ImageImageImageImageImage

Importance of acquiring a 7 footer

Moderators: 7 Footer, Reeko, lebron stopper, Morris_Shatford, DG88, niQ, gojoorange

User avatar
Hansari
Pro Prospect
Posts: 946
And1: 705
Joined: Oct 11, 2012

Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#1 » by Hansari » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:22 pm

I understand the vision we have with this team - long, athletic, switchable. I also see that a regular 7ft starting C does not fit into the gameplan the coaches construct for most teams we will face.

Still, yesterday’s game - along with a few other matchups so far have proven that at the very least you still need a dependable 7 footer on the bench who you can insert based on matchup and in-game situation.

Cavs are a very tall team and having attended the game in person, I saw first hand that all of our long 6’ 9” players were out-muscled and out-wingspanned by the mobile, strong 7 footers that were on the court.

Even Scottie, who has been dominant so far in the season was neutralized by length he was up against at the rim every time he drove - notably his scoring spurt came when Mobley/Allen subbed out.

All of this is to say that having a 7 footer whose number your coach can call on as needed based on matchup is still very important in this league. I like the direction we are headed in but we can’t have tunnel vision and remain ignorant to the reality that having a dependable big on your roster is going to be an advantage certain nights.

Question remains, how can we acquire a big to add to our team? Gasol or someone similar on our bench would make a lot of sense for us.
Image
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 33,513
And1: 33,702
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#2 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:23 pm

No. I will not go back to a different century

And their height means nothing. Standing reach is everything.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
Posts: 32,748
And1: 16,396
Joined: Apr 28, 2008

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#3 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:25 pm

We led for 47.55 seconds of the game :lol:
User avatar
Hansari
Pro Prospect
Posts: 946
And1: 705
Joined: Oct 11, 2012

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#4 » by Hansari » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:27 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:No. I will not go back to a different century

And their height means nothing. Standing reach is everything.


Reach is everything, but a 7 footer with a 7’ 5” - 7’ 6” wingspan poses a challenge for our 6’ 9 guys with 7’ 2” - 7’ 3” wingspan. See yesterday’s game
Image
Madhouse
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,117
And1: 4,019
Joined: Dec 23, 2014
 

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#5 » by Madhouse » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:27 pm

just wait and see how we look with a full lineup. It's very much wait and see mode what we need going forward.
User avatar
ash_k
RealGM
Posts: 12,930
And1: 7,152
Joined: Apr 14, 2010
         

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#6 » by ash_k » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:30 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:We led for 47.55 seconds of the game :lol:

and outrebounded them 19 OREB(44) vs 11 OREB(39)..but I get the poster, we need more meat/size down low for some situations.
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
alienchild
General Manager
Posts: 8,530
And1: 14,628
Joined: Jan 05, 2012

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#7 » by alienchild » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:34 pm

Do we have to forfeit the 2 wins against the Pacer's and Turner/Sabonis. And the Knick's with Mitchell Robinson?
User avatar
PhilBlackson
RealGM
Posts: 21,697
And1: 34,772
Joined: May 02, 2017
Location: No Wastemans Land
     

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#8 » by PhilBlackson » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:39 pm

Just wish we could've gotten Moses Brown for Goran but since we've all but killed his trade value lol not sure how we're gonna go about finding a half decent one to mold and develop like Brown which would've been enticing.
>>>SCOTTIE2HOTTIE<<< Ya Boi Scottie & Gua Gang -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar:
Image TANK4JABARI
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
Posts: 12,610
And1: 9,085
Joined: Apr 09, 2008

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#9 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:41 pm

Like someone says raps literally led for the entirety of the game sans 5 seconds at the end. It is a need but not an emergent one. Whoever we acquire has to be able to rotate out to the perimeter to defend.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
User avatar
TheRealDeal
RealGM
Posts: 10,751
And1: 10,845
Joined: Nov 17, 2004
 

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#10 » by TheRealDeal » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:43 pm

It’s pretty evident if you play 2K. It’s not just about height, more of a big body thing. Teams that throw two bigs out there, even bad ones like the Rockets with Wood/Theis always seem to find a way to take advantage of us in the paint

