ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Scottie Barnes Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,881

Re: Official Scottie Barnes Thread 

Post#1961 » by Los_29 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 7:38 pm

Madhouse wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
Madhouse wrote:
yeah but he is injured now. This will only further contribute to declining numbers and declining production and contribution.

Where did you hear that he is injured? I haven't seen any reports that he's injured.

He was favoring his hip and on top of that just dealt with knee tendinitis

So he's not injured then considering he came back and finished the game.
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#1962 » by Madhouse » Thu Jan 6, 2022 7:43 pm

Los_29 wrote:
Madhouse wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
Where did you hear that he is injured? I haven't seen any reports that he's injured.

He is playing injured. Pushing through that's why you are going to see limited effectiveness.
Madhouse
RealGM

Post#1963 » by Madhouse » Thu Jan 6, 2022 7:45 pm

alienchild wrote:
srhcan wrote:If the big 4 stay uninjured then Raptors will replace Barnes with a Center (Birch/Auchiwa) in starting lineup
soon

No they won't. Birch/Achiuwa are meant to sub in for one of our 3 jumbo wings if necessary and anchor a second unit with a different type of play than our starters. Our current starters are likely to be pretty standard for the rest of the season.

It's probably going to be the same way as seen in recent games. Starting lineup remains the same and Birch comes in at the 8-9 minute mark.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,444

Post#1964 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Jan 6, 2022 7:53 pm

I just feel like since this is a Scottie thread discussing him & I've started to see more and more people liken his development to Kawhi, I'll basically re-post what I said in a derailed Tank thread but..you couldn't classify my take on this discussion about Scottie's reduced role as "upset" but I do think there is some LEGITIMACY to questioning it and in regards to the comparison to Kawhi is not really apples to apples. While not entirely different, there are also some key distingushments from rookie Kawhi's situation vs rookie Scottie that should have Scottie with a larger one than what Kawhi had (we'll even completely put aside the expectations of a rookie at the top of the lottery vs the very end of it)...

---------------

1. As much as some people want to call "Fred, Pascal & OG" a "championship core"....they are not and "Tim, Tony & Manu" however were. They didn't NEED to add a "Kawhi" (especially a fully developed GOAT level Playoff performance one) in order to win championship without him in their primes --nvm the emotional and on/off court leader in Kyle Lowry plus the arguably 2nd biggest factor to us winning a championship in our league best C depth (Gasol/Ibaka)....SAS already had WON SEVERAL RINGS without him and THEY were THE lead guys especially with the face of the franchise and top 10 player all time Tim Duncan STILL there, they had a loooong resume of deep Playoff runs and still very much in a championship hunt with or without him. Not the case here

Scottie is entering a team that just obtained him in the lottery and Fred, Pascal & OG, we all know clearly isn't a level of Tim, Manu & Tony but they haven't even proven to make a Playoffs, nevermind deep runs and multiple rings as THE guys..that's one.

--------------

2. Kawhi was a much more limited player offensively than Scottie is right now. Kawhi was basically "the Board Man", go in there rebound, get some touches around the basket as a result, defend get some buckets from the turnovers, they'll try to find him here or there as he cleans up his shooting mechanics and adds to his game etc. If you actually watch Kawhi as rookie, his game was really limited. He needed a lot of work to expand it further & further from just being the odd open shot or stuff around the net. They really, really worked on his shot to make him a better pitch out option to again increase his points. Then eventually as he added different spots he could get to, shot was looking more & more consistent they expanded his role to increase as his capacity/ability did. He's not at level as a rookie Scottie is...doesn't mean Scottie will be better than Kawhi because Kawhi's development is one of the most unprecedented in league history but nonetheless, Scottie can do MORE as a rookie than Kawhi was able to as a rookie

