ImageImageImageImageImage

Precious

Moderators: 7 Footer, Reeko, lebron stopper, Morris_Shatford, DG88, niQ, gojoorange

Raptorfan2012
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,041
And1: 3,204
Joined: Mar 25, 2012

Re: Precious 

Post#21 » by Raptorfan2012 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:53 pm

TeamDisgruntled wrote:Posted this in a different thread but it’s also relevant here. He is Biyombo reincarnated right now. Game changing defender but also game changing on offence, as in 4 vs 5 out there. His touch around the rim has honestly felt worse than Biyombos in his tenure as a raptor, but the jumper seems like it has the potential to come along eventually.


Precious will need to block a few more shots to become like Bismack, and we can definitely use him as a better rim protector.

IMO Precious has been solid since his return from his shoulder injury. He has simplified his offense somewhat. His early struggles were more because he wanted to do too much. By cutting back on his offense responsibilities, I think Precious will actually be better; just stick to cutting, put backs (or pass out if the post is too crowded), and hitting the occasional open jumper.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
Posts: 25,589
And1: 13,687
Joined: Mar 09, 2004
     

Re: Precious 

Post#22 » by Basketball_Jones » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:59 pm

TeamDisgruntled wrote:Posted this in a different thread but it’s also relevant here. He is Biyombo reincarnated right now. Game changing defender but also game changing on offence, as in 4 vs 5 out there. His touch around the rim has honestly felt worse than Biyombos in his tenure as a raptor, but the jumper seems like it has the potential to come along eventually.


Interesting comparison. I bet their block rates are even similar, Biyombo didn’t really block a ton of shots but he was intimidating as hell. He also finished much stronger then Precious though. I can’t recall Bismack missing dunks.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
DelAbbot
Analyst
Posts: 3,362
And1: 4,641
Joined: May 22, 2019
   

Re: Precious 

Post#23 » by DelAbbot » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:01 pm

dTox wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=cKLaP111pdFfdrQ5sLH27Q&s=09

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk


Yes Precious missed the rotation to the corner 3, but this entire sequence opened up because of Banton who got caught in no-man's land on that screen.

Banton's team defense is terrible.
User avatar
OakleyDokely
RealGM
Posts: 21,081
And1: 43,834
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: 416
 

Re: Precious 

Post#24 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:14 pm

ItsDanger wrote:And he's shooting 37.2% against all of his opponents. Net loss. These stats are kind of misleading anyways. Kind of hard to accurately compile them from game situations. Maybe more valid over a bigger sample. Anyways, this guy should have been viewed as a work in progress and I'm sure most can see it now. Played better after return from injury.

I wonder if they should consider carrying 3 C's. Birch to me is 25 minutes max. Achiuwa questionable today. Can they handle the physical toll being smaller over 82 games? So far the evidence indicates no.
Players only shot 46% against him as a rookie last year.
User avatar
Backcountry
Sophomore
Posts: 185
And1: 205
Joined: Feb 22, 2021
Location: North of We The North
     

Re: Precious 

Post#25 » by Backcountry » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:25 pm

Percentages are good to know, but what are the volumes associated with those? If GYJ has a higher percentage against but he discourages a lot of shots from being taken, then that has to be taken into account. Is there a stat that measures shot attempts per times defending?
When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave
User avatar
Mikistan
RealGM
Posts: 19,661
And1: 30,456
Joined: Jun 30, 2008
Location: Shamblesland
     

Re: Precious 

Post#26 » by Mikistan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:26 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
dTox wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=cKLaP111pdFfdrQ5sLH27Q&s=09

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk


Yes Precious missed the rotation to the corner 3, but this entire sequence opened up because of Banton who got caught in no-man's land on that screen.

Banton's team defense is terrible.

