ImageImageImageImageImage

Importance of acquiring a 7 footer

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

GLF
Junior
And1: 393

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#61 » by GLF » Sun Nov 7, 2021 2:21 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
GLF wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Right like the 2019 lineup with a superstar wing, great pg, athletes and shooters, and 2 big centers. That was like a return to a traditional roster after the innovation of GW.

It's not about being a trend setter, it's about building a talented roster that can win.

And we are doing that. So I don't get your point lol. We aren't contenders this season so I'm confused as to what y'all are going on about. We've been winning without our best player and a key bench player. We are a good rebounding team and defensive team without a big C. I don't know what more y'all want. We need a guy who can get buckets in one on one matchups and in ISO situations (a closer) way more than we need a traditional C

My obvious point is we'd be even better with an upgrade to Achiuwa at the C spot. A closer sure, that too, but I think we have to see what Pascal, OG and Scottie do as a trio to share closing duties.

And while we aren't quite contenders this season, but are well ahead of schedule mainly because of Barnes but also Gary, Svi, OG's improvement. Young stars in their prime like Fred OG and Pascal, all with a ring and playoff experience, shouldn't have to wait another year or more for building and developing. We may be a playoff team and are certainly one player away from a very good playoff team - with the right acquisition.

Lmao if you think some bench traditional C (whoever that is) is gonna take us from a middling playoff team to a good one you are very mistaken. And you keep brining up Precious. Precious has only been bad on offence. Defensively he's been good and he's our best rebounder % wise. There aren't many realistically available traditional C's rebounding AND playing better defence than Precious. Maybe one of the two but not both. And again blocking a shot here and there doesn't make you a good defender.
GLF
Junior

Post#62 » by GLF » Sun Nov 7, 2021 2:25 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
GLF wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Right like the 2019 lineup with a superstar wing, great pg, athletes and shooters, and 2 big centers. That was like a return to a traditional roster after the innovation of GW.

It's not about being a trend setter, it's about building a talented roster that can win.

And we are doing that. So I don't get your point lol. We aren't contenders this season so I'm confused as to what y'all are going on about. We've been winning without our best player and a key bench player. We are a good rebounding team and defensive team without a big C. I don't know what more y'all want. We need a guy who can get buckets in one on one matchups and in ISO situations (a closer) way more than we need a traditional C

My obvious point is we'd be even better with an upgrade to Achiuwa at the C spot. A closer sure, that too, but I think we have to see what Pascal, OG and Scottie do as a trio to share closing duties.

And while we aren't quite contenders this season, but are well ahead of schedule mainly because of Barnes but also Gary, Svi, OG's improvement. Young stars in their prime like Fred OG and Pascal, all with a ring and playoff experience, shouldn't have to wait another year or more for building and developing. We may be a playoff team and are certainly one player away from a very good playoff team - with the right acquisition.

And duh of course if we had a big who was better than Precious we would be a better team lol. You're not saying anything special. That's like saying if we had a player better than Pascal we would be a better team. Yea duh! But who is this player? Who is realistically available? And what is the reason you're so adament about this. No stat has shown we are in desperate need of this player lol. It's a nice to have thing and I'm not saying no to a GOOD 7 footer but I'm not crying about it either because we've been just fine without one and there are no realistic options right now
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,615

Post#63 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Nov 7, 2021 2:25 am

Birch is better, much more reliable, at both ends. Another C as good as Birch, hopefully taller, would be a huge upgrade over Precious. Achiuwa needs some 905 time and then be our 3rd C, which is still important. While he develops.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#64 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Nov 7, 2021 2:27 am

GLF wrote:
And duh of course if we had a big who was better than Precious we would be a better team lol. You're not saying anything special. That's like saying if we had a player better than Pascal we would be a better team. Yea duh! But who is this player? Who is realistically available? And what is the reason you're so adament about this. No stat has shown we are in desperate need of this player lol. It's a nice to have thing and I'm not saying no to a GOOD 7 footer but I'm not crying about it either because we've been just fine without one and there are no realistic options right now

Getting a C at least as good as Birch should be a lot easier than getting a player better than Pascal. That's a foolish analogy.
GLF
Junior

Post#65 » by GLF » Sun Nov 7, 2021 2:44 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
GLF wrote:

Getting a C at least as good as Birch should be a lot easier than getting a player better than Pascal. That's a foolish analogy.

