ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2022 Draft Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Reeko, lebron stopper, Morris_Shatford, DG88, niQ, gojoorange

User avatar
Psubs
RealGM
Posts: 13,381
And1: 8,698
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#361 » by Psubs » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:38 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:gimme Justin’s brother


@1:17 :onfire:



@2:29 clutch 3
@2:48 drives draws the double and trusts his teammate to hit the 3
@3:02 clutch 3 to take the lead

Image
Ell Curry
Analyst
Posts: 3,468
And1: 766
Joined: Oct 27, 2001
Location: Newfoundland

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#362 » by Ell Curry » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:05 am

I'm impressed TyTy is shooting so well (from 3 and long 2) and playing well as a 2 despite obviously being a 1 (17 assists the other night). I wonder if he'll be around when we pick.
Where's the D?
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 33,083
And1: 20,502
Joined: Jul 26, 2008
Location: You don't know my location but I know yours
     

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#363 » by DG88 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:42 pm

Another big guard prospect I'm looking at is Dyson Daniels on the G League Ignite team. We lack good guard play after Fred and Gary and having another solid guard prospect could go a long way.

;ab_channel=AdamSpinella

;ab_channel=TheScoutingRapport

Solid athlete, good defender, good rebounder, great passer on the move and in PnR.
Image
will
RealGM
Posts: 34,775
And1: 31,356
Joined: Jan 08, 2006
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant
Contact:
         

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#364 » by will » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:47 pm

That Scottie & Chet dream. Keeping it alive.

Raps gonna need another ball handler/playmaker at the wing.
Image
User avatar
ItsDanger
RealGM
Posts: 12,478
And1: 8,622
Joined: Nov 01, 2008

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#365 » by ItsDanger » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:11 pm

Read on Twitter


Will be interesting to watch tomorrow going up against Cockburn.

Read on Twitter


Apparently, Edey has done a 5:50 mile. That's incredible for being 7'4 295 lb
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
User avatar
Psubs
RealGM
Posts: 13,381
And1: 8,698
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#366 » by Psubs » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:37 pm

What about 7'1 Walker Kessler? Steals:Turnover is almost 1 and 4.1 blocks to 2.4 fouls. Transfer from UNC.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/walker-kessler-1.html

@0:46 look at that lateral quickness on defense.
@1:33 shows on the P&R then recovers to block the roll man!



@0:14 guards the P&R and blocks the guard shooting a 3.
@1:27 avoids the charge on the P&R for the lay up.

Image
sofargone
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,333
And1: 1,065
Joined: Dec 11, 2010
 

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#367 » by sofargone » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:28 pm

i know masai loving this kid

;ab_channel=TheScoutingRapport
User avatar
Psubs
RealGM
Posts: 13,381
And1: 8,698
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#368 » by Psubs » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:16 pm

sofargone wrote:i know masai loving this kid

;ab_channel=TheScoutingRapport


He's a junior and 1 year older than Kessler. Both have broken out this season.

Kessler plays for #4 Auburn with Freshman Phenom Jabari Smith.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jabari-smith-2.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/walker-kessler-1.html

Kessler's ORtg and DRtg are better than Jabari's, so he's at least as important to the team being 16-1.
Image
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 33,083
And1: 20,502
Joined: Jul 26, 2008
Location: You don't know my location but I know yours
     

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#369 » by DG88 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:34 pm

Found another article on Dyson Daniels. Again he looks and fits the mold of the types of prospect that we look for. If Masai is trying to build a team of 6'6-6'9 players who can shoot, pass, rebound, and defend Daniels just makes so much sense.

https://www.thestepien.com/2021/11/07/the-development-of-dyson-daniels/

Dyson Daniels is a basketball player figuring out how to be a hooper. For all the simplicities of that framework, it does elucidate a shorthand for how players approach the game.

A “basketball player” refers to a more rigid mindset, players who show up to run down their laundry list of objectives instead of, you know, just hooping. Similar is the “academy brain” criticism levied at players who get caught up in the details of the game, missing the forest through the trees so to speak (where the forest = buckets).

Dyson Daniels is an enigma to these frameworks and reveals how players can live on the edges of labels used to define prospects. The years immediately preceding a player entering the draft and the first few with their new team are key for determining not just what skills a player does or does not have, but also how they’re going to interact with The Game writ large. Daniels shows how, especially following athletic gains, a prospect’s skills can interact with each other in unique and evolving ways, even to such extent as to change a player’s entire archetype.


