ImageImageImageImageImage

Realistic upgrades at C?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Re: Realistic upgrades at C? 

Post#81 » by Dalek » Thu Nov 4, 2021 8:40 pm

I know people want to see the Precious thing through but I just think it is a long-term project.

If we want to be competitive and add some toughness and defense I really like Derrick Favors. About $19m left on his two years with a PO next season.

He used to be strictly a dunker spot C, but he is now shooting the jumper a bit more to where he has a mid-range game. He crushes dudes on screens and is a great offensive rebounder - to me he is a really good fit. Does he take Toronto to another level? Not sure, but he at the least a very solid back-up big that should raise the level of the post defense.

Maybe a deal for Boucher plus either Flynn or Achuiwa for Favors plus one of OKC's FRPs (maybe the 2022 ATL or Phoenix first).
HomieOmey
Head Coach
And1: 563

Post#82 » by HomieOmey » Thu Nov 4, 2021 8:41 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Trust the process.

This team isn't winning the title this year unless they add a top 10ish player so just develop and play the youth. No short cuts or temporary solutions.

While I 100% agree, we're also pretty much wasting Flynn/Dragic, probably won't have any room or opportunity for Yuta to find a role, and likely won't want to pay Boucher next season. For these three reasons, I think it's very important to find trades now that can lock in more appealing contracts that we can get more value out of. There's nothing wrong with improving our 8 man rotation while keeping us from having to spend MORE $$ next year. That being said, I'm in no rush to sell low on Yuta or Flynn, so have no problem if we do very little.
TurboZ
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,288

Post#83 » by Tripod » Thu Nov 4, 2021 8:42 pm

Just add in Dekker here for some minutes. Let him take the wear and tear on his body....and at least on offense he can space the floor and hit the 3.

Lol
OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#84 » by OhCanada1091 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 8:45 pm

Develop Achiuwa. There really arent many players in the league that can do what we need our Center to do. Myles Turrner but hes injury prone and probably way too expensive. Poeltl isnt going anywhere. Wood is fools gold, gets his numbers but couldnt make winning teams rotations. Horford would fit but Boston wants him and they arent gonna trade him to us and make us better even if they lose a ton of games.

Achiuwa's the guy. He always was. He's Masai's chosen prospect and he will develop into our irreplaceable Center. He was amazing in preseason, just needs to relax a bit. Seems like he wants to do everything at once. He's stopped reading the floor and is thinking about what he wants to do instead of reacting to whats happening.

Give it time. 6-3, Barnes looks like a roy candidate, Anunoby MIP, then OG, VV and Trent look like All Defensive candidates and Pascal's returning in 10 days. Everything has been happening so fast, we can wait a bit for Precious.
Wannabe MEP
Analyst
And1: 1,786

Post#85 » by Wannabe MEP » Thu Nov 4, 2021 9:00 pm

I'm 90% do nothing, and 10%: wait...would the Pacers consider something like a Dragic+Precious+pick package for Turner??
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#86 » by Asif16 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 9:20 pm

Myles Turner has been on the trade block for over 20 years now.

At this rate, I expect him to retire a Pacer
Asif16
RealGM

Post#87 » by Asif16 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 9:22 pm

I was all for developing Achiwa but the man's basketball abilities so far have been atrocious. The man has no Brain to match his body.

I hope I'm proven wrong but I'm not hopeful for Precious as much as I was in Pre-season. He severely lacks IQ
Asif16
RealGM

Post#88 » by Asif16 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 9:23 pm

Los Soles wrote:I'm 90% do nothing, and 10%: wait...would the Pacers consider something like a Dragic+Precious+pick package for Turner??

At this rate, Keep playing and Developing Precious into a viable enough trade target for a Bigger fish. Because he's still young and people will jump on it
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#89 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Nov 4, 2021 10:08 pm

Our center rotation is terrible but we're not contending this year anyways so we might as well develop Precious. We can also play Siakam at center when he gets back.
Mattatron
Starter
And1: 1,665

Post#90 » by Mattatron » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:08 pm

Daniel Theis anyone? Good vet, can shoot the ball, defend on a nice contract.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,508

Post#91 » by SFour » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:13 pm

All I know is that Dragic needs to be traded for a big
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#92 » by Dalek » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:17 pm

Klaw22 wrote:Daniel Theis anyone? Good vet, can shoot the ball, defend on a nice contract.

