ImageImageImageImageImage

FVV on All The Smoke

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

maternal85
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Re: FVV on All The Smoke 

Post#21 » by maternal85 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:55 pm

KingSebastian wrote:
maternal85 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Man its real interesting that he knows the contract dollars weren't enough, but he was not about to risk generations of his family by playing hardball. Got to admit... I would just take it too.

That's his perspective. His contract is fine. Anything more would be an overpayment. Players are more aware of a Noel or Dennis situation now. The 80 million dollars is better than the 4 or so Dennis is currently making. Also he signed a 2 year 18 million dollar contract prior to his current contract. His generational wealth was already secured. Don't know what he's talking about.
18mil is far from generational wealth

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

How old are you ? Seriously? 18 MILLION in 2 years is far from generational wealth ???
maternal85
Sixth Man

Post#22 » by maternal85 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:01 pm

ImaBeatDatAzz wrote:
KingSebastian wrote:
maternal85 wrote:
That's his perspective. His contract is fine. Anything more would be an overpayment. Players are more aware of a Noel or Dennis situation now. The 80 million dollars is better than the 4 or so Dennis is currently making. Also he signed a 2 year 18 million dollar contract prior to his current contract. His generational wealth was already secured. Don't know what he's talking about.

Yeah, if u spend it like Floyd Mayweather… or all these rappers. bro 18m is good enough for a lifetime if ur smart. U can grow from that 18m. So I consider it generational wealth too.

These are lil we the north kids. Don't even get into with them. Fred also signed a 2 year 2.3 million dollar deal before his 2 years 18 million dollar deal. So he made over 20 million dollars in 4 years. If that isn't generational wealth, then what is ? We'd be lucky to make 3 million in 30 years. And that's if you're making 6 figures per year for those 30 years, which most people don't even make 6 figures per year. You're also guaranteed an NBA pension starting at 55 years old if you play 3 or more seasons in the league.

People are comical !
maternal85
Sixth Man

Post#23 » by maternal85 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:08 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
KingSebastian wrote:
maternal85 wrote:

Generational wealth doesn't have to mean one's grandchildren do not have to work. Having parents and/or grandparents, who can help out with college tuition and a down-payment on a house, is generational wealth.

That's us regular peoples definition of generational wealth. My daughter University tuition will be paid for (she has an RESP) and she'll inherit my house which will be paid off. But with 20 million in 4 years, none of my kids, grandkids, etc will be working. Forget any fancy investments. You could literally live off the interest of the net income you'd have after taxes from that 20 million.

I know Fred meant the generational wealth in context to his fellow NBA players. But these little we the north kids who actually thinks 20 million in 4 years isn't generational wealth. That's comical.
KingSebastian
Rookie
And1: 1,211

Post#24 » by KingSebastian » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:13 pm

maternal85 wrote:
ImaBeatDatAzz wrote:
KingSebastian wrote:18mil is far from generational wealth

Yeah, if u spend it like Floyd Mayweather… or all these rappers. bro 18m is good enough for a lifetime if ur smart. U can grow from that 18m. So I consider it generational wealth too.

These are lil we the north kids. Don't even get into with them. Fred also signed a 2 year 2.3 million dollar deal before his 2 years 18 million dollar deal. So he made over 20 million dollars in 4 years. If that isn't generational wealth, then what is ? We'd be lucky to make 3 million in 30 years. And that's if you're making 6 figures per year for those 30 years, which most people don't even make 6 figures per year. You're also guaranteed an NBA pension starting at 55 years old if you play 3 or more seasons in the league.

People are comical !
Money isn't finite...if you spend without a plan to make it work for you, it will disappear.

Fred called his latest deal of 85mil generational because he understands that.

He plans in doing big things for his family and his community....you need more than 18mil to sustain for generations

It's nice...and it's a lot of money. But that isn't generational.

yyzsportsjunky
Ballboy
And1: 18

Post#25 » by yyzsportsjunky » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:34 pm

bbalnation wrote:
Chandan wrote:ewww for going on that show.\
Sjax and Matt barnes are clowns

Uh? Versus what shows? Hearing the "professional" opinion of non athletes or people who haven't played at an NBA level? Their perspective goes beyond x's and o's (which they also objectively have more experience in), that's the point.

They may have their personal lives, past mistakes, attitudes, characteristics, etc. but who doesn't? I appreciate their candor personally. Calling anybody a clown as you hide behind your keyboard on an alias is questionable behavior at best.