You are right, it wasn't the greatest analogy. I was just trying to make the point that yes getting better players at any position will make you a better team. And that's for any team. We all know this. I just don't think the need you have for a traditional C is as important as you think it is. Based off the eye test and the stats. And it is 100% easier to get a traditional C than it is to get a better player than Pascal because a better player than Pascal is a superstar. But to get a GOOD traditional C that's better than Birch isn't as easy as you think. You can't even name one that we can get realistically without giving up too much, so clearly it's not that easy.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,772

Post#66 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Nov 7, 2021 5:16 am

MixxSRC wrote:anybody got any names? why are we just throwing "7 footer" like it means anything? Just being tall is not enough. Is he going to be in good pick and roll defense, can he run back for transition.. defense, can he quickly rotate on defense?

If you look at Ufa centres those are likely to be traded from losing teams there’s not a lots. Robin Lopez?
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#67 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sun Nov 7, 2021 5:51 am

Most teams don't have centers, let's be real.. If you look at the matchups we have this week coming up only the 76ers are a threat down low. You only need a big man to match up like Birch for a few teams tbh.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#68 » by Kurtz » Sun Nov 7, 2021 5:55 am

Did Leo Rautins start this thread?
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,582

Post#69 » by NeoDragonKnight » Sun Nov 7, 2021 6:11 am

Not really big on getting a 7 footer per say, but rather someone strong enough to body and battle opposing bigger centers just to cover all our weaknesses particularly in the playoffs. Having someone on the bench would be reassuring in a match up perspective. Watching Drummond easily work on the inside against us was pretty painful to watch. Maybe Birch is up to the task, not sure, he played really well last game.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,004

Post#70 » by DelAbbot » Sun Nov 7, 2021 7:42 am

If good 7ft centers are not important to winning Masai wouldn't have bothered trading JV for Gasol. And we saw how instrumental Gasol was in beating Giannis and getting our championship.
PT416
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,243

Post#71 » by PT416 » Sun Nov 7, 2021 8:12 am

Man all we need is Gasol back for Embiid purposes. He was shutting down Jokic last year. Someone like that on a bargain is all we need. Nurse will have the balls to literally plug him in the starting lineup for matchups like that too.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#72 » by MixxSRC » Sun Nov 7, 2021 3:07 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
MixxSRC wrote:anybody got any names? why are we just throwing "7 footer" like it means anything? Just being tall is not enough. Is he going to be in good pick and roll defense, can he run back for transition.. defense, can he quickly rotate on defense?

If you look at Ufa centres those are likely to be traded from losing teams there’s not a lots. Robin Lopez?

What people are describing is basically 2019 Gasol. But that's the problem Gasol is not that player anymore and I don't think there's a player who can stop Embiid and be great defensively AND on top of that be ok to come off the bench once in a blue moon. People are describing a unicorn.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,231

Post#73 » by Mehar » Sun Nov 7, 2021 4:06 pm

Precious is 6 feet 7.5 inches without shoes, and around 220-225 pounds. He is best suited at PF. Birch is 6 feet 7.75 inches without shoes also. Both are undersized Centers. This team could use another 7 footer. However, it has to be a good 7 footer that would fit with this team.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,772

Post#74 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Nov 7, 2021 4:20 pm

[code][/code]
MixxSRC wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

What people are describing is basically 2019 Gasol. But that's the problem Gasol is not that player anymore and I don't think there's a player who can stop Embiid and be great defensively AND on top of that be ok to come off the bench once in a blue moon. People are describing a unicorn.