The Towns & Embiid types just straight up dominate. I still prefer the current lineup but we could definitely use a break glass in case of emergency type of big
Yeezus_
General Manager
Posts: 9,496
And1: 12,287
Joined: Feb 18, 2009
Location: Toronto
     

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#11 » by Yeezus_ » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:50 pm

TheRealDeal wrote:It’s pretty evident if you play 2K. It’s not just about height, more of a big body thing. Teams that throw two bigs out there, even bad ones like the Rockets with Wood/Theis always seem to find a way to take advantage of us in the paint

The Towns & Embiid types just straight up dominate. I still prefer the current lineup but we could definitely use a break glass in case of emergency type of big

Towns and Embiid are two of the best players in the league, they generally dominate everyone. When we had Marc Gaosl that was an outlier case.
Yeezy SZN approaching
Rodrickle
Sophomore
Posts: 240
And1: 145
Joined: Mar 16, 2021

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#12 » by Rodrickle » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:00 pm

We can easily get by without a 7 footer. We lead the whole game aside from the last few seconds. I bet we'll dominate the cavs next time round. We simply could have cleaned up some minor things (shot selection, a few less gambles for steals, getting the ball out of Garlands hands etc) along with a few bad calls that didnt go our way, and we're probably talking about a double digit win.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
dacrusha
RealGM
Posts: 12,383
And1: 4,895
Joined: Dec 11, 2003
Location: Waiting for Jesse Ventura to show up...
       

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#13 » by dacrusha » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:11 pm

Yeah, let’s bring back Alex Len - that experiment worked out just fine last year.

But seriously, Cavs win yesterday was a fluke… you don’t change your vision and roster construction based on a fluke loss.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
GLF
Junior
Posts: 259
And1: 321
Joined: Sep 03, 2018
 

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#14 » by GLF » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:12 pm

I'm not saying no to a 7 footer if we can get a good player without giving up too much but I'm not going to let this one game have me crying about not having that player either. Most teams don't have multiple guys as long as Cleveland does. Most teams just have the C being that tall and we've beat those teams. We've also beat Indiana twice who has two tall C's playing together. We outrebounded them so it really wasn't that serious. We just didn't play the greatest defence at the end, took some bad shots and didn't get calls. And yes their length hurt us in terms of finishing in the paint but having a 7 footer on our team wouldn't have changed that. Idunno I'm still not THAT worried about us not having a 7 footer.
User avatar
WaltFrazier
General Manager
Posts: 8,444
And1: 7,327
Joined: Jan 21, 2006
Location: Ontario
       

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#15 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:17 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:
TheRealDeal wrote:It’s pretty evident if you play 2K. It’s not just about height, more of a big body thing. Teams that throw two bigs out there, even bad ones like the Rockets with Wood/Theis always seem to find a way to take advantage of us in the paint

The Towns & Embiid types just straight up dominate. I still prefer the current lineup but we could definitely use a break glass in case of emergency type of big

Towns and Embiid are two of the best players in the league, they generally dominate everyone. When we had Marc Gaosl that was an outlier case.


Not sure what it means to say Gasol was an outlier, but we could definitely use a guy like him just for short stretches of defense. I keep thinking Kelly Olynyk would have been a good kind of Gasol-lite for us. Big body, can shoot and play at the top where Marc played. And still big enough to body up with opposing C's in the paint on D.

I don't want to trade one of our best 8 for a star C. But instead of Precious, how great would it be to have Birch and a guy equal to Birch only he's 7'0. Not an expensive star C but jus a bigger Birch type. I don't know who that would be but there must be one who's a realistic get.
GLF
Junior
Posts: 259
And1: 321
Joined: Sep 03, 2018
 

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#16 » by GLF » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:18 pm

dacrusha wrote:Yeah, let’s bring back Alex Len - that experiment worked out just fine last year.

But seriously, Cavs win yesterday was a fluke… you don’t change your vision and roster construction based on a fluke loss.