Scottie has ALREADY shown he's pretty much a 3 level scorer, post, mid and 3pt range and he's not doing it as some spot up option or hustle points like young Kawhi. He's self generating most of his own looks! It's apples to oranges what he has done/is doing vs how Kawhi was and it's not like his development is hurting the team. He has the best turnover ratio out of all the top rookies, he's playing within himself, making the right decisions, pretty much everything he's been doing feels to be within the flow of the offence. Kawhi when he was younger was struggling to know when to take his shots, to reduce taking bad ones and also do a better job looking for his teammates (which imo he STILL struggles with)....again not the case with Scottie, if anything he's had to be asked to look for his own MORE because he is so DAMN good at passing and generally makes wonderful decisions when he does that makes it dead easy for his teammates to score

In short I really don't believe that's apples to apples at all...different situation, different talent levels that they entered at. Scottie just flat out does deserve a larger role than that but we'll see how things progress.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
srhcan
Starter
And1: 1,651

Post#1965 » by srhcan » Thu Jan 6, 2022 7:55 pm

alienchild wrote:
srhcan wrote:If the big 4 stay uninjured then Raptors will replace Barnes with a Center (Birch/Auchiwa) in starting lineup
soon

No they won't. Birch/Achiuwa are meant to sub in for one of our 3 jumbo wings if necessary and anchor a second unit with a different type of play than our starters. Our current starters are likely to be pretty standard for the rest of the season.

It depends how much you value winning over development. I personally think Toronto should value development more as even at full strength they are too weak and will not beat any of the 6 teams above them on full strength in a series.
But Nurse may value winning more; his first season he got championship, then next season win 50+ games even with Kwahi gone. With such a stellar record I dont think he would sacrifice winning over development.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,005

Post#1966 » by anotherhomer » Thu Jan 6, 2022 7:57 pm

They are winning and giving Barnes minutes.

That's all that matters
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,894

Post#1967 » by Kingsway_fan » Thu Jan 6, 2022 8:13 pm

Scottie is often wide open on the give and go but players like Trent just go for their own shot.... and fail to look to make the pass..
libertyYYZ
Pro Prospect
And1: 761

Post#1968 » by libertyYYZ » Thu Jan 6, 2022 8:48 pm

Read on Twitter

The clip cuts the sequence short, but Barnes was in the post checking passing options and then made the final pass fake to go into a Nowitzki fade shot with the clock winding down. It was a wow moment that I've never seen a from a rookie. It had me hooting like a proud father! :D
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
Madhouse
RealGM

Post#1969 » by Madhouse » Thu Jan 6, 2022 9:01 pm

srhcan wrote:
alienchild wrote:
soon

It depends how much you value winning over development. I personally think Toronto should value development more as even at full strength they are too weak and will not beat any of the 6 teams above them on full strength in a series.
But Nurse may value winning more; his first season he got championship, then next season win 50+ games even with Kwahi gone. With such a stellar record I dont think he would sacrifice winning over development.

Nurse is coaching to win. That's why FVV is playing the most MPG in the NBA, that's why Barnes is the 5th option, that's why Barnes is now taking over backup PG duties because Banton and Flynn aren't good. What gives the team to best chance to win here will be done.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,192

Post#1970 » by Tofubeque » Thu Jan 6, 2022 9:29 pm

libertyYYZ wrote:
Read on Twitter

The clip cuts the sequence short, but Barnes was in the post checking passing options and then made the final pass fake to go into a Nowitzki fade shot with the clock winding down. It was a wow moment that I've never seen a from a rookie. It had me hooting like a proud father! :D

You and me both. He transitioned to the shot so quickly after the fake I thought "oh he rushed it"

It's wild how little time he needs to square up and shoot accurately.
props Turbozone
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,668

Post#1971 » by dTox » Thu Jan 6, 2022 9:32 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:I just feel like since this is a Scottie thread discussing him & I've started to see more and more people liken his development to Kawhi, I'll basically re-post what I said in a derailed Tank thread but..you couldn't classify my take on this discussion about Scottie's reduced role as "upset" but I do think there is some LEGITIMACY to questioning it and in regards to the comparison to Kawhi is not really apples to apples. While not entirely different, there are also some key distingushments from rookie Kawhi's situation vs rookie Scottie that should have Scottie with a larger one than what Kawhi had (we'll even completely put aside the expectations of a rookie at the top of the lottery vs the very end of it)...

