ImageImageImageImageImage

Importance of acquiring a 7 footer

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,792

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#221 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Dec 4, 2021 5:54 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:Cleveland is the trend setter, not us. To say they will eventually move Allen makes no sense, I think they are committed to their 2 bigs lineup. They are winning, it's not like teams are picking them apart by exploiting them by going at Markennen or anyone else. They have a great team defense still coming together.

Meanwhile, as Birch sits out more and more games, our crying need for even one big rebounder grows. We're not getting Kanter Freedom, but say we had a 3rd C like him vs the Bucks, we wouldn't have been losing those rebounds off missed free throws. Those are only a couple of plays, I know, but generally we are getting hurt but big offensive rebounder opponents, and lacking rim protection of our own at the other end.

There's no trend setting here. Houston did this in the 90's with Sampson and Olajuwon. SAS with Robinson and Duncan.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#222 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Dec 4, 2021 5:56 pm

Hipsters, nowadays.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,741

Post#223 » by VanWest82 » Sat Dec 4, 2021 6:01 pm

You guys aren't thinking tall enough. We need an 8 footer. Standing dunks. Blocks where we just catch the ball and stare down very meanly. We'd likely only have him for a year or two due to pituitary gland issues but at least we'd have importance dammit.
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,766

Post#224 » by TrustFundBaby » Sat Dec 4, 2021 6:44 pm

People need patience for Achiuwa. He has been great defensively, it's his offensive game that's a wreck. He is a raw project, just a sophomore. I'm not ready to advocate going out and getting a big C, unless it's the legendary Valanciunas, but in all seriousness, Achiuwa needs time.

The real issue is what to do when OG gets back. Personally I'd move GTJ to the bench
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#225 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Dec 4, 2021 6:50 pm

His career shooting % is like 50 which isn't bad. He's only been really bad here. I don't know why that is, but if we could just get his rookie year offence back, that would be much better.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,766

Post#226 » by TrustFundBaby » Sat Dec 4, 2021 6:55 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:His career shooting % is like 50 which isn't bad. He's only been really bad here. I don't know why that is, but if we could just get his rookie year offence back, that would be much better.

I didn't watch him in MIA but a quick glance at his stats tells me he never shot the 3 and in general is playing more/shooting more

I'll take a guess his offensive freedom has been increased here in TOR. I bet a big part of his finishing struggles come from his fast breaks attempts when he tries to go coast to coast.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,099

Post#227 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Dec 4, 2021 8:30 pm

TrustFundBaby wrote:People need patience for Achiuwa. He has been great defensively, it's his offensive game that's a wreck. He is a raw project, just a sophomore. I'm not ready to advocate going out and getting a big C, unless it's the legendary Valanciunas, but in all seriousness, Achiuwa needs time.

The real issue is what to do when OG gets back. Personally I'd move GTJ to the bench

His inconsistency is maddening, but it's also cause for hope. If 3rd quarter of the first Grizzlies game is actually a thing, then we have something special. The fact that he can manifest God-mode sometimes means it's in there somewhere, always struggling to get out.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#228 » by Indeed » Sun Dec 5, 2021 3:31 am

TrustFundBaby wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:His career shooting % is like 50 which isn't bad. He's only been really bad here. I don't know why that is, but if we could just get his rookie year offence back, that would be much better.

I didn't watch him in MIA but a quick glance at his stats tells me he never shot the 3 and in general is playing more/shooting more

I'll take a guess his offensive freedom has been increased here in TOR. I bet a big part of his finishing struggles come from his fast breaks attempts when he tries to go coast to coast.

His finishing struggles seem to be against length

I skipped shot distance = 0, since his FG% is 60%+, while distance = 1 drops below 55%, and distance = 2 drops below 40%:
F22_Raptor
Sixth Man
And1: 3,499

Post#229 » by F22_Raptor » Sun Dec 5, 2021 4:38 am

FluLikeSymptoms wrote:Do you know the importance of a skypager?

Conceptually, a pager is so complex
'Cause I be standing by the phone ready to flex
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Post#230 » by Reeko » Sun Dec 5, 2021 4:38 am

TrustFundBaby wrote:People need patience for Achiuwa. He has been great defensively, it's his offensive game that's a wreck. He is a raw project, just a sophomore. I'm not ready to advocate going out and getting a big C, unless it's the legendary Valanciunas, but in all seriousness, Achiuwa needs time.