Sjax has gone through a lot in the last couple years, and hes used his platform & trauma to drive positive social change for Black people (and people in general) in America.

Don't get me wrong. Non-NBA player analysts have a role too. But they've taken up far too much space, and recklessly, partly by insulting any player who tries to speak their minds. That's why I appreciate respectful analysts like Zach Lowe and William Lou, who bring insight, humor and a sense of collaboration with the people they're speaking with.

Caught this before. Thanks for sharing OP. Fred is a real one.

Umm..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexreimer/2020/07/08/stephen-jackson-sadly-doubles-down-on-anti-semitism-in-abhorrent-instagram-video/?sh=7e4aabe0152a
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 18,709

Post#26 » by DelAbbot » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:47 pm

maternal85 wrote:
KingSebastian wrote:
maternal85 wrote:

How old are you ? Seriously? 18 MILLION in 2 years is far from generational wealth ???
Give a virtual ruler for him to measure.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,743

Post#27 » by Los_29 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:12 am

KingSebastian wrote:
maternal85 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Man its real interesting that he knows the contract dollars weren't enough, but he was not about to risk generations of his family by playing hardball. Got to admit... I would just take it too.

What?????

You can put all of that 18 million in blue chip dividend stocks and collect $700k a year while never even touching the principle amount. Meanwhile, that principle amount will continue to get bigger and bigger every year. If people are smart that kind of money could last like hundreds of years. :lol:
bbalnation
Sixth Man
And1: 954

Post#28 » by bbalnation » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:28 am

yyzsportsjunky wrote:
bbalnation wrote:
Chandan wrote:ewww for going on that show.\
Sjax and Matt barnes are clowns

Uh? Versus what shows? Hearing the "professional" opinion of non athletes or people who haven't played at an NBA level? Their perspective goes beyond x's and o's (which they also objectively have more experience in), that's the point.

They may have their personal lives, past mistakes, attitudes, characteristics, etc. but who doesn't? I appreciate their candor personally. Calling anybody a clown as you hide behind your keyboard on an alias is questionable behavior at best.

Sjax has gone through a lot in the last couple years, and hes used his platform & trauma to drive positive social change for Black people (and people in general) in America.

Don't get me wrong. Non-NBA player analysts have a role too. But they've taken up far too much space, and recklessly, partly by insulting any player who tries to speak their minds. That's why I appreciate respectful analysts like Zach Lowe and William Lou, who bring insight, humor and a sense of collaboration with the people they're speaking with.

Caught this before. Thanks for sharing OP. Fred is a real one.

Umm..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexreimer/2020/07/08/stephen-jackson-sadly-doubles-down-on-anti-semitism-in-abhorrent-instagram-video/?sh=7e4aabe0152a

I dont understand, what are you posting? Read the paragraph above the one you bolded.

Then, read the article, and the apologies that Stephen gave. He had learning and unlearning to do, during a time when he was grieving a trauma that was publicized worldwide. I do not agree whatsoever with what he said. In an ideal world, it wouldn't be athletes, comedians, celebrities, etc speaking up against systems that have been created over generations to benefits certain classes of people and a gender more than others.

But alas, we're here. This is our reality (in my opinion, from the lens I see it, based off my knowledge, lived experiences, etc). Your view point of reality could be very different. And good for you. But you're an active advocate against people who are trying to make their bread, tell their story, and make some positive social impact.

But let's not get this twisted: using your platform for good can be exhausting and it takes strategy to execute well. And he isn't doing such a bad job. Look at the policy & advocacy progress he made with George Floyd, may he rest in peace.

I've given you all the energy I'd like. Good job with the "umm", then providing a link with 0 context though.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,743

Post#29 » by Los_29 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:39 am

maternal85 wrote:

$18m might seem like a lot but in today's NBA that's nothing. FVV is actually extremely underpaid and his contract along with OG's might be among the best contracts in the entire league.

Jerami Grant, Goran Dragic, Jarret Allen, Harrison Barnes, Lonzo Ball, Bojan Bogdanovich, Eric Gordon and Evan Fournier are all players making around what FVV is making. He's better than all of these guys, some of them by a wide margin.
maternal85
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by maternal85 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:33 am

KingSebastian wrote:
maternal85 wrote:
ImaBeatDatAzz wrote:Yeah, if u spend it like Floyd Mayweather… or all these rappers. bro 18m is good enough for a lifetime if ur smart. U can grow from that 18m. So I consider it generational wealth too.