Pre-2021, Daniels was 6'4 PG who was a scrappy smart defender and passer.
The top priority for Daniels over this stretch, a 6’4’’ point guard-only at the time, was defense. Daniels, from the start, has had a high defensive acumen combined with consistent excellent effort. His hallmarks at this time were ball denial, scrapping for loose balls, consistently useful boxing out and general elite awareness for how plays will develop, a knack for being in the right spot. He was typically the most active defender on the court and could pull off risky help rotations that most could not with his timing, good hand-eye coordination and plus wingspan. These same traits led him to strong rebounding numbers on both ends, particularly for his size. Daniels, from a young age, knew how to leverage his physicality all over the court, even when he was just a middling athlete compared to his competition.


Here his two best traits work together beautifully: Daniels’ constant ball hawking on defense and on the glass means he often gets the ball in his hands to start the break. His ability to process the floor quickly and make good decisions means he excels in transition, even as he presented little scoring threat of his own.


Right there highlights the type of mentality and plays that the team is doing today. He's carried those traits into the G League. He's grown 2 more inches and added some muscle to his frame making it easier for him to pull off more impressive defensive plays.

Dyson Daniels in 2021 is almost unrecognizable compared to previously. So far in 2021 Dyson Daniels has played in a regional Australian tournament (where he won MVP), the U-20 Australian Junior Championships (where he put up 17 points, 9 rebounds and 5 assists per game) and the FIBA U-19 World Cup (where he put up 14 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists per game).

The first difference is his shooting form and, just as importantly, his shooting confidence. Daniels previously would have to be completely wide open to take a shot, and even then often hesitated. Now, he’s taking step-back threes, running off screens to catch and shoot, taking threes off in-and-out dribbles and so forth. His frame appears more solid and follow-through more consistent with cleaner footwork allowing him to square off towards the basket better.

While he still reverts to his old flaws here and there, Daniels is now a viable threat from three in all kinds of play types. His free throw shooting is somewhat a cause for concern, not showing the same improvement in percentage even though the form looks much improved.

The second noticeable difference is Daniels’ improved physicality. He was now listed as 6’6’’ for Australia’s FIBA U-19 roster and appeared to have added in 10 pounds of muscle.

Additionally, Daniels’ handle appears improved, particularly his ability to make moves nimbly in tight spaces and his left hand, both major weaknesses before. While his handle in the open court is still sub-standard for an NBA point guard, it is now good enough to open up Daniels to more complex driving.

With his new physicality, Daniels is now a major cutting threat, even catching alley oops, something he never dreamed of previously. With his strength and exceptional balance, Daniels is able to finish through contact even against good rim protectors (i.e. nearly finishing a very tough and-one against Chet Holmgren at 2:42 in the next video) and is now a useful screener.

Daniels still has his signature patience and passing awareness, and, always good at finding pain points, is now able to leverage his new strength and handle to get teammates wide open looks on the perimeter. To score, Daniels developed his first consistently reliable move in his hesitation/in-and-out to low drive, spin and floater from a few feet out. This move utilizes Daniels’ torrid first step and physicality, while also allowing him several opportunities to kick out or drop the ball off if the opponent over-helps. As we remember from his 2018-2020 period, Daniels was already excellent at finding shooters, and now they’re often left wide open due to his own newfound scoring versatility.


Right now they compare him to a Malcolm Brogdon/Dejounte Murray type player as what he's projected to become, which would be pretty nice to get in the teens if he's still there.
Image
User avatar
Kevin Willis
RealGM
Posts: 10,941
And1: 6,831
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
       

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#370 » by Kevin Willis » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:07 pm

Psubs wrote:
sofargone wrote:i know masai loving this kid

;ab_channel=TheScoutingRapport


He's a junior and 1 year older than Kessler. Both have broken out this season.

Kessler plays for #4 Auburn with Freshman Phenom Jabari Smith.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jabari-smith-2.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/walker-kessler-1.html

Kessler's ORtg and DRtg are better than Jabari's, so he's at least as important to the team being 16-1.


Edey is Kessler but bigger, taller, with better stats, can run a fast mile and from Toronto. Edey is a worse defender and not as good a shot blocker. Hmmm - I might have talked myself off of Edey if Kessler can run a fast break.
You get COVID! And you get COVID! Everybody gets COVID!

- Omicron Winfrey
User avatar
CoinTossRoss31
Pro Prospect
Posts: 752
And1: 757
Joined: Jan 01, 2013
Location: Ottawa
         

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#371 » by CoinTossRoss31 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:14 pm

Purely looking at this from a prototype standpoint. Who are the guys in this draft that fit the Toronto Raptors draft image?