It amazes me that people would still take size over speed even thought the nba is clearly moving away from it for very clear reasons. Because yeah…a centre with both is not for trade or not available almost ever.
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,211

Post#75 » by QingJames » Sun Nov 7, 2021 4:28 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Just wish we could've gotten Moses Brown for Goran but since we've all but killed his trade value lol not sure how we're gonna go about finding a half decent one to mold and develop like Brown which would've been enticing.

Brown is really bad and doesn’t know how to play basketball. Don’t get people’s obsession with him, he’s just a meme like Tacko. There’s basically no path for Brown to become a positive defensive player and he sure as hell isn’t offsetting that on offense.
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#76 » by Psubs » Sun Nov 7, 2021 4:32 pm

Scottie Barnes on Emibiid! :D
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#77 » by dacrusha » Sun Nov 7, 2021 4:57 pm

DelAbbot wrote:If good 7ft centers are not important to winning Masai wouldn't have bothered trading JV for Gasol. And we saw how instrumental Gasol was in beating Giannis and getting our championship.

Wait a minute - that trade wasn’t made to acquire a 7-footer; in fact, we traded away a 7-footer in the same transaction. Check that - both players are listed as 6’11”, so not even true 7-footers. 8-)

Anyway, that trade was made to get a defensive first, positionally sound playmaker that gets us to the next level.

Gasol being near 7-foot is just a small bonus and not critical to the rationale behind making the move.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#78 » by Indeed » Sun Nov 7, 2021 5:07 pm

dacrusha wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:If good 7ft centers are not important to winning Masai wouldn't have bothered trading JV for Gasol. And we saw how instrumental Gasol was in beating Giannis and getting our championship.

Wait a minute - that trade wasn’t made to acquire a 7-footer; in fact, we traded away a 7-footer in the same transaction. Check that - both players are listed as 6’11”, so not even true 7-footers. 8-)

Anyway, that trade was made to get a defensive first, positionally sound playmaker that gets us to the next level.

Gasol being near 7-foot is just a small bonus and not critical to the rationale behind making the move.

I don't think it is coincident that the rationale behind making the move isn't a near 7-foot, as by far more than half of DPoY are C (http://www.espn.com/nba/history/awards/_/id/39)

Meanwhile, from my perspective, we need a big C in exchange for another big C. Meaning we should acquire a young C, and by the time we need an upgrade, we got the asset to make it happen. I don't see teams will not want a player in the same role back.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#79 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Nov 7, 2021 5:17 pm

MixxSRC wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

You may be right about Marc, and he has gone home to Spain anyway. But just last year he was upset when Drummond came and his minutes were cut. So he isn't that far from being a player. I know it ain't gonna happen, but as a short minutes sub for us right now it would be great, and a feel good story to boot.

More realistically, would Dragic and Boucher and whatever filler get us Serge Ibaka? I'm not conversant with trade/salary fits and such. But Serge would be another feel good story coming home, and when healthy he'd really help. The tradeoff is his age I know, but for a year or 2 him and Birch would be a good pairing while Precious learns.

Would Clippers do it? 2 expirings and Kawhi is out this year anyway. And they're a team that can attract FA's.

But maybe there's some cap or contractual reason why it doesn't make sense, as I say I'm not big on those things. But basketball wise it's good imo.

edit - oh, and he's African too.
Kinger95
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,730

Post#80 » by Kinger95 » Sun Nov 7, 2021 6:48 pm

Need a top tier guy that can log major mins at the 5 for a few reasons.

1) smaller guys playing against bigger competition is a recipe to burn out/ increase injury likelihood.
2) most guys Don’t like to play a position where they give up size. If anything most guys consider themselves more skilled than they are and like to play where they have better size.
3) It’s your last line of defence and an elite defensive 5 can more than cover up mistakes from other positions

Return to Toronto Raptors