People are comical !
Money isn't finite...if you spend without a plan to make it work for you, it will disappear.

Fred called his latest deal of 85mil generational because he understands that.

He plans in doing big things for his family and his community....you need more than 18mil to sustain for generations

It's nice...and it's a lot of money. But that isn't generational.

Spending without a plan is a different topic. Even that 85 million can disappear without a plan, so what's the difference? A walker lost over 150 million. The point is 20 million is more than enough to be generational.
maternal85
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by maternal85 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:36 am

Los_29 wrote:
KingSebastian wrote:
maternal85 wrote:

What?????

You can put all of that 18 million in blue chip dividend stocks and collect $700k a year while never even touching the principle amount. Meanwhile, that principle amount will continue to get bigger and bigger every year. If people are smart that kind of money could last like hundreds of years. :lol:

Exactly. I haven't even talked about real estate that can generate you income, while the equity and your net worth increases. People are funny here.
maternal85
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by maternal85 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:39 am

Los_29 wrote:
maternal85 wrote:

$18m might seem like a lot but in today's NBA that's nothing. FVV is actually extremely underpaid and his contract along with OG's might be among the best contracts in the entire league.

Jerami Grant, Goran Dragic, Jarret Allen, Harrison Barnes, Lonzo Ball, Bojan Bogdanovich, Eric Gordon and Evan Fournier are all players making around what FVV is making. He's better than all of these guys, some of them by a wide margin.

That's not how your value is calculated in the NBA. The teams market, their ability to attract free agents, etc, determines your value. We have to overpay because we can't attract good free agents. Whereas the Lakers may say hell no, that's an overpayment because they can attract a lebron James in free agency. It all depends. At the end of the day, what you sign on the line is your value at that specific time. If a team was offering Fred more money, he would have left period.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,474

Post#33 » by Spida888 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:47 am

Fred's contract is pretty good value. I was pretty anxious about his contract and OG's when they were up for renewal - afraid that we would overpay.

If he makes the all-star team in the next couple of years, it'd be interesting. He will opt out of his 3rd year making him pretty much an expiring next year.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,139

Post#34 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:59 am

RapsFan008 wrote:Fred's contract is pretty good value. I was pretty anxious about his contract and OG's when they were up for renewal - afraid that we would overpay.

If he makes the all-star team in the next couple of years, it'd be interesting. He will opt out of his 3rd year making him pretty much an expiring next year.

he would be a fool to not opt out. he is probably going to get a +$100M contract. I hope its not the Raptors giving him that contract.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,474

Post#35 » by Spida888 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:43 am

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
RapsFan008 wrote:Fred's contract is pretty good value. I was pretty anxious about his contract and OG's when they were up for renewal - afraid that we would overpay.

he would be a fool to not opt out. he is probably going to get a +$100M contract. I hope its not the Raptors giving him that contract.

Yeah same, I don’t want the Raps giving him that 100M contract. Would make even less sense if we double down on rebuilding.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,013

Post#36 » by Westside Gunn » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:24 am

thats easily generational wealth. hell if he dropped from the NBA after his 2 year contract it could still go a long way for him and his kids. Ive seen people do something like that with a lot less.

and dont forget these guys will not be spending like the antoine walkers. that was when financial literacy was at an all time low. now everyone and their dog knows about cryptos, etfs, and real estate. theres a bunch of junk on social media but a lot of educational advice on growing your money

im kinda getting sick of these podcasts though. too many of them out there offering the same boring content
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
alfie123
Starter
And1: 1,130

Post#37 » by alfie123 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:06 pm

So much hate on this board lately sheesh
ILIKEBASKETSBALL
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,143

Post#38 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:42 am

KingSebastian wrote:

That indicates that money IS finite. I think you meant, isn't infinite.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,143

Post#39 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:44 am

What a great interview by Fred. I get mad at some of his playing limitations, but he is such an admirable man.

Loved hearing his respect for Kawhi, and how Kawhi put fear into other teams' hearts. And the parade. What a year. We may never see a player like that again, or a team like it.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
rapluva
Analyst
And1: 929

Post#40 » by rapluva » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:00 am

mdenny wrote:
alfie123 wrote:Love seeing Freddie get some love.
Dude is a legit starting PG and tough as hell.

Great interview. Fave raptor of all time. Alvin Williams second.

You mean as a player..correct :o

Return to Toronto Raptors