---------------

1. As much as some people want to call "Fred, Pascal & OG" a "championship core"....they are not and "Tim, Tony & Manu" however were. They didn't NEED to add a "Kawhi" (especially a fully developed GOAT level Playoff performance one) in order to win championship without him in their primes --nvm the emotional and on/off court leader in Kyle Lowry plus the arguably 2nd biggest factor to us winning a championship in our league best C depth (Gasol/Ibaka)....SAS already had WON SEVERAL RINGS without him and THEY were THE lead guys especially with the face of the franchise and top 10 player all time Tim Duncan STILL there, they had a loooong resume of deep Playoff runs and still very much in a championship hunt with or without him. Not the case here

Scottie is entering a team that just obtained him in the lottery and Fred, Pascal & OG, we all know clearly isn't a level of Tim, Manu & Tony but they haven't even proven to make a Playoffs, nevermind deep runs and multiple rings as THE guys..that's one.

--------------

2. Kawhi was a much more limited player offensively than Scottie is right now. Kawhi was basically "the Board Man", go in there rebound, get some touches around the basket as a result, defend get some buckets from the turnovers, they'll try to find him here or there as he cleans up his shooting mechanics and adds to his game etc. If you actually watch Kawhi as rookie, his game was really limited. He needed a lot of work to expand it further & further from just being the odd open shot or stuff around the net. They really, really worked on his shot to make him a better pitch out option to again increase his points. Then eventually as he added different spots he could get to, shot was looking more & more consistent they expanded his role to increase as his capacity/ability did. He's not at level as a rookie Scottie is...doesn't mean Scottie will be better than Kawhi because Kawhi's development is one of the most unprecedented in league history but nonetheless, Scottie can do MORE as a rookie than Kawhi was able to as a rookie

Scottie has ALREADY shown he's pretty much a 3 level scorer, post, mid and 3pt range and he's not doing it as some spot up option or hustle points like young Kawhi. He's self generating most of his own looks! It's apples to oranges what he has done/is doing vs how Kawhi was and it's not like his development is hurting the team. He has the best turnover ratio out of all the top rookies, he's playing within himself, making the right decisions, pretty much everything he's been doing feels to be within the flow of the offence. Kawhi when he was younger was struggling to know when to take his shots, to reduce taking bad ones and also do a better job looking for his teammates (which imo he STILL struggles with)....again not the case with Scottie, if anything he's had to be asked to look for his own MORE because he is so DAMN good at passing and generally makes wonderful decisions when he does that makes it dead easy for his teammates to score

In short I really don't believe that's apples to apples at all...different situation, different talent levels that they entered at. Scottie just flat out does deserve a larger role than that but we'll see how things progress.

very well said, and my thoughts exactly.
TBZ for the win
Madhouse
RealGM

Post#1972 » by Madhouse » Thu Jan 6, 2022 11:04 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:I just feel like since this is a Scottie thread discussing him & I've started to see more and more people liken his development to Kawhi, I'll basically re-post what I said in a derailed Tank thread but..you couldn't classify my take on this discussion about Scottie's reduced role as "upset" but I do think there is some LEGITIMACY to questioning it and in regards to the comparison to Kawhi is not really apples to apples. While not entirely different, there are also some key distingushments from rookie Kawhi's situation vs rookie Scottie that should have Scottie with a larger one than what Kawhi had (we'll even completely put aside the expectations of a rookie at the top of the lottery vs the very end of it)...

---------------

--------------

Good post. You highlighted why he should not be compared to Kawhi and he is also much better as a rookie than deRozan. It's going to be a major struggle for him because he won't get the ball as much as he did in the beginning of the year now as the 5th option. When he does shooting 3s isn't really what you what to see and sitting in the corner and when FVV is off the court he is supposed to run the offense but he really can't do that effectively. He has to make up for what the roster lacks. I don't think it's anyones fault either, it just is what it is and is going to result in a lot more bad games and struggles than you anticipated after his great start to the year. I totally agree with you about deserving but I don't think it's feasible in the current situation.
Dude-niagara
Bench Warmer
And1: 984

Post#1973 » by Dude-niagara » Thu Jan 6, 2022 11:38 pm

Madhouse wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
Madhouse wrote:

He is playing injured. Pushing through that's why you are going to see limited effectiveness.

