquire?

Scottie is not a very good halfcourt playmaker though. He's more of a secondary ballhandler and a guy who can make plays on swings or when he's doubled. The offense would be a mess if he was your primary ballhandler.

I think developing his offense/shooting is more important than his halfcourt playmaking at this point. If we want him to be a top 15 player eventually, his scoring needs to be elite.

If we're going to suck it's best to start figuring out if he can handle that. His offense/shooting is important to develop, but having a big wing who can playmake is actually king in this league because he can control all aspects of the game.
Maybe this is a 2nd half of the season type swing.
will
RealGM

Post#1134 » by will » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:05 pm

Nurkic.
Mo Bamba.

Bol Bol would be a wild swing.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#1135 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:10 pm

will wrote:

Nurkic.
Mo Bamba.

There's a good young fit on the roster already in Precious. He's already a good defender and rebounder. He's starting to take open 3s, so he has the potential to stretch the floor. His shot selection and play around the rim needs major improving, but at only 22 years old, he's got lots of time to correct those issues.

If you're rebuilding, you might as well give the young guys an extended run to see what you have before trading for outside help.
will
RealGM

Post#1136 » by will » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:33 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
will wrote:

Nurkic.
Mo Bamba.

There's a good young fit on the roster already in Precious. He's already a good defender and rebounder. He's starting to take open 3s, so he has the potential to stretch the floor. His shot selection and play around the rim needs major improving, but at only 22 years old, he's got lots of time to correct those issues.

If you're rebuilding, you might as well give the young guys an extended run to see what you have before trading for outside help.

Young legit 7 footers who can shoot, rebound and block shats. Can't never have enough of them on a squad.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,625

Post#1137 » by Bruin » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:41 pm

Scottie has made almost twice as many 3s in his first 19 games as Simmons has made in his career

Completely different mentality and work ethic
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,871

Post#1138 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:36 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:As much as I love Mobley (I've always believed that he'll be a superstar) - people are forgetting that the Raptors development staff is SIGNFICANTLY better than the Cavs. That'll make a big difference.

I think Mobley is almost too good to fail though. He's going be an allstar big for long time.

The Cavs have something with the Mobley/Garland pair.

Oh yeah not suggesting Mobley will be failure by any means. Quite the opposite actually, I truly believe he'll be a superstar. But I also believe Barnes can end up being better than him. Which most people have a very hard time believing.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,418

Post#1139 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:44 pm

Mobley is a beast but Barnes will be a better overal player
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,413

Post#1140 » by Tha Cynic » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:07 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:Mobley is a beast but Barnes will be a better overal player

Personally I think this will be like choosing between Duncan and Magic. In most cases you take the wing player, but a guy with a Duncan type of impact changes things and makes it difficult to choose.

In the end, it doesn't matter because both are on their way to being elite players. The biggest key is their basketball IQ.

With Barnes in particular, since I have watched him way more, he knows when to take over and when to be patient. He also knows exactly what to do with the ball when he's given the ball to run the team. Once this guy develops his handles, you're going to see him explode to the rim more (something he hesitated to do right now unless there's a wide open lane). This in itself will probably increase his point production by 6-8 points per game.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut

Return to Toronto Raptors