- Athletic
- Strong Defender
- Freak measurements with a long wingspan
- May be overlooked due to subpar shooting.
Image
GM89
Freshman
Posts: 95
And1: 79
Joined: May 25, 2020
 

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#372 » by GM89 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:00 pm

DG88 wrote:Right now they compare him to a Malcolm Brogdon/Dejounte Murray type player as what he's projected to become, which would be pretty nice to get in the teens if he's still there.


In the past I hoped for Masai to pull off a hattrick and gives us a FVV +Brogdon backcourt. Both are tough 2way players who can pass and make tough shots.
User avatar
PhilBlackson
RealGM
Posts: 22,153
And1: 35,407
Joined: May 02, 2017
Location: No Wastemans Land
     

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#373 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:07 pm

CoinTossRoss31 wrote:Purely looking at this from a prototype standpoint. Who are the guys in this draft that fit the Toronto Raptors draft image?

- Athletic
- Strong Defender
- Freak measurements with a long wingspan
- May be overlooked due to subpar shooting.


Tari Eason seems like the most obvious candidate if we're going strictly by that description.

Others might be Ousmane Dieng, Dereon Seabron and maybe Jeremy Sochan.

Personally I don't think they're gonna be so dead set that a player "must" be 6'8+ lol it's not like Fred, Gary, Svi etc aren't on the team. Unless by fluke (and at this point I think he's just gonna skyrocket back up the boards) AJ Griffin falls to us, I'll continue to think that the darkhorse pick for our team will be JULIAN CHAMPAGNIE.

Yes we already have his brother on the roster which will only continue to help build lockerroom chemistry but Julian isn't far off those "prototypical" physical dimensions listed at 6'7.5-8, can play SG which would be a big upgrade in size/height and really I have no idea why he continues to be projected as a 2nd round pick when he's imo better than at least half the players in the 2nd half of the 1st round. The kid has been a walking bucket this year and last (we clearly need bench scoring), not to mention an excellent rebounder for the position (nearly 8rpg) which will be welcomed on a team like ours lacking a traditional C. Top it off we're a team that isn't afraid of taking multi-yeared college player and/or taking players higher than expected (see Pascal who was mainly projected mid-to-late 2nd rd, even further back than Julian) and I think there's a good chance we take him imo but of course there's always the possibility of a player dropping so we'll see...
>>>SCOTTIE2HOTTIE<<< Ya Boi Scottie & Gua Gang -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar:
Image TANK4JABARI
User avatar
Psubs
RealGM
Posts: 13,381
And1: 8,698
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#374 » by Psubs » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:23 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
CoinTossRoss31 wrote:Purely looking at this from a prototype standpoint. Who are the guys in this draft that fit the Toronto Raptors draft image?

- Athletic
- Strong Defender
- Freak measurements with a long wingspan
- May be overlooked due to subpar shooting.


Tari Eason seems like the most obvious candidate if we're going strictly by that description.

Others might be Ousmane Dieng, Dereon Seabron and maybe Jeremy Sochan.

Personally I don't think they're gonna be so dead set that a player "must" be 6'8+ lol it's not like Fred, Gary, Svi etc aren't on the team. Unless by fluke (and at this point I think he's just gonna skyrocket back up the boards) AJ Griffin falls to us, I'll continue to think that the darkhorse pick for our team will be JULIAN CHAMPAGNIE.

Yes we already have his brother on the roster which will only continue to help build lockerroom chemistry but Julian isn't far off those "prototypical" physical dimensions listed at 6'7.5-8, can play SG which would be a big upgrade in size/height and really I have no idea why he continues to be projected as a 2nd round pick when he's imo better than at least half the players in the 2nd half of the 1st round. The kid has been a walking bucket this year and last (we clearly need bench scoring), not to mention an excellent rebounder for the position (nearly 8rpg) which will be welcomed on a team like ours lacking a traditional C. Top it off we're a team that isn't afraid of taking multi-yeared college player and/or taking players higher than expected (see Pascal who was mainly projected mid-to-late 2nd rd, even further back than Julian) and I think there's a good chance we take him imo but of course there's always the possibility of a player dropping so we'll see...


Can Julian guard SG's? Because, I can't see him taking PT from OG, Siakam or Barnes at the forward spots. I like that he gets 2 steals (1.2 to's) and 1.3 blocks (1.5 fouls) per game. Though his team's schedule seems much softer than the last 2 seasons.
Image
User avatar
Psubs
RealGM
Posts: 13,381
And1: 8,698
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#375 » by Psubs » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:26 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
Psubs wrote:
sofargone wrote:i know masai loving this kid

;ab_channel=TheScoutingRapport


He's a junior and 1 year older than Kessler. Both have broken out this season.