Meh - if siakam goes to the shooter he should be yelling I GOT SHOOTER - TAKE MY CORNER

theres just no communication
Image
User avatar
Stromile12
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,309
And1: 11,188
Joined: Oct 22, 2006
 

Re: Precious 

Post#27 » by Stromile12 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:43 pm

Someone make him do the Mikan drill for 24 hours straight
Rapsalot
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,867
And1: 1,501
Joined: Mar 11, 2007
Location: Traveling
     

Re: Precious 

Post#28 » by Rapsalot » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:52 pm

He has good value and hope he grows as player with us.
kalel123
Analyst
Posts: 3,639
And1: 1,995
Joined: Oct 19, 2004

Re: Precious 

Post#29 » by kalel123 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:02 pm

Just needs to clean up his offense. Don't feel empowered to do anything you want out there on O. Perfect it more in practice before you feel like you can do them in real games.
KL78192020
General Manager
Posts: 8,639
And1: 7,469
Joined: Apr 19, 2009

Re: Precious 

Post#30 » by KL78192020 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:15 pm

TeamDisgruntled wrote:Posted this in a different thread but it’s also relevant here. He is Biyombo reincarnated right now. Game changing defender but also game changing on offence, as in 4 vs 5 out there. His touch around the rim has honestly felt worse than Biyombos in his tenure as a raptor, but the jumper seems like it has the potential to come along eventually.


Precious can actually shoot the 3. He's shooting in poorly so far, but the shot can improve. Bismack is 0-3 from the 3 point line for his career. Precious will be a far better offensive player.
User avatar
MadDogSHWA
Head Coach
Posts: 6,349
And1: 3,655
Joined: Nov 17, 2004

Re: Precious 

Post#31 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:19 pm

Incredible numbers for a 2nd-year player. I think it's obvious his offensive game will come along.
Scotia Barnes Arena
Scotty Bank Arena
Scotty Barnes Arena

Let Siakam, OG, & Scotty share the offensive AND defensive load. I don't want a high-usage guy too tired to defend.
User avatar
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,653
And1: 6,290
Joined: Jul 03, 2019
Location: Braga, Portugal
         

Re: Precious 

Post#32 » by fbalmeida » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:28 pm

I really like Precious' upside. I think it warrants him being a starter, from the developmental point of view alone.
Image
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
aminiaturebuddha
Analyst
Posts: 3,651
And1: 3,618
Joined: Aug 07, 2006

Re: Precious 

Post#33 » by aminiaturebuddha » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:27 pm

Mikistan wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
dTox wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=cKLaP111pdFfdrQ5sLH27Q&s=09

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk


Yes Precious missed the rotation to the corner 3, but this entire sequence opened up because of Banton who got caught in no-man's land on that screen.

Banton's team defense is terrible.

Meh - if siakam goes to the shooter he should be yelling I GOT SHOOTER - TAKE MY CORNER

theres just no communication


Where was Pascal in that vid? I don't think he was on the court. Do you mean Boucher? He's the one that came out to the open shooter that Banton left alone.

But yeah, you're right. No communication. From the beginning there wasn't any between Banton and Fred on who was going to guard the ballhandler into the paint, and then none on who was coming out to the shooter, and then none again on the back line because no one came out to the corner man. This seems to have been a persistent problem lately.
User avatar
Mikistan
RealGM
Posts: 19,661
And1: 30,456
Joined: Jun 30, 2008
Location: Shamblesland
     

Re: Precious 

Post#34 » by Mikistan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:31 am

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Yes Precious missed the rotation to the corner 3, but this entire sequence opened up because of Banton who got caught in no-man's land on that screen.

Banton's team defense is terrible.

Meh - if siakam goes to the shooter he should be yelling I GOT SHOOTER - TAKE MY CORNER

theres just no communication


Where was Pascal in that vid? I don't think he was on the court. Do you mean Boucher? He's the one that came out to the open shooter that Banton left alone.