Agreed. However, I don't think that's going to happen. At a certain point these kinds of decisions are made based on contract politics and I don't think GTJ (or Rich Paul) would be very happy coming off the bench, especially since he's on a fairly short contract and a move to the bench could significantly depress his perceived market value.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
_MidNight_
RealGM
And1: 7,269

Post#231 » by _MidNight_ » Sun Dec 5, 2021 5:44 am

I still don't think this team really needs a 7 footer as a starter if everyone is healthy.

A lineup of Fred, OG, Barnes, Pascal and Precious/Birch is a massively big lineup to deal with.

I would however like to have an athletic 7 footer who's able to shoot the 3 and defend in the pipeline though.
A third string role would be perfect for such a player until he's ready.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#232 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 11:34 am

_MidNight_ wrote:I still don't think this team really needs a 7 footer as a starter if everyone is healthy.

A lineup of Fred, OG, Barnes, Pascal and Precious/Birch is a massively big lineup to deal with.

I would however like to have an athletic 7 footer who's able to shoot the 3 and defend in the pipeline though.

We are 10th in the lotto right now. Pretty sure we could get JV back and screw up one more lotto offseason. Do we want to be at-best first or second round sparring partner or get another starter in the age 20 bracket? Or trade the lotto pick in a package??? I bet Bobby wants the pick. Seven footer is NOT a priority. I am the biggest of Fred fans and am not really fearful about wasting his prime. Ditto Spicy P.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,635

Post#233 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Dec 6, 2021 3:47 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Cleveland is the trend setter, not us. To say they will eventually move Allen makes no sense, I think they are committed to their 2 bigs lineup. They are winning, it's not like teams are picking them apart by exploiting them by going at Markennen or anyone else. They have a great team defense still coming together.

Meanwhile, as Birch sits out more and more games, our crying need for even one big rebounder grows. We're not getting Kanter Freedom, but say we had a 3rd C like him vs the Bucks, we wouldn't have been losing those rebounds off missed free throws. Those are only a couple of plays, I know, but generally we are getting hurt but big offensive rebounder opponents, and lacking rim protection of our own at the other end.

There's no trend setting here. Houston did this in the 90's with Sampson and Olajuwon. SAS with Robinson and Duncan.

Trend reviver then
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,792

Post#234 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Dec 6, 2021 6:05 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Trend reviver then

Same circumstances. All three teams had a good centre and then drafted a star centre at the top of the lottery. I guess Houston was the 80's now that I think about it. Neither did it very long.

Still, they will just end up moving Allen. You can bookmark it.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#235 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Dec 6, 2021 2:19 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Trend reviver then

Same circumstances. All three teams had a good centre and then drafted a star centre at the top of the lottery. I guess Houston was the 80's now that I think about it. Neither did it very long.

Still, they will just end up moving Allen. You can bookmark it.

Yes Houston was in the 80s, they had Sampson for a year then drafted Hakeem first overall in 84, ahead of MJ. They did get to the 86 Finals with those twin towers but then Ralph kind of went downhill and they traded him. In the Rockets' back to back titles in the 90s they had Hakeem with big power forward Otis Thorpe, who would be a center now, in their first title team then traded Thorpe for Clyde Drexler and won a second time.

I's never say never, but I can't see the Cavs moving Allen anytime soon. He and Mobley are both mobile and great on D. I'd say that will be their identity going forward, those two playing together.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#236 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Dec 6, 2021 2:24 pm

double post pls delete
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#237 » by Indeed » Mon Dec 6, 2021 5:08 pm

_MidNight_ wrote:I still don't think this team really needs a 7 footer as a starter if everyone is healthy.

As if we are playing a big long SG you mentioned, so far we don't have that lineup except with Banton.
And even so, we have different pieces and far from working well together (for example, still lack rim protection)

We are also relying on posting up, where Memphis game showed us that team can simply go bigger to prevent us from scoring in the paint.

I think we might able to get away with a rim protection with better 3 point shooting and rebounding, but I think some improvement and changes maybe needed.

Return to Toronto Raptors