Kessler plays for #4 Auburn with Freshman Phenom Jabari Smith.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jabari-smith-2.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/walker-kessler-1.html

Kessler's ORtg and DRtg are better than Jabari's, so he's at least as important to the team being 16-1.


Edey is Kessler but bigger, taller, with better stats, can run a fast mile and from Toronto. Edey is a worse defender and not as good a shot blocker. Hmmm - I might have talked myself off of Edey if Kessler can run a fast break.


Kessler can run the fast break, whereas Edey looks too big to run up and down the court for more than 20mpg. Kessler looks more agile and is 7'1 more like a Tyson Chandler.
Image
User avatar
Kevin Willis
RealGM
Posts: 10,941
And1: 6,831
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
       

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#376 » by Kevin Willis » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:29 pm

Psubs wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:
Psubs wrote:
He's a junior and 1 year older than Kessler. Both have broken out this season.

Kessler plays for #4 Auburn with Freshman Phenom Jabari Smith.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jabari-smith-2.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/walker-kessler-1.html

Kessler's ORtg and DRtg are better than Jabari's, so he's at least as important to the team being 16-1.


Edey is Kessler but bigger, taller, with better stats, can run a fast mile and from Toronto. Edey is a worse defender and not as good a shot blocker. Hmmm - I might have talked myself off of Edey if Kessler can run a fast break.


Kessler can run the fast break, whereas Edey looks too big to run up and down the court for more than 20mpg. Kessler looks more agile and is 7'1 more like a Tyson Chandler.


Why are his offensive stats so low (ppg)? He's not getting much first round talk also.
You get COVID! And you get COVID! Everybody gets COVID!

- Omicron Winfrey
User avatar
PhilBlackson
RealGM
Posts: 22,153
And1: 35,407
Joined: May 02, 2017
Location: No Wastemans Land
     

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#377 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:10 pm

No way I'd waste a 1st on any of the Cs being listed.

There all fairly unskilled bigs with a similar prototype as a rim running lob threat that can rebound and occasionally block a shot. Guaranteed at least several of them will be available in the 2nd rd and there will be teams that will take cash considerations for them. I don't see much that separates Williams, Koloko, Kamagate, Edey, Badji, Hukporti etc. from each other.
>>>SCOTTIE2HOTTIE<<< Ya Boi Scottie & Gua Gang -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar:
Image TANK4JABARI
User avatar
Indeed
RealGM
Posts: 18,188
And1: 2,312
Joined: Aug 21, 2009

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#378 » by Indeed » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:01 pm

User avatar
Psubs
RealGM
Posts: 13,381
And1: 8,698
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#379 » by Psubs » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:41 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:No way I'd waste a 1st on any of the Cs being listed.

There all fairly unskilled bigs with a similar prototype as a rim running lob threat that can rebound and occasionally block a shot. Guaranteed at least several of them will be available in the 2nd rd and there will be teams that will take cash considerations for them. I don't see much that separates Williams, Koloko, Kamagate, Edey, Badji, Hukporti etc. from each other.


https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2022/01/inside-steven-pearls-sales-pitch-to-walker-kessler.html

Kessler was a McDonald's All-American.

“We got an opportunity to show what we’ve done with our big men that shoot well,” Steven said. “We had to re-do our presentation on how’d we’d use Walker. Playing with Jabari was a big selling point. Jabari asked if he could join a Zoom himself when we were recruiting Walker.

Kessler takes the pressure off Smith on the defensive end as a rim protector. On offense, Kessler can spread the court with his three-point shooting or his work around the rim with tip-back dunks.


https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2021-12-29-19-auburn.html

Looking at Jabari Smith, Tari Eason and Walker Kessler, the boxscore shows that Kessler was clearly the best player in this game. Ya, picking his triple double game is cherry picking. :D Noting that Eason is also already a sophomore transfer like Kessler.

I think I'd draft Kessler over Duren, since I view JD as a better hands Kwame Brown that has trouble vs length.
Image
User avatar
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 10,313
And1: 15,275
Joined: Jan 04, 2015
Location: East side, in a deluxe apartment in the sky.
   

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#380 » by Reeko » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:46 pm

If we tank towards the end of the year, my hope is that we can pick one of Johnny Davis or Mathurin. It’s a long shot, but a man can dream.
A RealGM is just a ball-boy that never quit.

Return to Toronto Raptors