But yeah, you're right. No communication. From the beginning there wasn't any between Banton and Fred on who was going to guard the ballhandler into the paint, and then none on who was coming out to the shooter, and then none again on the back line because no one came out to the corner man. This seems to have been a persistent problem lately.

Ya you are right sorry it's boucher

It's because our defense vlogs and collapses, the strategy is to cycle rotations until their offense misses. It's tough, not every guy has that motor and once our guys get tired the defensive iq drops even further
Image
no dice
Pro Prospect
Posts: 942
And1: 604
Joined: Apr 30, 2010

Re: Precious 

Post#35 » by no dice » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:55 am

I thought the title meant he is a ball stopper. He is always 1 dribble too much to pass the damn ball even in inbound
Image
User avatar
WaltFrazier
General Manager
Posts: 8,217
And1: 7,041
Joined: Jan 21, 2006
Location: Ontario
       

Re: Precious 

Post#36 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:24 am

ItsDanger wrote:And he's shooting 37.2% against all of his opponents. Net loss. These stats are kind of misleading anyways. Kind of hard to accurately compile them from game situations. Maybe more valid over a bigger sample. Anyways, this guy should have been viewed as a work in progress and I'm sure most can see it now. Played better after return from injury.

I wonder if they should consider carrying 3 C's. Birch to me is 25 minutes max. Achiuwa questionable today. Can they handle the physical toll being smaller over 82 games? So far the evidence indicates no.

A 3rd center who can play is a must, between injuries and Precious offensive struggles. Boucher and our best forwards can't play center. Our best games have all been when Birch and Achiuwa both play, but they've missed a bunch lately and we become badly undersized
User avatar
WaltFrazier
General Manager
Posts: 8,217
And1: 7,041
Joined: Jan 21, 2006
Location: Ontario
       

Re: Precious 

Post#37 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:37 am

Precious stepped up huge tonight. Imagine if he can keep up the three point shooting, what a difference it will make
tecumseh18
RealGM
Posts: 15,258
And1: 7,556
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Location: Big green house
 

Re: Precious 

Post#38 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:39 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:
TeamDisgruntled wrote:Posted this in a different thread but it’s also relevant here. He is Biyombo reincarnated right now. Game changing defender but also game changing on offence, as in 4 vs 5 out there. His touch around the rim has honestly felt worse than Biyombos in his tenure as a raptor, but the jumper seems like it has the potential to come along eventually.


Interesting comparison. I bet their block rates are even similar, Biyombo didn’t really block a ton of shots but he was intimidating as hell. He also finished much stronger then Precious though. I can’t recall Bismack missing dunks.


Let's just agree to call them completely different players, with no commonalities whatsoever. :lol:
"Say asterisk one more time, m_____rf_____r!"
TeamDisgruntled
Freshman
Posts: 60
And1: 85
Joined: Jan 27, 2021

Re: Precious 

Post#39 » by TeamDisgruntled » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:42 am

tecumseh18 wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:
TeamDisgruntled wrote:Posted this in a different thread but it’s also relevant here. He is Biyombo reincarnated right now. Game changing defender but also game changing on offence, as in 4 vs 5 out there. His touch around the rim has honestly felt worse than Biyombos in his tenure as a raptor, but the jumper seems like it has the potential to come along eventually.


Interesting comparison. I bet their block rates are even similar, Biyombo didn’t really block a ton of shots but he was intimidating as hell. He also finished much stronger then Precious though. I can’t recall Bismack missing dunks.


Let's just agree to call them completely different players, with no commonalities whatsoever. :lol:


I compared their impact on defence and their touch around the rim. I also mentioned that his jumper had potential, I’m not saying they are the same player.. but was having a similar Impact on the floor thus far.
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 33,409
And1: 33,594
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Precious 

Post#40 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:42 am

It showed tonight in spades, with PA in foul trouble we were awful that first half and played no defence. Forget the points or 3s, he anchored the D.

Return to Toronto Raptors


cron