This is it right here. We had a 7 footer or almost 7 footer in both Len and Baynes and that didn't do ****. Those of the level of players we would realistically be able to get at this point. There aren't many really good 7 footers out there right now. I keep saying this. If we put in a Alex Len level player last night just to match up with Allen and Mobley I promise you we lose by like 5-10 lol. Y'all keep talking about this 7 footer but can never give any realistic options. And the options y'all give are worse players than both Precious and Khem so I don't get it lol.
GLF
Junior
Posts: 259
And1: 321
Joined: Sep 03, 2018
 

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#17 » by GLF » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:22 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:
TheRealDeal wrote:It’s pretty evident if you play 2K. It’s not just about height, more of a big body thing. Teams that throw two bigs out there, even bad ones like the Rockets with Wood/Theis always seem to find a way to take advantage of us in the paint

The Towns & Embiid types just straight up dominate. I still prefer the current lineup but we could definitely use a break glass in case of emergency type of big

Towns and Embiid are two of the best players in the league, they generally dominate everyone. When we had Marc Gaosl that was an outlier case.


Not sure what it means to say Gasol was an outlier, but we could definitely use a guy like him just for short stretches of defense. I keep thinking Kelly Olynyk would have been a good kind of Gasol-lite for us. Big body, can shoot and play at the top where Marc played. And still big enough to body up with opposing C's in the paint on D.

I don't want to trade one of our best 8 for a star C. But instead of Precious, how great would it be to have Birch and a guy equal to Birch only he's 7'0. Not an expensive star C but jus a bigger Birch type. I don't know who that would be but there must be one who's a realistic get.



That would be great of course but who is this guy that's 7 feet that's equal to Birch? Also Precious is one of it not our best rebounders % wise. And lol if you think Kelly Olynyk is anywhere close to the defender Marc was. Marc was an outlier case because he was an ELITE defender. Even when he was with us. Those types of big don't grow on trees. But most people wouldn't understand that because they took Marc for granted. We don't win that championship without Marc's defence.
kj_
Starter
Posts: 2,481
And1: 2,424
Joined: Feb 06, 2013

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#18 » by kj_ » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:24 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Just wish we could've gotten Moses Brown for Goran but since we've all but killed his trade value lol not sure how we're gonna go about finding a half decent one to mold and develop like Brown which would've been enticing.

Killed? Killing would be playing him and he gets injured.

Preserving his trade value is what’s happening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JN
RealGM
Posts: 14,487
And1: 6,273
Joined: Feb 02, 2007
   

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#19 » by JN » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:28 pm

Thankfully NBA Management teams typically wait 20 games to assess its strengths / weaknesses and needs.
User avatar
WaltFrazier
General Manager
Posts: 8,444
And1: 7,327
Joined: Jan 21, 2006
Location: Ontario
       

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#20 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:29 pm

GLF wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:Towns and Embiid are two of the best players in the league, they generally dominate everyone. When we had Marc Gaosl that was an outlier case.


Not sure what it means to say Gasol was an outlier, but we could definitely use a guy like him just for short stretches of defense. I keep thinking Kelly Olynyk would have been a good kind of Gasol-lite for us. Big body, can shoot and play at the top where Marc played. And still big enough to body up with opposing C's in the paint on D.

I don't want to trade one of our best 8 for a star C. But instead of Precious, how great would it be to have Birch and a guy equal to Birch only he's 7'0. Not an expensive star C but jus a bigger Birch type. I don't know who that would be but there must be one who's a realistic get.



That would be great of course but who is this guy that's 7 feet that's equal to Birch? Also Precious is one of it not our best rebounders % wise. And lol if you think Kelly Olynyk is anywhere close to the defender Marc was. Marc was an outlier case because he was an ELITE defender. Even when he was with us. Those types of big don't grow on trees. But most people wouldn't understand that because they took Marc for granted. We don't win that championship without Marc's defence.


I know how good Marc was on D. I was thinking more on offense Kelly would be a reasonable facsimile. I know he couldn't guard Embiid and Vuc like Gasol could.

Is it really that hard to get a taller Birch type? Just a worker like that to rebound, defend, box out. Even if we just had 2 Birches, same size, it would be better than Precious as of now. Precious's time is down the road after some development, but even when he improves he won't be any taller.

Return to Toronto Raptors