He is fine, only think wrong is Fred and Siakam are hogging shots, you think Fred or Siakam would look good with 6 shots a night?
Dude-niagara
Bench Warmer
And1: 984

Post#1974 » by Dude-niagara » Thu Jan 6, 2022 11:39 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
Madhouse wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
Probably the type of injury where it won’t fully heal until it has surgery but not significant enough to make him get it during the season.

You’re not watching the raptors play if you think they have the luxury of sitting him.

They absolutely should have the luxury of sitting an injured Barnes who is taking 6-7 shots per game and is 6th in usage behind Booshay. Not that an injured player is very effective anyway.

He’s averaging 12/8/4 since everyone’s been healthy, you can’t replace those numbers with Boucher, like what lol ?

His stats are about to crash because he attempts will be lower then Precious the way Nurse coaches, terrible what they are doing to this kid
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,251

Post#1975 » by Dalek » Fri Jan 7, 2022 12:15 am

The past couple games look like he has hit the rookie wall. The passing has been nice, but he hasn't been as aggressive. I wonder if him playing more C minutes has impacted his decline. It is physically taxing to play that position. It could also be that his conditioning has fallen off. Still don't understand how he got knee tendinitis when he couldn't practice during COVID - just weird.
Madhouse
RealGM

Post#1976 » by Madhouse » Fri Jan 7, 2022 12:29 am

Dude-niagara wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
Madhouse wrote:
They absolutely should have the luxury of sitting an injured Barnes who is taking 6-7 shots per game and is 6th in usage behind Booshay. Not that an injured player is very effective anyway.

He’s averaging 12/8/4 since everyone’s been healthy, you can’t replace those numbers with Boucher, like what lol ?

His stats are about to crash because he attempts will be lower then Precious the way Nurse coaches, terrible what they are doing to this kid

It's funny because Precious and Barnes attempts per 36 minutes are basically exactly the same.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,881

Post#1977 » by Los_29 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 12:32 am

Madhouse wrote:
Dude-niagara wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:

It's funny because Precious and Barnes attempts per 36 minutes are basically exactly the same.

What were Scottie's attempts in college?
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,668

Post#1978 » by dTox » Fri Jan 7, 2022 1:21 am

Los_29 wrote:
Madhouse wrote:

What were Scottie's attempts in college?
Does it matter? He's significantly better at every facet of his game than what he's shown in college. Scottie has shown to be an effective player with the higher volume attempts up until end of December
Devin Booker came off the bench in college as well

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
TBZ for the win
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,568

Post#1979 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Jan 7, 2022 1:39 am

Dalek wrote:The past couple games look like he has hit the rookie wall. The passing has been nice, but he hasn't been as aggressive. I wonder if him playing more C minutes has impacted his decline. It is physically taxing to play that position. It could also be that his conditioning has fallen off. Still don't understand how he got knee tendinitis when he couldn't practice during COVID - just weird.

Scottie’s been more than fine. He almost had a triple double previous game, if you think thats hitting rookie wall, dont know what you’re watching.

He’s had to adjust his game because theres less shots for him with all of trent og siakam and fred healthy. He’s the 5th option and making the best of it acting as a point 5 and then running some pg when fred goes out. Cant ask for much more… he made some silly mistakes last game but that happens.
srhcan
Starter
And1: 1,651

Post#1980 » by srhcan » Fri Jan 7, 2022 1:40 am

Dude-niagara wrote:
Madhouse wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

He is fine, only think wrong is Fred and Siakam are hogging shots, you think Fred or Siakam would look good with 6 shots a night?

This is a bad post. Fred and Siakam have worked hard from the ground up to reach the level they are at right now. Both have contributed massively for Raptors and were instrumental in Raptors championship. Siakam was Raptors 2nd or 3rd best player while Fred was the closer in Raptors championship. Both are still playing at pretty good level. Yet you want to punish them because the rookie is not taking more shots? Give me a break. Let the rookie earn the keys to this franchise. His time will come if he is as good as advertised.

Return to Toronto Raptors