Theis is a decent player but hard to believe that Houston would dump him just after signing him. Trading him means they are ready to jump head-on into a Wood / Sengun frontcourt which is a huge question mark.

I do note that he has a 15% trade kicker so he is over $10m a season at 30 years-old.
SunBoy
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#93 » by SunBoy » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:25 pm

Hero_Panda wrote:
SunBoy wrote:This is all about hypothetical - if the raps are seeded 1-3 at the end of the year you're not taking this version of Precious as your starting C into the playoffs. If we fizzle into mediocrity you stay the course and continue development of your young players.

I like the idea of wily vet like Theis that can shoot 3s, while I love me some JV, I don't want him anywhere close to this defence way too slow. Myles Turner is the ideal fit, but what does he cost is the question...

If the raps are seeded 1-3 at the end of the year, wouldn't Precious play a big role in that?

Possibly! Is he having a big part of their success right now? Again please note the hypothetical's included in the OP and this..
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,512

Post#94 » by S.W.A.N » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:49 pm

Scottie Barnes is going to be getting mins there soon.

Birch is our short term minutes eater. PRecious will learn and grow. Wouldn't hurt to find an athletic/smart/mobile 7' dude to groom, but those don't grow on trees so no need to panac...
We the North
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,621

Post#95 » by Bruin » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:58 pm

Greg Monroe

/s
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#96 » by hyper316 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 12:00 am

If pacers continue to struggle, I see them off loading turner
SunBoy
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#97 » by SunBoy » Fri Nov 5, 2021 2:51 am

Also to those saying stick with Precious for the playoff run...

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1456312788129751064%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2134998start%3D340
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,611

Post#98 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Nov 5, 2021 3:03 am

I can see developing Precious more, sure. But even if he improves, he is still undersized. So is Birch for that matter. I think we need one 6'11 or 7 footer. Not a stiff of course, but either:

- a defensive rebounder and rim protector, who can also finish from the dunker spot. A poor man's Capela, whoever it might be

or

- a big who can shoot, space the floor, and pass from outside to cutters too. A Marc Gasol lite. Kelly Olynyk would be perfect. We should have gone after him in the summer, but there's still some deadline which a new free agent can be traded after, right? And, Canadian.

I know the league is changing, and we have all these long wingspan guys, blah blah. But every team still has a 7 footer or more. We need one too, to pair with Birch in a center duo.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
ThatClockWork
Veteran
And1: 1,856

Post#99 » by ThatClockWork » Fri Nov 5, 2021 3:07 am

TheBoi10 wrote:
ThatClockWork wrote:Getting KAT would involve too many assets.
Stand firm for now and evaluate.

KAT just liked this tweet too :)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Barack Obama wrote:You can’t lose heart, or grow cynical if there are twists and turns on your journey. The cynics may be the loudest voices — but I promise you, they will accomplish the least.
Gold Dragon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,582

Post#100 » by Gold Dragon » Fri Nov 5, 2021 3:11 am

WaltFrazier wrote:I can see developing Precious more, sure. But even if he improves, he is still undersized. So is Birch for that matter. I think we need one 6'11 or 7 footer. Not a stiff of course, but either:

- a defensive rebounder and rim protector, who can also finish from the dunker spot. A poor man's Capela, whoever it might be

or

- a big who can shoot, space the floor, and pass from outside to cutters too. A Marc Gasol lite. Kelly Olynyk would be perfect. We should have gone after him in the summer, but there's still some deadline which a new free agent can be traded after, right? And, Canadian.

I know the league is changing, and we have all these long wingspan guys, blah blah. But every team still has a 7 footer or more. We need one too, to pair with Birch in a center duo.

I would say Masai didn’t achieve what he has so far for the Raptors by following consensus and doing what other teams do.

Return to Toronto Raptors